Posted at 8:20 AM ET, 01/19/2009

Morning Mix: Patrick Swayze Released from Hospital

By Liz Kelly

Jennifer Lopez and husband Marc Anthony arrive at the Latino inaugural gala, 'Celebrando El Cambio - Renewing America's Promise,' at Union Station on Sunday. (Getty Images)
Monday

Headlines: Patrick Swayze released from hospital... From Bruce Springsteen to Tom Hanks, stars honor Obama at inaugural kick-off concert... Nude photo of 20-year-old Madonna expected to bring $20K at auction; poses for risque new promo shots... Tom Hanks calls Mormon Prop 8 backers "Un-American"... PETA drops investigation into Beyonce's allegedly abandoned shih tzu... Amy Winehouse says she won't let husband divorce her... Sam Rockwell signs on to "Iron Man" sequel... Play producers file complaint against Jeremy Piven... Liam Neeson defends New York's horse-drawn carriage industry... Johnny Knoxville blames "wardrobe girl" for putting grenade in his luggage... Christopher Walken interviews Mickey Rourke.

Pix: Scarlett Johannson channels Monroe in new D&G ad.

Crime Watch: Boy George sentenced to 15 months in jail; fears he'll be killed in prison.

Rumor Mill: Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz to guest star on "CSI:NY"... Johnny Depp and Vanessa Paradis to wed in April?... Britney Spears forced to re-record explicit song... Even Chris Martin hates wife Gwyneth Paltrow's GOOP, says source.

Say What?
"It's natural and I feel completely comfortable. In a twisted way it's like kissing a family member." -- Leonardo DiCaprio on his comfort level with "Revolutionary Road" co-star Kate Winslet.

By Liz Kelly  | January 19, 2009; 8:20 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Impact Film Fund Party: Fact vs. Fiction
Next: For Joaquin Phoenix, a Bad Rap

Comments

Liz do you get some sadistic pleasure out of showing us those images of Madonna?

Oh, well at least you gave us a Scarlett Johansson pic. All is forgiven.

Sounds like Chris Martin needs to go and hide in his panic room.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse says she won't let husband divorce her.

Amy, dear, I think admitted adultery is pretty much legal grounds for a divorce, if Blake wants one. And face it, you're not THAT much of a prize.

stars honor Obama at inaugural kick-off concert...

...while I listened on NPR in the warmth of my own home with plenty of seating and no advance arrival or security inspections necessary, no crowds to combat when everyone left simultaneously afterwards. Oh yeah, two bathrooms, no waiting. Soprano Renée Fleming was sublime on "You'll Never Walk Alone," a song I normally hate for being so saccharin. And Pete Seeger's rendition with Springsteen of "This Land Is Your Land" was pure joy: considering Seeger's blacklisting during the McCarthy witchhunt era, he's seen and experienced so much history.

Why is the photo accompanying the first item a recent head-shot of her in the green-muppet dress? Because the Post is a family newspaper, I guess. Re the second item, Madge, you look great for 50 but you're not in Kansas anymore, so grow up and act your age.

Patrick Swayze released from hospital.

Hope it's because he's is doing better, not that other scenario. Best wishes to The Swayze!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

dorkus - i had a similar reaction... omg - madonna - no... just... oh god... please stop. for the love of kaballah stop... it's bad enough when the 30-something girls are trying to look 18, but these shots are like grandma trying to be sexy and just managing extremely creepy instead.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | January 19, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Dorkus. Hope it's a lot warmer in Texas than it is up here. Brrrr!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Mornin' Nosy, it's a beautiful sunny mid-fifties morning here.

By thew way Liz, did you and Jen get overtime for working so much this weekend?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

beautiful sunny mid-fifties morning

(sob)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Sending my love to The Swayze. He's a fighter!

Will Madonna PLEASE, PLEASE go away now? We've all had more than enough. What used to be edgy and entertaining is now just icky and pathetic.

Posted by: jaybbub | January 19, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Nosy, HBO was kind enough to unscramble their signal, so I got to watch the concert. I felt bad for the Army Sargent that messed up the National Anthem at the end, though not terribly bad, I've heard worse (not including Rosanne Barr). I don't know if HBO is just doing this with DishNetwork or with all cable/sat. services, but it looks like they're doing it again tomorrow night, if anyone wants to catch it.

Those Madonna photos are truly disturbing.

Posted by: milesdy | January 19, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

(Concerning the Madonna pix)

To paraphrase Rick Blaine, "We'll always have ScarJo."

As for the rest of the items today, I got nothing.

I am curious about the connection between the Lindberg baby and the goings on in the Hudson river last week though....

Posted by: elias_howe | January 19, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Elias, did you catch the speech by Larry the Goose on SNL's Weekend Update this past Saturday? Two sides to every story.

Seriously, though, Sully Sullenberger and his flight crew are my new heroes.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

milesdy, thanks for the tip re unscrambled HBO. The National Anthem is a b!tch to sing (yet another argument in favor of switching to "America the Beautiful").

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

No, missed SNL but I will note that Sully said he could not make it to Jersey (or did not want to????)

Posted by: elias_howe | January 19, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Elias, I gathered that with both engines on Sully's plane dead, he was essentially flying the world's heaviest glider. The blackbox recorders reportedly support his account of events:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Glad the Swayze is out of the hospital.

Madonna, if there are before photos of you out there were you look good, do not take after shots. Use some common sense girl. You are just asking for unflattering comparisons.

The Star Spangled Banner is supposed to be sung much more quickly than it is. If you go fast enough, the screw ups don't show. Of course, everyone has to add their little flourishes to make it worse.

Posted by: epjd | January 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"No, because we are Canadians." Larry the Goose

Posted by: elias_howe | January 19, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

ep, I too deplore the tendency to sing the Star Spangled Banana so slowly, and with gratuitous flourishes. After all, the melody was an English drinking song:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I was impressed that Obama and Biden started yesterday with a visit to Arlington Cemetery, to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Perspective...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

The only truly good "flourished" version of the Star Spangled Banner was Marvin Gaye's version. Other than that I'm in favor of just singing it as it is written (but I sing bass so what would I know).

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

My favorite "Star Spangled Banner" is sung by Rick Moranis channeling Mel Torme. Everyone should sing it like that.
Thanks Liz for the wonderful Mickey Rourke interview by Christopher Walken. I really enjoyed it...but the photographs will give me nightmares. After that, no WAY am I even looking at Madonna's....anything.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 19, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

So funny that you are talking about the fast Star Spangled Banner - went to a college basketball game on Saturday and it was seriously the fastest version I have ever heard - but perhaps the kids at Texas A&M know how to do it right!

Wish I (and Dorkus) could send the warm weather to you all for tomorrow if you are going to be standing out in the cold for hours!!

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 19, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

but perhaps the kids at Texas A&M know how to do it right!-suzannepdc

*******************************************

We'll just pretend you never said that.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

suzannepdc
but perhaps the kids at Texas A&M know how to do it right!

Just as long as they're not building a bonfire.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Note to self: Never again go to the Christie's website and search for Madonna. Oh. My. God.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 19, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Guys, this was an Army master sargent singing it, not Kanye. No flourishing, no embellishing. I think he was just nervous. He hesitated just before "O'er the land..." and then he stumbled on "brave". Like I said, not terribly bad.

Posted by: milesdy | January 19, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

We'll just pretend you never said that.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2009 11:57 AM

****************************
Just to be clear, I am NOT an Aggie! :) But am an A&M fan.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 19, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that could eclipse the horribleness that is Madonna is Mickey Rourke in his tighty whiteys. :-P Some warning next time might be nice.

Posted by: wadejg | January 19, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I really think that the current version of Mickey Rourje is really an alien trying to pass himself off as a bad cosmetic surgery version of Mickey Rourke - what happened to the hot guy from 9 and 1/2 Weeks and Diner??

I don't think the pic looks anything like ScarJo.

Best ever rendition of Star Spangled Banner (IMHO) is Whitney Houston's from the 1991 Super Bowl.

Posted by: JLF03 | January 19, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Gotta disagree WRT Whitney, who sang it slow and with melismas up the wazoo.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Leo, I think "twisted" is the key word there.

Johnny and Vanessa, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Oh, Madonna, Madonna, Madonna. When will you realize you are rapidly approaching "pathetic" territory?

Posted by: Californian11 | January 19, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I'm with you re the US Airways crew, and may I also add to my much admired list the ferry crews, fire department crews and police divers who started arriving within THREE minutes of the crash to rescue people before they all got hypothermia. Just wow. I still can't get over those images of a floating plane with people standing on the wings.

I need a serious dose of brain bleach after an ill-advised foray to the madonna link. Revolting.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | January 19, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, you're right, of course I should have also mentioned all those other wonderful crash rescuers.

As a public service announcement for tomorrow:

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts’ Inauguration Day promotion on Tuesday, January 20, 2009, is offering one, free doughnut of a customer’s choice at participating Krispy Kreme locations nationwide. No purchase is necessary. The promotion allows customers to commemorate Inauguration Day by selecting one free doughnut of any variety at local participating stores. On Election Day, November 4, 2008, Krispy Kreme ran a promotion that provided customers with one free star-shaped doughnut at stores nationwide. The Inauguration Day promotion is not about any social or political issue.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Liam Neeson versus Alec Baldwin over horse-drawn carriages? You'll need waders to walk through the horse manure after this match is over.

So the Madonna of the late 1970s was hirsute in her nether regions. Sorry to break it to you, Lizards, but that was the pubic fashion of the day. I could say something about the humor with which people 30 years hence will look back on current fashion trends, but I'll try to be nice [for a fleeting moment].

As for the current Madonna, she at least looks like herself, unlike ScarJo, who looks like she should be working an A&M frat party alongside Joaquin Phoenix in his best Elvis impersonator.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 19, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Nosy, if you're like me you were glued to internet video all last week. This is a good summary of the rescue:

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | January 19, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Say What?

"It's natural and I feel completely comfortable. In a twisted way it's like looking at my family member." -- Sasquatch on looking at Madonna's 1970's photos.

(and leave ScarJo alone!)

Posted by: elias_howe | January 19, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Weighing in on singing the national anthem: It may be difficult for the average person to sing, but the people who sing it at special events are typically professional SINGERS (Roseanne Barr aside, and the Army Sargeant is excused from this rant). This is what they do. Last night I saw the beginning of a football game with my son and again I had to say (and he's tired of hearing it) "why to singers have to make that awful face when they get to the high note? It's not that high!" Not sure who was singing it, and she was okay, but that _face_!

And when they overdo the melismas, it's the worst.

Rant over.

Posted by: mat00 | January 19, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

mat00, I know from personal experience making that octave leap is difficult no matter how much you practice. Of course at sports events, it's all pre-recorded anyways, so I don't know why they make that face.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Just to be clear, I am NOT an Aggie! :) But am an A&M fan.

Posted by: suzannepdc | January 19, 2009 12:08 PM

We'll just pretend you didn't say that either.

The two singers yesterday at the games were Jordin Sparks at the Cards games (and yes, he!! officially froze over) and Martina McBride at the Steelers game.

Sorry about the outcome of that one TD. I really thought they would win. At least you got to start a tizzy on the weekend thread. People were REALLY offended by your advice to celebs.

Posted by: epjd | January 19, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Cruisiness alert:

Tom Cruise says grew up wanting to kill Hitler

SEOUL (Reuters) - Tom Cruise, who fails to assassinate Adolf Hitler in his new movie "Valkyrie," said he grew up really wanting to kill the Nazi leader...

Um, Wee Tom, are you a whole lot older than you claim? Or did you experience this in a previous life? You know that Hitler died in 1945, don't you?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Hmm...maybe Tom's Thetan had a previous life where he grew up wanting to kill Hitler but couldn't b/c every time he told people about his "religion", they laughed and laughed and humilitated him so he wrote a book called "(I can't remember? Dianetics or something?) and then died. And then Tom was born with that same Thetan, and although he doesn't get the whole joke behind the Thetan's making up Scietonology, the Thetan still wants to kill Hitler?

Maybe Tom can make a movie about it.

Posted by: Amelia5 | January 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Madonna: All right, Mr DeMille, I'm ready for my close up.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | January 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey, ep, it wasn't I who suggested the Ravens colors for DC-goers; the credit goes to possum. (Oh well, the Ravens had a great season anyway -- and it's one more reason to hate the Steelers, always a plus in my book).

And possum, I concur that the best "Star Spangled Banner" is that sung by Rick Moranis channeling Mel Torme. "Oh-oh say, can you see-ba-de-ba-dee-ba-dee-ba-dee." Classic SCTV.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 19, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise: Could've been worse -- rather than kill Hitler, he could've said he'd grown up wanting to be the one to start the Stalin purges, exceed Napoleon in height, or introduce smallpox to America 500 years ago.

At least he picked something fairly recent, historically speaking.

The whole thing sounds like he was taking a new Facebook quiz titled, "Who would you want to kill in a past life?" where every result is Hitler.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 19, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the misattribution Possum.

I can't figure out if Tom's desire to kill Hitler shows a stunning ignorance of history (the guy didn't graduate high school after all) or is all part of his belief that only Scientologists can fix things. See, if Germany had just been more open to Scientology, there would have been no Holocaust.

Yes, I know Scientology came along long after the Holocaust. But, if they had been more open, L. Ron Hubbard would have invented his religion sooner and saved millions of lives.

Posted by: epjd | January 19, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don't know about Wee Tom but my childhood dream has always been to solve a certain kidnapping....

Posted by: elias_howe | January 19, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

(and leave ScarJo alone!)

Posted by: elias_howe | January 19, 2009 2:12 PM

------------------------------------------
Take a number and get in line...........
BEHIND me

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 20, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

The Ravens got what they deserved. Screw 'em.... Evermore.....

Go ahead with the Deadskins comments. I don't care what happens to 'em.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 20, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse