Posted at 1:42 PM ET, 12/ 5/2008

About Face: Is Brad Bringing Back the 'Stache?

By Liz Kelly

Mr. Moustache, Brad Pitt. (AP)

Talk of Brad Pitt's new moustache is growing faster than a pre-teen boy's first lip tickler. Even serious morning journalist Ann Curry took time out from considering Pitt's paparazzi aversion and Angelina Jolie baby-making to offer her own saccharin-yet-scary family anecdote about male facial hair. A few days earlier, Pitt told a gullible gaggle of entertainment scribes that he intended to single-handedly bring the moustache back into style.

But is this really a look that bears a redux or will it be less welcome than that unfortunate leg warmer resurgence of a couple years back? Can any of us under the age of 30-something even point to one sexy 'stache sporting celeb? Or, are we all -- like me -- put more in the mind of Tom Selleck's bristly "Magnum P.I." or Motorhead's Lemmy (who, it bears noting, is about as un-sexy as one can get and still rock. The moles don't help.).

These questions were swirling around my obviously unoccupied mind last night when I met Rich Poplawski (think "Freaks and Geeks'" geek guru Harris), Kevin Halligan (Killers singer Brandon Flowers) and Colin Cushing who had stopped in at a meet-and-greet for readers of this blog and the delightful Mighty Appetite last night at D.C.'s M Bar. The trio was conspicuous because, between the three of them, they were possessed of the only two moustaches in the room -- and probably the entire block. In the interest of full disclosure, it should be noted that the three are washingtonpost.com employees, though to me employees of a bizarro world post.com -- they work for marketing and sales, respectively.

Not recognizing the three, I wondered if they were perhaps budding celebs who had unknowingly wandered into the midst of a group of self-admitted tabloid junkies. As I approached -- drawn, it must be said, by their sassy, unapologetic moustaches -- I had the eerie impression that I was entering the frame of a Judd Apatow ("Super Bad") movie or a taping of the next "Jackass" movie.

Without wasting words on a build up and eventually unsatisfying let down, I'll share at this point that the men with the 'staches were not in fact celebrities and, no, Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen sporting a moustache that would make Lenin apoplectic with comradely rage) was not waiting somewhere in the wings ready to assault me with a maddening "What's up, Vanilla Face." Worse luck. I did quickly find out, though, that Poplawski and Halligan were growing their 'staches not out of some lemming-like emulation of Brad Pitt or pal George Clooney (who has also recently been spotted toning down his considerable good looks with a succinct 'stache), but to raise money for the Children's National Medical Center.

"We raise money and continue to grow awesome mustaches until the year end Stache Bash on Dec. 11, 2008," wrote Halligan in a post-event e-mail.

If only Selleck's intentions had been as noble.

(It should be noted before I am forever branded as anti-moustache that one celebrity is able to use the moustache to attractive effect: Sam Elliott.)

By Liz Kelly  | December 5, 2008; 1:42 PM ET
Categories:  Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Madonna Just a Friend, Says A-Rod
Next: Morning Mix: Angelina Jolie Is Highest Paid Actress in 2008

Comments

Mr. MDReader sports a lovely 'stash/goatee combination, akin to NBC's very own political director, Chuck Todd...only greyer.

Rock stars tend to do the slimy 'stashes. Dave Grohl springs to mind, as he was just on Top Chef this week. Someone really should wring him out.

The best celebrity 'stashes in the whole wide world are on Mythbusters. What would Adam and Jaime be without 'em?

Ok, they'd still be nerdos, but the danger factor when they set something on fire would be so much less interesting.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Sam Elliot can rock a mustache (and sideburns and beard, too) like nobody's business.

The current crop of mustaches are rather weak in comparison to say...Robert Redford & Paul Newman in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. Sigh.
When I married Mr. Methinks, he had a mustache and though he shaved it almost 25 years ago, I still miss it.

Posted by: pras40 | December 5, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

My brother-in-law decided to grow a mustache during his time in Afghanistan last year, which still provides no end of hilarity for our family. Let's just say after 20-odd years of shaving it off, it came in a little..um..patchy..and red. :) Not the best look for him.

I'm not big on facial hair and the mustaches that stick out in my mind are Ned Flanders and Turk from Scrubs. Ned because of the Simpsons episode where the Flanders moved to a town where "nose neighbors" were taboo. Turk because of the mole that appeared - and talked - after he shaved his 'stache off.

Posted by: eet7e | December 5, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I am typically opposed to the stache, but seeing as it is the only type of facial hair I can have, I am starting to give it some consideration.

Also, Super Troopers has some awesome staches in it.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Brad's stache reminds me of Cary Ewes from Princess Bride.

AS YOU WISH!

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

As an eminent Celebritologist and chronic nitpicker, I feel I must point out the glaring error in the poll. Ron Jeremy is meh and Dr. Phil is creepy.
Thank you very much.

Posted by: otherliz | December 5, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The solo 'stache seems to be a very hard look to pull off. I feel like if you're going to go the moustache route, you should just go all in and try for the most bushy, magnificent look your workplace and significant other will possibly permit. Go, walruses and handlebars!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 5, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 5, 2008 2:39 PM

=======
Wow. Your comment got me to thinking...Hitler kind of killed that "tiny, square moustache" look, didn't he? No one, to my knowledge, has sported it since. He may have single-handedly murdered an entire moustache style.

Has any other notorious figure killed a style of hair or facial hair?

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Mustache/goatee combos are different than mustaches alone (and should be snarked upon, or not, as such). Brad's stache looks kinda doofy.

When Captain Crunch and Ron Jeremy are two of the poll choices, Liz has overplayed her dislike. I believe John Oates no longer has his, and he looks completely diferrent without it. Disconcerting, really.

In addition to Redford/Newman (thanks Methinks) and Sam Elliott, I'd have included for the poll Mike Farrell / CHEESY and John Waters / CREEPY.

But then I could never grow a decent one myself. I applaud those who can.

Besides, if Mike Rowe and/or Daniel Craig suddenly appeared in public with a mustache, I bet half of you would abruptly change course. Am I right?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 5, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone taken into account the fact that Brad Pitt grew the moustache for his role in "Inglourious Basterds"? I predict it will disapear about 45 minutes after the filming wraps up and his services are no longer needed.

Posted by: ldf1 | December 5, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

td, If John Oates is "disconcerting," does that mean he no longer performs in public? (sorry, couldn't resist)

Like Obama, I miss Bill Richardson's 'stache and beard, as it not only slimmed his face but covered up some of his chins.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 5, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, I have a story...In my late teens, I had my hair cut, turning it from a long style into a shorter layered look. I was admiring my new do in the mirror that evening when a terrible thought occurred to me...
"Mom?"
"Yes, dear?"
"Did I just get the same haircut as Monica Lewinsky?"

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 5, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not so opposed to mustaches or Brad Pitt's in particular, but that photo is a little disturbing. With that haircut and expression, it could be just me, but he seems to be morphing into William Macy.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 5, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Has any other notorious figure killed a style of hair or facial hair?" --mdreader01

Well, per Cecil Adams, I'd say Rock'n Rollen Stewart (a.k.a. the "John 3:16" guy) has probably killed any hope of a rainbow afro comeback.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 5, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"With that haircut and expression, it could be just me, but he seems to be morphing into William Macy." -- CentrevilleMom

I was thinking he looked like French Stewart.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 5, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Or td, maybe if French Stewart and William H. Macy had a love child...

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

No More Bush

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 5, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

It has been along while since I have seen a thin waxed curled at the ends stache. I think the silent film villains or the Pringles guy killed that one.

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, since I am thinking about snack foods, put a monacle and top had on Brad and he looks like Mr. Peanut.

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

No More Bush

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 5, 2008 3:14 PM

Is this a political statement or are you a fan of waxing?

Posted by: jes11 | December 5, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer51, love the newish handle and its built-in hollaback to Area 51.

TD, love the mention of Uncle Cecil.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 5, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I just wish that Angelina and Jenn would weigh in here - Jenn could tell us how totally "uncool" it was of Brad to grow this mustache since he claimed he never would when they were married, and Angelina can tell us how Brad this so they could better hide from the paparazzi they are always avoiding when they frantically move to higher and higher profile locations.

Actually, Brad's talking about his mustache is a refreshing change from the Classic, endless love triangle he exists within.

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 5, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 3:25 PM

Glad there is no longer a Spelling Police. You know I meant Hat.

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

If you want to see some real mustaches on real men who care about charity, come to RFD in Chinatown at 8pm on Thursday Dec 11 to see the guys from Mustaches for Kids strut their stuff and raise money for DC Children's Hospital.

Posted by: bigbadbri | December 5, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about 'staches in general, but I can say that Mr. Pitt looks kinda Clark Gable-y in that picture there...

Posted by: undercover_hon | December 5, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Hubby has one that started as goatee/'stache combo.

This man, Roger Clyne, looks good with or without facial & I bet with or without clothes...**homersimpsondroolynoise**

Posted by: wadejg | December 5, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt looks as if he thinks the glue is coming off one side of the wardrobe mustache and is trying to verify without raising hand to lip.

Posted by: justsaying3 | December 5, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I realize we are talking about mustaches (moustaches?) and thanks for the pic of Sam Elliott (hmmm, yummy noise), but can we talk about the soul patch? How stupid is that?

At least mustaches look good on some men...soul patches just make you look like you missed a bit while shaving.

They should go away forever.

Posted by: BMore_Cat_Lover1 | December 5, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree BMore, I always want to grab them and pull them off of guys when I see one.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

RE: Soul patch...I hate, hate, hate them. On anyone. Especially Kevin Costner. A friend of mine had his picture taken w/Costner at the CMAs and Costner has a soul patch. Dude...shave.

Posted by: pras40 | December 5, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Those "soul patches" just make me want to suggest water snd soap. But a good mustache - VERY sexy!

Posted by: babsy1 | December 8, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse