Posted at 8:53 AM ET, 12/11/2008

Morning Mix: Tom Cruise Making Return Visit to 'Today'

By Liz Kelly

Mel Gibson arrives at the Global Green Sustainable Design awards on Wednesday in New York. (Getty Images)
Thursday

Headlines: Tom Cruise to again sit down with Matt Lauer on Monday's Today Show (last time)... Screen Actors Guild sets strike vote for early January... Nekkid Jennifer Aniston takes her Angelina Jolie comment tour to GQ magazine; Brad Pitt admits he fell in love with Jolie on "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" set... Toni Braxton had benign breast tumor removed last month... Madonna an "offense to god," says Chilean priest... Michael Jackson memorabilia auction includes glittery glove, gates to Neverland... Jerry Lewis to receive humanitarian award at Oscars... Ricky Martin shows off four-month-old twins... Taylor Hanson and wife welcome fourth band member child... Josh Hartnett wins damages from British tabloid.

Pix: Nicole Kidman steps out an outfit that would, in fact, accommodate a burgeoning belly (though none is evident here).

Crime Watch: Suspect in death of Mark Ruffalo's brother cleared, says attorney.

Rumor Mill: No bidders for first pix of Bronx Mowgli Wentz?... Madonna and Guy Ritchie still bickering over custody of children... Gwyneth Paltrow struggling to save marriage?... "Jackass's" Steve-O headed to "Dancing With the Stars?"... Tori Spelling in talks to guest star on new "90210"... Helen Mirren may design line of clothes for older women... Rep blames Rachel Zoe's further emaciation on stomach flu.

Good Read
"Being introduced to Clint Eastwood is something like seeing a California redwood for the first time." (NYT, Dec. 10)

Chat Day! Join me today at 2 p.m. ET for the last Celebritology Live discussion of the year.

By Liz Kelly  | December 11, 2008; 8:53 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celeb Politik: Senator Drescher?
Next: Celeb Psychology 101: Just What the Doctor Ordered

Comments

"Madonna an "offense to god," says Chilean priest."

My nomination for Comment of the Week!

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I think that Matt Lauer should seat Tom Cruise on a commode for the interview. That way, if Tom gets rambunctious, Matt can tell him to "go upstairs."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Nice tie-in to Tuesday's Weingarten chat, Sas.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | December 11, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

So Madonna's actions offend God, eh, Cardinal Jorge Medina? And I suppose your late friend, Augusto Pinochet, would be on the fast track to sainthood if you had your way, eh?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Liz. I wonder if Tom Cruise will try to totally bamboozle Matt Lauer with a treatise on long division.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Tori Spelling in talks to guest star on new "90210"...

because this show didn't suck enough already???

No bidders for first pix of Bronx Mowgli Wentz?...

I'll publish them if they pay me $1 million and promise to go away forever. And please take Daddy and Jessica too.

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

OK it's too early for me today...

WTF is up with that picture of Mel Gibson??? If this is what his sobriety looks like, I'm gonna open the Tiki Bar early today and start pouring! Someone call Mel and have him stop by.

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 10:03 AM
-------------------------------------------
Make Mel shave that $h|t off his face before you let him into the Tiki Bar.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Chilean Priest says Madonna an offense to God.
Now we know why ARod is interested in Madonna. Since his offense always disappears during the MLB post season, he hopes some of her offensive behavior might rub off on him.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | December 11, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Mel, you missed a few spots.

Ricky got breast implants? I know he's "livin la vida loca" but jeez...

Posted by: Zamora1 | December 11, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Thank you Liz for the daily update on the Jen-Brad-Angelina triangle. It's just not a Morning Mix without it.

Rachel Zoe must have had the worst flu ever if she looks that thin afterwards.

Gwynnie, if you stop begging for Chris to come out of his safe room, maybe he will stay married to you. And please stay married because the thought of you and Madonna both going around as divorcees together is just Rachel Zoe flu.

Posted by: epjd | December 11, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Oh for the love of cats, she's wearing a *coat*.

Posted by: VaLGaL | December 11, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

" Brad Pitt admits he fell in love with Jolie on "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" set..."

Is "fell in love" code for boinking?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 11, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know, Nicole's hand on her tummy was a nice touch to give the paps something to talk about. As for the dress in the other pictures, does she really want everybody to know what kind of panties she wears?

Everybody else stole my thunder, but I will still note that nothing says "I'm batsh*t crazy" better than that picture of Mel Gibson.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 11, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I can't help it. I think Ricky Martin looks and sounds like a truly happy, devoted dad and I bet he's great with those babies. You go, Ricky!

Posted by: jaybbub | December 11, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Those Wentz-Simpson people are c-r-e-e-e-e-p-y. Together the two of them don't even crest 6 feet in height. What are they, Hummels?

Posted by: jaybbub | December 11, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 10:03 AM
-------------------------------------------
Make Mel shave that $h|t off his face before you let him into the Tiki Bar.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 10:08 AM
-------------------------------------------
Sas, are you asking me to give someone with a psychotic look in their eyes a sharp object??? Do you think I'm Jack Kevorkian??? I don't wanna have to hide the body and leaving them where they fall always seems to be a real buzzkill!

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

For a minute there I thought I had slept past Christmas and it was St Paddy's day. The background sets Mel off as a deranged leprecaun.

Rachel Zoe, it doesn't count as the flu when you stick your finger down your throat. You are not healthy if you weigh only 89lbs. Someone get that girl a sandwhich.

Posted by: hodie | December 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaybbub | December 11, 2008 10:35 AM
-------------------------------------------
Isn't that how this whole thing got started??? Oh wait...

My bad, you said Hummel, not hummer...

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaybbub | December 11, 2008 10:34 AM

How do you know what kind of dad Ricky is?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 11, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Old Mel looks like he's auditioning for the Cardinal Ximenez role in a "Spanish Inquisition" remake. I hope he realizes it's a parody.

Posted by: northgs | December 11, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Re: Tom Cruise & Matt Lauer together in one place - you ever notice how there's never a 40-gallon drum, an arc welder to seal the lid, some chains and some concrete blocks around when you need 'em?

Nekkid Jennifer Aniston, you say? Hmmmm, nope, still don't give a rat's...

Yo, Cardinal Medina, [fifteen-minute-long screed redacted].

Here's hoping whomever presents that award to Jerry Lewis is a well-known and particularly flamboyant homosexual who knows the old joke that starts with "What has a million legs and can't walk?"

Actually, Liz Kelly, the photo department at Sears made an offer to Pete and Ashley for pix of Bronx Mowgli - they can get the 8x10, 2 5x7s and a dozen wallet size for $24.99.

Madonna and Guy Ritchie still bickering over custody of children... and will be doing so until sometime after David gets his second Ph.D.

Gwyneth Paltrow struggling to save marriage - of course, she's mired in GOOP.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 11, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Stop the presses...

I just read the Jennifer Anistin article and it says she's working on a new film called "Pumas". She described it as a "Wedding Crashers"-type film with the main characters being "aspiring cougars"...

Really??? I need another drink! Who would have figured...

Jennifer Aniston starring in a biopic at 39...

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 10:36 AM

-------------------------------------------
You as Jack Kvorkian? Nah! I think you're more Hunter S. Thompsonesque. I mean that as a compliment.

Brutal, if you want to make things tidy, let in Mel as he is, get him good and drunk, then show him fake genalogy papers that prove Mel is Jewish.

He'll go out back and off himself.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
I nominate that guy Brian Harper. Isn't he the PM's brother?
Budda-Byoolin
Budda-Bling

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Mel 'Crazy Eyes' Gibson would have been a great name for a leather helmeted football player of the '20s.

Madonna an "offense to god," says Chilean priest. Madonna an "offense to people, pets, livestock, zoo animals, reptiles, insects and other assorted flora and fauna," says jes...

Posted by: jes11 | December 11, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I take it that Dame Helen Mirren herself will be the bag that goes with her designer dress.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 11:03 AM

Is Mel circumsized?

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 11, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

He'll go out back and off himself.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 11, 2008 11:03 AM
-------------------------------------------
Sasquatch is wise...

I'm going out back to install some cameras. This could be PPV gold!

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

THUMP- and the single white sequined glove goes to the to our friend from Tokyo in the red leather jacket and white spats. Next up for auction, a home hyperbaric chamber for one, gently used, with custom fitted oxygen mask for those with sensitive facial appendages. Who is our first bidder???

Posted by: hodie | December 11, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | December 11, 2008 11:24 AM
-------------------------------------------
I'm in for 27 cents...

Posted by: brutal | December 11, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Macaulay Culkin was going to bid on the hyperbaric chamber until he saw the "No Smoking" sign on it.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 11, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

LTL unlurks for two things -

One - is it just me or is it really odd the way GQ has Jennifer's hands in her picture... I get that they have to cover up (and I quote Chandler Bing) 'the nippular area' but couldn't they have done it in a way that looks a little less like someone doing the Bunny Hop?

Two - as much as I think Kanye West has an ego the size of Oprah (her physical self not her ego - that's just impossible to measure), I was listening to one of his songs this morning and got to thinking about other songs of his, guy is a talented musician, no question...

Posted by: LTL1 | December 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Maybe she's trying to be a wasckally wabbit instead of a cougar.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

What.

Have the koo-koo nuts sent Mr Tom out to try and prove that he's normal?

You're crusin' up the wrong tree, Mr Tom, it's too late.

Yours,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

byoolin says, "Here's hoping whomever presents that award to Jerry Lewis is a well-known and particularly flamboyant homosexual who knows the old joke that starts with 'What has a million legs and can't walk?'"

I could totally see John Waters and Harvey Fierstein presenting that award to Jerry Lewis. :D

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 11, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

OMG, that picture of Rachel Zoe is alarming. She is starving to death.

Does anyone give a rat's a** when Brangelina "fell in love"? Jen, Brad, and Angelina, please shuddup already!

I don't know about a burgeoning belly, but Nicole's lips sure have burgeoned.

Posted by: Californian11 | December 11, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Give CentrevilleMom a job in Central Casting!

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 11, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I mentioned Macaulay Culkin earlier - TMZ is reporting that his 29-year-old sister Dakota was struck by a car on Tuesday and died in hospital yesterday.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Wow, byoo--tough week for celebrity siblings. First Mark, now Macaulay.

Rachel Zoe can deny all she wants, but she is definitely anorexic -- and I include not eating at all in a broader definition. That picture is revolting--she looks like a scary bobble head doll. On the bright side, she looks so awful that she's hardly inspiring emulation. And she has a lot of nerve mentioning Audrey Hepburn, whose slight frame and figure was a direct result of near starvation as a child during world war 2, and who subsequently involved herself in international humanitarian efforts to fight hunger. The divine Miss Hepburn NEVER looked gaunt and sickly in her prime.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 11, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer Aniston GQ Photos and GQ video!
must see!

Posted by: wanderfus | December 11, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Need consensus from the guys: Jennifer Aniston nude, yes, but sexy? I just don't see it. She's fairly pretty and has a nice figure, but there doesn't seem to be any heat. What say you boys?

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 11, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd say that assessment's about right, sc.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Zoe says, "I don't have the power to cause anorexia any more than I have the power to cause obesity or addiction. . . . "

Well, Rachel, that may be, but you certainly have caused my addiction to eye bleach this week.

Posted by: 7900rmc | December 11, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Jennifer Aniston looks like she's she's about to do that Oliver Hardy tie flip.

Some nekkid girls can pull off the wide smile (Bettie Page, RIP) but Jennifer looks girlishly silly with one.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 12, 2008 12:55 AM | Report abuse

As youse know, I am no Madge fan. But she is no more an "offense to God" than any other ho.

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 12, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

sorcererscat,

To me Jen nude or any other way is not particularly sexy. Pretty, yes. Sexy, no.

Posted by: reddragon1 | December 12, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse