Posted at 8:33 AM ET, 01/15/2009

Morning Mix: Swayze Beating Pneumonia; Drunk Calls Brad Pitt 'Ugly'

By Liz Kelly
Thursday

Headlines: Patrick Swayze says he's almost over pneumonia... Jennifer Hudson to sing national anthem at Super Bowl... Mickey Rourke stars in new PETA spay-and-neuter ad campaign... Paula Abdul denies criticizing "Idol" producers... Raven-Symone hosts self-esteem workshop for young girls... Set sail with New Kids on the Block... Guy Ritchie visits Madonna and children in New York... Naomi Campbell settles lawsuit with former maid... Ricardo Montalban dead at 88... "The Prisoner's" Patrick McGoohan dead at 80... Howie Mandel released from hospital.

Pix: Ryan Seacrest tries to high-five blind "Idol" contestant... Victoria Beckham's Emporio Armani underwear ads... Paris Hilton debuts new short 'do.

Rumor Mill: Drunken Golden Globe reveler attacks Brad Pitt for being "ugly"... Kelis and Nas expecting first child... Sarah Jessica Parker wants Britney Spears in "SATC" sequel... Beyonce reportedly abandons dog at record label offices... Will Smith to play Captain Nemo?... Mickey Rourke parties with Bai Ling... Emily Blunt in negotiations to join "Iron Man 2" cast.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for the last Bush administration era Celebritology Live chat.

By Liz Kelly  | January 15, 2009; 8:33 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friday Wednesday List: Your Advice for Celebrity Inaugural Revelers
Next: Insta-Poll: The Curious Case of Jeremy Piven

Comments

Just wondering how we know that Paris's hair hasn't really been that short all along? I mean, we all know she wears some pretty crazy extensions...

Posted by: Osteph | January 15, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Patrick Swayze says he's almost over pneumonia, which is good, since he won't want to pass that on to his new roommate Steve Jobs.

Perchance to dream: New Kids Walk the Plank.

Drunken Golden Globe reveler attacks Brad Pitt for being "ugly", but, being drunk, would still do him.

Mickey Rourke parties with Bai Ling. Let's hope he followed that 'spay and neuter' advice he's giving out...

"Join me at 2 p.m. ET for the last Bush administration era Celebritology Live chat." Shhhh, Liz Kelly! Don't jinx it. If Cheney declares martial law this afternoon, I'm blaming you.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 15, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Of course performing on a cruise ship is not a step back for NKOTB, a step back would involve having fame and fortune.

Thank you Liz, I needed the pics of Posh in order to get the image of Mickey Rourke and Bai Ling making out out of my head.

Does anyone ever wonder if Ricardo Montalban ever said "Yes their real, and their fabulous?"

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 15, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I believe The Swayze's show premieres tonight. Y'all better be watching.

And who doesn't love Jennifer Hudson?

Posted by: jaybbub | January 15, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The promos for The Beast look promising...

Mickey and Bai could be the poster children for spay and neuter....

Posted by: memphis1 | January 15, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Ok, a head cold and late night trivia contests are not my friends today.

Let us try this again....

Does anyone ever wonder if Ricardo Montalban ever said "Yes they're real, and they're fabulous?"

You'd think I was some canadian who couldn't grasp homophones.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 15, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

RIP Khannnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

So that's the reason for Mickey's recent wardrobe malfunctions.

I think that reveler has it twisted. Brad is supposed to become more attractive not less. What has he been drinking?

"Set sail with New Kids on the Block"
I spent time with them during the comeback tour. That's more than enough.

Posted by: petalceleb | January 15, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

"From hell's heart, I stab at thee. With my last breath, I. Spit. At. Theeeeeee" Dorkus, the "fake chest" was urban legend. Ricardo was all man.

'sniff. First Nurse Chapel, now Khan. Who's next?

Posted by: jelo | January 15, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

byoolin

Glad not to be the only one with this fear. Meet you in the paranoia ward, byoolin!

Drunken Golden Globe reveler attacks Brad Pitt for being "ugly"

Consider the source...

RIP, Ricardo Montalban and Patrick McGoohan. You both made show biz a better place.

Lizard trivia question: With what series did CBS replace "Secret Agent"?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

And who doesn't love Jennifer Hudson?

Sorry, jaybub, I doesn't love her.

And as much as I would love to watch The Swayze, my remote control broke and apparently when you have satelitte service you can just go down to Walgreens and buy a new one, you have to have one mailed to you. So there are only 3 shows I can watch: Newshour, On The Money and The Daily Show.

Posted by: milesdy | January 15, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

You'd think I was some canadian who couldn't grasp homophones.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 15, 2009 9:46 AM

****

I can't grasp homophones because I wear those big mitts, but at least my fingers are warm. And nobody ever calls me anyway.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 15, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Dorkus says, "Given the outfits he wears, Mickey Rourke is probably an expert on having cajones."

You would need some big drawers indeed to keep those bronze shoes in. I imagine he has some cojones, too.

Posted by: otherliz | January 15, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Drunken Golden Globe reveler attacks Brad Pitt for being "ugly"

Who knew they let Sharon Stone back this year?

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I for one hope that Mickey Rourke and Bai Ling become an item - it's a sure thing that they will provide hours of entertainment for the celebritology crowd. Think of the fun we'll have analyzing photos of their outfits!

Raven-Symone is a class act, one of the few Disney channel stars who is actually a positive role model for the tween set.

Posted by: newengland1 | January 15, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Note to Mickey Rourke:

Whoever styled you for that ad? Hire them. I could almost see the old you, when you were hot instead of crazy.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 15, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

I was going to say, whoever did the touch up work on the Mickey Rourke ad is due a big, fat raise.

Posted by: pras40 | January 15, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

milesdy, I feel your pain with the remote control. At least you get The Daily Show!

Posted by: jaybbub | January 15, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 15, 2009 9:22 AM

Gotta get up pretty early to beat byoolin to the punch. You took the words right out of my mouth. Lord forbid those two should procreate!

Posted by: hodie | January 15, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

pras40:

Also the photographer. Good lighting and the right static pose makes anyone look good.

I think it's the combo of the big, drapey jacket (reminiscent of this phase - http://ptownnyc.livejournal.com/2008/11/20/ ) and the large aviator shades that hide how much damage the upper half of his face took in his boxing phase.

Mickey Rourke was hot half because of his looks, half because of his I-don't-give-a-!@#$%^&* attitude. The photo catches the attitude and the stylist (and yeah, probably some Photoshopping) maximized what's left of his looks.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | January 15, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

OK, this is my plan for saving our country: while Mickey Rourke is raiding Bai
Ling's closet, we send her over to Cheney's Undisclosed Location and, you know, let 'er rip.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 15, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I was so regetting not getting in on yesterday's MMix commentary, what with the photo of Miss Winehouse crawling around on all fours in search of OPCs (other people's cocktails) and all. I'm thinking today is pretty boring stuff until I get to the video of Ryan Seacrest trying to high-five the blind guy. I swear I almost blew coffee out of my nose. Hilarious stuff.

The Mickster and Bai Ling? Why not? You know, I'm kinda liking the new, seemingly whacko Mick, orange shoes and all.

I just can't bring myself to look at Victoria Beckham's underwear ads. While I think that, really, Men are from Earth and Women are from Earth, I do think she may actually be from Venus. She just totally creeps me out. And to tell you the truth, not sure she has any more legitimate claim to fame the Paris. Really, no more impressive music career.

Posted by: rashibama | January 15, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Love the "Lourdes works a miracle" headline and the moniker "her Madgesty". Of course the rest of the article just rehashed dribble. Why do I fall for it??

Speaking of Madge, just saw another star posing in a Louis Vuitton ad. Any guesses? (no fair Googling the answer).

Posted by: hodie | January 15, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

hodie
just saw another star posing in a Louis Vuitton ad

Give us a hint: Is he or she as leathery as Madge?

Nice tribute to Ricardo Montalban, also a nod to Patrick McGoohan:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

... not sure she has any more legitimate claim to fame than Paris.

I gotta start proofing my posts.

Posted by: rashibama | January 15, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Nosy
just saw another star posing in a Louis Vuitton ad

Give us a hint: Is he or she as leathery as Madge?

I would say no but others may disagree.

Posted by: hodie | January 15, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm late to the Ricardo Montalban wake, but I just have to say, "Hello, I am St. Peter, your host. Welcome to Heaven!"

Well, clearly after the Brangelina snub at the Golden Globes, Ryan will try to get ANYONE's attention. "Yoo hoo! Stevie Wonder! Over here!" "Hey, Marlee Matlin -- turn around and face me when we're live on camera, OK?"

Great news about the Super Bowl national anthem. And at halftime, Jennifer Hudson will be wearing purple and singing, "(And I'm Telling You) I'm Not Losing"! to the delight of Baltimore fans everywhere.

I believe Raven-Symone goes solely by Raven now.

Did someone say Raven?

GO RAVENS!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 15, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Wrong Beckham to have new Armani undie pics of.....should be these instead (just scroll past the stick figure in her undies):

Posted by: wadejg | January 15, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

If Mrs. Beckham is such a "fashion icon," why can't she get her breasts redone? Surely, by now she can afford to.

Posted by: benlurken | January 15, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Well thanks Sarah Jessica, you just ensured I will most definitely NOT see the SATC sequel. Dumpster diving for actresses are we?

Much as I can't stand Paris Hilton, her new 'do is fabulous. I just wish she'd wear it that way rather than gluing on some really bad extensions as she always does.

I sure hope that story about Beyonce abandoning her dog isn't true.

Think those photos of Posh were retouched to hide her boniness? She doesn't look like her usual anorexic-with-cantaloupes-bolted-to-her-chest self.

Posted by: Californian11 | January 15, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Okay, there is NO WAY that is a recent photo of Mickey Rourke in the PETA ads. That looks like it was taken, say, 20 years ago in his Rumble Fish days!!

Posted by: Californian11 | January 15, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

The answer for today's puzzler was "Sir Sean Connery" who had a very nice photo-spread for Louis Vuitton.

Posted by: hodie | January 15, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

If the story about Beyonce IS true, I don't even want to think about the hurt she's gonna get from Mickey Rourke.
He loves his dogs so much, he gave them props when picking up his Golden Globe Award!

Posted by: pras40 | January 15, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Dr. hodie, is Sir Sean wearing his kilt?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Dr. hodie, is Sir Sean wearing his kilt?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 1:24 PM

*******************************************

Not when I'm with your mother, Trebek! Ha!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 15, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

It's 80s day on Celebritology...

Posted by: kvs71 | January 15, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I take it that the fruit basket I'm planning to send to the Swayze should include only apples, let the Swayze's roommate get snippy.

Liz, I think that you left of one "do" ion your comment on Paris Hilton.

Beyonce left the dog with the recording studio because there's room for only one b*tch on her tour.

Perhaps someone could pair up Jonathan Rhys-Meyers with the drunk who dissed brad Pitt.

Byoolin, have there been any calls for Clay Aiken on the homophone?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 15, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Is there a bigger d**che than that Ryan Seacrest? I'm betting that even if the guy could see, he wouldn't high five him back.

I love the producer's line from the Paula Abdul story re: her future w/Idol, "we'll see where Paula's head is at". Geez, let us know when you find it.

Posted by: plamar1031 | January 15, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Re "J.Lo replaces Brangelina at the Globes"

Liz, I inquired of your esteemed colleague Lisa de Moraes during her post-Globes online Post chat on Monday re Brangelina's backing out of award-presenting at the Globes, and the Divine Ms. Pookie replied:

"I'm wondering if Brangelina has some movie deal with Disney which broadcasts the Oscars -- versus NBC which has long-term rights to the Globes. That might have made the difference."

Really? Really??? Stars of non-NBC productions often appear on the "Tonight Show" and Conan, e.g., while stars of non-CBS properties, promoting their shows, movies etc., too.

Liz, could you get to the bottom of this story? Seems like there's a bit more here than meets the eye.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Byoolin, have there been any calls for Clay Aiken on the homophone?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 15, 2009 2:00 PM

****

No, but earlier I heard Naomi Campbell beating the heck out of someone with what sounded a lot like a homophone.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 15, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

TD dear, I'm a little confused. What team are you rooting for again?

Posted by: epjd | January 15, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we could have a Hollywood Homophone Contest.

Khan and Caan (James)or ... well, that's the only one I can think of.

Posted by: rashibama | January 15, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

rashibama
Khan and Caan (James)or ...

Well, there's Didi Conn.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Songwriter Sammy Kahn.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Songwriter Sammy Kahn.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 5:04 PM

***
C'mon Nosy, no fair. That's not a homophone, it's spelled the same.

Posted by: rashibama | January 15, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Kahn, not Khan.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 15, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh my dog ... in addition to being a little slow sometimes, I also apparently have mild dyslexia

Posted by: rashibama | January 15, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse