Posted at 8:12 AM ET, 12/ 3/2008

Morning Mix: Patrick Swayze Says He's Still Winning Cancer Battle

By Liz Kelly

Evan Rachel Wood attends the 18th Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards at Museum of Finance in New York. (Getty Images)
Wednesday

Headlines: Despite tabloid reports, Patrick Swayze says he's winning his cancer battle... Going out of his way to ensure more paparazzi coverage, Brad Pitt says he "hates" the paparazzi, talks to Brangelina go-to gal Ann Curry (video)... Britney Spears's U.S. tour to kick off in March; comeback unimpressive to some... Mickey Rourke nominated for best-acting Spirit Award... Retrospective of Naomi Campbell photos opens in Miami... 10 celebs who allegedly play World of Warcraft.

Pix: Just how thick is Tom Cruise's soul sole... Britney Spears gets something off her chest -- her dress... Jessica Alba unveils post-baby bod in calendar... Eva Longoria lights up.

Crime Watch: Roman Polanski wants 1978 charges of sex with minor dismissed... Boy George won't give evidence in male escort case... Amy Winehouse's husband back in jail after failing drug test... O.J. Simpson may face 18-year sentence in armed robbery case... In cowboy hat and overalls, Gary Coleman pleads no contest to disorderly conduct.

Rumor Mill: Mary-Kate Olsen not pregnant, says rep... Ivana Trump wastes no time finding even younger boy toy... Mel Gibson passes on "Mad Max 4" script... Lindsay Lohan booted from Facebook.

Say What?
"I love religion. I remember whenever the book 'The Da Vinci Code' came out, the Discovery Channel did this three-night piece on it that I TiVoed and then watched eight times." -- Budding theologist Jessica Simpson

Sneak Peek: Two minutes from "Lost's" season premiere...

---

Tomorrow! Mighty Appetite blogger Kim O'Donnel and I will be on hand Thursday, Dec. 4 from 6 - 8 p.m. for an official meet-and-greet at D.C.'s M Bar at the Renaissance M St Hotel. We'll have special one-night only drinks and one attendee will go home with a special iPod shuffle. Come on out. We can't wait to meet you. (Facebookers: Details here.)

By Liz Kelly  | December 3, 2008; 8:12 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fashion Lesson No. 1 for Men: Do Not As Diddy Does
Next: And Now a Few Words from K-Fed

Comments

After those pictures, let's agree to start calling him Gary "Duke" Coleman from now on.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 3, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Is Gary Coleman a farmer now? Is he auditioning for a midget rodeo? Is he trying to make an insanity plea? But seriously, who dresses like that for court?

Well of course Macaulay Culkin plays WoW. What else is he going to do during his day, it's not like the guy has had any real work lately.

Tom, white shoes after Labor Day? (And couldn't you at least have gotten some that make you as tall as Katie, just asking.)

And to think I was getting worried about Britney Spears starting to make good decisions.

Ahh man, I was gonna Superpoke Lilo then throw a pie at her and invite her to join my ninja clan.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

That Jessica Simpson sure is fill-a-sof-icle.

What an amazing mind that woman has!

As ever,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 3, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Brad, maybe if you stopped holding press conferences and releasing press conferences on eveyrthing in your lives, the press would seem a little less intrusive in your lives.

Roman, you were represented by counsel and you pled guilty to raping a minor. There is no prosecutorial misconduct then.

Posted by: epjd | December 3, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Jessica, Jessica, Jessica, The Da Vinci Code is as religious as The Olive Garden is Italian.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

The BEST part of the Jessica Simpson comment is the fact that her creepy father is a (former?) minister!

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 3, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

To defend Brad Pitt a little, I saw the whole interview yesterday morning. He was on to promote his work in New Orleans (which is a really great cause - rebuilding houses in the Ninth Ward) and Ann Curry asked about his family, etc. AFTER noting that he didn't want to talk about it. She asked him about the paps and he responded that he hated them and had no respect for them. He also noted that there is a difference between people that take pics at events and those that scale walls or call our your kids names in order to get them to look at you.

Posted by: suzannepdc | December 3, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

YAY PATRICK!!!

Posted by: jaybbub | December 3, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeesh. I've got to start waiting to read this section after I've had my coffee. I read one of the items without the ellipse: "Mickey Rourke nominated for best-acting Spirit Award Retrospective of Naomi Campbell"

My first thought after misreading that? "Damn -- he must have had a great make-up job for that one."

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 3, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Patrick Swayze is terminal and has been since his diagnosis. The only question is when. So I'm not understanding the back and forth on this; he's not coming back, it spreads, it kills, that's it.

Posted by: ronjaboy | December 3, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Oh, boo hoo Polanski. So you want the charges dismissed because of prosecutorial misconduct!

Next time don't run away before you are sentenced.

Better yet, next time don't have sex with 13-year-old girls (whom you first got drunk).

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 3, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Gary Coleman blew his wardrobe budget hiring John R. Bolton to represent him. Unfortunately, his hearing was not before a UN tribunal.

Ivana Trump appears to be dating "Ivana Greencard."

and "After realising he would be returning to prison Fielder-Civil is reported to have rushed to his wife's hospital bedside to beg her to forgive him."

Why do I think that is a euphamism for scoring one, last hit before returning to prison?

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 3, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who long for LuvLinsey, take comfort that we now have "...love love love, Lindsay Dee" on MySpace.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 3, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Please, please, please don't breed Ms. Simpson.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 3, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

But even if Brad Pitt "was on to promote his work in New Orleans (which is a really great cause - rebuilding houses in the Ninth Ward)" it's still publicity he's ASKING for.

He wants to use his fame to push something that he believes in, but he wants people to stop asking him personal questions.

I'm guessing that the only reason people care about what he says is b/c he's famous and they want to know more about him.

Doesn't the Gates Foundation promote all kinds of great causes? Yet I've never seen an intereview/press conference drawing attention to how many great causes they are involved in.

Brad seems a bit hypocrtical to me.

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 3, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I got snappish with mr. jelo last night because he turned the tv to "40 Dumbest Celebrity Quotes". And here on this lovely Wednesday morning, I'm confronted with the dumbest quote of all. Bravo JSimp. Bravo.

Posted by: jelo | December 3, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow ronjaboy, you are quite the ray of hope, aren't you? Sheesh!

Posted by: Osteph | December 3, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Jessica, you sweet simple soul. I thought you couldn't possibly top the buffalo wings comment.

Apparently creepy dad didn't make her take bible study.

Posted by: petalceleb | December 3, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ronjaboy | December 3, 2008 10:10 AM

I'm not an expert, although pancreatic cancer has killed three people I know. My basic understanding is that today's chemotherapy can supress the growth of some tumors, thereby extending life for a year or two. In a few cases, indefinitely. The chemo gets better every year. If your tumor responds to it, your prognosis is much better than it used to be. Not everyone's tumor responds, however. My one friend lived two and a half years after diagnosis, taking chemo. My other friends died about 6-8 months after the diagnosis.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 3, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"Brad Pitt says he 'hates' the paparazzi" -- My man's clearly been spending too much time watching old 1997 videos of pal George Clooney attack the media covering Princess Diana's death. At least we can hope Brad doesn't call them "paparazzis" like GC did.

"Roman Polanski wants 1978 charges of sex with minor dismissed" -- and I imagine that said minor would like to forget the whole thing too. But thanks to you, I imagine she can't. Roman, if you'd done the time in the first place, by now you'd be DONE the TIME. Stop running already/

"Boy George won't give evidence in male escort case" -- instead he sang, "give me ti-ime toooo realiiiize my criiiime."

Dorkus, a ScarJo pic yesterday and no comment from you?! You OK?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 3, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Oh ronjaboy, we're ALL terminal. From the moment we're born.

Who knows - maybe The Swayze will hold on for a good long while. What's wrong with cheering him on?

Posted by: jaybbub | December 3, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Mary Kate Olsen is not pregnant. However, she is quickly morphing into Stevie Nicks.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 3, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, a ScarJo pic yesterday and no comment from you?! You OK?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 3, 2008 10:22 AM

*******************************************

Well, yesterday I was at a motivational conference (yeah, yeah I know, but the tickets were free and I got a backstage pass). I got to meet Zig Ziglar, Colin Powell, and Rudy Giuliani. I am still nursing the remainder of a hang over earned at the post conference happy hour.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I forgot one: "Retrospective of Naomi Campbell photos opens in Miami" -- and what a walk down memory lane. Let's open the album and take a look.

Amanda Brack! Her cheek really took a slapping! How long was she Naomi's assistant again? Who knew BlackBerries could inflict such a mark? . . . Rome; that Italian actress -- so they wore the same dress? Sheesh, Naomi really blew that one out of proportion didn't she? Ay!

Oh my! Was it really two years ago she threw that jewel-encrused cellphone at her housekeeper? Goodness, the red looks so vibrant on Kodak paper. Poor thing. . . . oh, there she is writing checks for her maid's medical bills. I wonder how Ana is now? Has she recovered fully yet?

And there's Naomi cleaning floors in New York. Such good skin; must be the Mop-N-Glo. . . . And at Heathrow whacking a British cop after she couldn't find her suitcase. Silly girl! . . . I love looking at old photos, don't you?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 3, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

In other news...

Brad Pitt also called George Clooney to say how much he hates George Clooney and the "Oceans" film series.

Clooney reportedly thanked Brad for his call and said he couldn't wait to see him when they start filming "Oceans Fourteen". Pitt gladly accepted the opportunity to reprise his role as Rusty Ryan.

During the brief phone conversation, he reportedly impregnated Angelina Jolie who was also on the phone making arrangements to adopt an entire Pop Warner football team from Nebraska.

Posted by: brutal | December 3, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

And hey now, stop hating on poor Gary Coleman. I'm sure he musta spilled something on his suit during breakfast and the only place he could find replacement clothes at that early hour before court was the Oshkosh section of Target. At least he's clean; I'm sure the courts have seen a whole lot worse.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | December 3, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Duke? Looks more like he's on his way to an audition to be Capt. Kangaroo's sidekick.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 3, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I also saw the whole Pitt interview yesterday and agree that he distinguished real reporters and photographers which he doesn't mind, from the jerks who tresspass and threaten. I agree wholeheartedly something should be done about that. And I disagree that Gates doesn't market himself as well, look at all the commercials he has done lately. Also he hires people to run his foundation for him although lately he has been a little more hands on. I actually went to med school with the guy who is running the medical arm of his philanthropic foundation. He was our class president, very smart guy.

Also (guess I'm in an arguing mood today), ronjaboy is right. In 18 yrs of practice, I have never seen a patient make much longer than a year past diagnosis of pancreatic cancer (my own mother included). I have a surgeon friend who has been around a lot longer than me who has seen only one pt actually beat it (caught very early as an incidental finding). mdreader, your friend who lived 2yrs was very fortunate. I suspect the Swayze doesn't want to spend what time he has left witnessing people mourn him before he is gone (another hell cancer puts you through). But I hope he is an exception and not the rule.

On a lighter, isn't Jessica's dinginess why we love her? Who can forget about the Chicken of the Sea argument?

Posted by: hodie | December 3, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Know what?

I hate to point this out, but it's an important principle of snarkology . . . when a celebrity publicist makes a grande effort to quash a tab report, it means the tab is correct.

Sorry, Swaze fans, he's toast.

Bluntly yours,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 3, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

You're right td, it was short-sighted of me to mock Gary Coleman, no matter how low his public stature becomes. I certainly don't want to be seen as small and emotionally stunted.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I meant on a lighter "note". Too much Nyquil....

Posted by: hodie | December 3, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

More rimshots for Dorkus.

Posted by: hodie | December 3, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"Boy George denies falsely imprisoning Audun Carlsen at his flat in April last year."

How is this false? Is it less serious than genuinely imprisoning someone? We've had doctors weigh in today, now it's time for the lawyers.

Posted by: TonyMostyn | December 3, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

At least he's clean; I'm sure the courts have seen a whole lot worse. -td_in_baltimore

That brought Phil Specter and the electric hairdo to mind. Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: petalceleb | December 3, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Jammies...

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 3, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

- Jacko's deteriorating nose

- OJ's sincerity

- Blake Fielder-Civil's urine sample

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 3, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Ivana looks like Joan Rivers.

And the article says that her Italian "entrepreneur" beau may be a "gay gigolo". I'm thinking that he's just a gigolo who doesn't quibble over the sex of his clients. I guess entrepreneur is the new euphemism for gold-digger.

Posted by: Questioner4 | December 3, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Another young buck for Ivana, indeed! One can never have too many young bucks.

New look for Gary Coleman. I still miss the train engineer days. Maybe next time he can dress as Bob the Builder.

Nice platform sneaks, Tom. Not at all noticable with those pegged jeans.

Posted by: hodie | December 3, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 10:58 AM

***

If Gary Coleman were to read this "apology," he'd still think you're looking down your nose at him. Unless all of your puns went right over his head.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Olive Garden isn't Italian? Man, I need a drink. And some garlic bread. Lots of it.

Posted by: rashibama | December 3, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Or, byoolin, do you think Gary Coleman would understimate Dorkus' comments, or just give them short shrift?

What does Liz Kelly think on this burning issue? Liz Kelly, Liz Kelly! (Getting to be sort of like Denny Crane, Denny Crane, I fear).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, it's a tall order for *anyone* to give Dorkus' remarks short shrift.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 3, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

underestimate, I meant to type. And I concur with you that Dorkus' remarks often soar to great heights.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Gary Coleman would do well to remember that "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man". Although anyone who gets into a drunken bowling alley fight probably does not have a noble spirit.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

First Simon Cowell being followed and then Brad. What's up with all these celebrities not wanting the celebrity they so badly want?

My theory on the Simon Cowell car thing, Jeremy Clarkson did it!

PS, Roman, just come back to L.A. and we can talk about it! I understand that the US and the UK are about to start a "prison in a foreign land for a semester" program. You can buddy up with Blake Fielder-Civil

Posted by: elias_howe | December 3, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"Although anyone who gets into a drunken bowling alley fight probably does not have a noble spirit."

HEY Dorkus, quit criticizing "The Dude!"

Posted by: elias_howe | December 3, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Local tie-in: Didn't Roman Polanski rape the daughter of DC's legendary "Ourisman Girl" after she went to LA to seek greater fame? Seems to me, Polanski should do a "Martha Stewart" and just serve a little time now so he can put this behind him (oh dear, that sounds so seamy, Liz Kelly).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

HEY Dorkus, quit criticizing "The Dude!"

Posted by: elias_howe | December 3, 2008 1:55 PM

*******************************************

No criticism for The Dude, however I don't think he would abide Gary Coleman's behavior, or clothing.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus,

Just depends on how well Gary could mix a White Russian!

Posted by: elias_howe | December 3, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Gary Coleman has a wife??!?! Is she the taco that he was spotted wrestling last year? Yippy-Ki-yay, L'il M0th3rf@#ker!

And for long time DC area residents, yes, it was the daughter of Ourisman Girl Susan Gailey with whom Roman Polanski had sex.

And, contrary to the throw-off comments of would-be prosecutors here, Roman Polanski did not plead guilty to rape. He pleaded guilty to having consensual sex with a minor. The prosecutor and judge reneged on their part of a plea bargain. Polanski spent about 6 weeks in a criminal psychiatric hospital for evaluation. According to the plea agreement, that was supposed to have been his sentence. A publicity-hungry judge reneged on those terms and was ready to sentence Polanski to some serious jail time. Polanski decided he wouldn't last long in jail and fled the country.

Whatever you think of Polanski's offense, the judge in the case exhibited outrageous behavior, almost as outrageous as Susan Gailey herself, who all but pimped her daughter out to Polanski in an effort to ingratiate herself with the Hollywood "in crowd."

Let's see if The Swayze does a re-make of Ghost after he takes that final dirt nap. We won't have too long to wait.

What is there to love about The Swayze, anyway?

Yes, I'm in a foul mood. Very...foul...mood.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 3, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the judge will let Roman borrow Plaxico's handgun?

Posted by: elias_howe | December 3, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Um, Sas, and I'm treading lightly here, but without The Swayze Red Dawn wouldn't have been as great, and he stole his scenes in Donnie Darko.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

A shout-out in memory of the great American folk-singer Odetta:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Sas, The Swayze also graced "To Wong Foo With Love, Julie Newmar" (even if he was no John Leguizamo, a/k/a Chi-Chi Rodriguez). No matter his prognosis, the treatment a pancreatic cancer patient undergoes is rough, and Patrick Swayze seems to be handling it with grace.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Oops, before the fact-checkers flog me, this correct title of the movie is, "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

(Patrick Swayze was nominated for a Golden Globe for his performance in the film.)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I really should not have watched that Lost clip, I'm just up to season three and only mildly confused. But now I have so many more questions.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Nosy, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar was a poor imitation of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Terence Stamp was a much better "queen".

Posted by: jakeepoo | December 3, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

jakepoo, I've yet to see "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert," though it sounds like a great recommendation from you. Thanks!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 3, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

To sasquatchbigfoot -

Sorry, but I'm a career defense atty and I'm still not crying for Polanski. What he wanted was special treatment for being a rich star, not fair treatment. If he'd been the average "get a 13-year-old drunk and have sex with her" he'd been in prison, not in some psych. eval ward. He got a sweet deal and wanted a better one - mostly b/c of leftover sympathy for his murdered wife.

Plus - if you think the girl deserved to be put at Polanski's disposal b/c of her MOTHER'S misconduct, you are wrong. That is called blaming the victim. I agree that perhaps the mother deserved to be prosecuted for child neglect and perhaps even the pimping aspect, but that does not change the age of consent. The 13 year old was too young to give meaningful consent - and too drunk.

Judges are neither parties to nor bound by a plea agreement between a prosecutor and a defense atty. The judge didn't reneg on anything b/c he never agreed to anything. Judges are never bound by plea agreements. And no matter how many powerful Hollywood apologists for child explotation there are, that still doesn't bind the judge to the agreement.

Polanski was getting off easy b/c of his celebrity - not being punished b/c of it.

Posted by: Amelia5 | December 3, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Job interviews so I am late back in.

So Dorkus you were part of the cause of the traffic jam on the Lady Bird Bridge yesterday. Hmmph.

Will be at the get together tomorrow night, but won't be online much during the day. I have a temp job that is not near a computer (I gotta get another temp job).

I don't care if it was rape or "non-consenaul sex with a minor" he pled guilty. Deal with it. A judge is not bound by an agreement between DA and defendant.

Posted by: epjd | December 3, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

And the lawyers are getting involved...

Is there a Lady Bird Bridge now? I honestly can't keep up with all the renaming of things here in town (it will always be Town Lake to me).

Yeah, the traffic was my fault. Did you happen to get stuck in some of that traffic ep?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Didn't they rename the Congress Avenue bridge after her?

No, I just saw the pictures on the front page of the Stateman's website. I am still here freezing my butt off in DC.

Posted by: epjd | December 3, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

They renamed Congress Ave the Ann W. Richards Congress Avenue Bridge, it's a bit wordy to me.

We are having some great weather here, 80 degrees and sunny.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 3, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm so late to this party today I'm sure everyone is gone, but just in case any other west coasters are still around, thought I'd pop in to say hi.

I really can't blame Brad Pitt for lashing out -- it wasn't too long ago that two paps were found on their property in France wearing camoflage gear and stocked up on camping equipment within long-lens range of the house and backyard area. It's despicable. Especially when their preferred target is the children.

The horde of paps, mostly middle aged men, that pursue Britney and Lilo and their ilk also make me sick--it's predatory and creepy.

Big difference between them and legitimate photogs at events and so forth.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 3, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse