Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 12/24/2008

Last Minute Celeb-Inspired Gifting

By Liz Kelly

If you're anything like me, you've put off your holiday shopping until the very last moment. If you're nothing like me at all, you've also got thousands of dollars just waiting to be frivolously spent on one of the over-priced celeb-related gift ideas below. You'll be the talk of the family when they find out how many ducats you've dropped to make their dreams of rubbing shoulders with celebrities (or wearing a dress that once graced a celeb's shoulders) come true.

$624 - $1,699
Before you pay down that credit card debt, consider this wiser philanthropic use of your money credit: Buy the John Mayer fan in your life four days at sea aboard the Carnival Splendor with this puzzlingly popular singer-songwriter, best known for dating a series of starlets -- including, but not limited to, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jessica Simpson and Minka Kelly.

Wittily dubbed "Mayercraft Carrier 2," the cruise will take visitors from L.A. to Cabo San Lucas and back, and a guaranteed ticket to see John Mayer headline ONE show over the course of 96 hours. And, sorry, there's no guarantee that current flame Jennifer Aniston will be along for the ride.

$10,000
That's right, for a mere $10K -- enough money to pay for a semester of private school in Northern Virginia or fund a pretty decent trip to Italy -- your lucky gift recipient and a guest will be gauranteed admiittance to the Creative Coalition's inaugural ball. Since it isn't an official ball, the Obamas might not make an appearance. But who needs a history-making president when you can down champagne and canapes with expected attendees Anne Hathaway, Spike Lee, Tim Robbins, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Ron Howard, Ashley Judd, Kerry Washington, Dana Delany, Ellen Burstyn, Kate Walsh, Alan Cumming, Barry Levinson, Alfre Woodard, Josh Lucas, Matthew Modine, Richard Schiff, Connie Britton, Marcia Cross, Maura Tierney, Sue Kramer, Rachael Leigh Cook, Gloria Reuben, Wendie Malick, Adrian Grenier, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Phillip Bloch, Tom Cavanagh, Bradley Cooper, Blair Underwood, Lynn Whitfield, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Giancarlo Esposito, Kim Raver, Lawrence O’Donnell and Jane Krakowski?

$19,900
This one is for all of the Grinches out there who complain that I spend too much time covering youngsters like Britney Spears and Madonna. Imagine the look of surprise and/or horror on Christmas morning when your sweetie finds a 21-foot bass boat once owned by country singer Jerry Reed under the tree. Since your loved one is gaga about Reed, I don't have to tell you that he is best known for his role as Snowman opposite Burt Reynolds in the "Smoky and the Bandit" movies.

Too rich for your blood? One word: Hasselhoff.

---

By Liz Kelly  | December 24, 2008; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Holiday Guide
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Jennifer Hudson to Make First Appearance Since Family Tragedy
Next: Morning Mix: Aniston Tops Pitt for Holiday Box Office

Comments

The gym I go to was closed this morning (that will teach me not to read all the little fliers they have posted) so at 6:30 this am, I'm standing there wondering what do I do now that I'm up and out so early. Can you believe it, Old Navy opened up at 7am. I did my last minute shopping at 7am on Christmas Eve and spent next to nothing. I think I'll pass on the bass boat. I'm sure it is pretty sweet, though.

Posted by: hodie | December 24, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Happy holidays, Liz!

Don't forget the likelihood that someone will twist John Mayer's arm and get that "puzzlingly popular" guy (good description, BTW) to put on that Borat bathing suit again to scare small children and anyone with a heart condition.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 24, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

That $10k inaugural ball invitation actually isn't so bad if Anne Hathaway does indeed show up. Consider for the moment that she has a going rate of $12k just to have drinks with her and a rate of $50k and 10 to 15 years to date her.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 24, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

How much is the Jeremy Piven Thermometer? And, is it oral or the other kind?

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 24, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

If the Washington Post doesn't spring for the Creative Coalition ball ticket for Liz, I vote we Lizards take up a collection and get a ticket for her. You can rep the Celebritology regulars, Liz!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year...Happy Hanukkah...Kwanzaa Greetings...and Happy Festivus for the rest of us!

Posted by: pras40 | December 24, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Damn, Hodie! An 0630 gym call. I wish I was an early bird. My motto in the morning is, "I haven't had my coffee, yet. Don't make me kill you."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 24, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The best part of crusing on the Mayercraft Carrier 2? Flip cup tournaments.

Will the complimentary barf bags have that cute little graphic of John Mayer dressed as a fighter pilot?

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 24, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Celebritology will be dark on Dec. 25 and 26. Happy holidays and see you back here Monday."

Fock!!

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 24, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The best part of crusing on the Mayercraft Carrier 2? Flip cup tournaments.-mdreader

******************************************

I haven't played flip cup in years, I wonder if I still have my skills.

Oh and MStreet, given Jeremy Piven's personality, I'm going to bet it's not an oral thermometer.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 24, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Eh, flip cup just gets in the way of the important thing -- DRINKING the beer.

Posted by: epjd | December 24, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Dorkus, it's time for you to invite EP for a beer or three when she next makes it back to the home range.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 24, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Come to think of it, in these tough economic times, I think I'll have to skip the cruise and play "flip cup" with the Hoff. We can eat cheeseburgers off the floor, later.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 24, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Buy the John Mayer fan in your life four days at sea aboard the Carnival Splendor with this puzzlingly popular singer-songwriter, best known for dating a series of starlets -- including, but not limited to, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Jessica Simpson and Minka Kelly."

How many "Mission Accomplished" banners will John be hanging on this cruise?

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 24, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Eh, flip cup just gets in the way of the important thing -- DRINKING the beer.

Posted by: epjd | December 24, 2008 12:43 PM

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 24, 2008 12:48 PM

******************************************

I don't know Sas', she sounds like she may be hard to handle. Granted, I'm always up for a challenge.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 24, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like the $19K Jerrycraft may be a lot more interesting than the $624/room Mayercraft.

Jerry Reed's bass boat comes complete with "2 brand new in box Stan Sloan flip top black lights...boat is pre-wired with inserts for black-lights..."

All you mullet-headed smartypants out there are going to try and convince me that black lights have something to do with bass fishing, but I think otherwise.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 24, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Eh, flip cup just gets in the way of the important thing -- DRINKING the beer.

Posted by: epjd | December 24, 2008 12:43 PM

Not if you play it by B'more Cat and Beer Lover Rules! That is, drink whenever you want, while other people are distracted by those damn flipping cups.

Posted by: BMore_Cat_Lover1 | December 24, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

sas, needless to say I am guilty of blowing off the gym pretty often b/c I like my sleep and the one day I try to be good....smells like a new excuse coming

mdreader, I know a couple uses for black lights and let me just say, ewww, I will definitely pass on the bass boat.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanakkuh everyone! We get to go home early today. Hooray!

Posted by: hodie | December 24, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Alright, monthly report written, it's time for me to get out of Dodge.

Merry ChristmaHanukKwanSolstice everybody!

And to our Canadian friend, Happy Boxing Day, whatever the heck that is.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 24, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

BMore_Cat_Lover1, impressive question on this afternoon's Free Range cooking chat!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 24, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

We also have Boxing Day on Possum Island! You start drinking rum about now, grab a guitar and go around singing at all your friends' houses. Then they all have to give you a drink. Then on Dec. 26, you wake up on the beach in a box.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 24, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Returning to the original topic: Perhaps this holiday season some *lucky* gift-recipient will unwrap a small package from a loved one containing Scarlett Johanson's snot-filled tissue this holiday season, snagged by that anonymous bidder for a mere $5,300.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 24, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse