Posted at 10:59 AM ET, 01/16/2009

Friday List: Best Mall Movies

By Liz Kelly
Friday List

I'm not holding out much hope for "Paul Blart: Mall Cop," the new movie from Kevin James opening this weekend. I was never a "King of Queens" fan and, as pointed out by my colleague Jen Chaney, any movie title that includes a word rhyming with [redacted] puts one on her guard.

But don't let James's ham-fisted attempt at humor scare you away from the mall. Some of the finest movie moments have taken place in malls:

"Mallrats": The iconic Jay and Silent Bob help Jason Lee win back Shannen Doherty in a mall.

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High": A teenaged Phoebe Cates learns to flirt while serving up fries in a mall.

"Dawn of the Dead": Sarah Polley fought off an army of zombies inside a mall.

Good times.

Your mission -- should you choose to accept it -- is to list your favorite mall movies. And, a mall movie need not take place exclusively in a mall, but a movie in which at least one significant scene takes place inside a covered retail complex. (For the young'uns out there: a "mall" is where we used to shop before Town Centers started popping up like weeds all over the country.)

Share your favorites below...

By Liz Kelly  | January 16, 2009; 10:59 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Oprah Stiffs Obama Inaugural; J.Lo Says Divorce is Not an Option
Next: Hey Celebs, Here's a Little Inaugural Advice

Comments

Valley Girl!!!!!

Posted by: Fruitfly1 | January 16, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

There's a great chase scene in the Blues Brothers movie that takes place in a mall.

There's a great chase scene in Terminator that takes place in a mall.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 16, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

There are no chase scenes that take place in malls in "M*A*S*H", "The Searchers," "The Maltese Falcon," or "2001: A Space Odyssey," but they all might have benefited from same.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 16, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I hate to admit, but I'm a big fan of Bill and Ted and I love the scene where they bring all of the famous dead dudes to the mall. Joan of Arc leads the aerobics class, Beethoven rocks the synthesizers, Ghengis Khan destroys the sporting goods store and Freud finds the corndog stand. When I was in history class, I always prayed that George Carlin would show up in a magic telephone booth.

Posted by: eet7e | January 16, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

All those 80s/90s teen movies are running together in my head. I think all of them have at least one mall scene. Usually a group of nerdy girls see a group of cheerleaders while on an escalator, one group going up, the other going down. Snide remarks are exchanged. Mall crowd ends up at someones house while parents are away. House gets trashed after party gets out of hand. Fight ensues. Nerdy girl wins the hot guy. Same plot for all.

Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

"Night of the Living Dead"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 16, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Nerdy girl wins the hot guy. Same plot for all.

Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 11:30 AM

******************************************

What about nerdy guy wins the hot girl?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 16, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Clueless--Ty gets hassled by a couple of idiots at the mall and as a result, gains even greater popularity than Cher.

Mean Girls-all the teenage characters act like animals around a watering hole in the sahara.

Posted by: spartan123 | January 16, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Back to the Future began and ended in a mall parking lot.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 16, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Chopping Mall (1986) eight teens trapped in mall after closing are pursued by murderous security robots.

Then again, are there any other kind of security robots?

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 16, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Weird Science! I always loved Robert Downey Jr.'s rocking of the Flock of Seagulls hairdo.

Also: Mannequin! Featuring the absolute worst song ever: Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now!

Posted by: blahblah6b | January 16, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," starring Helen Hunt, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jonathan Silverman, and a very young Shannon Doherty! Totally 80stastic!

In the mall scene, Silverman is having a tux altered in a mall store and brags about his invite to a party thrown by the snooty rich girl competing against SJP in the Dance TV finals. Helen Hunt steals the invite to go make copies to hand out to all and sundry and Silverman moves to go after her, getting stuck by the pins in his tux. This is followed by the tailor's only, but memorable line, delivered in an Eastern European accent: "You move, you bleed."

Posted by: Wikijen | January 16, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Oy,
Other than mallrats and fast times, most of these aren't ringing a bell.

Apparently there is an element of my cultural education that needs addressing.

Posted by: memphis1 | January 16, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Mallrats FTW!!

Not only for giving us Jason Lee, but for causing me to NEVER look at chocolate covered pretzels the same way again due to Jason Lee's classic "stink palm" scene & for great lines like:

-"FLY FATASS FLY!!'
-"but you said it was a good size?!",
-"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega"
-"Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don't hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don't care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator."

I need to go rewatch it!

After Mallrats, I'd say the ORIGINAL Dawn of The Dead.

Posted by: wadejg | January 16, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

My favorite mall movie is First Kid starring Sinbad. Its an awful movie, but I cracked up when I realized that it was filmed at Tyson's 2. My college roommates couldn't figure out why I was laughing so hard until I explained that they probably had to truck people in because there was no way that Tysons 2 EVER looks that crowded. Nor did they have virtual reality machines or, and I'm just guessing here, a covert ops center run out of what used to be the sock store.

Posted by: StuckatWork | January 16, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Mall movies? What's next, Best Cab Movies? Best Elevator Movies?

The only Mall movie that comes to mind is "Clueless," per spartan123.

Oh, and "Halloweentown" had a fun mall sequence.

Didn't Woody Allen and Bette Midler do some universally-panned movie about a mall? "Scenes from a Mall"? I didn't see it.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 16, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

My favorite lines from Mallrats:

They did it in a very uncomfortable place.
- what the back of a beetle?

and

Everybody wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Go Brody.

Posted by: LTL1 | January 16, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

My coworkers and I were discussing an excellent 'Friday List' idea.

Song Titles in a David Hasselhoff album.

What say ye Queen Liz?

Posted by: LTL1 | January 16, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Nerdy girl wins the hot guy. Same plot for all.

Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 11:30 AM

******************************************

What about nerdy guy wins the hot girl?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 16, 2009 11:34 AM

Dorkus, what are you suggesting, mmmmm? LOL, just kidding. Anyway, it's all the same.

Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

excuse me...

but Bad Santa was by far the best mall movie ever... Lauren Graham ftw!!11!1

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | January 16, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

True Stories. David Byrne captures the feeling of mall-ness better than anyone else. North Park mall in Dallas has never looked better.

Posted by: karmadrome | January 16, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Reminds me of the great mall/Santa scene in A Christmas Story.

"you'll shoot yer eye out!".

Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Night of the Comet!"

Posted by: soso1 | January 16, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I like mdreader's Back to the Future, beginning & ending in the mall parking lot.

And I hate that I know this but 'Mannequin' actually takes place in a Target store, not a mall. I'm not sure it was called "Target" in the movie, but it was a large discount store. It was filmed at the Target in my town.

Posted by: pras40 | January 16, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

The only mall scene I can think of is from "Soapdish" when Whoopie takes Sally Field to the mall to be "recognized" by her fans because the Sally character needs a hit of celebrity. Don't know why I don't have that movie on DVD, actually.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 16, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: karmadrome | January 16, 2009 1:40 PM
=========
I concur.

Reminds me of the great mall/Santa scene in A Christmas Story.
"you'll shoot yer eye out!".
Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 2:17 PM
=========
How old are you, Hodie? 27? Well, little whippersnapper, back in the day, they had these places called "downtowns." Downtown, you went from store to store walking down things called "sidewalks," which were open to the weather. We had these in Cleveland, where "A Christmas Story" was filmed.

The Santa scene was NOT SHOT IN A MALL but in the HIGBEE'S DEPARTMENT STORE on Public Square in Downtown Cleveland.

Not a mall.

You want a Mall Christmas movie, try "Jingle All the Way."

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 16, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"Soapdish!" How could I forget, possum_pouch? GOOD ONE! That's a great scene, which Kevin Kline alludes to later with a great throwaway jab at Sally Field, something like, "say hello to everyone in Paramus."

Anyone see "The Freshman"? Matthew Broderick and a komodo dragon had a somewhat amusing scene in a mall.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 16, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Not a mall.

You want a Mall Christmas movie, try "Jingle All the Way."

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 16, 2009 2:50 PM

mdreader, I hang my head in smame as I am from Northern, Ohio, much older than 27. I truly did not know that.

Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Mannequin was not set in a DISCOUNT department store. It was set in a failing old-fashioned regular old department store. It was old-fashioned so no one wanted to shop there. They wanted the new, edgier Electra. But, then Jonathan (played by Andrew McCarthy) helped by his mannequin (Kim Cattrall in the only role I can stand her in) jazzes things up. Meshach Taylor playing a gay guy provides a lot of comedy. James Spader plays the creepy manager who doesn't want change.

No, this is not a favorite movie of mine, why do you ask?

Posted by: epjd | January 16, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Agreed epjd, there's no way that Mannequin was in a Target. It had multiple levels (remember when she rode the hangglider?). Looked more like an old Macy's.

Also have to follow up on the Soapdish love - that is a GREAT movie and I totally believe celebs still do that. What? You recognize me? Oh how flattering!

Posted by: sjcpeach | January 16, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"The Terror of Tiny Town"

It's an all midget western musical with no malls but how can you resist the concept? It'll be on TCM at 2 AM so set your TIVO's now!!

Posted by: WoodleyParker | January 16, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Mannequin was filmed in the original Wanamaker's department store, the first department store in Philly and one of the first in the country. Bad movie, great store.

For a non-teen, non-comedy movie with a great mall scene, don't forget No Way Out. Though I don't think you can still take the Baltimore Light Rail to the non-existent Metro station beneath the Georgetown Mall.

Posted by: sbainum | January 16, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

my bad...i must be thinking of some other bad trapped in the store movie. i must admit, whatever it was called, i left soon after it began.

Posted by: pras40 | January 16, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | January 16, 2009 3:09 PM

========
Those of us from northern Ohio all hang our head in smame. The smame blows in from Canada every year with those pesky little midges that stick to everything.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 16, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I must agree with the greatness of all of the mentioned mall movies (esp. Mallrats), but I must add a mall scene in a much beloved (and hated) TV show- Saved by the Bell.

Remember when the crew was in the mall and found a bag of money and vowed to use the money to buy up tickets to a concert and then re-sell for large profit? They spent the night in the mall so they would be the first in line and there were mean guys that kept chasing after them.

Then it all ended up being a reality TV show, and the money wasn't real.

Ahhh... what a great show.

Posted by: Osteph | January 16, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll vote for "Saved!" myself.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 16, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I believe the movie in Target was Opportunity Knocks. I watch too many movies, apparently.

Posted by: sbainum | January 16, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Jennifer Jason Leigh was the one learning to flirt in Fast Times, not Phoebe Cates...

Posted by: stefs624 | January 16, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Not a mall movie, but a mall scene: "Mean Girls", when LiLo's character envisions all the teenagers as wild animals from the African Plains.

Best mall reference in a movie (ok, I know I'm stretching it) is the following exchange from "Juno":

Su-Chin: I'm having a little trouble concentrating.
Juno MacGuff: Oh, well I could sell you some of my Adderall if you want.
Su-Chin: No thanks, I'm off pills.
Juno: That's a wise choice because I knew this girl who like had this crazy freak out because she took too many behavioral meds at once and she like ripped off her clothes and dove into the fountain at Ridgedale Mall and was all like, "Blah, I am a Kracken from the sea!"
Su-Chin: I heard that was you.
Juno: Well, it was good seeing ya Su-Chin.

Posted by: KS8284 | January 16, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse