Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 12/ 9/2008

Style-o-Metrics: Rate Cate

By Liz Kelly

Even fashion royals are allowed an off day every now and then, nay? Which is why we won't be too severe with Cate Blanchett for wearing a papier mache body cast to the L.A. premiere of her new movie, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

(Reuters)

I generally get all misty eyed and euphoric when I see Cate walk a red carpet. She's has a proven history of (mostly) unerring, impeccable taste that has -- thus far -- kept her in the rarified ranks of the gracefully fashion forward, whatever those nit-picky Fug girls may say.

But this dress, well -- I'm undecided. And only because it is on Cate, who normally isn't insensitive enough to put us -- her fashion faithful -- in the position of having to defend a questionable ensemble. I'm liking the color, the sparkle, the nude shoes, the understated maquillage, even the vaguely Spanx-ish pencil skirt bottom layer. But somehow the dominant impression is at once reminiscent of an upside down goblet or the Liberty Bell or some focacta Pottery Barn tchotchke suggested for cluttering up formerly pristine mantels.

---

In other fashion news: Will someone please feed Rachel Zoe?

By Liz Kelly  | December 9, 2008; 10:45 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Oprah Says She's Fallen Off the (Health) Wagon
Next: Morning Mix: Ruffalo's Brother Victim of Russian Roulette, Says Suspect

Comments

It looks like she broke her hip because she has a huge ACE bandage wraped all around her lower half.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | December 9, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

First glance: awful

But I do find the more I consider it the more I actually like it. To me the piece that really isn't working is the scoop neck with the spanx material covering her clevage and the slightly popped collar.

Posted by: sjcpeach | December 9, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Or she just had whatever that is underneath on by itself, realized it looked stupid and didn't have time to completely change so she compounded the error by putting a muu muu on over it.

Or, she needs to b*tch-slap her (former) stylist. The outfit is hideous, and the color scheme is not particularly flattering, either.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 9, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Is she trying to bring back the hoop skirt?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 9, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Scrolling down the picture, I didn't get the whole picture at once. I was thinking, "this isn't so bad." But then the dress just stops and there's the slip thingy hanging out from the bottom.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the dress had been floor length, but it would've needed some freedom to swing and flounce at the bottom. It looks so rigid, I wonder...if it was floor length, would the dress hold her up if Cate were to pick her feet up off the floor.

Posted by: eet7e | December 9, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

you kind of wonder if she bent over if it would be like snapping a gumby or a rubber band and she would go flying off into a wall or something.

Posted by: dablues1 | December 9, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

There should have been a warning on that Rachel Zoe link. The picture of her is really scary. I may be haunted by her protruding rib cage all day.

Posted by: SweetieJ | December 9, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Bubble dress gone wrong? I see where she was going with it. I think it would look better if the underdress didn't look so much like bandages. Perhaps a color to contrast her skin instead of blend in. I've definitely seen worse. Looks hard to walk in.

Rachel Zoe needs IV nutrition stat. It's really something when Nicole Ritchie dubs you "Raisin face".

Posted by: hodie | December 9, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It does look like a 60's lampshade. I wonder if it was a good idea that went wrong? I could see Cate being too polite to tell the designer she hated it.
Rachel Zoe looks awful. I can't believe she is 37..she looks about 60.

Posted by: possum_pouch | December 9, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

This is a classic cry for help:

"Truthfully, I've never seen myself as being too thin," she added. "Sometimes I'll look at photos and be like, 'Oh, that's not a good look. 'But generally speaking, I'm not too thin."

Anorexics NEVER SEE THEMSELVES AS TOO THIN.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 9, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Um...I'd say Cate definitely swung and missed on this pitch.
Looking through the Blanchett Fugly archive I'd say her record is about .500 so in baseball, she's doing pretty well. Fashion-wise, not so good.

Posted by: pras40 | December 9, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Cate's Mummy Spanx may be just the thing Oprah needs to fit into the inauguration dress she has on her "vision board."

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 9, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The only things not objectionable about this ensemble are the shoes, but even those kind of resemble fancy house slippers.

Posted by: spartan123 | December 9, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Lizard feet! Yikes!

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 9, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

One should never wear a full slip with a low cut dress that also is not even knee length. It looks like you forgot how to dress yourself.

Posted by: epjd | December 9, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Shanno1561 | December 9, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to feed Rachel Zoe, but how exactly do you prepare Dalmatian puppies?

Posted by: MStreet1 | December 9, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Cate's legs and feet leave a lot to be desired.

'shudddderrrrrrr'

As ever,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 9, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the pattern on her dress has me wondering if I am colour blind and maybe there's a giant '6' stippled in there somewhere.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 9, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

In the name of Andre Leon Talley. Kate what are you wearing? Without seeing the outfit on the poster behind her, I can say without a doubt she should have worn that instead.

Posted by: petalceleb | December 9, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Connecting the dots between two of today's stories: maybe Oprah should invite Rachel Zoe over for a couple of cheeseburgers?

Posted by: newengland1 | December 9, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Yucky dress AND yucky color for our usually gorgeous Cate. The hair and makeup get points but beige does absolutely nothing for her skin tone (I steer clear of that color too and I'm much darker). She has beautiful skin and should stick to reds and greens and some browns but never beige.

Posted by: plamar1031 | December 9, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Cate's legs and feet leave a lot to be desired.
'shudddderrrrrrr'

As ever,
Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | December 9, 2008 2:45 PM

====
Geez Louise, mudge. By that yardstick, I should never be seen in public without long pants or LiLo leggings.

Posted by: mdreader01 | December 9, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, if you are an average height person and your head starts to look like a blow pop on the stick that is your neck you are too thin.

Posted by: jes11 | December 9, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

That Rachel Zoe person (I missed the memo -- who is she?) is scary. I've seen photos of better nourished concentration camp victims.

-The Poster Formerly Known as Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | December 9, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Definitely not one of her better fashion moments. It's like she didn't know how to wear the dress (too short and too deep neckline) so pulled on her Spanx body shaper and then put on the dress and hoped that since everything was beige, it would blend in with her skin.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | December 9, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Omar the Tent Maker made the bottom half, Twiggy the top half.

The only way to make this work would be on a hybrid. One of the Olsen twins from the waist up, Oprah from the waist down.

Posted by: elias_howe | December 9, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Attention! Attention! Howard Hughes disproved the theorem, you can never be too rich or too thin!

Posted by: elias_howe | December 9, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

**********Welcome to------www.Mixedloving.com------the first, largest and most-trusted interracial dating site in the world.
This is the best place for looking for interracial dating relationship or marriage. We bring together interracial-dating minded singles from all races, ethnicities and cultures, whether they are in your own neighborhood or around the world.

Posted by: rosespears00 | December 10, 2008 3:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rosespears00 | December 10, 2008 3:36 AM

Sounds like a good place for byoolin; he doesn't get "enough" at home.

Posted by: jezebel3 | December 10, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse