Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 12/10/2008

Celeb Politik: Senator Drescher?

By Liz Kelly

Fran Drescher, political wannabe. (AP)

The latest celeb with pretensions to serve the public? Fran Drescher. Yes, the nasally New Yawker who has been knocking around since the end of her way-too-long-lived sitcom "The Nanny," has let it be known that she'd make a fine replacement for Hillary Clinton's soon-to-be-vacated New York Senate seat.

Celebrity crossovers into public office are not a new phenomenon. Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gopher from "Love Boat," Sonny Bono, Al Franken, Barack Obama (I kid!) -- enough wattage there to outshine that hammy Barney Frank and take the lustre right off Sarah Palin's 15 minutes of fame.

But despite the actress's work to raise awareness about women's cancers and Larry King's pronouncement that the Bronx native is "a great broad," are we really ready for Senator Drescher?

Oh, the filibusters.

Below, I've compiled a list of possible New York-based celebrity candidates -- including Drescher -- to fill Hillary's Senate seat. Vote early and often:

By Liz Kelly  | December 10, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Ruffalo's Brother Victim of Russian Roulette, Says Suspect
Next: Morning Mix: Tom Cruise Making Return Visit to 'Today'

Comments

Of course, Nanny Fein would fit right into the World's Greatest Deliberative Body.

And heaven knows, the Kennedy Center could sure use the star powered productions Mr. Sheffield would bring.

Posted by: 44west | December 10, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I can hear it now...."ok, ok Fran, I'll vote anyway you want, just Pleeaaze stop talking!"

Posted by: hodie | December 10, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I voted for Spike Lee. He'd do the right thing for New York.

Donald Trump would fit right in on the Hill, though: dubious fashion sense, bad hair, fond of own voice, talent for self-promotion, knows how to bring home the flashy, expensive, his-name-worthy projects.

Eliot Spitzer would be a terrible choice! He *doesn't* bring it home.

Posted by: northgs | December 10, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Liz, you omitted (not that I totally blame you) California's late song-and-dance man Senator George Murphy, compared to whom Fran Drescher would be positively solonesque.

I recall a Top Ten list compile about a year ago of celebs who've done a great deal of good in various fields, and Fran's lobbying for greater concern for battling cancer (especially ovarian) rated her along with such heavy hitters as Michael J. Fox (Parkinson's), George Clooney and Don Cheadle (Africa, especially Darfur) and Angelina Jolie (UN awareness). Maybe Liz could find and republish that list, to refresh our fading memories.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 10, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm letting my imagination run wild here,

A glimpse into Senatorial life:

Sen. Tina Fey would keep being included in the Alaskan delegation.

Sen. Howard Stern would be censured after asking Babara Boxer to flash him.

Sen. Jay-Z would file bills with samplings from other senators' bills.

Sen. Regis Philbin would never be allowed to take a roll call vote after he kept asking each senator if that was his final answer.

Sen. Ashley Dupre would show the rest of Congress how money for favors is supposed to work.

Sen. Conan O'Brien would filibuster with endless musing about what life will be like in the year 2000.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 10, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

What about Senator Alec Baldwin?!

Posted by: jp13 | December 10, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

How about a list of Illinois celebs to fill President-Elect Obama's Senate seat? Preferably someone Gov. Blagojevich couldn't stand.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 10, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Why not Fran? She dresses better than Hillary. (Hey, it's a start.) Besides, no one is clamoring for a reunion of "The Nanny" cast so surely she is free, right?

Then again, I harken back to her and Clooney making fools of themselves about the paparazzi when Princess Diana died. So on second thought, no.

BTW, Fran was great in "The Big Picture."

Incidentally, I voted in the poll for Conan. (No reason, really.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 10, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

If only it had happened 8 years ago when the GOP was in charge. She would have driven them all nuts.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 10, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Illinois celebs, Nosy? How about Mike Myers -- yeah I know he's Canadian, but I'm thinking of him in the guise of Wayne Algar from Aurora, Illinois -- I would consider moving there and lobbying just to get him in office.

Consider it my patriotic duty -- anything beats having to make U.S. residents suffer another Austin Powers and/or Love Guru movie!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 10, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Lou Reed would be the most awesomest ever.

If you thought Ted Stevens was cantankerous, you should read the interview with Lou in the October issue of Spin. As I read read it I kept waiting for the part where he punched the interviewer's lights out.

I can't get there from here, but I am pretty sure it's the one at http://www.spin.com/articles/spin-interview-lou-reed .

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 10, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Conan - Change We Can Believe In - Part 2

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 10, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I just read the interview with Lou one time, not "read read" it.

td, why not arrange somehow to deport Mike Myers back to Canada and then ask my fellow hosers to urge him to run for office there? Two birds, one stone: not only would there be no future Love Gurus, he'd easily get elected in Canada, which is roughly equivalent to invisibility - even there.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 10, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Vote for Ashley Dupre for Senate! If you're gonna get screwed, it might as well be by a hooker who's a looker.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 10, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I just googled "celebrities born in Illinois" and there are some really fine, first-rate stars as well as lots of has-beens in need of a second career. But once I noticed Kathy Griffin on the list, I thought, that's it. The Senate can use a D-lister. Who else wants to serve on the subcommittees on fisheries, rural revitalization, aging . . . .

Posted by: 44west | December 10, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

it's so weird when celebrities crossover. I find it hard for people to take them seriously. Some are lucky. i think people base it off of the roles they play in their profession. And w/ Fran's role, I don't think she will be very successful.

Posted by: heavenfh07 | December 10, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

And w/ Fran's role, I don't think she will be very successful.

Posted by: heavenfh07 | December 10, 2008 1:20 PM

*******************************************

But you forget her role in "The Beautician and The Beast". that movie showed she could indeed handle running a country.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 10, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

And w/ Fran's role, I don't think she will be very successful.

Posted by: heavenfh07 | December 10, 2008 1:20 PM

*******************************************

What did she play in "Saturday Night Fever"?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 10, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Kathy Griffin and Fran Drescher both in the Senate! That would be sweeeeet.

Posted by: jaybbub | December 10, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Liz,

you missed the obvious choices of NY based, politically active celebreties; Tim Robbins/Susan Sarandon.

Posted by: nealfohara | December 10, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I have a great idea! Why don't they just sell the Senate seat to the highest bidder? Or give it up in exchange for sexual favors.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 10, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Amy Fisher

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 10, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Sigh....Eliot Spitzer, where are you when we need you?
Seriously folks, Tom Cruise is buying up the East Village...

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 10, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Where's Jon Stewart???

Posted by: Fruitfly1 | December 10, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Well as of 3:40pm the only person on the list who hasn't gotten one vote is Ethan Hawke. Goes to show, watch out if you spurn the celebritology crowd they can hold a grudge!

Posted by: sjcpeach | December 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"But you forget her role in 'The Beautician and The Beast'. That movie showed she could indeed handle running a country." --DorkusMaximus1

OK, you're all going to think even less of me, but I LOVE that movie. Just Fran Drescher saying in that nasal voice, "Svet-laaaa-naaaa" makes me laugh every time I catch it on cable. (Guilty pleasure; sue me.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

td, as someone who loves Bring It On, I won't judge you. I may never see you in the same light, but I won't judge you.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Regis.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | December 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

As soon as I saw Spike Lee's name on the ballot, he had my vote.

Besides, how could I vote for Tina Fey? If she got the Senate seat, I'd have to watch C-span to see her instead of 30 Rock.

Posted by: mat00 | December 11, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse