Posted at 7:07 AM ET, 12/ 8/2008

Morning Mix: Angelina Jolie Is Highest Paid Actress in 2008

By Liz Kelly

Crowe, left, greets comedian George Lopez at Oscar De La Hoya's welterweight boxing match against WBC lightweight champion Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas on Saturday (AP)
Monday

Headlines: Angelina Jolie was top paid actress of 2008... Celebs hit D.C. for Kennedy Center Honors... Jessica Simpson calls Tony Romo her "cowboy"... Russell Crowe, J.Lo, Will Farrell take in Oscar De La Hoya fight... Tom Cruise says he learned to dance watching "Soul Train" in surprisingly candid, human interview; Katie Holmes says she'd like to "kick some [expletive]" (videos)... "Man vs. Wild's" Bear Grylls injured in Antarctica... Dennis Rodman, Joan Rivers up next on "Celebrity Apprentice"... Tea Leoni and David Duchovny reunite for family day... Lindsay Lohan's leggings a hit... Kanye West hopes for fashion internship... Jonny Lee Miller and wife welcome son Buster Timothy... Bettie Page hospitalized following heart attack... Actor Paul Benedict ("The Jeffersons") dies at 70.

Video: Kennedy Center Honors

Pix: Which one is Suri?... Pam Anderson shows up for art show in bikini and t-shirt; gives photogs winning look (if the contest is "Who's craziest?").

Crime Watch: Boy George found guilty of false imprisonment; Goldman family still seeking $42 million.

Rumor Mill: Madonna gives Guy Ritchie $47 million divorce settlement... Jonas Brothers deny break up rumors... Janet Jackson isn't pregnant, says Jermaine Dupri... Amy Winehouse's husband wants $1.7 million to keep quiet, reports British tabloid... David Beckham's bodyguards scuffle with paparazzi... Chris Klein and Ginnifer Goodwin end two-year relationship... Fred Thompson ready to rent out D.C. apartment for inauguration weekend (for $30K).

By Liz Kelly  | December 8, 2008; 7:07 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About Face: Is Brad Bringing Back the 'Stache?
Next: Comment Box: Julia Roberts -- Not Gone, But Forgotten?

Comments

"Leggings" and "fashion" do not belong in the same sentence.

Pammy was apparently dressed for a no-pajama party.

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 8, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Jessica Simpson is presumably unaware of the contract with Jerry Jones that makes Tony Romo *his* Cowboy.

Reading the sports pages, it would seem that Russell Crowe, J.Lo and Will Farrell also would have had an easy time beating Oscar De La Hoya to a pulp.

Pam Anderson misunderstood the invitation when they called her: she thought it was an "arse show."

"Amy Winehouse's husband wants $1.7 million to keep quiet," which would be a considerable improvement over how his cellmate kept him quiet - by forcing his face into the pillow.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 8, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Liz, did you ever post the winners of the Kelly Ripa captioning contest?

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 8, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

"Goldman family still seeking $42 million."

Call me cynical, but their son was a nobody before OJ came along. *They* should be paying *him*.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 8, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

"Goldman family still seeking $42 million."

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 8, 2008 8:14 AM

Huh?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 8, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

What is the green stuff in Crowe's mouth?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 8, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I can take snark and all but byoolin's comments about the Goldman's are over the line. Not everyone likes them or agrees with their media tactics but they have every right to collect on the money they were awarded by a jury. OJ murdered their child. I'm sure they'd love to trade places with you if you'd like OJ to *make* you instead.

Posted by: lafilleverte | December 8, 2008 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Lohan's best-seller is her Mr. President leggings ... Black with grey knee patches, the $132 tights are a big hit from coast to coast.

These are Marilyn Monroe inspired??? I would have thought Monica Lewinsky.

Posted by: Osteph | December 8, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

And the Lindbergh Baby comment of the week goes to byoolin (and yeah I did laugh at it, I know I have a sick and twisted sense of humor, I once laughed at Dane Cook.)

Jessica, dear, if your "Cowboy" keeps playing like he did last night, he won't be a Cowboy for much longer.

What could Blake Fielder-Civil tell us that would creep us out more than we already know about Amy Winehouse? I say call his bluff.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 8, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

*Green stuff in Russell Crowe's mouth--chewing gum

*EXTRA! EXTRA! Dame Helen bathing suit pics on the Daily Mail website!

Posted by: pras40 | December 8, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to realize that any JSimp reference makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Lighten up lafilleverte, its just a bit of gallows humor.

Posted by: jelo | December 8, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Although I too, would sue OJ into misery. I feel sorry for his children though. . .

Posted by: jelo | December 8, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

*EXTRA! EXTRA! Dame Helen bathing suit pics on the Daily Mail website!
====================================

eeeeewwwwwwwww! Don't look.

LiLo Leggins: we Lizards decided some time ago that their crotchless feature would make them a hit. Tah-daH!

Yr ob't svt,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 8, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Angelina the highest paid? Good, she can use the publicity. (She was the girl in that Winona Ryder "Girl" something movie, wasn't she?)

What was Katie Holmes doing in Antartica with Bear Grylls? (Oh, they're two separate items. Nevermind.)

Tom Cruise should've been watching "Soul Train" on a TV with less static.

Paul Benedict was only 70? That means on the Jeffersons he was only, like, 35? He seemed 70 then.

Oh thank God. I read "Which one is Suri?" and thought maybe she'd already earned the Madame Tussaud's treatment.

Did Jermaine Dupri really say that Janet Jackson wasn't pregnant or was he misheard while vomiting?

(Hmm. . . . this December 8th Morning Mix featured Chris Klein, Katie Holmes, and Suri Cruise. Curious.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 8, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

My research is paying off. Apparently "the line" falls somewhere between being raped in a prison cell (à la Blake Fielder-Civil) and being murdered (Mr. Goldman/the Lindbergh baby).

Obviously, more work is needed to figure out exactly where "the line" is. For example, are "two more bullets to reunite the Beatles" jokes closer to the Fielder-Civil side or the Goldman/Lindbergh side of the line? Does today being the 28th anniversary of John's murder affect the placement of the line? And which was the worst single by an ex-Beatle: Paul's "Ebony & Ivory", John's "Woman is the [n-word] of the World", George's "Got My Mind Set on You", or Ringo's [insert title here]?

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 8, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Lighten up lafilleverte, its just a bit of gallows humor.

Posted by: jelo | December 8, 2008 8:48 AM

Tacky, really tacky.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 8, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

byoo,

They said Lenny Bruce was over the line too so you are in good company.

Re the Beatles, gotta be Ringo. I'd send him an email and tell him so, but you know...

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 8, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

(How about that weather, folks? Cold enough for you? Am I the only one who is tired of radio stations playing the same 12 holiday songs over and over? And does the world really need Barbra Striesand's rendition of any of them? I mean really, there are hundreds of Christmas albums out there. Put away the Christmas shoes and dig out the Harry Connick or Ella Fitzgerald. Returning to our regularly scheduled snark:)

Kanye West could use a music internship.

Boy George is turning into Uncle Fester right before our eyes. Creepy.

Are the Jonas boys breaking up with each other via text message?

If only Katie Holmes had been around to help out with Becks' bodyguards.

And Project Runway watchers, who saw the name Bettie Page and pictured Kenley Collins? Show of hands.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 8, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

reddragon, Lenny Bruce is not afraid. I, on the other hand, am scared you-know-whatless.

td, I bet they won't play this song on the radio: http://radio3.cbc.ca/play/band/THE-PARKDALE-HOOKERS/Have-A-Parkdale-Hookers-Christmas-Time/

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 8, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm a little more disturbed by the multiple references to vomit than Byoolin's Line ... hard to take before lunchtime. At any rate, I agree with B's point. It's fine to seek retribution through civil courts, but why would anyone think he should be worth $42 million. He was a waiter. If you're going to say that's not the point, that you really can't put a price on a life, why not make it more like $700 Billion and ask the Treasury Department for an investment?

BTW Byoolin, I'd have to go with Paul's "Silly Love Songs" ... as long as we are talking about the V word.

Posted by: rashibama | December 8, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, if you think I am going to check out that link at work, you're sadly mistaken. (Nice URL! Is Parkdale near you?)

And don't diss Ringo (too much) musically. The songs by Paul or John mentioned above are MUCH worse. Ringo actually had more top hits early on after the Beatles breakup. Then came Paul and Wings.

"Silly Love Songs" gets my vote too -- good one, rashibama! (I was going to go with "Ebony & Ivory" but decided that Stevie Wonder can do no wrong musically. "Say Say Say" with Michael Jackson, on the other hand. . . . )

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 8, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

My vote would go to Macca's "Mamumia."

Oh, oh, oh.

And I am soooo p.o.'d at Pam Anderson. I was planning to wear just that outfit to the office Christmas dinner on Thursday. Damn. Now I have to improvise.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 8, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

You know, I wonder if Suri Cruise - at the very least - is going to have some sort of eye damage from all the paparazzi shots of her.

Personally, I looked at that picture and flashed on my oldest nephew (now college aged). He had a blanket and a particular stuffed animal he went almost nowhere without until he was about 5, and he certainly didn't stop sleeping with them until he was much older than that.

Kids need security blankets (or animals or whatevers) - it's just part of the psychology. If Suri Cruise needs 3, I can't say I blame her. Besides, it seems to have gotten her out of her cute little dresses - anyone else notice she was wearing jeans?

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | December 8, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

td

Thanks for bringing up Wings. You may be right. After all, you were right about Michelle Rodriguez.

Maybe expectations on Ringo were lower to begin with, or he just didn't have as far to fall. I'd like to give Ringo more esteem, but It Don't Come Easy.

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 8, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

$42M?

Well, he was their son.

But it does seem excessive, but he was their son. Too bad he got famous.

I don't know why the Lindburgh Baby is funny and two Beatles bullets and a Mezzaluna waiter aren't. Maybe it's the distance that time provides.

Thoughtfully yours,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 8, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I mean Penelope Cruz.

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 8, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I would definitely vote for Ebony and Ivory. Nice sentiment but so sickly sweet it hits the gag receptors. Am I the only one who actually likes Silly Love Songs? Love the horns.

byoolin, yes the Goldman comment a bit harsh but we know what you meant. Rashibama summarizes nicely. Some are a bit serious on a Monday morning...

Impossibly sweet Katie Holmes says she wants to "kick a$$" and Tom admits to geekily teaching himself to dance while watching soul train. Are they still trying to convince us they're still human? Don't be fooled!

Jessica Simpson, please no pet names in public. Gag again.

Pam Anderson's outfit is the outfit I dream that I wear in my nightmares where I go somewhere but forget to wear my pants. Who else has had dreams like that?

Posted by: hodie | December 8, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Apparently the LiLo Leggings with the knee pads are in fact called the "Mr. President" tights. Acording to Lohan, the entire line is inspired by Marilyn Monroe's glamour and timeless sophistication. So, how long until Monroe's estate sues for defamation?

Posted by: northgs | December 8, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 8, 2008 9:50 AM

Amen to that. Although I really wish it weren't so. Bettie Page is just so much better than that scary little girl.
I am also impressed by how fast Lilo's Mr. president leggings are selling. Who would have thought that people would appreciate the knee pads or cortchlessness so much?

Posted by: ThatGuy1 | December 8, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I think it's completely possible to feel that (1) OJ is a dangerous and despicable person who likely got away with murder and (2) the Goldmans need to concentrate on honoring their son's legacy in ways that don't solely involve a million-dollar payout. Besides, wasn't he being tried for robbery, not murder? I think we have a law about this thing called "double jeopardy" somewhere. Or maybe I heard it on an episode of Law and Order.

In far more important news, I agree with Dorkus- what more could Blake Whatshisface possibly tell us about Amy Winehouse? Maybe that her body has finally given up and started to produce its own heroin?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

oh snap!

validation, lizards....

Posted by: dablues1 | December 8, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It looks like Pammy Anderson stole the orange dye from the back of George Lopez's neck.

And now, she looks exactly like a troll doll.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 8, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to weigh in on the Goldman/O.J. thread.

The Goldman family has said, I believe, in the past that they are not seeking this money because they want the money, but because they want to completely and utterly crush O.J. Simpson in every legal way possible. Considering the man they hold responsible for murdering their son walked away a free man, I think I get their motivation.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | December 8, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

LLL #1 Lindsay Lohan Leggings are "blowing off the shelves." So are the ladies who are wearing them.

LLL #2 "We are building a lifestyle brand that represents timeless glamour." There's only one lifestyle I can think of where leggings might be considered "glamourous." It's the old one.

LLL #3 "Our hope is to organically [roll] out additional product categories over the next several years." "Organically [roll.]" So that's what the kids are calling it today.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 8, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I love the phrase "organically roll out additional product categories."
I think it means, "We can't believe these are selling so we'll just put a few out at a time just in case someone realizes we're pulling an 'Emperor's New Clothes' scam."

Posted by: pras40 | December 8, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Nice use of the Ringo lyric, reddragon!

And you can't go wrong with Penelope Cruz.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 8, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

Ahhh, how did I forget that?! I remember hearing that too. well said, i can see their motivation now too.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 8, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding analysis, "methinks"!

So as the outgoing president "organically rolls out" that auto industry bailout, we can enjoy Jessica Simpson's "organically rolled out" new album.

Those of you in Dallas are waiting for Tony Romo to "organically roll out" a completed pass.

As for the rest of us, we are desparately hoping that Madonna and A-Rod can "organically roll out" their relationship before they decide to break up.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 8, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Too bad about Ginnifer Goodwin and Chris Klein. Now who will wear the mantle of "cutest couple ever"?

It's been said before and it'll be said again, but "rode hard and put up wet" is what immediately comes to mind re. Pam Anderson. Pammy dear, you are no longer a sex kitten. Please go away.

Don't Tom's $cientolocult handlers follow Katie everywhere she goes? Surely some of them could have helped carry that boatload of toys.

Posted by: Californian11 | December 8, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

td_in_baltimore said:

I'm in Western Wisconsin. Several of our radio stations (run by Clear Channel) start with non-stop Christmas music the week BEFORE Thanksgiving and don't let up after New Year's. It was the prime motivator to get a second XM radio when we moved out here.

And I don't want to hear about East Coast weather. Sure, it's a bit cold and wet. But it was -6 with a windchill of -10 when I woke up on Sunday morning to walk my dog. We will not discuss how I have already toned up my shoveling muscles...

On the upside, I'm pretty sure we'll have another White Christmas, which is always pleasant.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | December 8, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Chasmo, 3 little letters: NPR.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 8, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I still feel for the Simpson children. They are the ones must carve out some kind of life knowing that their mother was murdered by their father, who is now incarcerated in another state and effectively penniless. I wonder what the Goldmans' think of the Simpson children.

Posted by: jelo | December 8, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The xmas carols on Possum Island started before Halloween. The stomach flu
and dengue fever started getting passed around shortly thereafter.
As for post-Beatles crap, who could forget "Temporary Secretary"?
To his credit, Paul did write some nice songs with Elvis Costello.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 8, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I was about to rail about Christmas carols, then I was about to rant about Temporary Secretary (O, Mr. Marx/can you find for me/someone strong and sweet/sitting on my knee), and then I realized that the worst ex-Beatle single AND the worst Christmas song are one and the same:

The party's on/
The feeling's here/
That only comes/
this time of year.
Simply having/
a wonderful Christmas time
Simply having/
a wonderful Christmas time

Gah.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 8, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

jelo
I wonder what the Goldmans' think of the Simpson children.

OJ's the one who should've thought of that.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 8, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I am sitting at my desk right now with my head swimming in cold medication (which is kind of making work interesting today), but at least my radio station isn't playing Christmas carols.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, still an NPR person, but sometimes when you're driving around, you want to listen to something else. But hey, we're living in Prairie Home Companion world out here (and have been to a few performances) - can't live without NPR.

I had XPR as one of my favorites on my XM, but now we get NPR because of the merger, so that's a positive...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | December 8, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I'm posting this twice because I was in the wrong comment section when I originally posted it, like I said I'm all fuzzy-brained on cold meds.

*****************************************

I spoke to soon. This is as close to a Christmas song that I've heard on the radio so far:

Sadly I think my family is starting to become more and more like the people in the song.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 8, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer Aniston Calls Public Fascination With Her Life "Ridiculous"

Jennifer Aniston says she doesn't get why people care about her life so much.

"I think it's ridiculous. There's just this insatiable need," she tells USA Today.

She hopes her new film Marley & Me (out Dec. 25) "is going to create something else to talk about and realize that I have a job, and I'm an actress.

"I am honestly getting sick of it, and I feel like telling people, 'You know what? It's none of your (expletive) business.' Seriously, it's enough," adds Aniston, who openly talked about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt in December's Vogue.

********
She's an actress? Really? I never would have guessed. And Jen, if you're sick of it, then SHUT THE HE11 UP!!!!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 8, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I second byoolin's nomination for the worst Christmas song ever. I want to drive off the road whenever I hear it. Another Christmas song that puts me in postal mode is "I wanna Hippopotamus for Christmas". Turns me into the Grinch in nothing flat.

Dorkus, may I suggest you put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up. That's what I'm doing. Get well soon.

Hodie, Lizard Island Witch Doctor

Posted by: hodie | December 8, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I third hodie's second of byoolin's nomination for Worst Christmas song ever!!! UGH it makes me want to simply stick a fork in my ear.

But hodie, I think the hippo song is kind of cute, as long as I hear it only once a year. The SHAWCT song comes on every 17.4 minutes or so, it seems.

Posted by: auntieW | December 8, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Every time I turn around someone mentions another bad Paul McCartney song (it's like a replicating virus!). "Wonderful Christmastime" is worse than a "Silly Love Songs"/"Ebony & Ivory" medley. I third byoo's nomination.

But is it worse than Yoko wailing "A very very very merry Christmas, and a happy new yeeeeeeear"? Not so sure 'bout that. Discuss.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 8, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

At least Pam Anderson is wearing a hat since like 80% of body heat escapes through your head. Good thought to keep warm in that outfit.

Posted by: msame | December 8, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Your Honor, I offer for your consideration....Exhibit 12:

"Jet was your father as bold as the sergeant major
How come he told you that you were hardly old enough yet
And Jet I thought the major was a lady suffragette
Jet Jet Jet

Ah Mater want Jet to always love me
Ah Mater want Jet to always love me
Ah Mater . . . much later
Jet"

The prosecution rests.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 8, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

dablues,

Right. Jet. I had forgotton.

Next thing you know, someone will give a real kid that name. Oh. Wait.

Posted by: jsk2 | December 8, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

So much material here, so sorry I'm late today:

Posted by: hodie | December 8, 2008 11:12 AM

hodie, I for one frequently dream of you leaving your house without your pants. I think we all do, even if we don't admit it.

Personally, re fork-in-ear Christmas songs, I have to nominate Feliz Navidad, which seems to consist of only one lyric, repeated over and over. And over. And over. Of course, I might be wrong, there might actually be a verse and all, but I'm afraid to even think about it or Google it, lest I get the stuck in my head...

Posted by: 7900rmc | December 8, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

That was me, Snarky Squirrel. I HATE this new system.

Posted by: 7900rmc | December 8, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Snarky, your 7:43 reminds me that Scott Feschuk's blog had a nice bit today in which his guest blogger was the little baby Jeebus. Highlights:

"11:51 Man, this is awkward. There’s this kid who’s been playing his drum for me for, like, ever... has no one in this town heard of a melody? Maybe if I smile at him he’ll stop.

"12:08 p.m. Pah-rum-pum-pum-pum. Oh great, now that’s going to be in my head all day."

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 9, 2008 7:38 AM | Report abuse

**********Welcome to------www.Mixedloving.com------the first, largest and most-trusted interracial dating site in the world.
This is the best place for looking for interracial dating relationship or marriage. We bring together interracial-dating minded singles from all races, ethnicities and cultures, whether they are in your own neighborhood or around the world.

Posted by: rosespears00 | December 10, 2008 3:39 AM | Report abuse