Posted at 3:45 PM ET, 01/ 9/2009

Patrick Swayze Checks in to Hospital

By Liz Kelly

Patrick Swayze. (AP)

Late word this afternoon that Patrick Swayze has checked himself into the hospital for observation after coming down with pneumonia following chemotherapy treatments for pancreatic cancer.

The president of A&E -- home of Swayze's new show, "The Beast," made this announcement when Swayze failed to turn up at the show's press tour panel:

From UsMagazine.com:

"Patrick has asked that I tell you that he has checked himself into the hospital this morning for observation after coming down with pneumonia," said A&E president and general manager Robert DeBitetto. "As anyone who has had a friend or family member that has undergone treatment for cancer, chemotherapy can take a toll on you[r] immune system. Patrick did want me to tell you that he is very sorry he couldn't be at panel this morning, but he plans to get back to promoting The Beast as soon as he is back on his feet."

On an ABC special that aired Wednesday, Swayze told Barbara Walters that he may only have two years to live.

By Liz Kelly  | January 9, 2009; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Creative Captioning: Surprise! It's Jason Segel
Next: Morning Mix: Globes Redux; Fergie Marries; Kanye Ready for Naked Photo Spread

Comments

As ep noted in her comment on the Morning Mix, this is a common complication of chemo, and is not a good turn of events. Good luck to Swayze. And good luck to my hope of avoiding re-runs of Ghost.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 9, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to the Swayze and Lisa, that his pneumonia will quickly pass so he can resume battling the cancer.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 9, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Here hoping things go well with Swayze!

AND - isn't it also big news that Ryan O'Neal pled GUILTY to drug possession? Perhaps Redmond and Tatum's addictions have a sinister background? I remember thinking that Robert Downney, Jr. was such a loser for his constant relapses until I read that his FATHER started giving him drugs around age 9 or 10. (His father admitted it in an interview). Now I wonder if the O'Neal kids were taught to be users by dad? And what about his lawyer's earlier claim that the drugs were Redmond's?

Posted by: Amelia5 | January 9, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

This is a devastating setback for Swayze. Good wishes to him for a full recovery.

However, I believe in not sugarcoating the prognosis. Most patients appreciate that as well. I do not share his recent "optimism" that he has 2yrs to live. The statistics regarding pancreatic cancer are not in his favor and this recent development underscores that fact. Regardless, I wish him well and hope at least his suffering is minimal.

To lighten up things a bit with a little morbid humor, the good news is that byoolin won't sue me now (see yesterday's thread).

Posted by: hodie | January 9, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Love to the Swayze.

Chuckles to Sas for the Ghost mention.

Posted by: petalceleb | January 9, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Patrick Swayze is fighting a courageous battle against a very nasty form of cancer.
So far, he has not allowed anything to distract him from this valient quest for health.
Pneumonia after chemo is very common; my sister had a bout and remained in remission.
My prayers, as before, remain positive for Mr. Swayze, one of my favorite actors and a man of immense talent and personality.
And, he's a good Texan, to boot.
God bless him.

Posted by: Judy-in-TX | January 9, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Pancreatic cancer has one of the worst survival rates. Most die within a year after diagnosis. The survival at 5yrs is less than 5%. Chemo is brutal, with many complications, pneumonia being one of them. I wish him luck. The new show looks pretty good.

Posted by: jabreal00 | January 9, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The Swayze has already lived longer after diagnosis than do most pancreatic cancer patients. Dr. Hodie, I think that you can rest easy. Byoolin will not be filing a malpractice claim on behalf of his Ghoul Pool.

I must say that I am disappointed in Byoolin. The Ghoul Pool rewards those who go big, not those who bet on sure kills. If everyone in the poll has the Swayze, Ted Kennedy, Steve Jobs and Amy Winehouse, then no one wins.

Then again, some "sure bets" have a way of turning bad. I know someone who took Dick Cheney in a Ghoul Pool back in 2001. Needless to say, that person -- not moi -- lost.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 9, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes to Patrick and his lovely wife Lisa. I hope he pulls through this.

Hope and prayer can help patients. Even if they know realistically the chances, having the strength and will to fight can extend one's chances.

Hate to break it to you Sas, but if it would help save Swayze, I would sit through a lot of reruns of Ghost (as long as they don't interfere with football).

Posted by: epjd | January 9, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Good health & good wishes to Patrick Swayze!
WOLVERINES!

Posted by: pras40 | January 9, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Man this just sucks. I've had too many family members go through this. Keeping fingers crossed for all good folks that have endure cancer/chemo.

Posted by: jelo | January 9, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

wishing mr. swayze and his wife comfort and peace. as my hospice volunteer dog frankie would say to him "i'm with you".

Posted by: frieda406 | January 9, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

May the Lord bless and keep the Swayze's as they walk this journey together. May His infinite grace and mercy shower upon Patrick and bring him healing and everlasting peace.

Posted by: YellowRoseofTexas | January 9, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

frieda406
as my hospice volunteer dog frankie would say...

Hugs to Frankie from the gang at Lizard Island. Keep up the good work.

What a go-o-o-o-od dog!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 9, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Godspeed Patrick. You'll be forever "Dirty Dancing" in my heart.

Posted by: pepicat | January 9, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I lost 2 cousins to pancreatic cancer. One lived 6 months after diagnosis; the other, 3 weeks. It's a terrible disease and I just hope that Swayze will have a good quality of life for as long as he can fight the disease.

Posted by: catlady6 | January 10, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse