Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 12/ 3/2008

And Now a Few Words from K-Fed

By Liz Kelly

Kevin Federline. (AP)

Yesterday, a resurgent Britney Spears celebrated her birthday on "Good Morning America," announced plans for a North American tour, showed off some seriously re-toned abs, lip-synched her way through a passable performance and topped off the evening with a little spillage and a general basking in the glow of her rekindled career.

And let us not leave out Sunday's overhyped MTV special "Britney: For the Record," in which the embattled popstress gave us a peek into her as-yet unsettled psyche: She feels controlled, she's not always happy, she shouldn't have gotten married so young, etc. The overwhelming takeaway was that Brit has a lot of regrets, among them a six-foot-and-change former back-up dancer turned failed rapper with whom she procreated. Twice.

All that is well and good. Catharsis makes for healing and so forth. However, that six-foot mistake -- Kevin Federline, aka K-Fed -- has a few points he'd like to share with us, the interested public, too. Which accounts for his perfectly-timed People mag cover -- scheduled to hit newsstands with a resounding thud tomorrow. In a selfless act of kindness, though, People.com jumped their own print publication sked and posted some of the choicest bits online this morning.

And when I say "choicest bits," I mean to say, of course, that there are really no revelations here. K-Fed has not taken this opportunity to vilify his ex, to reveal sordid details about their chaotic relationship or taken her to task for practically kidnapping son Jayden James in the midst of some kind of paranoid break with reality.

No, yet again, our man Kevin comes off as the mature one. He's consumed with concern for the kids:

"I told him [Federline's divorce lawyer] that I would spend every last dime that I had to make sure that my children are okay. That's all that mattered."

Concern for Spears:

"I was very, very worried for her 'cause I care about her. That's the mother of my children. Just because I'm not in love with her doesn't mean that I don't love her. I'm definitely rooting for her. There's nothing more that I want than for her to be in the best health and doing what she loves to do."

And even admits to a smidgen of blame for the bust up of the Spears/Federline union:

"For me, I'd become more concerned with my children. Not that I ignored Britney, but my kids are always most important."

The closest K-Fed comes to a direct attack on Spears is when he says he was utterly surprised by Spears's decision to walk away from their marriage:

"I didn't give her an ultimatum, but I was trying to work stuff out with her, and she didn't even talk to me or anything and went behind my back and filed [for divorce]. [I was] completely blindsided."

So were we, Kevin. So were we.

By Liz Kelly  | December 3, 2008; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Britney Spears, Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Patrick Swayze Says He's Still Winning Cancer Battle
Next: Morning Mix: Lawyer -- Boy George 'Too Fat' to Attack Male Escort

Comments

Does he have Brad Pitt's publicist? Kevin actually sounds pretty grounded (well, that is, for a guy who got involved with someone else while his girlfriend was pregnant with their second child and all).

I hope the print edition explains Papazao because I've been WONDERING!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 3, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Her aureoles are huge. So I've heard. I didn't really look at this border line nip-slip photos. I'm at work and that would be wrong.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 3, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I shamefully admit that I willingly watched some of the Britney Spears: For the Record show on MTV. That coupled with reading these blurbs from K-Fed makes me believe that he is indeed the right person to take care of their kids. Britney seems to have stopped developing emotionally and psycologically at age 16 or 17. She's a child and has never been made to grow up. I would think the birth of the boys would've caused her to mature, but that's apparently not the case.
I can't believe I'm about to say it, but my respect for K-Fed is actually growing day by day.

Posted by: eet7e | December 3, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

ok, time's up. 15 minutes over.

Posted by: hodie | December 3, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I am sooooooo over Britney and K-Fed.

Please, "LIZ KELLY", no more.

Thank you, "Liz Kelly".

VTY,

Curmudgeon, "Liz Kelly" Fan

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 3, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, he wants her happy and doing what she loves 'cause it means he keeps getting alimony. He never has to work again as long as he has custody of those boys.

Posted by: Ariabob | December 3, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

He never has to work again as long as he has custody of those boys.

Posted by: Ariabob | December 3, 2008 11:56 AM

*******************************************

But after hearing his album, don't we want K-Fed to never work again?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

So, I've been catching up on the stuff I missed yesterday, so:

Liz Kelly.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I find the first quote funny. Doesn't he mean "I'll spend as much of Britney's money, to the last dime...." Unless he had stacks like that, which I doubt because she was paying for the lawyer.

Also, not to harp but K-Fed dear, you have two sets of baby mamas. So Brit is the mother to your other kids, the wealthy ones.

Apart from that kudos to Brit for making K-Fed seem like the lesser of two evils and for making me feel good about my dating decisions.

Posted by: petalceleb | December 3, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

More evidence that the High Road is usually the best road....

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 3, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly. I haven't caught Morning Mix yet, and usually read it first, regardless of the time of day, but how can you not go for a few words from K-Fed. Thanks Liz Kelly.

Posted by: rashibama | December 3, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Does K-Fed even get alimony? I thought it was a lump-sum settlement and then child support. I'm don't think I'll begrudge a custodial parent child support.

I wonder whether the People interview was done before K-Fed heard Britney say in her documentary that she's looking for a father figure for her kids? Maybe he wouldn't have felt so kindly towards her.

Posted by: jes11 | December 3, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh Liz Kelly, Liz Kelly! Over here, Liz Kelly! In the pumpkin patch. Liz Kelly, have you decided who won the Creative Captioning? Thanks, Liz Kelly.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 3, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, Liz Kelly!

Posted by: jes11 | December 3, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

**SLAPPING HEAD****

What is wrong with people? What is wrong with this so-called journalist who is repeating these lies? This man is a liar. It really doesn't take much digging to figure it out.

He was out partying while Britney was pregnant and after she had Jayden. He never saw Britney or the kids when he filed for divorce because he was promoting his failed rap career. His own ex-girlfriend Shar has said repeatedly that he SOLD and SMOKED pot.

Britney trips while walking with her baby and people want to crucify her, but Kevin lights up a joint with his kids in the room and we all croon over what a great dad he is. This is disgusting.

Posted by: 98ghr | December 3, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 98ghr | December 3, 2008 3:31 PM

It's the double standard. St. Paul Newman cheated on both of his wives. The expectations for wives/mothers are different than for husbands/fathers.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 3, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It's a little late in the day to start a BKD.

Just sayin'

Posted by: dablues1 | December 3, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Even if he is thinking "this chick is batsh*t crazy" he is saying for the record that he loves his kids and respects their mother. The kids are going to grow up someday. It is better than the kids see at least one parent tried to be a grownup in public.

Although, really, how low is the bar to be the mature one in that relationship? I think Jaden may pass them both in a couple years.

Posted by: epjd | December 3, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I did see Britney on GMA yesterday and she wasn't great. Not horrible, but I would say lackluster.

Posted by: JLRGG | December 3, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

K-Fed is still wanting his 15 minutes of fame and is totally jealous of BritBrit's comeback.

I really hope she sold the engagement ring he gave her to www.idonowidont.com which is what I did when I divorced my husband.

I think she's been doing pretty well lately and hope she can find a new man that doesn't need the spotlight 24/7!

Posted by: LizzyBeatlesLover | December 3, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse