Posted at 8:04 AM ET, 11/14/2008

Morning Mix: Michael Jackson Says Goodbye to Neverland (Kind of)

By Liz Kelly

Winona Ryder arrives at the Los Angeles premiere of the new movie 'Milk.' (Reuters)

Friday

Headlines: Michael Jackson cedes control of Neverland Ranch (to himself, sort of)... Amy Winehouse stumbles through London neighborhood clutching bottle of vodka... Beyonce says she didn't want to marry too young... Miley Cyrus is a "family friend," says 20-year-old model Justin Gaston... Thank God! Whoopi Goldberg producing London stage version of "Sister Act"... Hilary Duff to star in new NBC show... Naomi Campbell records Hindi duet with Bollywood star... Britney Spears posts online album preview... Nicole Richie and Rachel Zoe make up... Sarah Silverman lands $2.5 million for book of comedic essays... "Full House" alumna Jodi Sweetin penning addiction memoir... HBO developing series based on Red Hot Chili Pepper Anthony Kiedis's childhood.

Pix: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen -- leather mini or open-toed boots?... Jon Hamm Gap ad.

Crime Watch: Jury finds fashion designer Anand Jon guilty of rape, sexual assault... Sandra Bullock stalker gets three years probation... Ryan O'Neal and son get drug case postponed to 2009.

Rumor Mill: Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson set to announce engagement?... John Mayer to host weely variety show for CBS... Jamie-Lynn Sigler dating "Entourage" co-star Jerry Ferrara... Katie Holmes hanging out with exiled British party girl Peaches Geldof?... Ben Stiller, Robert DeNiro teaming up for third "Meet the Parents" movie?

Say What?
"I realize that my place and position in history is that I will go down as the voice of this generation, of this decade, I will be the loudest voice." -- the ever humble Kanye West.

"Lost" Book Club: Join Jen Chaney and me today at 2 p.m. ET for a discussion of our latest read, Joseph Heller's "Catch 22."

Insta-Poll: Did you catch Jennifer Aniston's "30 Rock" debut last night? If so, proceed to poll below. If not, watch all 21 minutes here, then proceed to poll below...

By Liz Kelly  | November 14, 2008; 8:04 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Madge-o-Lator: Making Snappy Sausage from the Scraps of Madonna's Relationships
Next: Friday List: Who Fascinates You the Most?

Comments

Augh. That Don Draper Gap add is dreamy. I just drooled a little bit...

Posted by: aesully | November 14, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

And by "add" I mean "ad."

Happy Friday everyone!

Posted by: aesully | November 14, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Do you ever get the feeling the authorities have filled out everything except for the date and time on Amy Winehouse's death certificate?

Miley Cyrus is a "family friend." With benefits?

It could have been worse for Sandra Bullock's stalker: he could have got all of her movies on DVD.

Tentative title (and concept) for John Mayer's variety show: "A Parade of The Groupies I've Shtupped Today."

Tentative title (and concept) for Ben Stiller, Robert DeNiro flick: "Kill The Fokkers Who Greenlighted This."

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 14, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Riveting stuff.

Posted by: jezebel3 | November 14, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

"Kanye West's pronouncement is one of those things that makes you disappointed to learn that Suge Knight is only suing him."

byoo, you make the sun shine. And the snark flow.

Posted by: Bawlmer | November 14, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

In Jen's appearance on "30 Rock" last night, I thought her CHARACTER was "like listening to dirty fingernails scraped across a chalkboard while having a root canal," which means Jen did a good enough acting job in the role. That said, at most I wouldn't want to see that annoying character more than once a season (and maybe not even that often), since it's not all that funny to me, and pretty much a one-note gag. On the other hand, I'd enjoy seeing the teenager mistaken for Oprah on last week's episode back on the series again, because the humor potential for her character seems much more varied.

Speaking of "30 Rock," was anyone else as surprised as I was at how much Harry Anderson and Markie Post have aged since "Night Court"? Of course, yours truly looks not a day older, except for that pesky portrait hidden in the attic...

Ben Stiller, Robert DeNiro teaming up for third "Meet the Parents" movie?

Heaven forfend moviemakers with NEW ideas should be encouraged.

To Kanye West: The loudest voice isn't always the bes one. Just think of Roseanne singing the national anthem.

Sas, could you please link to directions for making one's own wobble board?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

best, not bes

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Nosy, Rolf Harris' own recipe for wobble board is available Where The Internet Knows Everything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wobble_board

BTW, I highly recommend "Stairways To Heaven," if only for the Rolf Harris version of the Led Zep classic:

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 14, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"Nicole Richie and Rachel Zoe make up..."
-Next up, that pesky Middle East peace issue.

I think that all pictures of Katie Holmes should be cropped at the shoulders from now on.

Kanye, just put out albums, don't talk, please!!!

And yet another Robert DeNiro "comedy" that won't make me laugh.

Any 20 year old who dates a 16 year old should probably just end every sentence with 'Alright, alright, alright...'

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | November 14, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow. With Hilary Duff, Anthony Kiedis's childhood, and John Mayer all coming soon to a TV near you, there's all kinds of reasons to not watch!

Posted by: jaybbub | November 14, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

And also, let's discuss Robert De Niro vis a vis shark jumping....

Posted by: jaybbub | November 14, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Yeah. And another thing. Let's send out all that Friday love to The Swayze. Keep kicking cancer's ass, Patrick! We heart you.

Posted by: jaybbub | November 14, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Jaybbub, you have an excellent point! I've still got the ol' rabbit ears, and suddenly the "DTV Switch" isn't looking so much like the apocalypse that network TV would lead us to believe it will be.

Posted by: northgs | November 14, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and what is a "Peaches Geldof"? Cocktail? Dessert? Or is this what we got in return for the Insouciant One?

Posted by: northgs | November 14, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Wonder if Kiedis' HBO project is part of a settlement over the use of the term 'Californiacation'.

Posted by: bontster1 | November 14, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Shout-out to the Swayze! Keep it going, buddy.

Taking bets on Robert De Niro's next project! Twenty to one it's a buddy comedy with a talking dog voiced by Eddie Murphy.

Posted by: Bawlmer | November 14, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I would also like to direct everyone's attention to the Eye on Entertainment gallery. Is that Danny DeVito up there attempting to unhinge his jaw like a snake? It looks like he's about to swallow the poor kid in front of him whole. (I'm pretty sure Joan Rivers is next to him, but she's too boney to make a good meal.)

Posted by: Bawlmer | November 14, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Liz, I do believe, despite all she is going through now, that somewhere, Amy Winehouse is reading your blog. She has taken one of your steps to recovery... she got rid of the beehive hairdo! Now if we can only tear her away from that pesky vodka bottle...

Posted by: Osteph | November 14, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, Naomi Campbell better be careful. Didn't Richard Gere get prosecuted in India for kissing a Bollywood starlet? How would assault by cell phone go over?

Posted by: 44west | November 14, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Nosy. JA did a good job, but her character wasn't someone I want to see back. The young Faux-prah, though, would be great in occasional reappearances. I loved that girl.

Posted by: mat00 | November 14, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Kanye, whining loudly does not count as being a voice. It's a tone, not an actual voice.

That class action suit is looking smarter and smarter.

Is the Bollywood star who sang with Naomi Campbell unnamed because they still haven't found the body?

Posted by: epjd | November 14, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

mat00
Faux-prah

Brilliant!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer | November 14, 2008 10:13 AM

I thought the same thing, too, but upon closer inspection...
The "poor kid" is Prince Harry.
"Danny DeVito" is actually Robin Williams.
And yes, that's Joan Rivers.

Thank God..Whoopi Goldberg will be out of the country for a while, unless by producing, they mean throwing money at it from afar. One can hope, I guess.

TGIF, y'all!

Posted by: eet7e | November 14, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Once again, the morning mix leaves me with more questions than answers.

How does one become an "exiled party girl"?

Is the "exiled party girl" status something we should impose on Paris Hilton?

Does Kanye West's quote mean that he believes a generation lasts only a decade? If so, I'm postulating that the loudest voice of my "g-generation" was Sam Kinnison.

We bailed out Wall Street. We're debating about bailing out the auto industry. But poor Michael Jackson...there will be no money left to bail out Neverland Ranch.

Posted by: mdreader01 | November 14, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

"With Amy Poehler gone to motherhood, and Tina Fey having retired her Sarah Palin wig, 'Saturday Night Live' is in the market for a few good women. And two new female cast members, Michaela Watkins and Abby Elliott, will join the show on Saturday as featured players..."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Kanye West evidently thinks "loudest" and "most significant" mean the same thing.

Posted by: lolyla | November 14, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Katie Holmes' half-smile is increasingly driving me to distraction. Bell's palsy? Mini-stroke? Laziness? Bad plastic surgery? Scientology policy? Secret message to Catholic church to get her out of there? Radio beacon for aliens?

Posted by: lolyla | November 14, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a link to a full-length view of that picture of Winona, so we could see the rest of her dress? Must say that, unlike a lot of stars who seem to strive to appear ugly, she looks genuinely pretty in that photo, no longer an ingenue but arguably even lovelier.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh no! You left off my answer to the Jenn Aniston poll:

Jenn's guest spot on 30 rock was:

lacking, because it did NOT include enough information about her former marriage, and failed to mention Angelina even once!

Posted by: Amelia5 | November 14, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"Amy Winehouse stumbles through London neighborhood clutching bottle of vodka" -- or as they call it across the pond, your average day in the U.K.

"Ben Stiller, Robert DeNiro teaming up for third 'Meet the Parents' movie?" -- love the first, absoutely despised the second. The world does not need a third.

"John Mayer to host weekly variety show for CBS" -- will he perform, too? Then I suggest they call it, "John Mayer's Original Amateur Hour."

"Sarah Silverman lands $2.5 million for book of comedic essays" -- oh, is she doing comedy now? Good for her.

"Whoopi Goldberg producing London stage version of 'Sister Act' " -- OK, that third Fockers movie isn't looking so bad now. Heaven help us.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 14, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"oh, is she doing comedy now? Good for her."

As Don Cherry would say, "you kids watching out there, now, *that's* how it's done."

First-rate snark, td.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 14, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Crime watch, "Rapper West arrested after 'row'"
BBC News, Nov. 14, 2008:

"Rapper Kanye West has been arrested and released without charge after an 'incident' at a Newcastle nightclub.

"A Northumbria Police spokeswoman said a 31-year-old man was 'arrested on suspicion of assault following an incident at a city centre club.'

"She added: 'He was released without charge and no further police action is being taken.'

"The star is currently travelling round the UK with his Glow In The Dark Tour, which continues in Sheffield later..."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

ep, remind me never to get on your S--- List. Fewer than 24 hours after you write that you're going after Kayne West, he gets arrested. GOOD JOB!!!

Too bad the sumb|tch was released.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 14, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, here is the best information I have been able to find on a wobble board. Seems to be utter simplicity:

A wobble board is a thin sheet of masonite [a sort of
> plywood] about 90cm x 60cm [ approx. 30" x 20"] which is bent back and
> forth to produce a low pitched, gentle, whoomping sound.

From: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-TRIVIA-SCOTLAND/2001-05/0990439368

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 14, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

"a low pitched, gentle, whoomping sound"? Sounds like something a cryptid produce even without a wobble board.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

ack! "could produce"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Back in the good old days around Vancouver, WA, when D.B. was funding the Weekly Quatchi Happy Hour (didn't ask where he got the money), we used to catch unwary hikers and swing them around by the ankles to get the whomping sound. However, the gentle whomping sound was usually drowned out by the hiker's screams.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 14, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

D.B. Cooper?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

"Is the "exiled party girl" status something we should impose on Paris Hilton?" Oh, if wishing made it so ...

PEACHES? Someone named their kid Peaches? After going through life with that handle, she's gonna need more than Katie's spiel to join Scientolocult.

Rachel Zoe and Nicole Richie: Bony and Bonier. Maybe they should do a reality show called "Who's more anorexic?" But that would assume we care.

I heart Beyonce. Good for her.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 14, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Californian, there was long ago a pro tennis player named Peaches (real name Jane) Bartkowicz.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Yep. D.B. Cooper. Some of the female quatchi found him to be fascinating.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 14, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

You sure they weren't just trying to figure out where he dropped the money when he bailed?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Interesting how some females find rich makes to be "fascinating,' isn't it?

Yes, I was jealous. I couldn't get to first base with those hotties. Those quatchi bimbos told me that they wouldn't date a quatch who's ride was a mid 60s Chevy with three on the tree.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 14, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I think I qualify as an exhiled party girl because I refused to go to the Marine Ball this year.
And I'm just off to London to party with Amy Winehouse. This time we're going to stumble around drinking bourbon, knock on doors and try to find Jamie Oliver so we can make him some nice balsamic mice on toast.

Posted by: possum_pouch | November 14, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"PEACHES? Someone named their kid Peaches?"

Yeah, not "someone," her father is Bob Geldof...yes, it all begins to make sense, no?

Posted by: VaLGaL | November 14, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Ok, even better, Peaches has an older sister named
Fifi Trixibelle
And Peaches whole name is
Peaches Honeyblossom Michelle Charlotte Angel Vanessa Geldof

Right.
And then there's the youngest named
Little Pixie

I guess Bob was disappointed that his name was so common and boring and he didn't want his girls to suffer through that.

Posted by: VaLGaL | November 14, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"And there was a whole succession of female R&B singers labeled "Peaches" who dueted with Herb." --Nosy_Parker

Nosy, are you still thinking about Meshach Taylor and Delta Burke dancing to "Shake Your Groove Thing"?! I know I am. Now. Has happy hour begun?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 14, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

td, did I misremember? I thought they did "Love is strange."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I defer to your memory, Nosy. Mine was just a guess.

"'Full House' alumna Jodi Sweetin penning addiction memoir" -- well that explains why she took that hosting gig for "Pants Off Dance Off." (I saw it once on cable at the beach and I kept thinking, they're not going to, no, wait, surely they, OMG NOOOOO! [click])

Trust me, if I had to be on set with Dave Coulier, Bob Saget, and the Olsen twins every day for several years like she was, I'd be penning volumes I-IV of my addiction memoirs too. Poor thing.

Though a six-figure deal (really?) with the people who gave us published works by Tori Spelling (what?) and Chelsea Handler (I read that vodka book; HORRIBLE, she can barely put two sentences together without repeating some tired it-wasn't-funny-the-first-time cliché) doesn't bode well for sales.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 14, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

td, Googling just now I learned that "Love is strange" was originally recorded by Mickey and Sylvia (1957), then covered a decade later by Peaches and Herb. I also found my previous post on the topic on this blog, which discovery rattled me slightly. Does this mean ALL our posts are online? For all eternity? Owe, the SMAME!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 14, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Is Jon Hamm's girlfriend the woman who was in Kissing Jessica Stein? The name sounds familiar...

Posted by: msame | November 14, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Geldofs should have been charged with child abuse. Those poor kids. I'm surprised "Peaches" doesn't go by one of her gazillion other normal names, like, oh, Michelle, Charlotte or Vanessa!

Fifi Trixibelle sounds like a teacup poodle. Maybe the Geldofs really wanted dogs instead of kids.

Posted by: Californian11 | November 14, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse