Posted at 11:37 AM ET, 01/19/2009

For Joaquin Phoenix, a Bad Rap

By Liz Kelly

First, Joaquin Phoenix -- who everyone generally agreed was pretty good at his craft -- announced last October that he would quit acting to concentrate on his musical career.

Then, he started looking like this -- abandoning genetically-gifted looks for what can best be described as a fat suit and Rick Ruben-esque beard.

Now we have this troubling footage, apparently shot over the weekend in Las Vegas where Phoenix took to the stage at Las Vegas's Lavo Nightclub to rap. Badly.

Close friend Casey Affleck is filming Phoenix's foray into music and and followed him as he clumsily worked his way through an unremarkable, lazy rhyme, not stopping when Phoenix tumbled into the audience:

Will Afflleck's docu-drama be a serious look at Phoenix's new career or is are they pulling a fast one only to surprise us later with a "Borat"-like faux docu-comedy? That was my hope until I read that P. Diddy is producing Phoenix's album.

And we all know that when it comes to music, P. Diddy is all about the quality.

By Liz Kelly  | January 19, 2009; 11:37 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Patrick Swayze Released from Hospital
Next: Chatting Up Tim Robbins at the Creative Coalition Dinner

Comments

Thanks, Liz Kelly: until I saw these videos, I was almost certain that that naked Madonna photo was going to be the most unappetizing thing I'd seen all day.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 19, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

...if not the scruffiest & hairiest.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 19, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I confess that I always confuse Tobey McGuire, Wes Bentley, and Joaquin Phoenix. (Topher Grace, too). Now I can't even tell which guy this is under all that hair. Could be all of them.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 19, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

And all of a sudden K-Fed is looking talented....

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Dlisted had the title of this story as "Drunk Ass Hobo Mess."

That about sums it up right there.

Posted by: wadejg | January 19, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, if ScarJo can do a second-rate Marilyn Monroe impersonation, why can't Joaquin Phoenix do a third-rate fat Elvis impersonation?

Have fun standing in the security lines at the Capitol and the Mall tomorrow, you hosers.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 19, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

BTW, isn't that a nude photo of ScarJo in the background in the Joaquin Phoenix video?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 19, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked Joaquin Phoenix. This is depressing.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 19, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Didn't his brother, River, die of a drug reaction or overdose or something? Is there a history of mental illness in this family? (I mean other than the weirdness of changing the family name to Phoenix).

Posted by: Amelia5 | January 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse