Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 01/30/2009

Friday List: Most Annoying TV Personality Ever?

By Liz Kelly

'The View's' Hasselbeck: Most annoying? (AP)
Friday List

Is Elisabeth Hasselbeck the most annoying TV personality? She is according to several readers who wrote in to yesterday's Celebritology Live discussion to register their distaste with the perky blond Republican "View" co-host.

Here's the post that kicked off the frenzy:

"I loathe Elisabeth Hasselbeck. This bim has basically done nothing of note except marry a rich football player and be on a reality show. Yet she is a very well-paid person on television; for sure she makes more than I ... but other than Kelly Ripa, I can't think of a TV personality I detest more."

Does Hasselbeck have you frothing at the mouth, too? Or is it Ann Curry's smiling face that sends you over the edge in the morning? Or are you perhaps contemplating how to avoid ever seeing Jay Leno on your new HD set?

Vote for the Most Annoying TV Personality Ever in the poll below. The list -- compiled from yesterday's chat submissions -- is by no means exhaustive. If you see any glaring omissions, add your nominees to the comments section below -- it is definitely possible for a write-in candidate to walk away with the title.

By Liz Kelly  | January 30, 2009; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Hasselbeck Expecting; Kanye West Hires 'Shoe Cleaner'
Next: Morning Mix: Spears Gets Restraining Order Against Ex Boyfriend and Former Manager

Comments

What a list. It's like a Love Boat episode conceived in hell.

I voted for Nancy Grace. Not because she's grating and dumb, but because she's a misery merchant.

Plus, ugh. A face for radio.

Posted by: molsonmich | January 30, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Liz, you forgot Sean Hannity. For a special Daily Show tribute to Sean Hannity, catch the video at

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 30, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow, not a single TV "judge" on the list! Jeanine Pirro is first among equals at that happy hour.

I voted for Kathie Lee, because she's been grating on my nerves for the longest of those listed. She deserves a lifetime achievement award.

Posted by: northgs | January 30, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

What a list. It's like a Love Boat episode conceived in hell.
**********
Amen! I voted for Ann Curry, but honestly any of those folks could serve as the MATVPE. Ryan Secrest gets my vote for most annoying male.
Kathie Lee certainly deserves the lifetime achievement award.

Posted by: pras40 | January 30, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree that Sean Hannity should be on the list.
And for some strange reason, Kristen Bell annoys the hell out of me.

Posted by: Caitlin41282 | January 30, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Does Ann Coulter count? (I'm guessing not, since she's generally only on TV to promote one of her screeds, but still...) If so, I'd like to change my vote from Dr. Phil. He's like the bastard offspring of a walrus and a freshman psych major.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 30, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Gawd- what a super-hard choice to make from that list, Liz. I think Rachel Ray, Tyra Banks, Dr. Phil and Eliz. Hasselback are neck in neck. That Kathie Lee is the penultimate, but the worst by far is Ryan Seacrest.

Posted by: plamar1031 | January 30, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The only one on that list that I don't find annoying is Ryan Seacrest. The others can climb into a hole and stay there. I ended up voting for, or rather, against O'Donnell.

Posted by: MILW | January 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

The sad thing is if you took Hasselbeck out of The View, you'd replace her with some equally annoying loud-mouthed acid-spewing self-righteous whine artist. Take a half-dozen from this list - there will be a thousand thousand to take their place. These self-possessed - this nation of the 'entitled' - they are legion. Each one of the pests on your list, claws firmly entrenched in their 15 minutes of fame, know how quickly they can be cast aside for the next water-cooler discussion topic... they only survive on the negative attention. (Hell, it's not as if harpies like Courtney Love got where they did on talent.)

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | January 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Most annoying, CNN-Style:

Lou Dobbs. (I know I said Billo yesterday, but he's so beyond annoying that I never watch him. However, I sometimes can't get to the remote fast enough after Wolf Blitzer's Situation Room...)

Annoying, Family Style:

The Duggers

Annoying, celeb show host style:

Billy Bush

Annoying, reality TV style:

Snoop Dog, almost tied with Rachel Zoe

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

keith olberman is rapidly climbing the list.

(and, yes, I imagine others will put Rush Limbaugh at the top already . . . a pox on all of them.)

Posted by: ah___ | January 30, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

The female judge (don't know her name) on "So You Think You Can Dance." She's like a cross between Marie Osmond on steroids, Rachel Ray and a demon from the 7th level of Hell. I can't stand her. I can't watch the show because of her. (Shudders)

Posted by: NW_Washington | January 30, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Certainly all these deserve at least honorable mention. The word "ever" is in the question I suspect more as a superlative meaning really-really annoying CURRENT TV personality than in its literal meaning of "at any time." Still I would be remiss if I didn't point out that both Ed Sullivan and Soupy Sales were really, really anoying, back in the day, even though some folks think they were geniuses.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 30, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

PS I think Rachel Ray is kind of cute. But then I watch her with the sound turned off.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 30, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

That really is a good list. Although I have to say I could never vote for Tyra, Ryan or Ann Curry just because of how much I love watching the Soup rip them apart every week!

Posted by: sjcpeach | January 30, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

This list is not so good folks, as more than half of these people purport to be "news" people.

Ann Curry is definitely a newsreader - and also definitely annoying.

Bill O'Reilly and Nancy Grace are positioned as news personalities as well - or at least their networks purport to deliver the "news" at least some of the time (and how could you leave off Glen Beck - he of no functioning autonomous brain cells).

Meredith Viera - split decision - she originally comes from a "news" background - but she is also a game show host. Coin toss on her.

Finally, Jim Cramer - hmmm. He delivers financial news and OPINION - but he is quite entertaining.

Kathie Lee has to take the cake - Hasselbeck is too much of a lightweight to even rate being in this list (maybe that's why Glen Beck didn't make it either!)

Posted by: gvanderlek | January 30, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Most of those annoy me in some way, which come to think of it makes me sound like a real people person doesn't it? I had to pick EliSabeth because she's announced she'll be annoying for two.

I'll probably get flack for saying the least annoying on that list (to me) is Kelly Ripa. Mind you she needs to watch old episodes of Regis & Kathie Lee as a what not to do primer but since most of her talking is making fun of herself I don't mind too much.

Posted by: jes11 | January 30, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I co-sign mdreader01, Billy Bush is a d-bag

Posted by: doni161 | January 30, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Soledad O' Brian (Brien?).....cutesy voice, perky-perky attitude, bobble-head doll hair. If CNN can make holograms, why can't they get rid of her???

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 30, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If we're going with annoying morning tv personalities, let throw Steve Doocy into the mix. That man is just a moron and every time he talks I just cringe.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 30, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

It's really hard to pick the most annoying. Although Seacrest, Hasselbeck and Mandel spring to mind.

Might I add to that Hasselbeck's "not easy being green" jacket from the campaign trail did show us what not to wear. So she is annoying but some of her choices also work as cautionary tales.

Posted by: petalceleb | January 30, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I would like to register, once again, my amazement that all these seemingly-intelligent people are at home during the day and watching dreck like The View. I've never seen any part of it that wasn't featured on The Soup.

If I could pick any of those people out of a lineup, it's thanks to the genius of Joel McHale.

Posted by: WDC2 | January 30, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Good gravy, it's impossible to pick just one peerson on that list to vote for.

Posted by: CentreOfNowhere1 | January 30, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

This is a list of TV people typical of the Washington Post...

Where is Joy Behar who has topped several internet polls as TV's most annoying? How about Kieth Olbermann or Chris Matthews?

Annoying to you seems to be just people you don't agree with.

Posted by: TPath | January 30, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Gotta defend Meredith Vieira here. Sure, she hosts a game show, but after "Slumdog Millionaire" the show's worldwide caché is definitely up. Besides, she has one of the smoothest voices in all of broadcasting.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Annoying to you seems to be just people you don't agree with.

Posted by: TPath | January 30, 2009 12:27 PM
--------------------------------------------

I look forward to you naming the geo-political-social-policy issues on which Howie Mandel, Kelly Ripa, Ryan Seacrest, Kathie Lee Gifford, and Rachel Ray have weighed in.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 30, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Where is Joy Behar?

Well, she's smart and funny. Unlike a lot of the other candidates.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Roseanne.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 30, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Why, oh why, is this not a series of checkboxes instead of radio boxes? There's too much irritation here to limit myself to one...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 30, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Kathie Lee Gifford is an evangelical Christian. Kelly Ripa's dad is a longtime Democratic politician in NJ, which situation, when Kelly once made some political statement on-air, caught her some flak.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Or better yet, an annoyingness quotient. BTW I think Soledad O'Brien IS a hologram.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 30, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The whole morning Fox & Friends gang. Including the weekend folks. I watch for the news, not to watch them make jokes about EVERY news story. And I do mean every, I've seen them be cracking up at the start of a serious or sad story only to realize what kind of story it is. They have to stop and tell each other to behave. Geez. Grow up already.

Posted by: epjd | January 30, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Work won't let me see the poll....

Is Rosie O'Donnell on there? How about Billy Mays? Or the Football-lovin' chick from the Nutrisystem comercials (or anybody from the nutrisystem commercials).

Personally, I find Larry King really annoying, although I liked him better back when he was alive.

Posted by: memphis1 | January 30, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

I chose Bill O'Reilly because he is the most arrogant, pompous a$$ there is regardless if I agree with him or not.

I'm not getting the Ann Curry hate. I kind of like her. She seems like she would be fun to hang out with. Ditto Rachel Ray but I can see how she can be annoying. We turn off the sound too.

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

If anyone from the Today show is annoying, it is Al Roker.

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Baba Wawa, is the MOST annoying one. Why is she not on the list!???

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Meredith Vieira is a babe!

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Greta von Susteren, by a mile.

Posted by: kjohnson3 | January 30, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I can't see the list at work, but Dr. Phil is definately my most annoying. I can not tolerate even his photo and will sprint from the other end of the house to change the TV if he appears even in a commercial. No joke, just thinking about that bloviating asshat makes me mad. Anger issues? I will show you some anger issues.

Also, I like Meredith Viera. She seems sweet - like the nice aunt who always sends you a cool Christmas present.

Posted by: VaLGaL | January 30, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Ktie Couric MUST be added, can't stand her at all!!!!

Posted by: des13 | January 30, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Kathie Lee Gifford is an evangelical Christian.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 12:39 PM

Kathie Lee Gifford was born & raised a nice Jewish girl in Bowie, MD before becoming the Name That Tune bimbette 100 years ago.

Posted by: jes11 | January 30, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

ok, not TV but who is the old guy(must be at least 90) who does the commentary, mostly political, on NPR? He so gets on my nerves that even if he expresses my views, I will disagree with him just because.

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

My vote goes to Billy Mays.

Posted by: Bartolo1 | January 30, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Nancy Grace is by far the most annoying person on that list.

And everyday I say a little prayer because Marie Osmond doesn't host a show.

Posted by: jcm4 | January 30, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

True, jes, but Kathie Lee converted. She's an alumna of Oral Robert University.

Oh no no no, hodie, Daniel Schorr is a national treasure! He ranked very high on Nixon's Enemies List, which is like a badge of honor. Did you like Red Barber when he used to do his Friday chats (nominally about sports, but really about philosophy of life) on NPR "Morning Edition" with Bob Edwards...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Oral Roberts. Ack.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

And everyday I say a little prayer because Marie Osmond doesn't host a show.

Posted by: jcm4 | January 30, 2009 1:30 PM

Oh, I regret, jcm, to tell you that your prayers have fallen on deaf ears. Marie Osmond has a talk show now starting this fall. So sorry. Don't shoot the messenger.

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Oral Roberts, how about that smarmy Pat Robertson for annoying TV host?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Schorr, that's the guy, Nosy. And yes he should be a treasure but something about his voice and presentation is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I think because it sounds like he's lecturing and I hate that. He does often express my own views but he makes me want to argue with him.

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Ahh, Oral Roberts, with the 900 ft Jesus and the university president who used school funds to a Beverly Hills home and ponies for his kids while his wife was cavorting around with the underclassmen.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 30, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Where is Keith Olberman?? Although I'm a democrat, I cringe to watch his show, he's 200% annoying to me, yuck yuck yuck.

Posted by: skins82 | January 30, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

True, jes, but Kathie Lee converted. She's an alumna of Oral Robert University.
Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 1:38 PM
-----------------------------------------
Is where managers for gay BJs get their training?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 30, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I ever mentioned it.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 1:41 PM

Oh man...I knew it. I just knew someone would give that woman a show. Hence the prayers.

Posted by: jcm4 | January 30, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

By the way, the fact that Elisabeth Hasselbeck spells "EliZabeth" with an S just makes her that much more annoying.

Posted by: Caitlin41282 | January 30, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Ktie Couric MUST be added, can't stand her at all!!!!

Posted by: des13 | January 30, 2009 1:16 PM

Ditto. Sounds like a little ant. Voted for Hasselbeck--no brain. Detest O'Reilly who couches his ignorance in pomposity. Occasionally watch Nancy Grace, but her whiny voice makes me turn the channel.

Posted by: 1950snoopy | January 30, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

hodie said,
I agree hodie. I like Ann, she is good looking and seems like a very nice person. Ditto for Meredith Viera. Nice looking and comes across as a very nice person.
Hasselbeck belongs on the annoying list and so does Keith Olberman. I voted for Obama, but Keith is extremely annoying.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | January 30, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I vote for Hasselbeck, Olbermann and O'Reilly. I do think Jim Cramer is hilarious though.

Posted by: snuggie | January 30, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I have to use this opportunity to confess my irrational loathing for the woman in the Room Store commercials... I don't know if she qualifies as a TV personality, but she makes me want to jam a pen into my TV screen...

Otherwise, I'm having a hard time choosing between Rosie & Tyra... They're both so relentlessly self-involved.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | January 30, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Hodie! How about a shout-out to our homeboy Jerry Springer! I thought everyone found him annoying. I'm still annoyed he paid that hooker in Newport with a personal check and that he evidently got a lobotomy at some point. Or was it something in the water? Am I harboring a latent Jerry Springerness in my gene/jean structure?

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 30, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Oooh the Room Store lady, I just want to bash her on the head w/something.

Posted by: jes11 | January 30, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I certainly voted for Nancy Grace, but maybe she doesn't qualify as merely annoying... She may be actively and purposefully evil. I'm pretty sure that she's the only TV/movie personality who I actively dislike strictly because of on-the-job performance. And "dislike" is putting my feelings rather mildly.

Posted by: bobsewell | January 30, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Baba Wawa, is the MOST annoying one. Why is she not on the list!??? Posted by: elias_howe

***

Elias, I couldn't agree more.

Pah-twick, what mi ti say heah to make you cwie? Oooh, I wiw ask you about your dead fa-thur, or, oooh, ooh, how wong do you think you have to la-wiv? Oh, pah-twick, you are cwying.

Posted by: rashibama | January 30, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Hm, can't agree with the hate on the Elisabeth spelling. Elisabeth is the French spelling and is pronounced with a definite "s". But for me, I have to go with Lou Dobbs and sometimes Judge Judy. Holy cow she sounds like she's going through menopause a thousand times over!

Posted by: lafilleverte | January 30, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Rachel Ray is super annoying. Between the yelling and saying "yumm-o", I don't understand how this non-chef has a career. Not sure if this counts, but Judah Friedlander is the turd in the punch bowl at "30 Rock". Also Pat Buchanan. Sour, old and grumpy. Looks like he never knows where he is or why he's there.

Posted by: avidwpreader | January 30, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Someone, please... I can't breathe! rashibama, that was frickin' hilarious.

Posted by: CentreOfNowhere1 | January 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

A thousand times yes to the Room Store woman. Why can't they get her some pants that fit? That gets on my last nerve.

Posted by: petalceleb | January 30, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's another Should Be on the List:

Chis Berman! I just can't tell you how much I hate his schtik. It is so old and worn out. Please Chris, just go away. Or if you must stay, please, do not EVER again do commnetary at a golf tournament. It is so disrepectful to the game. Can't somebody find a video clip of him saying something really disrepectful to an ethnic minority or the the LGBT community?

Posted by: rashibama | January 30, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

"golf tournament. It is so disrepectful to the game"

Hahahahahhahahahahh! Such a pretentious game can not be disrespected!

Elias does not like his good walks ruined!

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Golf and good walks: Never the Twain shall meet.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Elias, the game of golf is not pretentious. A lot of the private clubs, and the members of those private clubs, are pretentious, that's for sure. Anyway, I respect your opinion, since we both agree on Baba Wawa.

What's your opinion of bowling?

Posted by: rashibama | January 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

possum,
How did Springer get out from under his rock? Don't tell me he's back on TV! I can proudly say that I did not live in Cinci when he was mayor. I am not responsible!!!

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

My further comments on bowling and golf.

Jeffery Lebowski is a bowler (not a golfer). Need I really say anymore?

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Katie Couric all the way. I didn't even know how to vote when I didn't see her on the list.
I had to go with Rachael Ray because her evil is so insidious: You could almost think she's okay, until you realize the harm she wants to do to your housekeeping habits.
Petty, I know.
I just CAN'T STAND Katie Couric.

Posted by: otherliz | January 30, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I think Dan Abrams is annoying enough to make it to the top 10.

Posted by: spartan123 | January 30, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Golf and good walks: Never the Twain shall meet.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 3:22 PM
-----------------------------------------

Gawd!!! Phew!!!! Jeeze!!!! Somebody get the Febreeze!!!

Serious recommendation: If any o' you Lizards get the chance to see "Jerry Springer: The Opera,", DO IT.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Sas
Gawd!!! Phew!!!! Jeeze!!!! Somebody get the Febreeze!!!

When it comes to puns, is that an insult or a compliment?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh God, the Room Store lady and her "fancy-shmancy furniture stores"! So much hate. Every time I hear her I want to spike the remote through the screen.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 30, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

You know, the real question now is- why aren't we using the incredible talents these people have to annoy? I bet Rachael Ray could break a hostage standoff in no time flat.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Jeffery Lebowski is a bowler (not a golfer). Need I really say anymore? -- Elias

Man, I just totally don't have a comeback for that. I'm changing my plans for Sunday afternoon. I'm gonna get hammered on White Russians and head over to the neighborhood lanes. The Super Bowl? Now THAT is pretentious.

Posted by: rashibama | January 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Why stop at just one...

The cast of The View
Rosie O'Donnell
Nancy Grace
Keith Olbermann
Glenn Beck
Ann Coulter
Katie Couric
Dr. Phil
Tyra Banks
Rachel Ray
Kathy Lee Gifford

Posted by: floucka | January 30, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Puns are measured on the Phew-O-Meter, running from zero-10, 10 being outrageous stinkers that causes everyone to groan, and then retell at the first opportunity. I giver your Twain pun an 8 on the Phew-O-Meter.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Joy Behar, Keith Olberman, Rachel Maddow, Larry King... I'm annoyed just thinking about them.

Posted by: novany | January 30, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Almost forgot--the free credit report dot com guy (athough I'm not sure he qualifies as a TV personality) is very annoying. As are the jingles he sings.

Posted by: spartan123 | January 30, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

My sister used to WORK with Jerry Springer! At city hall when he was normal...and then he became a very respected TV news anchor. And then he went nuts....like Dr. Octopus when his computer chip got broken...Will it happen to me?

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 30, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I liked the twain pun. I was happy to give Nosy a straight line to work with.

But not as good as the BJ line from yesterday!

(and yes the pretentiousness of the stupor bowl might just outrank golf, maybe, sorta.)

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who this Room Store lady is but I'm glad we don't have her in Ohio.

I kinda like the Free Credit report guy though. He's cute. The commercials crack me up, especially the one when they're in the old klunker car and the girls in the sports car laugh at them.

Posted by: hodie | January 30, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

We have a guy who owns a Kia dealership with a ferris wheel in his lot and features his cute but obnoxious kids in his commercials. He's no Chris Berman, but ....

Posted by: rashibama | January 30, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Hodie - you are lucky - The Room Store lady followed me from DC to Texas!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 30, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Are the infomercials exempt from qualifying? I think not!

I vote for Billy Mays. That guy is the most annoying person on the planet. Oh, and the Sham-Wow guy is rapidly gaining ground.

Posted by: rapier100 | January 30, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

elias
I liked the twain pun. I was happy to give Nosy a straight line to work with.

As if you saw that one coming.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

And, of course, the Snuggies blanket voice over, we don't even see that person but I hate, hate, hate.

OTOH, I would gladly buy a snuggie if I could share it with ScarJo or Meredith V.

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Nosy give old Elias some credit! I knew that someone would pick up on the Samuel Clements reference!

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Two words: Maury Povich (sp?).

Posted by: petalceleb | January 30, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused. I thought Billy Mays was the Sham-Wow guy.

Meanwhile, pretty much everyone on this list (with the possible exception of Jay Leno, but only because I once saw him wrestle a full-grown lioness on his show, which was pretty cool) makes me want to commit acts of violence. What a troupe of asshats. And I definitely agree with the additions of Billy Bush and Billy Mays

Posted by: ASinMoCo | January 30, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

OK, to survive annoying Super Bowl commercials I have a drinking game that will make you so trashed, you won't care. Every time the sports commentators say the word "penetration" or "seam" or "crease" you get to drink.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 30, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Don't know why Jay Leno is on the list. I didn't think that he really annoyed much anybody. Besides Mrs. Howe loves Jay and I like him. Just on too late for ole' Elias. Be glad when he moves to 10 eastern.

(come on people, Jay's bit about Gandhi beating up former gov Rod was hilarious!)

Posted by: elias_howe | January 30, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Petal, when Maury Povich was starting out in TV, he was a young, handsome sportscaster on WTTG, a job he doubtless got in part owing to the esteem in which his father Shirley, the longtime dean of Washington spoprtswriters, was held. Maury also was a co-host of Channel 5's live midday talk show, Panorama. After first one, then the other of Panorama's main hosts left, Maury become its solo host, and did some memorable interviewing work, especially during Watergate. On the other hand, there was the time he returned to the air blushing and totally flustered after the commercial break following his interview with Representative Wayne Hayes' non-phone-answering receptionist Elizabeth Ray, who evidently made Maury an, ahem, interesting offer. (According to allegations by more recent show staffers, Maury may, or may not, have conquered such shyness).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Wait - Maury is Shirley's son? I seriously had no idea!

and possum, I like Soledad!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 30, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"Hm, can't agree with the hate on the Elisabeth spelling. Elisabeth is the French spelling"

fwiw it's also the Welsh spelling. They got rid of the little used letters like 'z' and 'v' and swappped in ones like 'll', 'ch', 'ng' etc.

Posted by: TonyMostyn | January 30, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Shirley Povich got Maury a gig as Washington Senators ball-boy in his childhood.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Or was it bat-boy? Owe, the double-entendres!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 30, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

-- Posted by: Nosy_Parker

Oh my God (yep, the same one ol' Pat said punished NuOH-luns for all the gays and drinking and drunk gays.)
How obvioius.

Posted by: rashibama | January 30, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Bill Orally, as the great Keith Olbermann calls him, is the worst of the lot. His egomania is on full display for all to see and worst of all is his claims to be "watching out for ordinary folks". Dr. Phil is a close second what with his righteous pontificating and the horribly annoying Texas voice of his. Hasselback is pretty bad, but she can't hold a candle to these two.

Posted by: jsquires | January 30, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

I would never shop at The Room Store because of that woman. I mute the commercial when it comes on. I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one with these strong feelings.

Posted by: yeswecan3 | January 30, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Nancy Grace before I saw the Lou Dobbs write-in. I don't know if it's his policies or, more likely, those tiny lower teeth.

Posted by: dottie_b | January 30, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Campbell Brown! Her voice is so high and screechy! (If she has a cleft palate, I sincerely apologize.)

Posted by: dottie_b | January 30, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

I think the Sham-WOW guy's name is Vince or something. Have you seen his new informercial? Someone figured out a way to repackage the old Vegamatic, and Vince is out there shilling for them now.

Posted by: WasatchTom | January 30, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I know he hasn't gotten a lot of votes here, so he probably doesn't deserve to be called the MOST annoying person on TV, but I haven't been able to watch Leno for years now. The funny thing is that I used to love him when he subbed for Johnny. As soon as he got the Tonight Show gig for himself, however, he got too full of himself and lost a lot of what had made him funny in the process.

Posted by: WasatchTom | January 30, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

And ditto on the Room Store gal! And there's another one - that brunette on the insurance commercials - really dumb, really ugly, really annoying!

Posted by: dottie_b | January 30, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I think Soledad is like Scarlett Johhansen clone, as placticated on Rhein River in hometown of Helmut Kohl, my most repected relative from Germany. Some years back, ve was sitting in the weinstub drinkihng the neu wien and thinking, what would Scarlett do? and suddnely, Hans lookt at me and sait...I know! She iss clonevomen! and she vil be Scartlett! And ther vas much dancing and drinkin and makin to the cupboards in great zelbrations of impunity! And all vill be well!

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 30, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

And Elisabeth Hasselbeck was a nice Polish Catholic girl before she was "saved".

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 30, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

This article gets Liz Kelly on my "Most Annoying "Reporter"" list. Catty much?

Posted by: zukermand | January 30, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

This article gets Liz Kelly on my "Most Annoying "Reporter"" list. Catty much?

Posted by: zukermand | January 30, 2009 10:39 PM

Is Liz Kelly really a "reporter". What does she put on her tax stuff as her occupation? What is her offical job title?

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 2, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

What about Chris Matthews?

Posted by: bleahy | February 2, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

All of you bamas forgot Morton Downey Jr.

So, I say to you all:

ZIP IIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: bs2004 | February 2, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

There's also Mrs. Kravitz from 'Bewitched.'

Posted by: bs2004 | February 2, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I too nominate the arrogant, bigoted Sean Hannity!

Posted by: linda21 | February 4, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse