Posted at 8:00 AM ET, 12/31/2008

Morning Mix: Kevin Bacon Latest Madoff Scheme Victim

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Britney Spears and Angelina Jolie top most-exposed celeb list... Most desirable celebrity neighbor? Sarah Palin... Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick lose money in Madoff scheme... Jessica Simpson rushes to injured Tony Romo's side... Marisa Tomei credits hula hoop for keeping her in shape... Hollywood heavyweights give over $1 million for inauguration... Tom Cruise's "Valkyrie" doesn't flop at box office... 79-year-old Dick Clark still plans to rock New Year's Eve... Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox and Laura Dern to greet 2009 in Cabo San Lucas... Former Eurythmic Dave Stewart designs sex toy.

Pix: Donatella Versace + bikini = NSFW... Bearded Joaquin Phoenix parties in Miami... Beyonce and Jay-Z vacation in St. Barts.

Crime Watch: DMX pleads guilty to drug, theft and animal cruelty charges... Police allegedly close to arrest in death of Mark Ruffalo's brother... Suspect in Hudson family deaths appears in court.

Rumor Mill: Bristol Palin accepting bids for baby pix... Dane Cook's brother/manager arrested for stealing millions from comedian... Docs advise Angelina Jolie to avoid more pregnancies, claims tabloid... Britney Spears dating Bollywood dance instructor?; brother set to marry tonight in New Orleans... John Mayer skips art show to avoid ex Jessica Simpson... Mariah Carey's life to become Broadway musical?.. Balthazar Getty losing his "Brothers and Sisters" gig?... Jennifer Hudson may sing at inaugural... Oprah to host her own inauguration ball.

By Liz Kelly  | December 31, 2008; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2008: The Year in Celebrity
Next: 2008's Most Shocking Celebrity Story?

Comments

Wow. The Madoff news brings a whole new dimension to the "6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 31, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"Dane Cook's brother/manager arrested for stealing millions from comedian" -- clearly he wasn't stealing any jokes (Dane had already done that).

Oprah. What a doof. Go host your little dance over there in Chicago with the uncool kids. The rest of us will be in DC. Go on now. Shoo.

Donatella! Don't look! It's HORRIBLE. Please, for the love of God. AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 31, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Someone has captioned the photo of Dave Stewart, in the comments section of the article, Dave Stewart, right, with his wife, The Rain.
Had to share.

Posted by: otherliz | December 31, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Oops, Oprah's having her anti-prom in DC. My bad. Still reeks of "look at me, look at me!" She still thinks the election is about her!

I guess Kyra Segwick will continue to have to bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, etc. (Great, now I have that old Enjoli commercial in my head.)

And Marisa, whatever you're doing, it's working. Just don't let Dick Clark borrow the hula hoop before tomorrow; he might break a hip or something.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 31, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I wouldn't say the Donatella Versace pics are NSFW, rahter I would classify them as Not Safe For sight, appetite, sanity...

When I first saw the words Jessica Simpson and art show in the same sentence I was sure it had to be a typo.

From one of the links in the People story about Ms. Simpson, apparently Tony Romo plays one of her songs to "pump up" the Cowboys before a game. You can't get pumped up for a football game listening to Jessica Simpson!!!! Dallas needs to get a new quarterback, one that still has all his man cards.

The only issue I have with that sex toy is that it has a leather cord so you can wear it around your neck and take it out of the town.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 31, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Donatella Versace + bikini = NSFW"

Maybe make that a NSFAN - Not Safe For Avoiding Nightmares - warning?

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 31, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

So is Aniston going to Cabo so she can mope around about how Brad dumped her there a few years back? You may have heard about it.

Posted by: jes11 | December 31, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Dane Cook's brother stole millions from Dane? Who knew Dane had that much money?

Yeah, go to the Oprah Ball. Since the Obamas won't be there, nothing will interfere with her getting attention. Guess we know why she is not one of the celebs giving to the Inauaguation.

Bristol Palin, I am just ashamed of you.

As for Simpson-Romo, the farther that person stays from the QB, the happier legions of Cowboys' fans will be. Plus, really, he plays her songs? No wonder they keep losing. If I were on the team, I would make a deal with Tony, he only get to play it before games if he didn't fumble in the game before.

Posted by: epjd | December 31, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

*shudder* Oh, that picture of leathery nightmare Donatella Versace. As Maria said in West Side Story - "Make it not be true!"

Posted by: jaybbub | December 31, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I still don't get that people think the Palins would make good neighbors. Down here in the lower 48, people with lotsa kids who love their snowmobiles and goin' huntin' (and who become grandparents before 50), usually don't live in the nicest neighborhoods in town. Furthermore, do people in suburbia realize that you have to hang a moose carcass to let the blood drain before you can butcher it? Wouldn't *that* make a fun backdrop for the Junior League garden party!

Posted by: northgs | December 31, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Mariah's life story? What, is this a three minute play? Is that just a wee bit narcissistic or what? She ought to GET a life first.

Bristol - selling pics. Now SHE is a celebrity? For what? Trailer trash is even taking her clan up a level. Why don't the Palins just go drink a gallon or so of KoolAid and spare the rest of us their compulsive need for publicity.

Blasting her illegitimate grandchild's face all over hell's half acre for a buck should stand pious Sarah well with the other evangelicals. Oh, yeah, dumbo - run in 2012.

The world just gets wackier...

Posted by: itsagreatday1 | December 31, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Hey, northgs, watch that "become grandparents before they're 50" stuff!

The Donatella Versace pic is simply NS.

Posted by: pras40 | December 31, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Look, I told you all not to look at the Donatella photo and you did anyway. The cost of the brain bleach is on you.

Bristol will not qualify as a "celebrity" until she releases new music, appears on TV or in the movies, and then has a lingeroops in public. I say let's avoid the Palin "news" here. (Please?)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 31, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Also, nothgs, be careful what you say about people who like to hunt not living in nice neighborhoods. And as far as letting the blood drain out, that's why we have backyards. Of course, it's even more fun when you have your own smokehouse in your backyard and the neighbors call the fire department whenever you start smoking something (we had to start giving the firefighters some sausage for their trouble of coming to check up on us).

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 31, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, Dorkus, you do your own barbecue and you sent me to County Line? Hmmpph.

But, yes, let's practice some of that tolerance that a certain party is always preaching. Except when it comes ot snarking on REAL celebrities.

Britney and Angelina would not be the most exposed celebs if they just kept their clothes on.

Posted by: epjd | December 31, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Mariah! Didn't she already have an autobiography called "Glitter" that nearly was her undoing? (Promises, promises.) That story is riddled with hyperbole.

Example A: "the singer has agreed to let her story be told on Broadway." Like we begged her, oh please! We'll call it "Vision of Me!" C'mon!

Example B: Her "eight octave range"? Who are we kidding? Four maybe. Still impressive, but she's no Yma Sumac (rest her soul).

Clearly the word "hubris" has two definitions: 1. Oprah. 2. Mariah.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 31, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

You are right ep, that was just wrong of me. Tell you what, I'm going to be making sausage tomorrow, I'll send you some to make up for it.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 31, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Mariah Carey's life, portrayed by bunnies in 30 seconds.

Joaquin Phoenix looks like Mel Gibson's younger brother, separated at birth and raised by Palins.

Posted by: memphis1 | December 31, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 31, 2008 8:57 AM

They said the same thing this am on NPR. It's not often that NPR and Celebritology runs the same stories!

Of course Oprah is going to host her own ball. Did we expect anything less? Wonder if she'll wear a tiara?

Anyone else think of the neighbor lady in Something About Mary when they looked at Donatella's bikini pics? PSA: remember this photo boys and girls the next time you consider going to the tanning beds or skipping the SPF at the beach.

Hey Angelina, listen to your Doctors! (spare us the weeks of denial regarding the paps shots of your baby bump and endless stories about how you glow). Doubt it will be a problem anyway, there are still plenty of 3rd world countries left from which to obtain the next child.

Posted by: hodie | December 31, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Comment of the Week: "I'd like to see Mariah Carey's life, portrayed by bunnies in 30 seconds."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 31, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I watched "Glitter". I still hate myself.

But I hate Mariah more.

Posted by: jaybbub | December 31, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Donatella Versace + bikini = NSFW

Jebus!

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 31, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 31, 2008 9:29 AM
-----------------------------------------
For once I am grateful for the workplace firewall.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 31, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Naming Jamie Lynn Spears as Hottest Mom is wrong several different ways.

And her brother is marrying her manager? Talk about a family tree that doesn't fork.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 31, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I watched "Glitter". I still hate myself.

But I hate Mariah more.

Posted by: jaybbub | December 31, 2008 11:09 AM

jaybub, that's why you're here, to do penance by performing excellent snark.

Happy New Year shout out to the Swayze.

Posted by: hodie | December 31, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Donatella and the stainless steel vibrator were a great combo, Liz. She looks like the only dame I know who could rock such a choice item.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 31, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

No More Bush.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 31, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Naming Jamie Lynn Spears as Hottest Mom is wrong several different ways.

Posted by: yellojkt | December 31, 2008 11:29 AM

Dane Cook 101
Don't let relatives manage your money/career.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 31, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Okay, sorry about the "under 50" comment. That was uncalled-for.

Dorkus, it's not just the hunting, it's the whole package. Where I'm from originally (upstate New York), lotsa kids + blaze orange hunting vests for the entire clan + snowmobiles did not = nice middle-class neighbors. (The middle class people I knew who hunted had backwoods cabins, and whatever kill they managed to bag was processed far from the eyes of the squeamish. The backwoods cabins also get the beer-drinking and male bonding out of the wife's line of sight.) And if you cook and eat what you hunt, wonderful, there's a purpose to the hunt -- it's not just killing for "sport."

I don't actually have a problem with the Palins per se. I just don't think their lifestyle would fit very well with that of the average American.

Posted by: northgs | December 31, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I imagine it was easy to track down Dane Cook's stolen millions, all you had to do was follow the droppings.

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 31, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps "eight-octave range" is the new euphemism for "shoes"?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 31, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

In the spirit of good will to all northgs, I (an under-50 grandma) accept your apology.

Gotta bunch to do before tonight so Happy 2009 to Liz Kelly and all the Lizards!

Posted by: pras40 | December 31, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

If Sarah Palin were my celebrity neighbour I would immediately build a pig farm upwind of her house.

79-year-old Dick Clark hasn't actually "rocked" in, what, 75 years?

Former Eurythmic Dave Stewart designs sex toy. Naturally: Sisters have been Doin' It for Themselves" since at least 1985.

"Donatella Versace + bikini = NSFW" but at least I know what I can stock that pig farm with.

If John Mayer had read Celebritology, he could have gone to that art show knowing Jessica Simpson was playing doctor with Romo.

Even B-way couldn't possible make anything connected with Mariah Carey "musical."

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 31, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Mariah Carey production will be off, off, Broadway and involve drag.

Posted by: hodie | December 31, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I am also grateful for the workplace firewall, as Donatella Versace is not safe for anything.

Do those Spears kids know how to do anything besides get pregnant and get married? That Spears gene pool definitely needs some chlorine.

Palins and Angelina, please. go. away.

Posted by: Californian11 | December 31, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Yipes! That's not Joaquin Phoenix, that's some crazy homeless guy masquerading as Joaquin right? RIGHT?

I haven't seen crazy eyes like that since that Andy Dick mugshot.

Posted by: wadejg | December 31, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

That Spears gene pool definitely needs some chlorine.

I vote for Californian's for quote of the week.

Posted by: hodie | December 31, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I know making fun of celebrities is what is done here, but do you guys know who the number one selling recording artist of all time is?
Mrs. Mariah Carey (Williams) She has sold more then the Beatles, more then Elvis, more then anyone!
So either the lizards have incredible taste in music that is better then the vast, vast majority of people in the U.S., or lizard society is very out of touch with main stream society.
I vote for incredible taste.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | December 31, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Iowa, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there. I went out to the HiveMind (Wikipedia) and found a few links:

I'm thinking that Ms. Mariah and her eight-octave range still fall short of the Beatles, Jacko, Elvis, The Eagles, la Celine, and the like.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 31, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that if the Bristol Palin's baby was a girl, then her name would have been Crystal Meth?

Byool, if you did build a pig farm upwind of the Palin household, do you think they would notice?

Dorkus, if you make your own sausage, then you're qualified to be a Congressman!

Last night, after hearing about Kevin Bacon, Ms Snatchquatch and I estimated that now several million people can claim only 2 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon. An unlucky couple of hundred thousand can claim 1 degree of sparation (1 degree = Bernie Madoff).

Finally, if I were Annie Lennox, as a rejoinder to Dave Stewart, I would commission a vibrator with the inscription, "Why?" And a ball gag, inscribed the lyrics "Why don't you ever learn to keep your big mouth shut?"

Happy New Year, Hosers!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 31, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

What's with the name "Tripp" anyway? A cruel reminder he was an accident, don'cha think??

Before the Madoff scandal, I can claim 3 degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon. How weird is that? (and if you count an accidental brushing with a celeb then only 1 degree of separation). Underlines that it is truly a small world.

Did you look at the pictures of Dave Stewart's toy?...Wouldn't those diamonds be er a bit uncomfortable?

Happy New Year everyone!! Liz, I hope you're here Friday! Wishing you all good snark for 2009!

Posted by: hodie | December 31, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

hodie

Heck, I figured they'd name the kid Trap.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 31, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Bonne année aux lézards!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 31, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | December 31, 2008 3:42 PM

----------------------------------------------
Dr. Hodie, the write-up for the vibrator claims that they are "black diamonds." Is this another instances of "Once you go black...."?

It's New Years Eve, aka, Amateur Drinkers' Night. Let's be careful out there, folks.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 31, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Happy New Year, Lizards.

No, we will not be serving Poop Doody's vodka in the Tiki Bar tonight.

Instead of dropping a ball at midnight, we will be dropping a member of the Manhattan Project.

Posted by: epjd | December 31, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | December 31, 2008 4:06 PM
--------------------------------------------
Fat Man or Little Boy?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 31, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | December 31, 2008 4:06 PM

ep, I nominate Poop Doody! (another good name of the day for him). He can even wear purple if he likes.

Sas, I missed that day in med school. I wouldn't know... ;-)

Posted by: hodie | December 31, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Sas and ep, Some of us just huddle for warmth in our lizard nests each Dec. 31. Assuming no wayward motorists or pilots slam into our home, and we don't play with pyrotechnics, it's a pretty safe plan. As a consolation prize, there WILL be a delicious homemade gourmet dinner (grocery store was really crowded this AM!).

ep, Please let us know which Manhattan Project member you decide on. Hope your experiment is successful.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 31, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I stoppped going out on on the town on New Years Eve a long time ago. Tonight I cook a Hunan dinner for Ms Snatchquatch, then we continue the ongoing projects of migrating files to the new workstation and setting up a new receiver and speakers to replace the ones that shall shortly join the Lindbergh baby.

Oh yes, good champagne at midnight, too.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 31, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Sas

Almost as romantic as Muskrat Love...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 31, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Almost as romantic as Muskrat Love...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 31, 2008 4:32 PM

-----------------------------------------------
Not until we download some porn.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 31, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Actually, one of my guilty pleasures is getting up fairly early on New Year's Day to fix Belgian Waffles with real maple syrup in plenty of time to watch the Rose Parade.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 31, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 31, 2008 4:34 PM
----------------------------------------

We're meeting friends for brunch and to get the keys to their house so we can pet sit for them while they're away.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 31, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

centrevillmom,

I guess I should never believe anything I hear on Entertainment tonight. On Monday they were talking about Mariah and said she had just became the best selling recording artist of all time, and even mentioned passing Elvis.
Thanks

Posted by: Iowahoosier | January 2, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

This is horrible! I love KB and I think he is one of the hardest working men in Hollywood. Check him and his bro Mike on YouTube:

Posted by: niringuyen | January 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse