Posted at 7:03 AM ET, 01/20/2009

Chatting Up Tim Robbins at the Creative Coalition Dinner

By Liz Kelly

Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins at Monday night's dinner. (Arthur Noll for washingtonpost.com)

Tim Robbins is a massive guy. Especially when stacked up against long-time partner, the slightly teensier in real life (but dazzling) Susan Sarandon.

As a stream of stars representing the Creative Coalition -- the non-profit political advocacy group founded by Sarandon, Alec Baldwin and Christopher Reeve, among others -- filed by, Robbins talked to Celebritology about the election year, his hopes for the Obama presidency and his spotty memory when it comes to former Washington Post gossip columnists.

When asked what he'd like to see the new Obama administration do first, Robbins said he'd like to see the detention center at Guantanamo Bay closed.

"Then, just a return to respect for the Constitution," said Robbins. "I'd like the U.S. to reinvest in the documents that made us great in the first place."

Robbins only broke character slightly when I made a reference to former Post Reliable Source columnist Lloyd Grove, with whom Robbins had a falling out in 2003 after Grove interviewed Sarandon's mother, at the time a George W. Bush backer.

Marisa Tomei. (Arthur Noll for washingtonpost.com)

"Who?" said a grinning Robbins when Grove's name was mentioned.

Sarandon also took a break from issues of national import when one InTouch Weekly stringer gushed "You're just such a great actress."

"Sure, I'm Helen Hayes," quipped Sarandon.

Star Jones, blinged out in a floor-length silver spangly gown, did not bring along boyfriend Herb Wilson, who joined her over the weekend at the BET Honors. And maybe Wilson should watch out since Jones batted her eyes and said, "Well hey good lookin'," to Robbins as he entered her orbit on the red carpet.

Also on hand at Monday night's event: Josh Lucas, Ellen Burstyn, Connie Britton, Matthew Modine, Stephen Baldwin, Alfre Woodard, Kim Raver, Kerry Washington, Tim Daly, Alan Cumming, Maura Tierney and Senator John Kerry and wife Teresa.

Most of the above -- and more -- will also turn out for tonight's Creative Coalition Inaugural Ball at D.C.'s Harman Center for the Arts.

More pix from last night.

By Liz Kelly  | January 20, 2009; 7:03 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Inauguration
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: For Joaquin Phoenix, a Bad Rap
Next: Morning Mix: Kelly Osbourne Arrested for Assault

Comments

Maybe I hold too much of a grudge, but I haven't been able to stomach these two since they grandstanded at the Oscars many years ago. You're ACTORS. Lighten up.

The "documents that made us great" -- I assume we're not talking about the scripts for "The Hudsucker Proxy" and "Stepmom."

Stephen Baldwin was there? I'd be more interested in his opinion. Then again, I'll just look at Marisa Tomei and all will be well anyway. She looks great.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 20, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, whoa, whoa there td, don't direspect the Hud.

Long Live The Hud!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 20, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

OK, Dorkus, I'll substitute "Jacob's Ladder" or "I.Q." instead. Your choice. (Robbins was also in "Howard the Duck," per IMDb. !)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 20, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, I found I.Q. to be charming (I'm a sucker for a cheesy romantic comedy), but there really isn't an excuse for Howard the Duck.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 20, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Yo Lizards, carm down. Even the most respected actor makes the occasional stinker of a film, TV show or whatever. As much as each of us esteems his or her own opinion, we've all messed up occasionally too. So I'll cut Robbins/Sarandon a little slack at this historic time.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 20, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm surprised that Stephen Baldwin was at this event. Isn't he supposed to be in another country? I'm surprised Stephen would even show his face in the DC area right now. I guess he is really desperate for attention.

Posted by: ZebraLover | January 21, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse