Posted at 7:35 AM ET, 12/ 5/2008

Morning Mix: Madonna Just a Friend, Says A-Rod

By Liz Kelly
Friday

Headlines: Jennifer Aniston says her Angelina Jolie "uncool" comment was taken out of context... Brangelina donate $100K to children's charity... A-Rod says he and Madonna are "friends -- that's it" (more below in Rumor Mill)... Tom Cruise bought engagement ring for Katie Holmes after first date... Heather Locklear learned "hard lessons" this year... Note to Diddy -- don't use the word "anal" when trying to talk up your new cologne.

Crime Watch: L.A. police search for two "persons of interest" in shooting of Mark Ruffalo's brother... Hudson murders suspect has long rap sheet... Britney Spears's first ex-husband jailed for probation violation... Victim supports Roman Polanski's bid to have conviction dismissed.

Rumor Mill: A-Rod already straying from "friend" Madonna?... Did Nicole Kidman really give birth to Sunday Rose?... Amy Winehouse visited husband in hospital for "farewell bonk"... Nicole Ritchie pleased with Paris Hilton/Benji Madden split... Johnny Depp to play Dante in upcoming film... Heath Ledger's last apartment remains vacant... Regis Philbin backs car into police cruiser.

---

Thanks to everyone who turned out at last night's meet-and-greet. I'll try to post some pix later this afternoon. And congrats to our own MoCo Snarky for winning one of the evening's prizes -- a pink "crazy Britney" wig.

By Liz Kelly  | December 5, 2008; 7:35 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: It Came from... Canada
Next: About Face: Is Brad Bringing Back the 'Stache?

Comments

Tom Cruise bought engagement ring for Katie Holmes after first date... and chloroform, you know, "just in case."

"Anal"? Sounds like Diddy and McGraw get their colognes from the same vat at the ol' perfumery.

Looks like Mr. Alexander is just another marker on Britney Spears's Trail of Tears.

Given that Blake is back in the clink for failing a drug test, it's more likely that Amy visited him for a farewell bong, isn't it?

I think we need a picture of MoCo in that wig.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 5, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse visits husband for farewell bonk and then he subsequently fails a drug test? That's one amazing contact high.

After doing some quick research on the intertubes, a Barbie doll (pre-year 2000) in real life would be 5' 9" and have measurements of 36-18-33. Nicole Kidman is 5' 10" and has measurements of 34-23-36. Therefore my thinking is that Sunday Rose is actually Barbie's little sister Skipper.

Congrats MoCo. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I could not make it last night. Life interfered. I also won't be on much, I have a sorta job that takes me away from a computer all day. I am looking for another job because all work and no play makes ep cranky.

Of course Tiny Tom bought the engagement ring after the first "date." When someone is hired to be your wife, you don't have to worry about anything going wrong.

Polanski's victim is a much nicer person than I am. I would have long flown to France and petited his foie gras.

Posted by: epjd | December 5, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

*Congrats to MoCo Snarky. I hope you're already displaying the Britney wig in a place of honor in your home. Or wearing it to work.

*Jennifer Aniston, shut your mouth. Let your comments die. Vogue is a magazine, they want to sell copies. Stars saying stupid things sells copies. Don't blame a magazine for doing what it's supposed to do. I used to like her, now I'm just so sick of her.

*That Nicole Kidman story is outrageous. I've never heard these rumors before.

Posted by: pras40 | December 5, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Katie's first impression of Tom "He was so warm, and I thought, 'Wow,'" says the star. "I thought, 'You can be a superstar and a human being." -- He's human??! Looks like she had her doubts before meeting him too.

Diddy, proud graduate of The Idiot's School of Marketing.

Maybe Nicole really is a robot as we've always suspected. Kind of thought the Cruise divorce validated the fact she was actually human but now I'm not sure again.

Yeah, Heath Ledger's old place would creep me out too. They say he was so immersed and disturbed by his last role, that I can imagine his ghost coming back in Joker form. They could turn that place into a tourist attraction with overnights for those who dare. Wonder what the neighbors say?

Regis causes $2700 dollars in damage to the cruiser and he only gets a warning. What's up with that? Did he agree to introduce the officer to Kelly or something? Not that I'm sure that would help.

A farewell bonk in the hospital with Amy Winehouse. Can I just say Eeewww!

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Liz, "Regis Philbin backs car into police cruiser" belongs in "Crime Watch," or maybe in his own stupid criminals segment.

Regardless of forgiveness by the victim, or whether the b*tch (her mother) set him up, or his state of mind because of the Manson killings, Polanski was still an adult in a position of authority and she was still a child. He is too skeevy for words, other than perhaps, EW, EW, EW! No repatriation!

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 5, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Eww, Poof Doody really just needs to go away. "I Am King"?? Seriously?

Don't even know what to say about that whole Nicole thing. She's become all creepy and robotic and plastic, fer sher. But faking a pregnancy? Why?

And I'd just like to say that Farewell Bonk would make an excellent name for a band.

Posted by: jaybbub | December 5, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Heather's NEXT Lifetime project, "Hard Lessons" will be out in June...

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 5, 2008 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, not many Lizard posts yet this AM. Too much partying last night?

Tom Cruise bought engagement ring for Katie Holmes after first date.

That's such controlling behavior it should automatically disqualify any guy in a sane woman's eyes. Oh wait... What would Tom have done if Katie hadn't wanted a second date with him? Get a refund on the ring, presumably. Still, the whole relationship skeeves me out.

Did Nicole Kidman really give birth to Sunday Rose?

The linked blog reports rumors in Australia that Nicole's sister Antonia did surrogate duty while Nic wore a prosthetic baby-bump instead. But according to blogger Ted Casablanca, Antonia was sighted publicly this past May looking quite slim. Of course, conspiracy-theorists never let a pesky little thing like evidence get in the way of their paranoia. Then again, as Casablanca points out, a decade with controlling Tom wasn't exactly good for Nicole's credibility.

Britney Spears's first ex-husband jailed for probation violation.

Jason wimped out TWICE on a court-mandated morgue visit that was part of the agreed-to alcohol education program following his DUI arrest. Really mature, dude. Just like marrying Brit on a lark, then you crazy kids getting it annulled after two days (which, technically, doesn't make him her ex but rather her never-was).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 5, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Liz

Cousin John has an item that could be in "Crime Watch" about a British Santa getting sacked because he invited a Muslim woman to sit on his lap. Guess its OK because he's family. (John, not Santa. Though he may be too...)

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Heath Ledger's last apartment remains vacant.

Don't worry, Ledger's apartment will eventually rent. To wit: after a cross-country move, we found a great apartment in a high-rise in an ideal location, in retrospect almost too good to be true. Not till months later did the neighbor across the hall confide that the reason for the vacancy was that the previous tenant had been followed home and murdered at her doorstep by a deranged former coworker. Neighbor said she'd heard the struggle, but didn't realize what was going on so minded her own business. Afterwards, at least some of our neighbors apparently decided it was wiser to look out a bit for one another's safety; management also stepped up building security.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 5, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I'd say Ledger's place is off the market not so much because of the creepy factor (that's what redecorating is for), than for the price tag. Even in New York's SoHo, $26K a month is a lot, especially with the stock market more cracked-out and less predictable than Amy Winehouse these days.

Posted by: northgs | December 5, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Or as Tom Cruise called the ring, "a signing bonus."

How do you call such a blatantly commercial transaction romantic?

Posted by: yellojkt | December 5, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Friday love for The Swayze - I haz it! Y'all send yours out too. Yes, even you cynics. Keep kicking cancer's a$$, Patrick!

Posted by: jaybbub | December 5, 2008 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I am convinced Jennifer Aniston wants this thing to keep on going like the energizer bunny. Now the comments were taken out of context. Jeez, just shutup already.

Posted by: petalceleb | December 5, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree that the reason Heath Ledger's apt is not renting is due to the sky high rent but a haunting sounds more fun. Let's hold hands and do a seance.

Party details people! We out-of-towners want to hear all about it.

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

The party was fun -- I knew who Liz was right away (of course I felt very familiar with her but not vice versa). She and Kim are very cute in person. It was also great meeting MoCo Snarky.

Posted by: american_demeter | December 5, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Shout-out to the Swayze! Fight well.

I managed, somehow, to bork my old login (Bawlmer), so here's the new* improved** Bawlmer51!

You know, the coverage about Tom and Katie is a little unfair. True, Tom bought her an engagement ring after the first date, but Katie went out and found him a pair of ruby-studded platform shoes, which I understand is the traditional proposal gift for Scientologists of his rank and stature.

*contains 100% post-consumer recycled jokes
**improvements consist solely of more obscure Simpsons references and generalized nerdity

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 5, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Polanski - again, he was in his 40's and she was 13. This isn't a teenage romance gone wrong. This was exploitation of a very young girl - and if you read the report in yesterday's live chat, it included giving her drugs, getting her drunk, and involved anal sex as well as vaginal sex.

I don't really care what this 13-year-old victim (at the time of the crime) thinks - we should make sure there are no other 13-year-old victims. And an unrepetent crybaby who keeps saying that the justice system mistreated him so he HAD to flee - should be treated the same way as any other defendant who does the same thing. He can come back and be sentenced, and also be tried for the crime of being a fugitive, or he can come back and ask to withdraw his guilty plea and go forward with the trial.

We don't have a system where the victim gets to decide. I'm glad she's forgiven him - that's her standard. But our criminal justice system standard is that he is held accountable.

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 5, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

A-Rod don't like no gristle neither.

Your friend,

Curmudgeon

PS: I wish I could have been with you all at the meet-and-greet! Lizards always have more fun.

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 5, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey, someone gave a party and did not tell me? Gotta get out of the lab some more.

Anyway, I hope that Blake wore a full body condom a la Naked Gun.

And leave Regis alone, it is obvious that he is an Honors Graduate of the Gene Weingarten School of Driving!

Posted by: elias_howe | December 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I was there last night -- anyone know what was in the velvetiti or tini? Whatever it was, it was good! So was the second one...

Posted by: DLC1220 | December 5, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

My nominations for "It came from..."

1. Malta

2. Andorra

and I will throw in Liechtenstein as a bonus.

Posted by: elias_howe | December 5, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Amen to Amelia.

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm wth ep, reddragon and Amelia re: Polanski. There is no crime more vile than the sexual assault of a child. I don't care how famous he is, I don't care that she has forgiven him (bless her for it, though - I sure couldn't do the same), there were charges brought that need to be answered. And if Mr. Famous Director does hard time, maybe some other sleaze will think twice before hurting a kid.

Posted by: northgs | December 5, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, I think "Britney Spears's Trail of Tears" sounds like an ideal book title. And it rhymes! I must use "trail of tears" in a sentence today at work.

Tom Cruise shoulda just had the first date at Tiffany's and bought the ring right there and then, between "nice to meet you" and "here's a pre-nup."

Nicole Kidman, eh. She's too blonde and could use a lesson or two in warmth. Other than that, I don't really care. Leave her alone. (And Liz Kelly, if there is so little news that we have to resort to links to Ted Casablanca [?!?], I may have to read my reliable celeb news elsewhere. Ahem.)

Heath Ledger's last apartment remains vacant? I hear Paula Abdul's looking for a new place.

Congrats MoCo! Sounds like it was a great party.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 5, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 5, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, even sentencing Polanski to life in prison won't deter anyone else from sexaully assaulting another child. Criminals don't think that way. They don't go "whoa, he got busted big time, I better not do it." They jsut do it anyway because they want to. They honestly do not process consequences like non-criminals do.

Posted by: epjd | December 5, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Party details, please!
*How many folks were there?
*Were there more Celebritologists or Appetities?
*What was Liz wearing?
*What was MoCo wearing?
*What are you wearing right now?
etc.

Posted by: pras40 | December 5, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Aka...MoCoSnarky...weighing in with a full report from last night's soiree

1. LIZ KELLY and Kim O'Donnel are gorgeous. Their pictures simply do not do them justice.

2. The entire staff of Washingtonpost.com is funny, intelligent, irreverant and good lookin'.

3. The cocktails were tasty.

4. The fans are friendly, gregarious types. Mostly lurkers. Kim has her own cult (of which, I'm a proud member. Ask me about spatchcocking sometime...)

5. Shout out to the PR person and the gal who works at a telecom non-profit (there are such things!) that chatted with me last night.

Now on to important matters discussed last night...

1. I was deeply disturbed at winning the "prize" therefore, I will produce the most disturbing picture possible. I've enlisted my sons for this endeavor. If I can figure out how to e-mail it to Liz, you'll have it bright and early on Monday.

2. There is a better site than GOOP. http://www.tesh.com/
On it is John Tesh's radio show. Listen. Learn. Live better.

3. Now for your daily torture. Google "Christmas Shoes." Hit the YouTube link. Enjoy. Happy Holidays!

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Polanski deserves jail time. Lots of jail time. Should his sentence be vacated, I don't think so.

Perhaps some very smart person can explain to me exactly WHY the prosecutor and judge cut a plea deal with Polanski for a charge less than rape and time-served for the psychiatric evaluation, then reneged. Did they botch the case? Did they have a weak case? Why did they offer such an easy plea deal? Why did they go back on their words after Polanski had served his time as part of the plea deal?

As for people who deserve jail time for actions that stretch the bounds of forgiveness, I could give you a long list, starting with the leaders of the outgoing administration. However, they will never see an indictment, much less the inside of a jail. It takes a sick felon to date-rape a 13 year-old. It takes a statesman to start a war under false pretenses that kills tens of thousands. It takes a megalomaniac to have no regret for doing so.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 5, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the lawyers on their points about Roman Polanski.

But in slightly cheerier jurisprudence news, OJ gets sentenced today as it sounds like he got a 'Maximum Bob' judge, so hopefully he will spend the rest of his life in jail.

Also, Boy George was found guilty today as well.

Let's at least be thankful that there are still some celebrities out there that still commit stupid crimes.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Three (or even four) cheers for MoCo Snarky for the detailed report of last night's event.
BTW, I think GOOP is worse than Tesh's site, only because he doesn't fancy himself to be British.

ps...I am now asking you about spatchcocking. It sounds like using a spatula as a weapon, but perhaps not.

Posted by: pras40 | December 5, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sorry. I'm slow to post my snark because, well, I'm still cracking up over P Diddy Puffy Daddy.

"The cologne for men was inspired by Diddy's travels around the world and has notes of citrus, berry and tropical wood.'

I've been overseas a fair amount in my life. To me, the world smells like BO, cigarettes and exhaust.

"He dedicates the smell to men out there who 'take care of their families and treat and respect themselves like the Kings they are.'"

In other words, he dedicates this cologne to men who are nothing like him and are more like Tim McGraw.

If I were to design Eau du P Diddy Dum Diddy Puffy, it would be one part new car smell, two parts gunpowder, one part groupie flop sweat, a dash of cigar, and a dash of jewelery cleaner.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 12:29 PM

*****************************************

I bet it still smells better than McGraw.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

This just in: Madame Tussaud's releases latest Tina Turner figure http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/what-were-they-thinking/2501?nc

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 5, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

The Polanski case sets up my theory that you can get away with anything as long as you do it in California.

We need someone to set Roman Polanski up with some folks in Vegas who are bootlegging his movies...

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Do those Madden boys ever smile?

Posted by: Californian11 | December 5, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

ooh mdreader, fun new game designing scents for the stars. Great job on DooDoo Diddy's by the way!

Madonna's scent would be 99%Kaballah Water with a few drops of Rose oil b/c her s@*t smells like roses of course, and a touch of Musk because its skanky like she really is.

I was gonna design for Amy Winehouse but I expect you wouldn't appreciate it during the lunchhour.

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Party details, please!
*How many folks were there?
*Were there more Celebritologists or Appetities?
*What was Liz wearing?
*What was MoCo wearing?
*What are you wearing right now?
etc.
Posted by: pras40 | December 5, 2008 12:12 PM

--Oh gosh...25, 30...I'm as bad as the Park Service at that sort of thing.
--50-50 split.
--Boots and short skirt. Viva Weingarten!---Not the pink wig. As for the rest, why would I tell a sicko* like you?

*and I mean that in the nicest way!

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, is there no Friday List today?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

My Holiday Newsletter

"My son graduated from high school in 3 years and is taking what would have been his senior year to build no-odor cow pie huts for indigenous farmers in north Borneo. He also works with PETA to counsel dog owners whose pets struggle with chronic halitosis. Next fall, he starts his full-ride scholarship at Harvard studying pre-med/pre-law. He hopes to one day sue himself for malpractice.

My daughter is captain of her high school's cheerleading, debate and fencing teams. She donates all of her $1,000/hr part-time modeling income to the model camps she has started in the Patagonia region of Argentina where the women are beautiful but don't have the resources to build runways to practice their strut. Before making breakfast at the local homeless shelter, she runs her paper route, and then it's off to school where she's in charge of the morning announcement program. She was accepted to Stanford on scholarship following her sophomore year but received a medical deferral (the natural color of her teeth were too bright and had to be toned down).

Last year, my wife really leveraged her Playboy Bunny and Rhodes Scholar network to raise money for our community's Be Green, Not Mean campaign. In between tutoring professional athletes, she still enjoys fly fishing and selling search algorithms enhancements to Google. [We just got back from Sergey Brin's wedding on Richard Branson's private Necker Island. Go to our family's website www.WeAreBetterThanYou.org to see pics of me dancing with Oprah and Bill Clinton.]

As for me, I'm still running the same ol' $5B company I started in 2004, as well as doing Brad Pitt impersonations for the United Way ($1.2M raised this year so far). My wife and I started this new exercise program in May and we're both under 10% body fat. We make torrid and zesty love five nights a week . . . our flame is still white hot.

Well, that's it for now. Hope all of you can make our 25th wedding anniversary party. We look forward to flying all of you on our custom 737 to an exotic locale (it's a surprise!).

I'm sure your 2008 was much more fulfilling than ours."

WSJ Juggle Blog

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 5, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: american_demeter | December 5, 2008 10:59 AM
===
It was nice meeting you too! C-tology, contrary to what some might have said before we were all registered, has some of the friendliest and smartest lurkers around.

===

Posted by: DLC1220 | December 5, 2008 11:28 AM
===
The barkeep moved too fast for me to take notes. Kim has the recipe. Ask her on A Mighty Appetite. Perhaps she's already posted it.

I ordered the one with the little Andy Warhol swizzle stick (which I proceded to lose along with my washingtopost.com pen...grrr...) Andy kept poking me in the eye as I drank. Anyway, I believe that you can mix almost any clear spirit with a combination of grapefruit and cranberry juice and come out a winner.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Do those Madden boys ever smile?

Posted by: Californian11 | December 5, 2008 12:38 PM

****

Benji will, *now*.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 5, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Dang, sorry for missing the party of the year. Had to take care of hubby's aunt. She's a nun so I figured a servant of the Lord should come before appeltinis & gossip just in case the $cientologists are wrong & there really is a heaven.

And mdreader01, you need to add to your theory that you can get away with anything as long as you do it in California, & you're a celeb of any sort, from A List to Z List or less.

Posted by: wadejg | December 5, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg | December 5, 2008 12:59 PM
======
I had restricted it to just celebrities before the Rodney King beating.

But that was pre-OJ. Post OJ, celebs are no longer getting away with murder. Unless they're drunk behind the wheel of a car!

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey! Hey! I got three tickets in three months for speeding, and didn't get away with any of 'em (yes, I have since been working on my bad case of Leadfoot).

You can get away with anything as long as you are *rich* and/or *famous*. Guilty until proven wealthy.

Amen to the Polanski comments, BTW.

Posted by: Californian11 | December 5, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 12:42 PM
========
Winehouse Parfume pour Femmes Fatal:

2ccs vodka
2ccs gin
1/4 oz mouse urine
3ccs heroin
2ccs hairspray
1/8 oz tincture of nicotine

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Md: You are right. Most of the world doesn't smell like some citrus candle, despite what Poopy Daddy may say. I would add to your list of scents:
*Bad airline meals, usually featuring Velveeta-like substance with red peppers over rubbery pasta.
*Public bathrooms with...hair.
*Subway platform during "Bonenkai" week....aka "drink till you puke and totter onto subway tracks"
*Shirt of skeevy construction worker who just KNOWS you want his body...in fact, he'll follow you down the street to tell you.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 5, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Apparently, you get away with a lot in Vegas too. Armed robbery only gets you an actual time served sentence of 6-7 years.

Posted by: epjd | December 5, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"Perhaps some very smart person can explain to me exactly WHY the prosecutor and judge cut a plea deal with Polanski for a charge less than rape and time-served for the psychiatric evaluation, then reneged. Did they botch the case?"

Well, I'm not claiming to be a very smart person - but here's the defense atty's explanation:

NO - the judge did not cut a plea deal. The prosecutor did. The judge is not bound by nor is he a party to a plea agreement.

Prosecutors routinely cut plea deals - over 90% of criminal cases are guilty pleas, not jury trials.

Polanski was benefiting from sympathy for his murdered wife and Polanski's deal may also have been to spare the victim the pain of testifying in a jury trial - read her testimony from the grand jury posted in yesterday's live chat. Remember - this is behavior that Polanski ADMITTED to when he pled guilty. This isn't a he said/she said event - he admits he did this, he just doesn't want to pay the consequences.

I think Polanski deserves worse than OJ b/c OJ was acquitted of murder. The only thing he's being sentenced for today is the kidnapping/robbery event. Polanski's behavior seriously hurt a defenseless 13-year-old.

I'm not defending OJ. But I don't understand why anyone is supporting Polanski's request for a DISMISSAL of the charges - a very extreme and unusual result in any criminal case.

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 5, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

OJ just got about 10 years, according to my back of the envelope math. Most of the sentences on the 10 or so counts were concurrent, so the total jail time of upwards of 50 years is misleading. Based on what I could see and hear, the consecutive sentences total about 10 years.

Good.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 5, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

OJ got 15 years!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The AP is reporting that OJ was sentenced to "at least" 15 years. Given that he's already 61... (Of course, he'll be appealing).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 5, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

OJ got 15 years!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 1:50 PM

========
But that's 10 in celebrity jail years.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Yes, but he will be eligible for parole in about 5. The news is reporting actuall time served will be between 6-7 years.

Posted by: epjd | December 5, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | December 5, 2008 1:56 PM

*******************************************

Well, it's better than nothing, right?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 5, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Maybe OJ and Polanski could share a cell.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 5, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe OJ and Polanski could share a cell.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 5, 2008 2:04 PM

Chinatown.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 5, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Winehouse Parfume pour Femmes Fatal:

2ccs vodka
2ccs gin
1/4 oz mouse urine
3ccs heroin
2ccs hairspray
1/8 oz tincture of nicotine

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 1:16 PM

MoCo, be very very careful what you wish for! My boss is an anti-smoking advocate who has designed scratch-and-sniff cards to teach kids what they'll smell like if they smoke. The cards are used in conjunction with age-progression software that factors in tobacco use - gives the kids wrinkles and leathery skin. (The idea is, they don't process the "You Will DIE" message but being told they're ugly and they smell bad is worse than death to a tweener.) I was an early guinea pig for the "tobacco breath" and "nicotine-stained hands" scents, and trust me when I tell you that they're both enough to make you move to a different Metro car. "Nicotine-stained hands" in particular smelled like it might have some mouse-urine components in it.

Posted by: northgs | December 5, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"trust me when I tell you that they're both enough to make you move to a different Metro car. "Nicotine-stained hands" in particular smelled like it might have some mouse-urine components in it."

Ah, ha! So it was you on the Metro next to me this morning. Although, I'm fairly certain that I was getting nose of feline-urine mixed with rotting onions.

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 5, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

MStreet, that wasn't me. For starters, I live several states away from the District, having escaped a decade ago. Second of all, after the first whiff of the vials in my boss's lab, I won't get near that stuff! He had to create the early sample scratch-off cards under a fume hood, the stink was so bad. Maybe it was one of his NIH research collaborators?

Posted by: northgs | December 5, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Northgs,

I think that captures Amy to a t.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 5, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

From an AP story:

Judge Glass "imposed such a complex series of consecutive and concurrent sentences that even many attorneys watching the case were confused as to how much time Simpson got.

"Simpson could serve up to 33 years but could be eligible for parole after nine years, according to Elana Roberto, the judge's clerk."

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 5, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

My coworker is listening to 97.1 and that Christmas Shoes song is on. ACK!

I'm kicking myself for missing last night's HH, but it took me 2 hours to drive the 9.2 miles home as it was. The puppies were not happy with me when I finally arrived. Sounds like everyone had a great time and I can't wait to get home and look at the facebook pics.

On a current events note, if OJ had stuck with Leslie Nielson post-Naked Gun, he'd probably be in a much better - albeit stupider - place.

Posted by: eet7e | December 5, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The Olsen Twins perfume would be a simple scent (just like them) comprising mainly a fruity essence capturing their ketone breath from constant fasting, with just a touch of Penicillium sp. that brings to mind the mildew from the trunk in the attic where they find their clothes.

Posted by: hodie | December 5, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, that is some masterful aroma blending there. Well played.

eet7e, have they played a song called "Dear Mister Jesus"? I heard it just once- about three years ago, on the radio in the car- but I still remember it as one of the worst pieces of audio sap ever broadcast. I almost hit a bus, I was laughing so hard.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 5, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 5, 2008 1:20 PM

-------------------------------------------

Judge jury and executioner Amerlia5, you are indeed defending OJ. Or you are saying that being convicted of kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon is a lesser offense than sex with a minor.

Admit it: you have it in for Polanski but not for OJ.

Hypocrite.