Posted at 7:59 AM ET, 01/ 8/2009

Morning Mix: Lisa Rinna's Plastic Surgery Regrets; Paltrow Defends GOOP

By Liz Kelly

Favorite Leading Lady award winner Kate Hudson backstage at last night's People's Choice Awards. (Reuters)
Thursday

Headlines: Patrick Swayze says he likely has two years to live... Lisa Rinna says plastic surgery left her looking like a "freak"... Beyonce, Jennifer Hudson and Alicia Keys nominated for multiple Image awards... Travolta family to remember Jett today in private service... Michael Jackson moves back to Los Angeles... Gwyneth Paltrow defends GOOP... "Lost's" Naveen Andrews wins sole legal custody of three-year-old son... Britney Spears debuts tricky new single title; Brit and the kids clean up for New Year's Eve... T.I. pays $8,000 in overdue lawyer charges... Larry Flynt sues his nephews for unauthorized use of his name.

Pix: Brad Pitt's February W cover.

Crime Watch: Kanye West's mother's surgeon (got that?) sentenced to a year in jail for DUI.

Rumor Mill: Oprah planning secret inauguration week bash?... Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick close to split, claims tabloid... Did Britney Spears give up custody battle to save her career?... Mickey Rourke in talks to appear in "Iron Man" sequel... Tori Spelling thisclose to "90210" return... Kevin Federline's new girlfriend skipped out on rent... Carrie Underwood dating Canadian hockey player... "Gossip Girl's" Taylor Momsen fails to get noticed in hometown Maryland restaurant... Ione Skye marries.

Say What?
"I know lots of people who take cocaine three nights a week and get up and go to work. But we never hear that side of the story. I wish people wouldn’t sensationalise it. Some people are just bad at taking drugs." -- Lily Allen speaking out for functioning addicts.

Chat Day: After a three-week holiday hiatus, Celebritology Live is back and ready to burn up an entire hour of your work day. The 2 o'clock hour. See you there.

By Liz Kelly  | January 8, 2009; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Angie vs. Jen: Brad Pitt Weighs In. Again.
Next: Truth-Squadding Paris Hilton's Chaste Claim

Comments

Gwynnie feels sorry for us, because we keep getting hit with detrimental energy. Sharon Stone was once quoted saying that GP was raised in "rarefied air". She's right.

Posted by: jelo | January 8, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

KH's thighs are sweating. Bad, bad pic.

Posted by: Guest1234 | January 8, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Patrick Swayze - you just ruined a lot of bets for people in 2009 Celebrity Death Pools.

Won't someone please teach Britney Spears how to smile for a photograph? You can't just stare at her cleavage all day (after 2-3 hours your eyes dry out).

Whatever happened to the old Larry Flynt? When he was mad at you he didn't sue - he just made you his magazine's "A****** Of The Month."

Matthew Broderick wants to sow his wild oats. SJP just wants to eat oats.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 8, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

TO: All Residents of Lizard Island (and you know who you are)

FROM: Curmudgeon

SUBJECT: New Surgeon General Named By Island Chieftan

In a not unexpected move yesterday, High and Mighty Lizard Island Chieftan Dorkus Maximus named hodie to the post of Lizard Island Surgeon General.

Disappointed rumored candidate Sanjay Gupta was reportedly speechless at the news.

Hodie comes to the post after a remarkably successful career delivering cute babies and taking care of sick people.

Dr hodie will be dispensing prescription-only, Chineese made, Owen Wilson style Rolex (pronounced "Lo rex") watches daily at the Island's Tiki Bar clinic.

Posted by: bmschumacher | January 8, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

KH's thighs are sweating. Bad, bad pic.

Posted by: Guest1234 | January 8, 2009 8:52 AM

Copy that. Yikes!

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 8, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Lisa Rinna sort of looks like a chipmunk mated with the Joker.

Michael Jackson could afford to keep Neverland Ranch and he thinks a 100k/month lease is a good idea?

And, because he is still out there, Happy Birthday Elvis.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 8, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Liz- you gotta check out this link to dlisted...the venom towards Gwen and GOOP is visciously fantastic.

Posted by: skitch00 | January 8, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey, sorry I missed yesterday's party. You all were on fire!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 8, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Ione Skye?! Haven't seen her name in a while. Congratulations and best wishes on the wedding. Just tell me we're not going to see "Razor's Edge 2" anytime soon. Crispin Glover scares me.

Tori Spelling -- I saw an old 90210 episode the other day (bizarre plotline where David shot some blonde in the arm by accident) and Tori had dark hair, dark lipstick, and almost looked good. Then I remembered who it was.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 8, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

This is for the 'Lost' fans out there, the rest of you may talk amongst yourselves.

Naveen Andrews little boy may be the cutest kid I've seen all year!

Back to our regularly scheduled snarking...

Wait a minute, K-Fed's girlfriend not deserves mention in Celebritology?!? Unless she's dropping another one of his kids I don't want to know.

Posted by: jes11 | January 8, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

The "secret black hole" under the Capitol is also called the Visitors Center. Oprah has not built a secret compound somewhere in space because she thinks she is Emperor here.

Underwood dating a Canadian hockey player? Is there any other kind?

Maybe we could start our own A****** of the Month designation. Never mind, Larry Flint would sue us.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 8, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Well, now Mickey Rourke is all hot again. This must give hope to D-listers everywhere.

Posted by: 44west | January 8, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

not deserves

Posted by: jes11 | January 8, 2009 9:58 AM

That was supposed to say now. Preview is my friend and I should invite it to the party more often.

Posted by: jes11 | January 8, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

With the same historical perspective most Americans have, I would like to nominate Lily Allen for A****** of the month. I suspect the term "functioning addict" has a somewhat broader meaning in Hollywood than it does here.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 8, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

And I guess based on that pic, Kate Hudson would be A** of the Month...

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 8, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Underwood dating a Canadian hockey player? Is there any other kind? -reddragon

*******************************************

No, there really isn't any other kind. My money is that soon we'll see Jessica Simpson wearing a "Real Women Date Football Players" shirt.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 8, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Kate Hudson's dress makes her look like Queen Latifah gave her a (behind)transplant.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | January 8, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 8, 2009 10:09 AM

***

What Jess doesn't know is that the equivalent t-shirt for men says "Guys Will F*** Just About Anything."

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 8, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

And I guess based on that pic, Kate Hudson would be A** of the Month...

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 8, 2009 10:08 AM

Watch your back, Liz Taylor!

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 8, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Wow! That comment board on Dlisted about GP is insane! It makes our snark seem providential.

Posted by: jelo | January 8, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Of all the things on that face to be worried about, Lisa Rinna obsesses about her CHEEKS?

Posted by: jaybbub | January 8, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Point taken about Oprah, reddragon1. I still think she's up to no good regarding the Inauguration. So I am staying far from DC for the rest of the month hunkered down with my emergency supplies (per ready.gov) just in case the Capital dome takes off like a spaceship and sends the Earth spinning off its axis. (Better safe than sorry.)

As for the hockey players of the world, I'll defer to a more knowledgeable Lizard (who, I'm surprised, hasn't comment yet).

Sarah Jessica Parker keeps getting thinner, Matthew Broderick keeps getting larger. They look more and more like a "10" walking down the street.

Brad Pitt is aging well. Damn him.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 8, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

But Jessica dates a Dallas Cowboy, not a football player.

Y'all may add "mere" to that sentence, if it makes you feel better.

Posted by: northgs | January 8, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Oprah must be stopped! All these people heading to DC for the Inauguration have no idea that she's going to open up a secret black hole underneath the Capitol building that will carry everyone away to her secret compound somewhere in space where she is Emperor. Don't say I didn't warn you."

So *that's* why they're closing all the bridges. You'd think they'd do more than that, and start now -- Just because she's put the weight back on doesn't mean she's too slow to outwit the border guards.

Posted by: memphis1 | January 8, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Brad Pitt has pores! He's just like us!

Posted by: memphis1 | January 8, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

A sample of some of the heckling Mike Fisher's been getting from the cheap seats for dating Carrie Underwood:

1 - Hey, Fisher! What's your girlfriend got in common with your team? They both can't skate and the both SUCK!

2 - Hey, Fisher! What's the matter, did Elisha Cuthbert say 'no'?

3 - Hey, Fisher! You've only got three goals this season but it's nice to see you can score with the farm team!

4 - Hey, Fisher! The coach said to "keep your eye on the "stupid *PUCK*"!

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 8, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Kate Hudson must be the new "face" of Depends, the reliable undergarment.
As for our new watches, if I wear it and decide to slit my wrists, will it tinkle and say, "The little watch fairies say NO! Go immediately to the Tiki Bar and all will be well"?

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 8, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Gwynnie the Poo said:
"I think part of the problem is people get a hit of energy when they are negative about something, and it is a very detrimental way for them to get that hit of energy. They do not understand why they do not have a happy life. That kind of stuff is just noise to me. I just feel sorry for them."

What the interviewer left out was "You see, I have this waterproof Rolex watch that reminds me of how lucky I am to own such quality craftmanship."

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 8, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to give props to Liz for the terrible photo of Heigl on the main page. Well played.

Posted by: Wikijen | January 8, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Hey, GOOPgrrl. Just because I might be "negative" (says you) "about something" does not mean that I "do not have a happy life." Don't "feel sorry" for me, feel sorry that you have the depth of a dime and even less awareness about real people, the vast majority of whom were not born into wealth.

Sheesh, what an annoying Pollyanna. Someone needs to steal her Oscar and give it to Cate Blanchett for "Elizabeth" as they shoulda done ten years ago.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 8, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, MSN.com's gossip section yesterday reported that - wait for it - George Clooney and Paris Hilton were spotted together twice in LA and that there was flirtation, even speculation of a hookup.

Surely this pairing must be the final sign of the imminent arrival of the apocalypse.

We need horrifying details, please.

Posted by: NW_Washington | January 8, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Possum, w/ or w/o slitting of wrists and w/ or w/o the Rolex Owen Wilson Suicide Watch, going immediately to the Tiki Bar is always a good idea.

This message brought to you by the Rolex Owen Wilson Suicide Watch. The Rolex Owen Wilson Suicide Watch: you'll know when it's time.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 8, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

NW_Washington, check out Monday's main post. One thing I've noticed is that Liz Kelly provides links to things about two to three days before stories reach the bigger sites.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 8, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 8, 2009 11:10 AM

The Timex Owen Wilson Suicide Watch: they take a licking and keep on ticking...

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 8, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Mickey Rourke reminds me of when Al Pacino acted the part of the Devil in Devil's Advocate. Without the acting part.

Posted by: reddragon1 | January 8, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Kate Hudson looks like she is wearing a fat suit in that photo.

Posted by: buffysummers | January 8, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

"Brit and the kids clean up for New Year's Eve" -- what a tease. I was hoping it was a photo of Britney in a housecoat pushing around a Dirt Devil while saying, cigarette dangling from her mouth, "Jaden, move the coffee table. Mommy needs to vacuum near the Grammy cabinet before the ball drops."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 8, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 8, 2009 11:55 AM

And no talking during my stories!! LOL! And what's up with the pacifier in the kid's mouth? Pacifiers haven't been PC for years.

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 8, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Props to Lisa Rinna for admitting to her surgery mistakes, that's more than most celebutards do.

Mickey Rourke seems to be getting a lot of grief these days, some deservedly so, but I still love him. Yeah he went all wonky & derailed his career w/bad marriages, drugs, boxing, bad plastic surgery, etc. but he seems to have gotten "Tarantinoed" & seems to be making a decent comeback. Just as long as he stays away from Eddie Murphy/Travolta territory in his movie choices he'll be fine.

There's sooo much I wanna say about Gwennie's GOOP but I just don't have the time or inclination to do so right now.

Someone should tell Lily Allen that the jails, rehabs & graveyards are FULL of people that thought they were "functioning addicts." Apparently she's never watched "Intervention."

Speaking of voyeuristic TV shows, pleeease tell me that someone else here (Liz maybe?)is watching that grand trainwreck called Rock of Love Bus?!?!

Posted by: wadejg | January 8, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Jez, where'd you ever get the idea that Brit's PC? Snort.

Two little words to byoolin: Chris Chelios.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 8, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I'm late guys. I was hit by a burst of detrimental energy.

As far as Swayze's prognosis of 2yrs, seriously doubt it. I would keep your bet byoolin. (Sorry jaybub). I would also put Steven Jobs on your watch list. He too had pancreatic cancer resected several yrs ago (a miracle he is still alive) and now he has shown a dramatic wt loss. He is denying he has serious illness but you know what that means.

Did Britney give up custody of her children to save her career? You aren't suggesting that she did it because it was good for the kids are you?

Taylor Momson (whoever she is) failed to be recognized in her own hometown. Could this be a the definition of a Z-lister?

Posted by: hodie | January 8, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mudge for the announcement. You are all invited to the Lizard Island inaugural ball.

Posted by: hodie | January 8, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wadejg | January 8, 2009 12:20 PM

******************************************
I admit, I am watching. It is more skantastic than ever, although I was impressed with Bret for not taking Nikki ("DJ Lady Tribe") or Gia on the bus with him.

Posted by: SugarMagnolia22 | January 8, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Kate Hudson is not fat, she is just protecting herself from diabetes.

Underwood is a sports **ore. Who knew? Just don't date Sean Avery formally of the Dallas Stars.

Yes, I caught that put down of the Cowboys. Once Oprah leaves town and it is safe to come out again, I will be over to discuss it.

Posted by: epjd | January 8, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Whats-her-name from that show, you know the one, was seen in Rockville, but nobody was really interested in her. Big deal. I did not realize anyone actually went to that Clyde's restaurant in the first place. I thought everyone was like me and had horrible service the first time they went and never went back.

Posted by: ThatGuy1 | January 8, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Paris Hilton and George Clooney are "just mostly kissing".

Well, I have no idea who Taylor Momsen is, so I'm guessing he or she would fail to get recognized by me here in California, too.

Didn't Lisa Rinna already come out awhile back with the freak story? Old news?

TMI, Brad. We don't want to know that you took nudie photos of Angelina!!! Brain bleach!!

Posted by: Californian11 | January 8, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson moved back to L.A.? Who let him in? Maybe there's something to that whole concept of a border fence after all.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 8, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Ep, don't worry, I'm an honest Giants fan - the Eagles are likely to beat you to whatever "discussion" you feel is merited.

Posted by: northgs | January 8, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

2007: Lisa Rinna looks like a freak. And in other news, there is ground beneath your feet and sky above.

2008: Lisa Rinna looks even more like a freak. What on earth possessed this woman to look in the mirror and say, "I think I need my cheeks done." She should be avoiding mirrors at all costs anyway.

Interesting analysis of the cover shot of Pitt in that article--but I still think he looks terrible in it. Fine, don't photoshop away all wrinkles etc to perpetuate the pretty-boy look, but to light and photograph him in such a way that makes him look uglier than he is is just as dishonest.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | January 8, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Say, Doc Hodie (which sounds like it could be a line from "Gunsmoke," doesn't it?) if I take your advice about Swayze and/or Jobs and they *don't* die this year, is my lost Dead Pool bet covered by your malpractice insurance? (Not that I'd sue - I'm just concerned that if it only covers leaving sponges and scalpels inside people, you're getting seriously hosed.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 8, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, I think I would have to get a special rider for that.

Posted by: hodie | January 8, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else catch the story on today's "Day to Day" on NPR re the nanny-to-the-rich in Hollywood who farmed her charges out to a $10/day unlicensed childcare house? Here's the transcript:

Hollywood Nanny's 'Child Dumping' Scheme Unravels

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 8, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

What is the deal, please, with the triangle that is Naveen, Barbara and the baby mama? Was the baby mama around pre-Barbara Hershey (because I thought they had been dating for quite a while), or is this some kind of surrogate gone wrong? Just curious.

Posted by: msame | January 8, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Taylor Momsen is a female? Who knew?

Posted by: bobsewell | January 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Crocodile tears alert: "Cruise Calls Travolta Tragedy 'Horrific,' Defends Scientology: Tom Cruise Makes First Public Statement About Jett Travolta on ABC's 'The View'"

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 8, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Here's one of my favorite parts of the article, from an expert on alternative religions:

"A Scientology funeral is likely to emphasize the movement of the thetan from attachment to this body to attachment to another body," [he] added. "The hope is that the thetan will come back in better times, with a better body, with a better spiritual nature."

After the funeral, it's likely the organization will ask Travolta, his family and Jett's caretakers to undergo evaluations to banish any ill feelings about the tragedy.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 8, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

For which they will be heavily charged.

Posted by: epjd | January 8, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm kinda embarrassed that I know this, but I've always liked Barbara Hershey so there you go. msame, as I understand it Naveen & BH have indeed been together a long time; he has reportedly been pretty consistently unfaithful but they stay together. However, the baby with the other woman was conceived "during a short break" in their relationship. (He appears to have gotten busy pretty darn quick during that "break".)

(Echoes of the Ross character on Friends shouting "We were on a BREAK!!!!") ...

Posted by: Californian11 | January 8, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse