Posted at 7:06 AM ET, 01/ 7/2009

Morning Mix: Another Baby Girl for Affleck and Garner

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Patrick Swayze says cancer has put him through "hell"... Baby girl for Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck... Jamie Spears becomes permanent conservator for daughter Britney... Friday memorial service set for Jett Travolta; Lisa Marie Presley asks public not to blame Scientology for death... Princes William and Harry get their own staff... John Waters advises Barack Obama to make heterosexual divorce illegal... Alyssa Milano engaged to agent... Craig Ferguson marries longtime girlfriend... Mickey Rourke signs on to Sylvester Stallone action film... Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton found dead... Did Owen Wilson's watch save his life? Rolex thinks so... Unwitting Jamie Lynn Spears decoy threatens to sue LAX police department.

Pix: Beach babes Martin Short and Steve Martin.

Crime Watch: Prosecutors drop charges against Josh Brolin and Jeffrey Wright in Louisiana bar brawl; video shows tasers and pepper spray used on actors by police... Rip Torn pleads not guilty to drunk driving charges... Amy Winehouse drops appeal on Norway drug possession charges... Prosecutor says Roman Polanski must appear in person to request charge dismissal.

Say WHat?
"Quite an actor, Sean Penn. And not an a-hole like Russell Crowe." -- Josh Brolin on his "American Gangster" co-star.

By Liz Kelly  | January 7, 2009; 7:06 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Webby is... 'Real Housewife' Kim Zolciak? (Who?)
Next: Angie vs. Jen: Brad Pitt Weighs In. Again.

Comments

well i hope ferguson's gf wasn't too 'longtime' of a girlfriend - since she looks what - 17?

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | January 7, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Mickey Rourke needs a make-over. Stat.

Posted by: MILW | January 7, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Barbara Walters, Great Journalist: getting the scoop that cancer is a nasty illness. Way to dig, Scoop.

Jett, was your father as bold as the Sgt.-Maj.?

R.I.P., Ron Asheton.

That piece of unmitigated flackery from Melrose Jewelers ("USA's #1 Online Rolex Watch Retailer") demands to be memorialized with a timepiece of its own. I hereby suggest the Rolex Owen Wilson Suicide Watch.

"Prosecutors drop charges against Josh Brolin and Jeffrey Wright..." It's like they say: There's never a cop around when you need one, and when there is one around, he's tasering a guy who's already subdued, or shooting a kid in the back on a subway platform, or raping you with a broomstick.

Appear in person? Polanski may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

td (yesterday)
For anyone still around, Bonnie Hunt and Niecy Nash's version of RHOA:

I've never seen any of the Real Housewife franchise, td, but judging by this parody it's gotta be one of the biggest trainwrecks on TV. Ever. Thanks for the public service of saving us from having to use additional brain bleach (sort of like Pookie's "We Watch So You Don't Have To" blogs).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

If only I'd invested in a Rolex instead of a Timex, I might still be around today. O the huge vanity.

Posted by: kbockl | January 7, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Alyssa Milano engaged to agent.

Couldn't this make their subsequent divorce kind of messy? Better not to mix business with, um, business.

Speaking of divorce, besides the abolition of heterosexual divorce on grounds of the supposed sanctity of heterosexual marriage (citing Brit-Brit's first wedding), John Waters also advocates "an all volunteer army of lesbians. Believe me. They could find Bin Laden. I promise you." And he advocates rewarding welfare recipients thusly: "If they make $25 extra over their check don't deduct it or cut them off - give them twice as much plus welfare and then they learn to be ambitious. Otherwise they're trapped and they have to study and spend as much time on failure as they would on success. Reward them. Let them get hooked on capitalism."

Lisa Marie Presley asks public not to blame $cientology for death.

Yup, that Lisa Marie is so knowledgable it's a wonder she hasn't been appointed Surgeon General yet. How about Wee Tom for Secretary of HHS too, while they're at it?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Interesting that, even though the Travoltas are not members of scientology, all the scientologists come out to defend them.

Wait, Craig Ferguson is only 46‽ That man has seen a lot of hard Scottish living.

So, did Owen Wilson forget to take his watch off and it got in his way?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus
even though the Travoltas are not members of scientology

Aren't you thinking of the Smiths‽ Or are you just being humorous‽

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

You are right Nosy, I'm having an off day.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Ben and Jen on the new baby girl. Here's hoping for everyone's continued good health, a normal name and a large exclusive-first-pix check to donate to some worthy charity.

"Unwitting Jamie Lynn Spears double"? I'd go for witless...

The beach-frolicking pic of Steve Martin and Martin Short is remarkably un-scary. Kinda sweet, even.

Posted by: northgs | January 7, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

You know John Waters has a good point about the banning divorce thing. If heterosexual marriage is darn sacred that allowing people of the same sex to marry each other will damage it, then divorce does it a lot more harm. I've also felt that gays and women should be the only ones serving in the military. They are not the ones that pull stunts like Tailhook.

Interesting how Jett Travolta has already been cremated when the death certificate allegedly only says "seizure" as cause of death. It wasn't the seizure that killed him but allegedly the head trauma from hitting his head during the seizure. Hmmmmmmmm. Oh and shut up Lisa Marie. You are so dim you can't even manage to run the Elvis Empire by yourself.

Oh and one final nasty -- Hahahaha Polanski. No one is going to let you skate on a CHILD rape charge while you hide out rich and free in France. You want it to go away, come back and face the music.

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Nice use of the interrobang, nosy.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | January 7, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I've also felt that gays and women should be the only ones serving in the military. They are not the ones that pull stunts like Tailhook.-ep

*******************************************

Wouldn't that just give Tailhook a completely different meaning?

Me personally, I find it funny that when 300 came out, all the big meatheads in the military starting talking about how cool it would have been to be in the Spartan army. I would then tell them that the Spartan army encouraged homosexuality for unit cohesiveness, because you are much more likely to protect your battle buddy. My NCos didn't appreciate me explaining that.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

What no baby name for the Affleck-Garner kid? Please tell me it's not Petunia or Marigold or some other silly flower name.

Craig Ferguson marries. Megan, watch your back. Mimi is not happy.

New marketing ploy: the Rolex Tourniquet. Owen Wilson national spokesman.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Mickey Rourke needs a make-over. Stat.
Posted by: MILW | January 7, 2009 8:39 AM

MILW, Mickey getting a make-over was the problem. What he really needs is a do-over on the make-over, or whatever you would call an un-make-over.

Posted by: rashibama | January 7, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

"The Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner originally was designed for diving and known for their resistance to water.... Obviously, the quality of a Rolex watch helped Owen realize and appreciate the quality of his own life."

Clearly, that line of reasoning was no help for Spaulding Grey. Although, in his case, the watch would have been just fine.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 7, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow.

Spears' dad has permanent custodianship?

Brit must be an incurable looney tunes (as we always suspected but never let on).

Yr obt svt,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | January 7, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

It was the seizure that killed Jett, according to the autopsy. SUDEP, I suppose.

Posted by: sarahabc | January 7, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

mudge
Brit must be an incurable looney tunes

Until Dr. hodie can weigh in more authoritatively, I'd like to say that, as someone who shared responsibility for the welfare of a mentally-ill in-law, the goals are to make sure the person does no lethal harm to themself or others, takes their prescribed meds regularly (with appropriate medical supervision in case changes are indicated), and lives as full a life as possible under the circumstances. This is certainly true for illnesses like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, where the patient may be a highly intelligent, creative person (utterly lovable when their disease is well-managed) who simply has the rotten luck to be afflicted with a debilitating mental illness. With respect to bi-olar, an enlightening (and fairly quick) introduction is "An Unquiet Mind" by Kay Redfield Jamison, a psychologist at Hopkins who is ironically herself bipolar. My hope for Brit is that, with her father's supervision, she's able to be as good a parent to her sons as is in their best interests, be close to her other relatives and friends, work productively (and find it artistically rewarding), and generally enjoy as good a quality of life as possible, while not harming herself or others.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Ack! bipolar, not bi-olar

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Why would like to make a quick aside to say that our Dr. hodie got robbed by not being asked to be the Surgeon General. I'm sure Dr. Gupta knows what he is talking about, but me personally would prefer to have a SG who can throw in a little snark in her Congressional testimonies.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus, I think we have the makings of a grassroots movement here! All we need is a website and the ear of a sympathetic reporter (oh wait, we already have Celebritology!)‽

(Liz, yes, I love to punctuate!)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I would totally take Dr. Hodie for SG over that CNN guy. I am sure Dr. Hodie has seen a patient in the recent past. The snark would be a bonus.

As for Britney, too bad that she doesn't appreciate what her father is doing for her. All you hear are complaints about her life and his control of her.

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

ep

Alas, ep, I wish you were right. One of the symptoms of mental illness can be that the afflicted individual thinks their loved ones are trying to harm or undermine them, when in fact the relatives are doing them a huge (if unappreciated) kindness that's in the patient's best interests. The ill person may not have sufficient judgment at times to be able to realize this, however. It can be a really, really frustrating and long row to hoe.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Alas, ep, I wish you were right.

What I meant was that I wish Britney did appreciate her dad's efforts more.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 12:10 PM

=======
Dr. Gupta currently performs surgery at Emory University Hospital and Grady Memorial Hospital.

This morning, on MSNBC, Nancy Snyderman suggested that one of the deciding factors for Sanjay will be whether or not he wants to take on the Surgeon General's role and get out of active surgery. It's an important decision because a surgeon's skills atrophy if they stop doing surgeries.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 7, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

mdreader
surgeon's skills atrophy if they stop doing surgeries

So does the size of their paychecks.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Does Josh Brolin have some kind of anger problem?

Mickey Rourke and Sly Stallone? An action movie about puffy old has-beens with really bad plastic surgery?

Oh, I *so* heart John Waters. LOL.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 7, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Josh Brolin has an alcohol problem, or actually alcohol/aggression problem. I think he's a fine actor, but anyone who could hit Diane Lane ... well, let's just say I'm very leery of the guy.

Thanks for the note on yesterday's blog last night byoolin!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | January 7, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Thanks everyone but I have declined the nomination to Surgeon General.

I was suprised as you that Barack Obama's second choice should be Sanjay Gupta. The position is as much political as it is medical so I wonder about his qualifications. He is a doc and a reporter. Perhaps the prez-elect only wants a mouthpiece? But like some of his other appointments, maybe he wishes someone without political taint. We'll see won't we.

Nosy, I'm not sure I'm the expert you need to weigh in on the Britney issue (sounds like a legal issue) but I agree with you that she seems to be the classic bipolar patient. Has it come out that that is her actual diagnosis?

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

hodie
Thanks everyone but I have declined the nomination to Surgeon General.

I wonder whether Dr. Izzy Stevens would also decline ‽ With any luck, she won't be nominated.

hodie, I don't know whether an official diagnosis of Brit's condition has ever been publicly announced, but I agree with you that she seems more likely to be bipolar (rather than, say, schizophrenic). A lot of people with mental illness manage to live full lives if they can receive proper medical treatment (not $cientology) and have caring family and friends who keep an eye on them in case they start to exhibit symptoms again.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed that not even wee Tom claims $cientology can *fix* Britney?

Posted by: jes11 | January 7, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone noticed that not even wee Tom claims $cientology can *fix* Britney?

Posted by: jes11 | January 7, 2009 2:01 PM

******************************************

So we can say that scientology is slightly better than Dr. Phil.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Excellent point, jes.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus
So we can say that scientology is slightly better than Dr. Phil.

NOOOOOOO! At least Dr. Phil has a Ph.D. in Psychology.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

mdreader
surgeon's skills atrophy if they stop doing surgeries

So does the size of their paychecks.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 12:37 PM

------------------------------------------
Nosy, would not Gupta be able to drop his malpractice insurance? That would offset the income loss by $125K or so. But yes, highly compensated professionals often take big pay cuts when taking federal jobs. I'm guessing that the pay for Surgeon General is capped at $180K or so. I'm also guessing that Gupta currently brings in $750K-$1M a year.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

At least Dr. Gupta wouldn't have to deal with Wolf Blitzer any more

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 7, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Sas, you'd have to ask Dr. hodie re this.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 7, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but after his tour as Surgeon General, he can go back to being a "medical expert" on tv, and do the rubber chicken circuit for even more than a neurosurgeon makes. That is one of the reasons top people take paycuts for federal jobs, what comes after the federal job.

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Umm let me see if I get this right- Owen is ready to end it all but then he contemplates his quality timepiece and decides life is worth living? Forget therapy and meds- get a Rolex and start living again... wow! Let's hope Rolex does not get into the business of promoting this as a "cure" for depression, etc.

Posted by: plamar1031 | January 7, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The editors missed a golden opportunity for a great headline in the Rip Torn article:

"Rip Torn Pleads Not Ripped"

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

This watch ($300K) probably cures cancer (maybe we should pitch in and buy one for The Swayze): http://www.romainjerome.ch/en/les-inatendus/day-and-night-en.aspx

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 2:24 PM

Sas, if he is paying for his own malpractice, then yeah it will be a savings. If he is employed by his hospital like most docs these days, or part of a larger physician group practice, he probably has his malpractice paid for him. You might be close on his net income or even a bit under, but a big chunk is taken out on overhead and the take home is not quite as much (but still a great deal more than me!). I sure wish they would value us primary care providers as much as they do the specialists. When I still provided obstetrical services as part of my family medicine practice, my malpractice was over 40k, that was more than 10yrs ago. I hate to know what it is now. Needless to say when I went out on my own, I could not afford to deliver babies anymore. Obstetrics is probably second only to neurosurgery (and maybe ER) for cost of malpractice. This is my guess, I did not google for accuracy, feel free.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I still bet that Rolex is a cheaper cure for depression than Scientology.

Posted by: epjd | January 7, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 3:24 PM

-------------------------------------------
Does Rolex make a Resurrection Model? If so, perhaps we could give one to the Lindbergh baby

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

A couple of years ago, ms Snatchquatch and I took a nautical class that included a nerosurgeon among the students. He told us that his malpractice bill was $125k a year, which cost prevented him from gradually easing out of practice. He told us that his options were to remain in practice full time, or quit altogether.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Sounds about right. To break even for the obstetrical part of my practice, I would have had to deliver 20-30 kids a month. No way I could do both a family practice and obstetrics so I had to give it up completely. A sad day because it was usually the part of my practice that was brought the most joy. I continued to care for newborns, however which is also joyous most of the time.
Dr Gupta is correct though, it will be very difficult to go back to practice once his stint as SG is over. He has much to think about.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't begrudge doctors their healthy salaries, but can you imagine what Sas' neuerosurgeon must make a year if he can pay out $125K for insurance and still have enough left over for a nice lifestyle?

sheesh

Maybe we need to suggest that Brit's dad get her one of those miracle watches so he can take a vacation now and then.

As ever,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | January 7, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

A "nerosurgeon," Sas? Maybe his insurance would have been lower if he'd spent more time operating and less time fiddlin'.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Princes William and Harry get their own staff???

You mean to tell me that they've had to share the same johnson all these years????

No wonder they double dated so much.

WILLS: Harry, uh Kate and I would like some privacy for a poke. May I have use of the John Thomas, please?

HARRY: Wills, you are such twit! can't you see that Chelsy and I are already engaged in serious foreplay!?

WILLS: Hand it over, harry. I'm the older brother. I was handling it before you were born.

HARRY: Wills, any solicitor would tell you that possession is nine-tenths of the law.

WILLS: Harry, unless you're nine-tenths of the way there, you better hand it over. Kate's getting frustrated.

HARRY: For heaven's sake, Wills, use a riding crop. Lord knows you don't know how to use it on a horse.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 3:47 PM

------------------------------------------

When in Rome......

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Sas. I wonder if this new "staff" of theirs could alter the succession to the throne (the one where Grannie sits when she gets all dressed out, not the loo).

Pip pip,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | January 7, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 3:50 PM

WILLS: Leave Camilla out of this.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 7, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

WILLS: Leave Camilla out of this.

HARRY: At least SHE knows how to use a riding crop. She tells me that she gets better performance out of Father that way.

WILLS: It's just like you to take the side of someone who rides Western. That's one more reason why I'm ahead of you in the line of succession.

HARRY: But you're behind me in the line to use John Thomas. Which line would you rather be the head of?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Whew, what a thread. You guys are cooking this afternoon. Thanks for the excellent diversion, even if it was slightly hard to follow in not-real time. And speaking of Mickey Rourke (again), he might make a pretty good Surgeon General if Sanjay hangs on to his celebrity doc/journalist gig. Ol' Mick certainly knows a thing or two about going under the knife, not to mention going under. His pecs are impeccable. I think he'd be a good role model for healthy living.

Posted by: rashibama | January 7, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rashibama | January 7, 2009 4:03 PM
====
If going under the knife were the only qualification, we'd have to give Joan Rivers a lifetime appointment to the post.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 7, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah but if Joan were Surgeon General, the only thing she would likely care enough about is getting Ralph Lauren or someother designer to come up with more attractive scrubs and labcoats. But perhaps we could play upon her love of plastic surgery and get some advocacy for children with deformities.

Posted by: hodie | January 7, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hodie,

My condolences for you having to give up your love with women all across the country.

Posted by: mssnatchquatch | January 7, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Craig is 46 and Megan is 26!!!!mmmmmmm! Good Luck you two! Craig, I'm waiting for your new book. You are a great writer-but PLEASE don't quit your day job! You're the best late night guy out there. :)

Posted by: SweetyPy | January 7, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of naming the baby....when I first read the headlines, I thought they had named the baby "Morning Mix"!! I thought, well, whatever, it fits in with some of the other crazy names Hollywood gives their kids! OR I should visit this site more often. :)

Posted by: SweetyPy | January 7, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse