Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 12/16/2008

Jamie Foxx and Terrence Howard: Sing Off?

By Nancy Kerr

It seems Jamie Foxx and Terrence Howard are having a little tiff about singing talent, according to this video:

Let's examine the situation closely. Jamie Foxx, an actor who began playing piano at age 3, carried a whole movie and won an Oscar for his portrayal of Ray Charles in part because of his vocal and instrumental skills.

Terrence Howard, who isn't primarily known for his musical prowess though he recently released a CD, was nominated for an Academy Award for his role as pimp and aspiring rapper DJay in Hustle and Flow.

And now, Jamie says Terrence dinged his music during a recent interview and Jamie wants some get back on it.

To resolve this I demand a sing off at midnight on Dec. 31, 2008 in Times Square. May the best actor/singer win.

Who's with me?!

Guest Celebritologist Tanya Ballard Brown, an editor at NPR.org, loves sports cars and really just wants to ring in the new year with Terrence Howard and Jamie Foxx.

By Nancy Kerr  | December 16, 2008; 11:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Madonna/Guy Divorce Settlement At Least $76 Million
Next: Morning Mix: Madonna and Guy, Still Basking in Glow of Divorce

Comments

I just want to point out that while Jaime Foxx may be a talented singer and pianist, he did not actually sing in the movie Ray. They used recordings of Ray Charles' actual voice.

Posted by: sjcpeach | December 16, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

It would be better than a Jamie Farr sing off... i suppose... maybe...

nah

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | December 16, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I suspect Jamie would win despite his love of going a wee bit overboard. I still haven't heard Terrance sing but if he draws on the character from "The Best Man" he might put on a show. What I'd like to see is Wayne Brady as a surprise contestant. Apparently he has an album coming out as well.

Posted by: petalceleb | December 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Jamie Foxx definitly impressed the heck out of me when he sang back up on Kanye's Gold digger... he was so channeling Ray...

Posted by: LTL1 | December 16, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

As usual, can't see the video. Loved Jamie as Ray Charles. Just saw Terrence Howard in Crash (yeah I know I'm behind on my movies). Petal, I too am a Wayne Brady fan. Mmmmm. This would be an interesting competition although I have no interest in freezing my a$$ off in Times Square on New Year's Eve. Is Dick Clark up for this?

Posted by: hodie | December 16, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I saw a Jamie Foxx music video once and didn't see the big deal; sounded like everything else wailing soulfully out there.

He didn't really sing in "Ray"? Boy, is Sissy Spacek gonna be mad she actually did all the work for her Oscar for "Coal Miner's Daughter"!

Someone needs to produce the Oscar Rule Book for this stuff. Joaquin Phoenix loses, Reese Witherspoon wins, and they both did their own signing in "Walk the Line." Where's the justice?

Jessica Lange didn't win for lip-synching Patsy Cline in "Sweet Dreams" nor did Gary Busey for doing all his own signing in "The Buddy Holly Story." (And somewhere, Jessica Lange is telling Gary Busey "I told you so" and he's threatening to rip out her intestines.)

I mean what's the point of having any talent in these biopics? Just because Jamie Foxx CAN play the piano doesn't mean his hitting the keys were what made it into the final movie. Crazy.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I pity Terrence Howard if he makes it as a singer - his requirements for the personal hygiene of any would-be groupies would make backstage a lonely, lonely place for the man.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 16, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Loser's got next against Eddie Murphy with his hit single "Party All the Time."

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 16, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile Pierce Brosnan, Meryl Streep and the cast of Mama Mia sang their parts. I would have preferred a Milli Vanilli on that one.

Hodie,
Agreed, in regards to the Times Square thing.

Posted by: petalceleb | December 16, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I have heard Terrence Howard sing. I hope to never suffer through that experience again. He is a decent guitar player, so I suggest instrumentals in the future. Jamie Foxx wins this one, end of story.

Posted by: SweetieJ | December 16, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Loser's got next against Eddie Murphy with his hit single "Party All the Time."

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 16, 2008 1:46 PM

aaaaaaand stuck in my head. Thanks.

Posted by: aesully | December 16, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse