Posted at 7:51 AM ET, 12/ 9/2008

Morning Mix: Oprah Says She's Fallen Off the (Health) Wagon

By Liz Kelly

She's ba-ack: Bai Ling shows off her good side at the Movie Meets Media event in Hamburg, Germany on Monday. (Getty Images)
Tuesday

Headlines: 200 pound Oprah says she's "mad at herself" for not eating healthy... Jay Leno moving to NBC primetime... Lynne Spears blames herself for Britney's meltdown... Heath Ledger wins Australian award for Joker portrayal... Fans pay $12,000 for drinks with Anne Hathaway... Amy Poehler to make one more "SNL" appearance... Jennifer Aniston hopes "Marley & Me" takes focus off her private life (not holding breath); signs on for rom-com with Gerard Butler... Just in time for New Year's: Matthew McConaughey's "Surfer, Dude" set for Dec. 30 DVD release... Britney Spears in trouble with PETA... "Lost's" Josh Holloway (who frolics in the ocean in jeans) and wife expecting first child... Madonna sues U.K. newspaper for printing "private" wedding pictures.

Crime Watch: Suspect in shooting of Mark Ruffalo's brother in custody... Alyssa Milano seeks restraining order against alleged stalker.

Rumor Mill: T.R. Knight not leaving "Grey's Anatomy"... "American Idol" winner Fantasia Barrino's house in foreclosure... Drug tests required for Britney Spears's back-up dancers... Pam Anderson reportedly kisses/drinks/passes out her way through Miami weekend trip... Mariah Carey expecting?... Jessica Alba airbrushed to look thinner?

By Liz Kelly  | December 9, 2008; 7:51 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: Julia Roberts -- Not Gone, But Forgotten?
Next: Style-o-Metrics: Rate Cate

Comments

"McConaughey's character, Steve Addington, plays a didgeridoo in the buff while trying to seduce the ocean into making waves."

I find it a tad pathetic that McConaughey doesn't realize he's a tad long in the tooth for this type of caper.

Posted by: jelo | December 9, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm of the opinion that Jessica Alba looks fabulous before, during, and after air-brushing. Also, that's not the same photo.

Posted by: pras40 | December 9, 2008 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Jay Leno moving to prime time? Looks like I won't have to wait until 10:30 to change the channel away from lame headlines and Jay Walking jokes.

You know if NBC is so cash strapped and hard up for rating that they are putting Jay Leno on prime time, I say kill two birds with one stone and get Oprah on The Biggest Loser. That would be ratings gold.

The last guy to buy Anne Hathaway drinks is still paying for it, at least for the next 10-15 years.

Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, and Willie Nelson? I can't even imagine what the Funyuns budget was on that movie.

T.R. Knight apparently "is pissed and miserable and thinks his story line is stupid..."

-Yeah? Join the club.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm in mouring. Somehow I missed the memo about Josh Holloway being married. And now a kid. Sad sad day.

And remind me again why Bai Ling is a celebrity. I know she was involved in some kerfuffle a little while ago, but that type of thing is just white noise nowadays. I'd like that dress better on Kiera Knightly or ScarJo, but Bai Ling makes it trampy.

Dear Oprah, you're a big woman, get over it and love yourself for you!

Posted by: eet7e | December 9, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Fans pay $12,000 for drinks with Anne Hathaway...and $15 for a roofie, just in case...

"Britney Spears in trouble with PETA" - also her mom's fault, as it turns out.

Note to self: be sure to talk to Madonna about that whole horse/barn door analogy.

Alyssa Milano's restraining order: Now stalker guy will know who's the boss.

"Drug tests required for Britney Spears's back-up dancers" - yep, you guessed it: Lynne.

Is Pam Anderson doing some sort of Method research for The Anna Nicole Smith Story?

"Jessica Alba airbrushed to look thinner" - also Lynne Spears' fault, but we don't know why.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 9, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 9:01 AM

The huge funyons' budget line was more than offset by the teeny, tiny hygiene related budget line.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 9, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

And why isn't Surfer, Dude being released on 4/20?

Come to think of it, why is Surfer, Dude being released at all?

(I'd ask Dave, but Dave's not here, man.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 9, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

That photo of Pam Anderson exemplifies the phrase "Rode hard and put away wet."

Posted by: jelo | December 9, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

DorkusMaximus1 ... you're Oprah Biggest Loser line was priceless. And ya know I never watch that show, but I'd watch it to see Oprah suffer.

Posted by: melissamac1 | December 9, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

another thing...are those bai ling's panties i see or is that the top of her dress? take a closer look if you dare and don't mind being blind for a bit.

Posted by: melissamac1 | December 9, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

And why isn't Surfer, Dude being released on 4/20?-byoolin

*******************************************

Since that happens to be my birthday, I actually started to do some research of events that occurred on or near that day. On that day in history we have:

The Ludlow Massacre, several airline crashes (including Korean Air 902), Columbine, The Johnson Space Center shooting, and Hitler's birthday.

We don't need anymore bad things occurring on that day.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

We don't need anymore bad things occurring on that day.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 10:03 AM

****

Wow, Dorkus, you're right. That is a downer of a day. We will *never* mention your birthday again. Consider it as banished as the p-word.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 9, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

byoolin,
the weather sucks where i am. can i blame that on lynne spears, too? somebody has to be responsible.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 9, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

tr knight should know he's not suffering alone.... the *entire* grey's anatomy story line is stupid, not just his.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 9, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Brittney is trying to get past last year's breakdown. Why does Lynne feel she needs to keep bringing it up? Is she feeling left out of the pity party?

Fantasia, welcome back to the real world.

jelo, you are right about Matthew McConaughey being "long in the tooth" for his sort of roles. Another on today's post refusing to age gracefully, Pamela Anderson. Well past time she grows up.

Posted by: hodie | December 9, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

The thing about Oprah?

For the amount of money she's worth, she could hire both a personal chef and a personal trainer to keep her on the straight and narrow. I realize she's human and there's comfort food and all that stuff, but she - more than any woman in the country - has the capacity to keep herself healthy with experienced professionals guiding her.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | December 9, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the value of pictures from a celebrity wedding would DROP, precipitously, AFTER DIVORCE.

Now had Guy murdered Madonna, or vice versa, the value would SKYROCKET.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 9, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"Britney Spears is requiring her back-up dancers to submit to a drug test."

Well, considering that one of them could be her next baby daddy, that might not be a bad idea.

"It's going to be a pretty big tour," says Robert Baker, the studio director at Millennium Dance Complex... "They're going to have a three-ring circus with live animals, so it's probably stricter liability."

On the other hand, if Britney has to compete with the live animals for the affections of her back-up dancers, perhaps they shouldn't worry so much.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 9, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Poor Oprah.

"I had a dress on the vision board, but I'm not sure that's gonna fit," Winfrey said. "So I have to work on something else."

Oprah, you don't need a "vision board," you need a Wii Fit Balance Board.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 9, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Overweight or not, Oprah sure looks better than that nutty Bai Ling Thing.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 9, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Should we start a "What crazy name will Josh "Sawyer" Holloway name his baby" pool?

Posted by: wadejg | December 9, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Why do I think the charging for drinks with Anne Hathaway is because she has some federal fines to pay?

Wow, thanks Hollywood. Because Jessica Alba is not naturally thin enough, you have to airbrush her to make her look thinner. No wonder women hate themselves for looking fat.

Posted by: epjd | December 9, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, Bai Ling is back, skankin' it up on the red carpet again.

"...are those bai ling's panties i see or is that the top of her dress?"

I'm just counting my blessings she's *wearing* panties. We've all had enough of having our corneas seared by pantyless celebs.

Posted by: Californian11 | December 9, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Is that cameltoe I see in the Jessica Alba "before" picture?

I HATE photoshopped portraits of anyone.

Finally, I'm NFC on the 4/20 reference to Matthew Aromatic McConaughey.

Dorkus, I understand your feeling about the people and events that share your birthday. My first marriage anniversary was April 19, which had no newsworthy meaning until the Branch Davidian shootout and the bombing of the Murrah Building by Timothy McVeigh.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 9, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, I just read the transcripts of Gene's chat, if you want, I could tutor you on how to do long division.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey Sas, I need a second opinion here, did they de-biggen Jessica Alba in that airbrushed picture?

And I have a theory that the third week in April has exceptionally bad luck and therefore it is better to hide in a bunker deep underground until Cinco de Mayo.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize until I read the article about Jessica Alba v. Photoshop that the pix were part of a shoot for an ad for Campari.

Perverts of a certain age may remember that it was a Hustler parody of a Campari ad called "Jerry Falwell talks about his first time" (with his mom) that led to a lawsuit which ended in the Supreme Court, and they agreed with Hustler that the First Amendment meant it didn't matter if Jerry's feelings were hurt. He couldn't collect damages for that. Ptttttttttthhhht.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 9, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Great. Byoolin's outed me.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 9, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

My undying thanks for the Josh Holloway pix. I'm feeling a little faint, now...

Posted by: kbockl | December 9, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

My take on the Jessica Alba pics: first, it's a different shot taken on the same shoot (see angle of her head); second, they streamlined her hips and thighs a bit; the rest is just dealing with color saturation--they didn't enhance the cleavage so much as give it definition. I should get Mr. Hermespal to have a look--he'd break it down in a second, having touched up fashion shots for years. But he's off at a motorcycle shoot today (chrome is second only to hair for hassle).

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 9, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 9, 2008 5:08 PM

*******************************************

I've got to say, I hate it when I have a bad chrome day.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I love how so many people use the "thyroid imbalance" as an excuse for the weight gain. Oprah join the rest of us overweight Americans- it is a battle not easily won especially if you work hard, have no time for the gym and eat conveniently prepared food (that is usually not good for you).

Although I don't think she gets mother-of-the-year award, Lynn Spears shouldn't blame herself for her GROWN daughter's behavior.

Jennifer Anniston cracks me up- she is the one who brought up the crap about the past in the interview. No one really cares about her private life- I know I've moved on.

Whoa- that pic of Pammy ain't flattering. And is all that partying good for someone w/hep C? She needs to slow the heck down.

Posted by: plamar1031 | December 9, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I agree with Hermespal that Jessica's endowment was not embiggened. However, her hips, thighs and stomach were thinned, thus making her boobs appear bigger. The lighting in the first picture also differs from that in the second picture. Note the hot spot on top of her head in the first shot. Her hair has better definition in the second shot, probably because the lighting is better with reduced contract between foreground and background lighting. Also note that the photographer seems to have made better use of fill-in flash in the second picture.

But...because there are differences between the two shots that cannot be accounted by differences in set-up and lighting (slimmer thighs, waist and hips), who knows how much of the difference is due to photoshop.

Hermespal is right, when "hair" is used as synechdoche for "adult human female". Chrome is easier to deal with. I've never had a car bumper pressure me to go to a meaningless get-together at the in-laws.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 9, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus,

Just be glad your b'day isn't March 1st!

(and no, it is not near my b'day.)

Posted by: elias_howe | December 9, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

**********Welcome to------www.Mixedloving.com------the first, largest and most-trusted interracial dating site in the world.
This is the best place for looking for interracial dating relationship or marriage. We bring together interracial-dating minded singles from all races, ethnicities and cultures, whether they are in your own neighborhood or around the world.

Posted by: rosespears00 | December 10, 2008 3:38 AM | Report abuse