Posted at 7:42 AM ET, 12/19/2008

Morning Mix: Jeremy Piven's Illness Revealed

By Jen Chaney
Friday

Headlines: More details on the "mystery illness" that forced Jeremy Piven to leave Broadway's "Speed-the-Plow": apparently Ari is suffering from what his doctor calls "shocking" levels of mercury in his system, caused by consuming excess sushi and Chinese herbs... Jermaine Dupri denies that he and Janet Jackson are breaking up and, while he's at it, squashes rumors about her pregnancy... The film "Doubt" leads the Screen Actors Guild nominations with five nods... Angie Harmon and husband Jason Sehorn welcome third daughter, Emery Hope Sehorn... MTV News's Man of the Year? No, it's not Obama. It's...Lil Wayne! And their woman of the year? Twilighters!

R.I.P.: "Apocalypse Now" actor Sam Bottoms -- he played surfing soldier Lance B. Johnson -- dies of brain cancer at age 53... Majel Rodenberry, the "First Lady" of "Star Trek," dies of leukemia at age 76... And the most famous informant in American history, Mark W. Felt, a.k.a. Deep Throat, has died at the age of 95.

Brangelina Round-up:
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie deny they signed $200 million pre-nup... Paramedics may have been called to Brangelina's L.A. home, where they transported an elderly man to the hospital. Then again, it might have been a neighbor's house. (Third theory? That man was Pitt pretending to be an elderly baby, all part of an elaborate promotional stunt for the upcoming "Curious Case of Benjamin Button")... The Brangelina brood plans to spend Christmas in Paris.

Directing Developments: Stephen Chow drops out as director of Seth Rogen's "Green Hornet"... Baz Luhrmann to direct "The Great Gatsby"?... Guillermo del Toro's version of "The Hobbit" pushed back to 2012.

Say What?: “We love each other and we are married whether somebody said it or not. Whether we had some kind of ceremony or not, we believe that nothing outside of yourself can make your union sacred except you."

-- Jim Carrey, getting more philosophical about his relationship with Jenny McCarthy than one probably needs to at the premiere of a movie like "Yes Man"

By Jen Chaney  | December 19, 2008; 7:42 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Interview Tips for the Media-Challenged Celebrity
Next: Friday List: TV's Most Awesome Holiday Episodes

Comments

Mercury poisoning from too much sushi? Let me get out my sympathy violin....

MTV, as always, way to keep your finger on the pulse of the nation. Now if only Lil' Wayne and Twilight impacted my life in any significant way.

Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet? Sigh....

Sure, Jim, whatever you say, you guys are married. You two can go and make crappy movies together in perfect fake marriage bliss.

R.I.P. Majel Rodenberry. At least now you can join Gene in the final frontier.

And ep, I ended up not running last night since the fog got so thick I could barely see 100 ft in front of me.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 19, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I just caught up on the comments from yesterday - I got distracted by that whole work thing. So,

Congrats, ep! I will be sending you all the good "get-that-job" vibes that I can muster. Good Luck!

Jermaine Dupri denies that he and Janet Jackson are breaking up
Who is taking the bets on when they announce the break up? Do they have tattoos yet?

Jim - you and Jenny deserve each other - clearly you both are determined to make up your own versions of reality.

Posted by: VaLGaL | December 19, 2008 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Poor Jeremy Piven. I hope they find the sleezeball that is selling all that mercury-laced cocaine, er, sushi. I meant sushi.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 19, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

And the Oscar for most creative excuse by a publicist for bizarre celebrity behavior goes to.... Jeremy Piven's publicist, for "Mercur-Ahi"!

Posted by: northgs | December 19, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Deepthroat

Your simple codename gave the adult film industry a lifetime of film titles.

R.I.P. Majel Barrett

Computer... Rest.

Shouldn't someone get confirmation before this is news??? Fourth theory, Brad and Angelina are freaks?!?!?!

Posted by: ChaoticCracker | December 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

And it's going to be quite the lineup at the Pearly Gates today. How much you wanna bet that Paul Weyrich tries to jump the line?

Posted by: northgs | December 19, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

They grow opium poppies in China don't they? Does that make smack a Chinese herb? Just parsing. Not making any snide insinuations.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 19, 2008 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Apologies to fellow Lizards - but I've always been a sucker for Jim Carrey. Can't wait to see his new movie.

Also, I don't think "Brad and Angelina are freaks" is a THEORY....

Posted by: jaybbub | December 19, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

And speaking of The Swayze (aren't I always?) - saw a preview for his new show last night. Sweeeet! Can't wait!

Keep fighting the good fight, Patrick. We heart you.

Posted by: jaybbub | December 19, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Deepthroat

Your simple codename gave the adult film industry a lifetime of film titles.

Sorry, but the movie came first...1972. The reference to Deep Throat the source was in the book, published in 1974.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 19, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

RIP Majel Roddenberry.

Why would anyone think the person transported from the Brangelina home in LA was one of them? They are never anyplace long enough for an ambulance to arrive.

Also, to have a prenup, does that not imply a nup comng along someday?

Speaking of nups, Carrety sounds like a guy who has lost a lot in a few divorces. One way to avoid some of that unpleaseantness is to only have a "spiritual" marriage.

Posted by: epjd | December 19, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Screen Actors Guild nominates Meryl Streep's and Phillip Seymour Hoffman's new film but I DOUBT I'll see it! Bwahahaha! (Sorry, couldn't help myself)...

Mercury poisoning can be pretty serious if he has had chronic exposure. Can cause dementia like symptoms and renal failure. It is treatable however. Still it's somewhat rare and a convienent excuse for his behaviour of late. Whatever. Jeremy, get well soon so we can snark on you again.

"Emery Hope". Not a bad name. Not exactly traditional but sounds normal. Good job Mom and Dad. At least she won't get beat up at school for a crazy name. (Gwynneth can you hear me?? Change it now before her classmates decide she would be better as Apple sauce)

Posted by: hodie | December 19, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

While it's unclear whether the elderly person transported to the hospital was taken from the Brangelina home or a neighbor's, I'd point out that wealthy people with multiple homes generally have caretakers living on the premises full-time. I know this because my eldest uncle and aunt had such a job for many years when I was a kid, and it was definitely sweet to be able to go visit them when the rich geezer wasn't scheduled to be around! So IF the person WAS in fact at Brangelina's home, he might've been a visiting relative of a staff member. Or, maybe he wasn't at their place at all, but some irresponsible website just wanted to grab a little attention...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

So, there has got to be a joke here somewhere:

Sam Bottoms, Majel Rodenberry, Mark Felt, Paul Weyrich, and Jennifer Gale are standing outside the Pearly Gates....

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 19, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Dr. hodie, aren't there a number of trace minerals that can have toxic effects above slight levels, not just mercury? E.g., lead and asbestos.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, who's Jennifer Gale?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Gale was one of our local characters here in Austin who died the other day, ep understands the reference. I can't say that there weren't times I considered her to be strange, but I do admire her spirit and willingness to practice what she believed. Here's the link to the story in the local paper:

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 19, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Kinda slow today, huh? Isn't Beyonce doing (or wearing) anything strange? And what about Ms. Winehouse? Haven't heard anything outta her in days.

Posted by: rashibama | December 19, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

lead definitely can have neurotoxic effects and lower the IQ a few points. Asbestos is associated with cancer (mesothelioma-cancer of the lining of the lung) and other lung diseases.

Posted by: hodie | December 19, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

So, there has got to be a joke here somewhere:

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 19, 2008 10:12 AM

Dorkus, there's definitely material here, but I got nuthin' (despite more thought on the subject than my boss would appreciate). Where were you going with this?

Posted by: northgs | December 19, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

northgs, I'm not sure where I was going with it, it just seemed to be an eclectic group of people to have died together.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 19, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

For information on mercury poisoning, check out http://www.diagnosismercury.org.

Posted by: Environment1718 | December 19, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

RIP Majel--daughter of the Fifth House of Betazed, the Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, and Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed.

Tell Gene we said 'hey'.

Posted by: jelo | December 19, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Mamet is an insensitive, self-centered a**hole. Piven should be glad to be rid of him...

Posted by: kushka53 | December 19, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

This may well be true, and yet hardly surprising--many geniuses are thus, and it's hard to deny he's a genius. Not making excuses, just sayin'. On the other hand, in this business there are many many people who fit the same description...without the genius part.

Hi Lizards, I'm back from Paris, which was cold, gray and rainy...but still Paris! We left the country restocking bordeaux and chocolate...

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 19, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll see you that bet and raise you one, VaLGaL.

Hmm, whatever's in that Brangelina/Paris link must be good, as it's blocked here at work!

Posted by: Californian11 | December 19, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Welcome home, sorcerers_cat! Glad to hear you had a good time. How were the pastries? Sounds like you had typical almost-winter weather in Paris, but that's still probably better than what a lot of the US had the past week (oh, I forgot, you're in Southern California; cancel that thought).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Californian11

The link is to a website called
celeb!tchy.com
(except substitute a lower-case "i" for the exclamation point). That's probably the reason workplace access to the site is denied.

Here's part of the article's text:

Despite constantly traveling around the globe, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie still prefer France as their home base – at least for now. Brad told “Access Hollywood that the family of eight will spend Christmas in France this year. It seems Brad and Angie might end up settling there.

They’re clearly very happy in France, although despite what Brad said they have had some run-ins with the paparazzi and their neighbors, who have complained that they monopolize the town’s police resources. Nonetheless it’s probably still quieter than any existence they could have in America.

Yesterday Brad noted that he and Angelina try to keep their Christmas spending reasonable and don’t spoil the kids. He also said they have a Christmas tradition where everyone has to give a gift they’ve made themselves...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Nosy. The pastries were to die for. As was all of the food really...and the hot chocolate...and the wine...and the cheese of course! We had a blast. And incidentally, they had SNOW here in southern California while I was gone!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 19, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if you want to see what we saw (the Champs lit up for the holidays), it was like this:

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 19, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes we sure did, sorcerers_cat. And I agree about the food in France -- it is all so good. I have not eaten one thing there I didn't like ... why don't we have freshly made crepes-to-order at stands on the street here? Mmmmm!

Posted by: Californian11 | December 19, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Merci beaucoup, sorcerers_cat. Presumably the lighting mania has to do with raging against the Winter Solstice.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Sorcerer's Cat you made it back in time before the Brangelina brood arrived. Welcome home! So what did you bring back your friends at the Tiki bar? huh huh?

Posted by: hodie | December 19, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Erm, I brought a case of bordeaux and a pound of truffles from La Maison Chocolate...sound good? Oh, and a wheel of camembert and a couple of loaves of french bread. Break out the corkscrew!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 19, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh you shouldn't have! Come on everyone before Sasquatch gets here.

Posted by: hodie | December 19, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Howdy-Ho, Hodie!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 19, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Sas, did you read about Bristol Palin's baby-daddy's mother getting busted on drug charges?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Really, Tina Fey needs to do one more episode of SNL now. It's her patriotic duty.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, yes, I read about it. I wonder if she got busted because she didn't share the crystal meth. How or why a 42 year-old succumbs to the lure of crystal meth, I haven't a clue.

Nosy, who would play Levi's Mom To Fey's Palin?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 19, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm no Paris Hilton fan, but I do feel sorry for her on this. So much for security guards.

"Thief breaks into Paris Hilton's home"

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Celebrity heiress Paris Hilton's house was broken into Friday by a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and gloves who forced open the front door and made off with belongings, police said.

Hilton was not home during the early morning burglary, said Richard French, spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department.

The burglary as reported by a security guard at Hilton's gated Los Angeles community, French said.

Police did not release the value of the stolen items. But French said the robber "ransacked" Hilton's bedroom...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Sas, If only Amy Poehler would relent and come back for one last hurrah...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 19, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

OK - I'm way late and no one will read it - BUT I think Brangelina are trying to get married. They are making all these silly comments "no, we don't have a prenup" and "well, we might marry for the kids" b/c they don't want to come right out and say:

"We pontificated on and on about not getting married until everyone can b/c we thought the law was changing soon. We had sort of planned to get married all along b/c this is getting more legally complicated every day - adopting children, making wills, etc. So we want to somehow get married but pretend it was forced upon us by outside forces b/c we have no common sense."

There. It's been said. Now you can get married and then resume frantically flying around the world for no apparent reason other than you are trying to maximize your carbon footprint while lecturing the rest of us about our wasteful lives.

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 19, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Tabloids say that Bradgelina are pregnant with another set of twins. Are they trying to populate a new country?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 19, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I hope that's just a rumor. Otherwise I'll have to say I've known rabbits who are less prolific.

Posted by: Californian11 | December 19, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

And we have a contender for quote of the week:

Amelia, you may have a point here. They pontificated so long that getting married would look hypocritical. Cant' have that now. So, they just claim they HAVE to for the kids and legal reasons.

Posted by: epjd | December 19, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Your Hobbit story has been proven false:

All the best,