Posted at 8:43 AM ET, 11/20/2008

Morning Mix: Hugh Jackman Named Sexiest Man Alive

By Liz Kelly

Wednesday, 9:30 a.m. ET: Gene Simmons rings the NYSE opening bell. 4 p.m. ET: The Dow closes below 8,000 for the first time in five years. Dismissed as coincidence. (Getty Images)
Thursday

Headlines: People names Hugh Jackman the Sexiest Man Alive (Celebritologist's reaction: "Meh.")... Beyonce named Seventeen's Style Star of the Year... Paris Hilton and Benji Madden split... Britney Spears says she married K-Fed for "all the wrong reasons"... Angelina Jolie says she's not ready to quit acting yet... Gwyneth Paltrow says she regrets wearing fur in ad... Bloody, dead Amy Winehouse sculpture goes on display in New York... Pam Anderson asks Barack Obama to legalize marijuana... Alicia Silverstone writes vegan diet book... Winona Ryder hospitalized, released after falling ill on flight to London... Parole officer puts kibosh on Michael Lohan boxing match... Miley Cyrus giggles like a fool when Ellen asks about boyfriend Justin Gaston... Michael Jackson slated to appear in London court next week.. Rita Wilson sued for backing out of Beatles memorabilia buy... Taco Bell countersues 50 Cent.

Pix: Katie Holmes, who reportedly is set to launch her own line of jeans... Even Eva Longoria wears Spanx... Robert Downey Jr. on the "Sherlock Holmes" set... George Clooney on the set of "Men Who Stare at Goats."

Crime Watch: Jennifer Garner gets court ordered protection against stalker.

Rumor Mill: Madonna and Guy Ritchie reportedly reach divorce settlement... Kelly Osbourne engaged, according to boyfriend's Facebook page... Is Gwyneth Paltrow (who today shares her GOOP-y Thanksgiving recipes) following pal Madonna down the divorce path?... Mel Gibson denies his marriage is in trouble.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's Celebritology Live discussion.

---

Mark Your Calendars: Mighty Appetite blogger Kim O'Donnel and I will be on hand Thursday, Dec. 4 from 6 - 8 p.m. for an official meet-and-greet at D.C.'s M Bar at the Renaissance M St Hotel. Come on out. We can't wait to meet you. (Facebookers: Details here.)

By Liz Kelly  | November 20, 2008; 8:43 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Have Yourself a Merry Little Hoff-mas
Next: Pop Psychology: Deconstructing Britney

Comments

You can tell that Amy Winehouse sculpture is not real - it's too clean and fully dressed - the real Amy would never look like that.

Miley, jeez girl, get a friggin grip.

Posted by: VaLGaL | November 20, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Huh. Both People and Seventeen seem to be seriously mistaken. That or it's finally time to pull my claw out of the back of my closet. YES!!

Posted by: aesully | November 20, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Gene Simmons rings the NYSE opening bell and you KISS your investments goodbye.

Britney Spears says she married K-Fed for "all the wrong reasons"... realizes now she could have simply purchased his CD in the delete bin at Wal-Mart for $2.99.

[Amy Winehouse comment redacted due to VaLGal beating me to the punch.]

It's just as well Rita Wilson backed out of buying the Beatles poster. She'd feel pretty silly after mailing it to Ringo for an autograph and he throws it out...

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 20, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

You've outdone yourself this morning.

What an amazing collection of - what - seleb silliness. You even found a Mel Gibson item.

'sigh' It just doesn't get better than this!

Yours in awe,

Curmudgeon

PS: Maybe we should list the Top 10 Wrong Reasons Brit Married K-Fed

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 20, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...People magazine seems to have left off the article on me.

Give it a couple of weeks and you won't be able to tell the statue from the real Amy Winehouse.

Pamela Anderson writes an error-laden missive, well so much for the benefits of a Canadian education.

Don't feel bad Miley, Ellen does the same thing talking about Portia.

Katie Holmes, jorts? Really?

Angelina Jolie says she's not ready to quit acting yet...but we are.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 20, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

PS: Maybe we should list the Top 10 Wrong Reasons Brit Married K-Fed

-Mudge
-------
OOH, fun!
10. His rockin' dance moves.

For some reason the "Eva Longoria wears spanx" thing is sticking in my head. I'd love to make a comment about her 'I'm not pregnant, just fat' stance, but I'm not caffienated enough to make it coherent.

And I don't understand about Hugh Jackman. Can someone explain to me exactly how he's sexy? That face ruins a perfectly good body, in my opinion.

Posted by: eet7e | November 20, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Oooo, Curmudgeon, that's a good idea. I think all of the reasons can be summed up thusly, though: because he's Kevin f'ing Federline.

Best Fug Girls posting ever on Kevin Federline: http://gofugyourself.celebuzz.com/go_fug_yourself/2006/10/letter-of-truth-part-boo-yeah.html

Posted by: SugarMagnolia22 | November 20, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

PS: Maybe we should list the Top 10 Wrong Reasons Brit Married K-Fed

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 20, 2008 9:15 AM

*******************************************

9. The man wears a fedora. Need I say anything more?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 20, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Hugh J is sexy b/c he is rugged. He's not your typical "pretty boy". Some of us, like a man who looks like he's been out working all day instead of in the spa getting his eyebrows waxed and nails done.

Down with the pretty boys!

Posted by: rkrush | November 20, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

8. He had a pregnant girlfriend when you picked him to be Britney's husband.

Posted by: Amelia5 | November 20, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

7: Attempt to get over that 55-hour-long previous marriage to Jason Alexander (itself a mistake in that she thought he'd played George on Seinfeld).

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 20, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Miley giggles about her boyfriend? This is (even celeb) news? She's a teenaged girl, fugawdsake!

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 20, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Down with the pretty boys!

Posted by: rkrush | November 20, 2008 9:32 AM
****************************

Yes yes yes! Hugh J., Clive Owen, Daniel Craig=studs galore.

Posted by: jelo | November 20, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Gene Simmons I think rang the CLOSING bell at 4 PM. The NYSE opens at 0930.

Posted by: ronjaboy | November 20, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

6: Nobody deserves Lynne Spears as a mother-in-law. (See also #8 on Jamie Lynn's '...Casey Aldridge' list.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 20, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Sexiest Man of the Year - Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Jackman, huge MEH

Posted by: kawilson69 | November 20, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Wondered why Jen G was worried about being stalked by a geek when I've seen her kick plenty of butt on TV. Then I saw that she is preggo again, which any good Lizard wouldn't already known.

Somehow the fact that Eva Longoria wears Spanx makes her seem more human. Not entirely, just more.

Posted by: reddragon1 | November 20, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

LTL unlurks...

Hugh Jackman is TOTALLY on my kitchen pass list... He seems to me to do well to realistically portray very different 'looks', he's been rugged, he's been sophisticated, etc. and wears them all well.

I also think part of the appeal (at least for me) is that he comes off as a genuine nice guy. With a smokin bod.

Ok since I unlurked, I am also going to comment on the Miley Cyrus thing. Not a fan and generally not a positive commenter on Mz. Cyrus, I have to say though that the interview made her seem just like a very normal teen age girl deep in her first major infatuation (possibly under very strict orders to NOT call this guy her boyfriend)....

Posted by: LTL1 | November 20, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Just what are the "right" reasons for marrying K-Fed?

I bet when George Clooney stares at a goat, his head is bent down and his eyes are looking up (cf. every single frickin' "E.R." episode).

Couldn't Tom Hanks just invite Paul and Ringo to dinner and take a photo? Even if he covered aifare, surely it'd be cheaper than $75K.

What is it with illness and London? First Michael Jackson, now Winona Ryder. Did Jermaine Dupri throw up on them too?

TACO BELL CLERK: "Welcome to Taco Bell, how may I help you?"
50 CENT: "I'd like a soft taco, my good man."
TBC: "80 cents."
50 CENT: "50 Cent!"
TBC: "I said 80 cents"
50 CENT: "How dare you! 50 Cent!"
TBC: "Look McDonald's has a clown; we don't need one. 80 cents."
50 CENT: "You have defamed my character, sir. I'll sue!"
TBC: "Whatevs."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 20, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Y'know, Gwynnie's GOOPy recipes actually look pretty good - especially the salad, if you can get past that garlic "pushed through a press" bit. (The garlic press should be held in the same regard as Weingarten holds automatic transmissions or digital watches. Sez ME, that's who.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 20, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 20, 2008 9:59 AM

****

Which is how he gets the goat to do exactly what he wants.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 20, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

TD, thanks for the giggle.

And I totally second Robert Downey, Jr. as sexiest man. He's far too old for me, but a girl can dream.

Posted by: aesully | November 20, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Top ten reasons for Brit not to have married K Fed. (I'm sure we can come up with more than 10).

5. Cameo on Taco Bell Commercial deadly accurate.

4. Poor (very poor) subsititute for Justin Timberlake

Posted by: hodie | November 20, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

5: Having babies with a backup dancer whose own fame pales next to yours is never a good indicator of a long-term commitment (cf. Leon, Carlos).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 20, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I was going to comment on how dignified and flattering Madonna's new hairstyle is to her well-preserved yet 50-year-old face, but then I scrolled down the page and saw the head-to-toe shot -- man, she looks like the female Rambo who had to blaze a trail through a forest of ferns to get to that New York charity gala.

Posted by: 44west | November 20, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

ARRGH. Missed it by *that much* Make mine number 3, then:

3: Having babies with a backup dancer whose own fame pales next to yours is never a good indicator of a long-term commitment (cf. Leon, Carlos).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 20, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I'll add my "amen" to the NO PRETTY BOYS chorus. We ladies like our men real, not botox-ed and waxed and primped. Hugh Jackman's pretty cute. I'd have run out and bought the mag if they'd chosen RJD, though.

Posted by: jaybbub | November 20, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

And Madonna gives me a wicked case of "ewwww yuck". She could take some lessons from kick-a$$ woman who embrace their age and their reality and look fabulous - I'm looking at you, Judi Dench and Helen Mirren.

Posted by: jaybbub | November 20, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Not one but TWO Gwynneth Paltrow items today? Lucky us! (?)

(Aside: Am I a complete idiot that I didn't realize until JUST NOW now that the first and last letters of GOOP are her initials? I just thought she was being wifty with the blog name. What's her middle name, Overt Onomatopoeia? Anyway. . . .)

Well, perhaps she regrets wearing fur "in the ad," but it's just the thing to keep her warm and toasty when she's making chutney.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 20, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I am totally in the Hugh Jackman is sexy camp. He's rugged, has a gorgeous smile, great body, and appears to be a stand up bloke.
I don't think RDJ is sexy AT ALL, but since others feel that way about Hugh Jackman I figure it's just personal preference.

Posted by: pras40 | November 20, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

RE: Madonna's outfit in that pic...It reminds me of the line from "About A Boy" when Hugh Grant's character described the sweater worn by Toni Collette as "some sort of Yeti costume." (Due respect to our own Sasquatch, of course)
In fact that line came to me yesterday when I was shopping and thought I might like a particularly fuzzy sweater. I didn't buy it.

Posted by: pras40 | November 20, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Re GOOP recipes: Gwynnie, are you on the payroll of the Real Vermont Maple Syrup
board, or what? Seriously, I like real maple syrup as much as the next Lizard (especially on waffles, yummmm!), but syrup in THREE Thanksgiving recipes? Gimme a break! How about a little gustatory diversity at table? Her maple enthusiasm reminds me of the Newhart episode (Bob-as-shrink series) where a houseguest played by Tom Poston brings along his own supply of maple syrup and drowns all the food Emily serves him in syrup, to her horror (does anyone else recall her line about "poor defenseless ham," or words to that effect?).

byoolin, do you favor Canadian maple syrup, or Vermont's?

Agree with LTL and rkrush on Hugh Jackman, who additionally has actual show-biz talent and range (from Peter Allen in "The Boy from Oz" to Wolverine).

Check out Eva Longoria photo: while makeup makes her face look good, skin on her hands is like that of someone twice her age (scary!). Also, closeup of her bare legs makes me wonder if it isn't time for pantyhose to make a fashion comeback (besides for warmth, what with winter approaching).

Re Miley Cyrus: Agree with others that normal 16-year-old girls DO giggle over first boyfriends.

reddragon1: Sadly, not all celeb stalkers are manageable with just a few karate kicks (leaving aside the risk of the celeb getting arrested for assault, then having to try to prove self-defense). A few celebs have actually been killed by severely disturbed stalkers, many more are threatened at least verbally. Hard for normal folks to understand how a fan can be so obsessed with one person, but it happens.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey 50cent, you owe Taco Bell two more quarters!

Some one needs to explain to Pam that the executive branch does not make the laws( someone should have told W as well).

I can't picture Hugh Jackman without muttonchops and claws no matter how much I try.

GOOP, isn't that the green jellow stuff with the marshmellows that gets served at Thanksgiving every year?

Glad Katie is finally getting her own jeans and no longer has to wear Tom's hand-me-downs.

Posted by: hodie | November 20, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

P.S. Gwynnie's insouciant close to latest blog: "Next week I ask my sages what it means to BE truly grateful on Thanksgiving." Funny, I was already planning to consult my flat Italian parsley.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

hodie, I suspect Katie's jeans line is for people dumb enough to buy them, who need someone else to peg their pants legs for them because they can't figure it out for themselves. There's one born every minute.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Funny, I was already planning to consult my flat Italian parsley.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 10:26 AM

*******************************************

Nosy, for that you should be pun-ished.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 20, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

rimshots for Nosy and Dorkus.

Posted by: hodie | November 20, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Nosy - My favourite maple syrup was Canadian, but there's no more: my BFF's dad, Len, used to tap 30 or 40 trees that were on the family's cottage property and he would boil the sap down himself on an outdoor fire. Unbefreakinglievably good, and available only in small batches (it takes about 10 gallons of sap to make a quart of syrup).

Len died about 10 years ago and that really put a crimp in his syrup-making hobby.

Now I enjoy Canadian and Vermont syrup, but they always make me think of Len's homemade stuff.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 20, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

td, I would like to amend number 3:

Also, I will not buy a copy of the Sexiest Man Alive issue of People until they come to their senses and realize that it should be Clive Owen. Every year.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | November 20, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm just happy to see Suri in a coat and long pants.

That is all.

Posted by: dablues1 | November 20, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

WTF? Did Madonna mug an emu for that dress?

Posted by: dablues1 | November 20, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm good with that amendment, ASinMoCo. Not often you can find a reason to talk about Cris Judd these days.

"Beyonce named Seventeen's Style Star of the Year" -- was there an awards dinner? Was she sitting at a table with Jay-Z holding hands as the nominations were announced? Who were her competitors? Was she excited to win? Did she give a speech? Were the attendees mostly 17-year-old style icons?

Oh, and since I'm already an idiot (re: GOOP), I might as well go all the way now. Shoulda checked that Spanx link first (I was unfamiliar with the word). Now I'm going to get a call from IT about my business need to investigate "panty_flash" URLs. GREAT. I should just go home now.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 20, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

WTF? Did Madonna mug an emu for that dress?

Posted by: dablues1 | November 20, 2008 10:56 AM

*******************************************

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we have the quote for the day, possibly the week.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 20, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Agreed there are way more that 10 wrong reasons Brit and K-Fed got hitched.

2)Documenting the courtship and clearly not viewing the tape prior walking the aisle. Also, the sweatshirts with "pimp" embroidered on the back.

In what universe is Beyonce a "style star" They just give those nods to anybody huh?

Agreed Hugh Jackman is hot.

I really thought Paris and Benji would make it and have some kids. I weep for what could have been. Darn it.

Posted by: petalceleb | November 20, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

My Beavis and Butthead moment for today.

A teaser on dailymail.uk.com:

"Hugh Jackman is voted sexiest man alive..as 007 Daniel Craig follows close behind.

40-year-old Aussie beat off Pitt and Clooney to the accolade."

8th item on the "female" thingy on the right side towards the bottom of the page about Madonna:

hehehe

Posted by: dablues1 | November 20, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

GOOP:
Gwynnie's Obnoxious Obtuse Ponderings.

That's it!!

Posted by: jelo | November 20, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

9. The man wears a fedora. Need I say anything more?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 20, 2008 9:27 AM

---------------------------------------

I take it that you mean that Kfed is an insult to fedoras.

As for syrop d'erable, I'm glad that I can get the stuff at all.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Why didn't Gene Simmons use his famous tongue to ring the NYSE bell?

And who is that at picture bottom left giving Gene Simmons a camouflaged middle finger?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

sirop d'erable -- eau, l'humanité!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 12:09 PM
------------
As much as I wish I could say it was Ben Bernanke (cuz, wouldn't that be funny?)it was probably Duncan L. Niederauer, CEO of the New York Stock Exchange.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 20, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's recap, then:

TOP 10 WRONG REASONS BRIT MARRIED K-FED
List idea suggested by Curmudgeon aka Mudge aka bmschumacher

10. His rockin' dance moves. --eet7e

9. The man wears a fedora. Need I say anything more? --DorkusMaximus1

8. He had a pregnant girlfriend when you picked him to be Britney's husband. --Amelia5

7. Attempt to get over that 55-hour-long previous marriage to Jason Alexander (itself a mistake in that she thought he'd played George on Seinfeld). --byoolin1

6. Nobody deserves Lynne Spears as a mother-in-law. (See also #8 on Jamie Lynn's '...Casey Aldridge' list.) --byoolin1

5. Cameo on Taco Bell Commercial deadly accurate. --hodie

4. Poor (very poor) subsititute for Justin Timberlake. --hodie

3. Getting married to or having babies with a backup dancer whose own fame pales next to yours is never a good indicator of a long-term commitment (cf. Judd, Cris; Leon, Carlos). --td_in_baltimore / ASinMoCo

2. Documenting the courtship and clearly not viewing the tape prior walking the aisle. Also, the sweatshirts with "pimp" embroidered on the back. --petalceleb

Who's brave enough to tackle number 1?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 20, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Angelina just say last week that she was quitting acting. She is becoming the Bret Favre of acting.

I don't care that Miley Cyrus giggled when asked about her "boyfriend." I want to know why no one is questioning what a FIFTEEN year old girl is doing with a TWENTY year old man?

Posted by: epjd | November 20, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Excellent question epjd. The first time I heard about him he was a family friend.

The other day achy breaky said that he was an excellent young man who makes a great boyfriend for Miley. So apparently the parents aren't that concerned.

Posted by: petalceleb | November 20, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

AND the NUMBER ONE WRONG REASON BRIT MARRIED K-FED:

She coulda had Larry King, flatus and all.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The number one wrong reason: because she's Britney, B*tch.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

She could have been Mrs. Elias Howe!

Posted by: elias_howe | November 20, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

First fell for Hugh Jackman in "Kate and Leopold". Looking forward to "Australia" because he gets to get his rugged cowboy on. Yum. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm reliably informed by eyewitness accounts that the temperature in the room goes up a few degrees when he enters it--6 foot two of animal magnetism with a killer smile and charming sense of humor.

I agree Clive Owen (another tall dark and handsome in the field of vertically challenged pretty boys) has long been overlooked on the SMA front. Also submit Viggo Mortensen has been shamefully snubbed.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I second Sas' number one reason!

(another new keyboard from the Lizard supply store, please).

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that thinks Hugh Jackman would make a good porn name?

Hugh Jackman is **homersimpsondroolynoise**....same for RD Jr.

Two other things Hugh has goin' for him besides that he gets to wear those wicked Wolverine claws **snickety snick** is that he's into cougars (his wife is 8 years older) & in Hollywood years he's been married FOREVER, 12 years I think.

Posted by: wadejg | November 20, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I just went through a few pages of google images of Hugh and there are some really great shots of him with his kids, if that kind of "awwww" thing appeals. Also a few shots of him with long hair that are pretty wow, never seen him like that.

I like that his wife said something like "Brad wasn't available?" when informed of the selection. They sound like they have a great marriage--he's always saying she and the kids are the best things in his life.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Madonna's going to be hearing from PETA on the Muppet she skinned to make that dress. She should be on the lookout for a vigilante mob chucking boomerang fish and launching chickens from cannons.

Posted by: Wikijen | November 20, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

The Amy Winehouse sculpture ... art imitating life, except cleaner.

Oh GOD will Angelina EVER shut up? Is there nothing she won't do to keep herself in the press? Go AWAY!

I'm in the "meh" camp on Hugh Jackman. He's always seemed totally geigh to me.

Am I missing something? Gene Simmons ringing the NYSE bell? Why?

Mel Gibson's marriage is toast. Stay tuned for the matching tattoos and renewal of vows ceremony.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 20, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nosy, love that you used the word "pulchritude" in the chat--it's so one of those words that doesn't mean what it sounds like it means, or means exactly the opposite of what it sounds like it means. Excellent.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Wikijen,
At least judging from the color, we know it wasn't Big Bird!

Posted by: dablues1 | November 20, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Aw shucks, sorcerers_cat, 'twere nothing. It was either that or hawtness.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

It was Oscar the Grouch! (how appropriate) Wikijen, great quote!

Posted by: hodie | November 20, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, in the spirit of our incoming literate presidential term, I am delighted that pulchritude was chosen over hawtness. ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

oh man do i love hugh jackman! it's gotten so bad my husband has refused (that's right, out right refused) to go see any movies with me that have him in it. he says that my eyes glaze over and i start drooling. i can't help myself, something about that man just sends me to the moon.

Posted by: melissamac1 | November 20, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, in the spirit of bipartisan harmony, I betcha that Obama, McCain, Biden and First Dude have on occasion told their respective wives that they're hawt!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

How's this:

(drum roll and rim shot, please)

The Number One Wrong Reason Britney Married K-Fed IS . . .

Brit thought thought that money and K-Fed's whatsis would bring her happiness at last.

nah.

never mind.

Respectfully,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | November 20, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Did Paris Hilton Dump Benji Madden for Prince William?

Are we to infer that Paris is the next Koo Stark?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Just to be clear, I was being partisan here only in the sense of celebrating elegant speaking and writing style returning to the office. Romney, Biden, several others would also have brought a sense of literacy. I'm a writer, it's a big deal to me ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, sorcerers_cat. I'm also looking forward to four years (or more) of not hearing "'nu-cu-lar" emanating from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Heartily concur!

I'll be in Paris for a few days in December. A friend just got back from Turkey, Malta, Italy and France and said it was amazing how excited everyone was about our election and how downright friendly it got all of the sudden. It'll be interesting if that carries over with the Parisians. I hope so, I'm hoping for a pleasant trip!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

You betcha, sorcerer's cat. I too would prefer someone who can think and speak well on their feet. (Although I credit myself several IQ points above W, I am painfully sympathetic to his problem of finding the right words when the situation calls for them--I frequently suffer that myself.)

Posted by: hodie | November 20, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, my friends in the UK and western Europe are also quite enthused about the US's next President, and from what I've read in the news this is not unusual (even for the moderately conservative among them). Bon voyage!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, I think you'll be ok as long as you don't call them cheese-eating surrender monkeys.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 20, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorcerers Cat, Parisians and others will be perfectly friendly if you speak French first. Even if you are struggling or mispronounce ... they appreciate the effort. 3 weeks in France and I only encountered one impatient person, and since I was holding up the line in a patisserie and mistakenly called a "macaroon" a "cookie" ... I can't blame her. :)

Off the celeb subject I know, but I couldn't help chiming in.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 20, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Ooh la la. Sorcerer's cat, can I go too!? I agree with your friend. I went to Italy last May. We had a great conversation with a man at our hotel about the presidential elections, about which they were very interested. He said, when Europeans protest and say they are anti-American, they don't mean they dislike the American people (or most of them) but they are really saying they are against the President (W). I found that to be mostly true. Everywhere we went, people were so lncredibly nice to us even though it was very obvious we were American.

Posted by: hodie | November 20, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Mais non, Dorkus! I intend to be a gracious representative of our country! My French is a bit rusty, but even when it was good, I don't think I could have managed "cheese-eating surrender monkeys."

Hodie, there's a difference between struggling for the right words at the right occasions and totally mangling what you do come out with! But I sympathize with you--my biggest regret is the gene that makes me suddenly come up with the absolutely perfect response for any occasion...two days later.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat: Just don't go around France saying "Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir, Voulez-vous coucher avec moi" (unless you really mean it, of course!). A celeb daily double, referring to both LaBelle ("Lady Marmalade") and Monica on "Friends"!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Ooh la la, hodie, I'm very excited. Came about in strange way--best friend booked herself flight and fantastic hotel on a whim, to reward herself for several milestones this year. I've always wanted to see Paris lit up for the holidays, she said I could come share her hotel room if I could get a flight. So I cashed in some miles and am going for the staggering price of $73.50! It's only a few days, but I'll make the most of them!

Sorry I've diverted everyone away from celebs!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

hodie, this prompts the question of how Italians could bring back media baron Berlusconi (the Rupert Murdoch of Italy, only much worse).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I think my husband would probably frown on that particular turn of phrase. ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, Congrats to your amie on her milestones! Maybe, in the spirit of Celebritology, you'll spot France's First Lady while you're there, or other célébrités.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Nosy! She's really had a good year (after the previous one being pretty horrible with the exception of helping me plan my wedding as maid of honor). Now if my current situation could improve likewise we'd be on the same page....

Will definitely report any celebrity sightings. Have been advised by a frequent visitor to "have tea and a macaroon at L'Avenue and gape at the supermodels." Perhaps there?

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 4:41 PM

you do need a big salt shaker sometimes...

Posted by: hodie | November 20, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorcerers Cat, I hope you're not booked on a non-stop all the way to Paris from LA. That is a long way to go sealed up in a tube.

Have coffee & croissant, and say Bonjour to the Montmartre steps for me.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

No squatch, it's not non-stop (none available on reward flights), but I'd prefer if it was--with the stops and changes it's a LOT of flight time. But you're right--a few years ago I went to Denmark via London and the initial over-the-pole flight (747) was nine hours and fifteen minutes. The last time I did it it took nearly 13, as they have downsized the aircraft they use on international flights. It is NOT fun.

I don't go till the 12th, so if anyone has any "must see/do/eat at" suggestions, let me know!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Right now, 1 euro = US$1.2453

(online currency conversions)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Have you been to Paris before?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, If you have time on Mondays, post your inquiry to the Post's "Flight Crew" online travel chat, 2-3 PM ET (11 AM - noon, PT). Not only the travel writers but also chatters will likely come through with suggestions for you.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, One might want to be cautious about any tourist recommendations from Sas, because for all we know he hangs visits the resident cryptids in the Parisian sewers.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's try this again.

sorcerers_cat, One might want to be cautious about any tourist recommendations from Sas, because for all we know he hangs out with the resident cryptids in the Parisian sewer when he visits.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 20, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Nosy, I've been checking the conversion rates--it's part of the reason my friend decided to go--not long ago the conversion was around 1.80! Thanks for the Monday Flight Crew recommendation, I'll give it a shot.

Sas, I've been to Paris once, when I was studying in England many years ago. It was a miserable experience on many levels, so I'm looking to erase it! This doesn't resemble that student-days trip in any way (check out the hotel: http://www.hotelbalzac.com/uk/navigation.htm -- location wise couldn't be better and pretty luxurious) so I'm off to a good start!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 20, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I am not recommending that sorcerers cat visit any Parisian sewers.

And sorcerer's cat needs to consider what things her traveling companion wishes to do and see.

Within those constraints, here are a few recommendations:

The Musee D'Orsay beats the Louvre as an art gallery in my less than objective perspective.

Eiffel Tower is okay.

Invalides (Tomb of Napoleon) is recommended.

If the weather is warm, a barge ride on the Seine is good.

And obviously, sorcer's cat should visit Notre Dame and say hello to my friend Quasimodo.

If they have a full day to burn, a trip to Versailles is a must.

Other than the above recommendations, they could hang out in cafes and brasseries and absorb the milieu. One could do worse.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Hotel Balzac Paris = WOW!!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 20, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that was my EXACT response when she told me the hotel! Remodeled a couple of years ago. I'm stoked. Location is unbelievable, isn't it?

Thanks for the recs Sas. I'll put them in my notes. My friend has been to Paris a few times, so we will not be doing things together the whole time. Her purpose is mostly to hang out in cafes and absorb the milieu, walk along the left bank with a cup of hot chocolate, that kind of thing. I'll be doing some of that as well. We do both want to go up the Eiffel tower to get the full view of Paris. We're both pretty easy-going travelers, so doing our own thing is natural. Versailles is out--trip too short to go out of town. Another time!

;-)