Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 01/ 7/2009

Angie vs. Jen: Brad Pitt Weighs In. Again.

By Liz Kelly

Bravo Brad Pitt. (AP)

A scant week into the new year and my resolution to leave behind the Angelina Jolie vs. Jennifer Aniston debate is already toast.

This time it is Brad Pitt stirring up the now fully charred embers of controversy. In February's W magazine, Pitt reportedly does his level best to keep this four-year-old wound from healing.

Ripped from the New York Post's Page Six:

Brad Pitt wants to set one thing straight regarding his wife Angelina Jolie: She's not a homewrecker. "What people don't understand is that we filmed ['Mr. & Mrs. Smith'] for a year. We were still filming after Jen [Aniston] and I split up," he tells W in the annual "A-List" February issue. "Even then it doesn't mean that there was some kind of dastardly affair. There wasn't. I'm very proud of the way that it was handled. It was respectful." (Full Item)

Are we to believe that Pitt himself -- who mostly remains mum about this topic -- is really still concerned with defending Angie's honor? Or is he milking a perennial fan fave feud? Pitt and Aniston both opened movies on Christmas day. And while Aniston's "Marley & Me" remains at the top of the box office returns, Pitt's "Curious Case of Benjamin Button" embarrassingly ceded its second place to Adam Sandler's "Bedtime Stories" this weekend.

Pitt last poked this bees' nest in September 2007, when he said he "stifled" his attraction to Jolie while still married to Aniston. Pitt's movie, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" was released a month later.

Dismissed as coincidence.

By Liz Kelly  | January 7, 2009; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Brangelina, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Another Baby Girl for Affleck and Garner
Next: Morning Mix: Lisa Rinna's Plastic Surgery Regrets; Paltrow Defends GOOP

Comments

Man, I am so sick of the whole Saint Angelina vs Good Girl Jen thing that I almost didn't apply for a job yesterday. Angelina is involved with a nonprofit in the area and I saw her name. I almost gagged at the idea of having to deal with her. But, hey, if I get the job, I can ask her to really help kids by not collecting them like Hummel Figures.

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

This is turning into a classic "Veronica" vs. "Betty" conundrum. This would make Brad Pitt "Reggie," although I think we can all be pretty confident that deep down, he's really a "Jughead."

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 7, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Forget about my previous comment. What this is really turning into is a classic "Ginger" vs. "Mary Ann." While Brad Pitt probably thinks he's "The Professor" (which, we all know, would make him gay) he is probably more like "Gilligan."

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 7, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh come on, we are not sick of it or we wouldn't talk about it. We're really sitting back watching with a big tub of popcorn because it's fun to watch a cat fight.

I think it is silly and idiotic for them to continue talking about it, but if they want us to be privy to their "secrets" then keep 'em coming. Otherwise, what would we have to snark about other than Amy Winehouse's boobs?

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

You know, the more I hear from these three on this topic, the less I like any of them.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 7, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Can't we just have Congress appoint a special investigator and settle the debate once and for all?

I mean, who wouldn't love to read on page 437 of the Homewrecker Report, "Mr. Pitt and Ms. Jolie engaged in light petting during the shooting of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, however, Roger Clemens denies that any injection ever took place."

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 7, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

My solution to the problem is simple and cathartic, jello wrestling. We let Jen and Angelina just go at it. The winner can never be asked about the love triangle ever again. The loser has to take Brad home, and is never allowed to speak about the relationship ever.

We could sell tickets and put it on Pay-Per-View and make a ton of money.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

mdreader gives me an idea of how this tiresome story could have some new life injected into it. Let's make a Gilligan's Island movie with. Brad as Gilligan, Angie as Maryann, Jen as Ginger.

And cast Billy Bob Thornton as the Professor, John Mayer as Thurston Howell III, Gwyneth Paltrow as Lovey and (what the hey) Jonathan Winters as the Skipper.

You can have a script if you want, but I'm thinking just provide lots of booze on set and film whatever happens.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

It's also a winning solution for the public because regardless of who wins the match, we never get to hear about the triangle ever again. But, they will never agree to it because 1) the loser gets Brad and 2) they would have to shut up. No one in this mess is capable of saying "I am not answering that question" and meaning it.

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Jen is SO not Ginger! She has to be MaryAnn. Angie is Ginger. And I've always wondered why the Skipper called Gilligan "Little Buddy." I'm thinking there was something to that relationship that never made it onto the screen.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 7, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

AND this will all come out in Angie's confirmation hearing to be Ambassador to Ghana.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 7, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

AHA! Just as I suspected! Brangelina really, really want to get married, but are trying not to have to eat their own words:

"Brad Pitt wants to set one thing straight regarding his wife Angelina Jolie:"

Since when did she become his wife?????

Of course, I can't wait to hear Jenn's opinion of all this! It is so amazingly interesting! What about Maddox? When does he first remember meeting Brad, and what was his impression?? Did he think "daddy-material"? So many questions! Too bad the main players are so reluctant to share details of their love story with the public.

Posted by: Amelia5 | January 7, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Reddragon, you're right. I inadvertently transposed Maryann & Ginger there. The way I had it would have been the second-worst casting decision ever (the worst, of course, being the one that put Mickey Gubitosi in "Betty Smith, Internet-Deprived Shut-In").

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan Winters as Skipper? How about George Clooney instead. (Just to keep it a little bit relavant). We can get the paparrazi to be extras and dress them as the inevitable head-hunters.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Angie has honor?

Excuse me Brad, but I think your little friend's reputation as a homewrecker was firmly cemented when she married Billy Bob Thornton while he was living with/engaged to Laura Dern. BBT is fully to blame too, of course, but still.

There is also quite a bit of dirt that she boinked Colin Farrell while filming a movie with him while he was living with some woman.

All that said, criminey Brad, SHUDDUP.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 7, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Page Six thinks Angie is Brad's "wife"? Ahem. Since when?

Posted by: Californian11 | January 7, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

hodie
Jonathan Winters as Skipper? How about George Clooney instead.

Any day I get to see Jonathan Winters on TV is a good day. The man's a genius.

Trivia question, but no peeking on Imdb: who played Winters' daughter on the series "Davis Rules"? Hint: she was just mentioned on yesterday's Celebritology blog.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

We need Jonathan Winters as Skipper, for several reasons:

(a) The original Skipper was a man of a certain heft (i.e., portly/rotund/fat). Not only could I not think of anyone Skipper-like that any of the other six had ever been linked with, it's probably reasonable to assume none of them would ever consider a physical encounter with such a man.

(b) Given (a), one must select the most Skipper-like Skipper one can find. Philip Seymour Hoffman? Too highbrow. Paul Giamatti? Mouth-breather. Drew Carey? Too busy testing the P-I-R models on spaying v. neutering. Jim Belushi or Kevin James? Get the f*&% out of my sight.

(c) Given (b), Johnathan Winters is the obvious choice. (Also, what Nosy said.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree is is the most "Skipper-like" but not relavant to the rest of the cast. You are right, they probably don't know anyone with girth who would qualify. But I'm concerned, isn't Winters too old? Can't we just force feed Clooney. I can really picture him bashing Pitt on the head with his hat.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

*yawwwwwn*

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 7, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

oops part of my post was deleted? Should say "Winters, I agree is the most Skipperlike".....

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Clooney put on weight for "Syriana"?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm so excited to know the Answer to Nosy's trivia question: Bonny Hunt played Winters' daughter. I was just thinking about how much I liked that show the other day...

Posted by: rlb16 | January 7, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Brando could play the Skipper AND the rest of the parts.....sigh.

Anniston will soon be fugly enough to play "Lovey".... she already has the shallow thing down pat.

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 7, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

rlb16, I think you're aces!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I only voted to get to the bottom of this so that I could dispose AJ under oath as to when, where, how, and how frequently she first threw herself on Brad. I would also subpoena all raw footage of said event (there has to be some).

Posted by: yellojkt | January 7, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

My memory appears to be correct re George Clooney having packed on several pounds for "Syriana":
But even a zaftig Clooney isn't half bad.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness! You all are putting my pouch in stitches today....
All I can remember is when Gilligan gets three wishes and wishes for a tub of strawberry ice cream, and it washes up on shore. Now if we were to give those three wishes to Brad (aka the Professor) what would he wish for?
1. A little buddy of his own?
2. A diaperless house
3. A three-way sweaty beach hut sex sandwich with paramour and ex-wife (Jen/Lovey/Maryanne and Angie/Ginger, and possibly the Skipper)..

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 7, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Bridges should be the Skipper and do him as a Stoner like the Big Lebowski.

Posted by: Roxie1 | January 7, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, you're so full of good ideas today. Do you attribute your creativity to the inspiration of your Rolex Oyster?

"Owen Wilson Suicide Watch."

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"and possibly the Skipper..."
Posted by: possum_pouch

/does spittake

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll second Roxie's suggestion of The Dude as Skipper. That rug really brought the Minnow together.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Sas, my timepiece is a cheap knockoff - a Roulex Prairie Oyster. It's a crappy watch, but the dial's big enough that even Flava Flav can read it.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Not that I really really think about these people, but as Californian11 mentioned, AJ had a track record of home-wreckery with the BBT and Laura Dern thing. The most annoying part were AJ's statements that she would never have an affari w/a married man because she saw what kind of pain a wife goes through by observing her mother's reactions to her father's philandering ways. Then she pulls this kind of stunt. If you're going to be in an adulterous affair, fine, go for it. But stop with the semantic manipulation to justify it already. "Well, technically Billy Bob wasn't married, so its ok." Whatevs Angie.

Posted by: jelo | January 7, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Would Jen get her life back in order and find her soul-mate if she wore a Rolex?

Ya think??????

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

My $10 Chinese Rolex (I bought 3 of them in Beijing) seems to be working just fine. I'm happy as a clam, no need to shell out the big bucks. (No pun intended)

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

My $10 Chinese Rolex...

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 3:48 PM

----------------------------------------
Would that make it a Lorex?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Would that make it a Lorex?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 4:03 PM
======================
But then who will speak for the trees?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 7, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Would that make it a Lorex?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 4:03 PM

Nooooo! The guy on the street assured me it was genuine! ;D

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

But then who will speak for the trees?

Posted by: yellojkt | January 7, 2009 4:10 PM

You mean Lorax, my all time favorite Dr Seuss book! I think I will dig it out when I get home and reread.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

( . . . I wonder if my insurance would pay for a Rolex if my doctor wrote a prescription . . . )

Daydreaming and bursting with ideas,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | January 7, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon that is a VERY good point. Rolexes for everyone with depressive tendencies paid for by your insurance!

Posted by: sjcpeach | January 7, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The only reason why any of this is coming up again is b/c Jen is publicly airing her dirty laundry...again, not to mention herself, all over the sullied pages of GQ. My husband saw it and was like, UGH! Isn't she a little old for this? Desperate, pathetic, self-absorbed - so many words to describe Aniston, so little time. If it weren't Angelina, Brad would have left her at some point anyway.

Posted by: bucketgirl | January 7, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

If I can be Surgeon General of Lizard Island, I will make sure that each resident gets their own Rolex to prevent depression. If Chief Dorkus approves the funding, I may even get the good ones and not resort to the $10 genuine Chinese kind.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

As Chief of Lizard Island I feel that the Chinese Rolex watch industry is too big to fail and therefore I approve the dispersement of funds such that all Lizards may have their own genuine Chinese Rolex Owen Wilson Suicide Watch.

And, since I can not resist a sales pitch from a surgeon general, I also approve of everyone receiving their own LifeAlert bracelet.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

What will the Life Alert bracelet say "If found, get to Tiki Bar immediately?"

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 11:49 AM

Brilliant!

If Jonathan Winters isn't availble to play the Skipper, might I suggest Drew Carey?

Posted by: memphis1 | January 7, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

oh gawd- won't they let this one go. did Ange put him up to this? WTF shut up already. What am I thinking- as long as they all have something to promote "marly & me" "curious case..." etc. we'll continue to hear about this tired triangle.

Posted by: plamar1031 | January 7, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

What will the Life Alert bracelet say "If found, get to Tiki Bar immediately?"

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 5:04 PM

******************************************

And you can stay the Tiki Bar for as long as you like, well at least until you've fallen and can't get up.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

****
an inspired suggestion. brilliant, in fact. the endless churning of this story will soon turn it into blocks of greasy butter.

Posted by: frieda406 | January 7, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I've never understood the hatin' on Jen, but frankly, I've never thought Brad Pitt was all that. And he's not exactly known as the sharpest knife in the drawer, so assuming "he" would have been the one to leave Jen ... meh. Not so much. She mighta wised up and/or decided she didn't want to his perpetual broodmare.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 7, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse