Posted at 10:11 AM ET, 01/12/2009

Comment Box: Can We Call Mickey Rourke a 'Comeback Kid' Yet?

By Liz Kelly

Mickey Rourke hoists his Golden Globe backstage at last night's awards ceremony in Los Angeles. (Getty Images)

Comment Box

Did "The Wrestler" live up to your expectations? Is Mickey on a roll and will it end with redemption or death for everyone's favorite creep? -- from last week's Celebritology Live discussion

I'm glad you asked because since seeing "The Wrestler" a couple weeks back I have been evangelizing for Mickey Rourke's triumphant, and long overdue, return to cinematic form. Sure, it would've been nice if he still had that lovable baby face that made him dangerously attractive in early movies like "Rumble Fish" and "Diner," but years of boxing injuries and self-destructive behavior don't seem to have dulled Rourke's acting chops one bit.

Don't take my word for it -- last night Rourke beat back competition from Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Frank Langella and Sean Penn to pick up the Golden Globe award for Best Actor in a Motion Picture. And I think Rourke expressed it best when talking to the press scrum (video) after receiving his award:

"It was never about my ability. I never questioned that ... I'm really grateful and thankful than I am surprised."

But you're not questioning his ability either. You're asking about Rourke's chances for longevity. Will he be able to parley one standout performance into a full-on return to regular, credible work? I can't predict his chances for success, but I can tell you that the opportunity is there. Since rave reviews for Rourke's "Wrestler" performance have been piling up, Rourke is somewhat of a Hollywood "It" boy.

You'll see him next opposite Billy Bob Thornton, Winona Ryder and Kim Basinger in "The Informers" in May. He's now also attached to play a villain in "Iron Man 2" joining the ensemble cast of Sylvester Stallone's "The Expendables" and rumored to be reprising his role as Marv in "Sin City 2." Roles in blockbusters and action films may not be a return to form in and of themselves, but Rourke has to start (over) somewhere.

Rourke has said in several interviews that he agreed to not be paid for his work in "The Wrestler." Here's to hoping it pays off big after all.

Comments of the Week
"Word is that Lisa Bonet settled on the baby name only after finding out that Mekalekahi Meka Hiney Ho was already taken." -- MStreet1 comments on Bonet's brand new baby boy, Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa.

"Kevin Costner's hospitalization lasted almost as long as Costner's membership on the Hollywood A List." -- sasquatchbigfoot on Costner's overnight stay at Cedars-Sinai hospital.

Creative Captioning: The (Kinda Sorta) Winner
Okay, I get the message. Friday's Jason Segel picture was obviously not interesting enough to inspire our sillier sides. In what was possibly the poorest showing of caption entries ever, we had one standout entry:

Jason Segel shows off his "O" face. -- MStreet1

And to answer a nagging question from several of you, there was no winner to the Kelly Ripa/Santa captioning contest. Apologies for the belated news, but I was going with the whole "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" tactic.

By Liz Kelly  | January 12, 2009; 10:11 AM ET
Categories:  Awards Season, Comment Box
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Globes Redux; Fergie Marries; Kanye Ready for Naked Photo Spread
Next: Morning Mix: Gisele and Tom Engaged; Howie Mandel Hospitalized; Hasselhoff Parties

Comments

Darn -- there goes my "If you don't have anything nice to say, send in multiple captions" hypothesis.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | January 12, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey! What was wrong with "I'll be home for Grabassmas"? You know, it's the reason for the season.
As for Mickey Rourke, I can't wait to see his new movie. I've just been watching Diner and he was really something....always hoped he'd make a comeback. Also I noticed that he looked like he was wearing eyeliner/mascara even then.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 12, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Wow, we all struck out in December and all but one of us in January. Sad.

Mickey needs to do an independent film or two to keep adding to his trophy case. This will show his range and balance nicely with the blockbuster and action flicks that pay the bills.

That, and a supporting role in the remake of "Caligula" that was the basis of my non-amusing Jason Segal caption.

Posted by: 44west | January 12, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I'm honored (kinda sorta) by the dual win.

I want to say thank you to Celebritology. I'll always love Celebritology and have all the Celebritology posters' action figures, (Sas's has real fur). Thank you, Tina Fey and Will Arnett, for that joke.

BTW, Dane Cook, you can suck it. Celion Dion, you can suck it. Poop Diddy, you can really suck it.

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 12, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

P.S. Meant to say congrats to MStreet1!

Posted by: 44west | January 12, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I always like to see comebacks but couldn't he have at least washed his hair for the Golden Globes?

Congrats to MStreet x2 and Sas! You rock!

Posted by: hodie | January 12, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame that Marisa Tomei has reached a low point in her career where she can only get parts if she does nudity. After not doing any when she was in more demand, she has now done lengthy and I mean lengthy nude scenes in her two most recent films, "The Wrestler" and "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead."

Posted by: buffysummers | January 12, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Congrats, M Street! (And gee, Liz, way to end the post on such a downer.)

And I saw Mickey Rourke in a wonderfully creepy role two years ago in "Stormbreaker." He was great. So I wouldn't call this a one-shot comeback.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 12, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

What hodie said at 10:45 a.m. Nothing creeps me out more than a guy with long stringy hair and a goatee. It's Manson-ish.

Posted by: memphis1 | January 12, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I've loved Rourke for ages, glad to see this comeback, he deserves it.

What he didn't deserve was Wild Orchid, blech.

Posted by: wadejg | January 12, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I would be more impressed with his Golden Globe win if the Hollywood Foreign Press Association were made up of, well, real members of the Foreign Press, not just old people who want to see movies for free.

Posted by: epjd | January 12, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"You'll see [Mickey Rourke] next opposite Billy Bob Thornton..."

In what? A mumble-a-thon?

Certainly not in an advertisement for hair care products.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 12, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"It's a shame that Marisa Tomei has reached a low point in her career where she can only get parts if she does nudity."

I'm fairly sure she is never naked, topless yes. If you want naked check out the career of a certain K. Winslet who I believe is also an actress though I haven't checked if she has been able to find work recently.

Posted by: JoeBlow991 | January 12, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

I am sorry I am not funny, but I do not understand the lizards.
Mickey Rourke can't make a comeback because he was never an "A" lister anyway. Even at his peak he was more of a "C" lister.
And how is sasquatchbigfoot's comment funny? If you compare the IMDB profiles of Kevin Costner and Mickey Rourke you will find that Costner has made about 10,000 times more money (both himself and his movies) then Rourke. Costner's career spans decades while Rourke's spans pretty much nothing.
I watched the Wrestle this weekend. What a terrible, depressing, boring movie.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | January 12, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I am glad Rourke won but if he deserved an globe for this movie then he should have won an oscar for Barfly and Angel Heart.In both of those movies he was absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: ydor | January 12, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a big Mickey Rourke fan but I do wish him well. That said, one good performance does not a Comeback Kid make. Keep workin', Mick,' and stay away from the Tiki Bar, except to brood.

Posted by: pras40 | January 12, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger, reunited in the new movie "The Informers". Hope there are no sex scenes - I prefer to remember them when they were young and attractive in 9 and a Half Weeks.

No-class Colin Farrell was loudly chomping gum into the microphone while presenting an award at the Golden Globes last night. Yuck.

Also yuck: 1.Drew Barrymore's enormous hair-don't and random handholding with Jessica Lange, who she referred to as her mom when talking to Ryan Seacrest. 2.Demi Moore's frozen forehead. I sensed that Demi was trying to emote concern about the tragic death of Heath Ledger, but she couldn't make a sad-eyed face because her eyebrows don't move.

Posted by: newengland1 | January 12, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Kate Winslet has done nudity in almost all her films and says its no big deal for her. Tomei was very specific about not doing nudity and turned down parts when she was younger that called for nudity. So her doing it now is a sign of desperation to jump start her career.

Posted by: buffysummers | January 12, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but buffy, when you peak with My Cousin Vinny, what else are you going to do?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 12, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"I was going with the whole "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" tactic."

A fine, warm and noble sentiment.

Now give us back the *real* Liz Kelly, whoever you are, you blog-stealing zombie. (Quick, someone check her Facebook page and see if all her pix have been replaced with images of the Care Bears.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 12, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

(Sas's has real fur) -- ROFL!!!

I know it's superficial, but hey, this is a safe place to express that right? ;-) I'm still too distracted by Mickey Rourke's messed-up visage to notice his acting.

So glad Gabriel Byrne won. Love him.

It was cute when someone said they remember bringing Rumer Willis a juice box. I remember when she was BORN! Sheesh.

Yeah, the cow-chewing-its-cud thing Colin Farrell had going on was oh-so-classy. I mean, we expect that from Britney Spears, but sheesh, dude.

When the camera kept passing over wee Tom, I couldn't help thinking, who let that nutball in? And I noticed he brought his mother instead of Katie. He no doubt left strict instructions for the $Scientolocult minders, otherwise she might have tried to grab Suri and make a break for it.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 12, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Just a quick comment to Iowahoosier's post. Earning money in Hollywood has nothing to do with acting talent. The fact that you brought that up shows your ignorance about this. Please watch both Rourke movies that Ydor mentioned, Barfly and Angel Heart. If your not convinced then, please go back to watching Waterworld.

Posted by: east1500 | January 12, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: east1500 | January 12, 2009 12:51 PM

It's seems more like an ESL problem....

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 12, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The word is "parlay," Liz.

Posted by: triplebock | January 12, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I got a co-mention Comment of the Week for *that*??? Thanks much Liz, but I think others are more deserving. I rate my Costner comment as a solid B, but it didn't sploot into spit-take territory. Liz, I will take your recommendation to go see "Wrestler." Ms Snatchquatch and I rarely venture out to the Multiplex, but we'll add "Wrestler," to our list, which currently consists of "Gran Torino."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 12, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Californian11 - I'm not a Tom Cruise or a Scientology fan, but in fairness, he brought his mother to the GGs because Katie Holmes is currently doing a play on Broadway.

Posted by: pfallsgirl | January 12, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Did Wee Tom bring his own mother, or Katie's?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 12, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

His mom and Katie's dad, apparently. There are pics of him & Katie at after-parties; she must have gone straight from Broadway to the airport.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 12, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Californian11 | January 12, 2009 3:35 PM

Geez! no wonder she looks terrible and so tired lately. Tom, give the poor girl a break. Why should Katie, working mom, fly all the way out there to see you give someone else an award? Don't tell me you expected to win something for Valkyrie? (please no one correct me if he did)

Posted by: hodie | January 12, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

hodie

Because Tom has a controlling personality?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 12, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else besides the commenter on Pookie's chat today and me think Kate Winslet was wa-a-a-ay too effusive in her praise of co-star Leonardo DiCaprio during her second acceptance speech last night? Is the Mendes marriage in trouble, or was Kate just sloshed by then? Or both?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 12, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Kate Winslet might become available? Don't tell Ms. Snatchquatch, cuz she'll put me under house arrest.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 12, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse