Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 01/28/2009

Reality Check: "Housewives'" Alex McCord Still Annoying

By Liz Kelly

Thanks to reality TV, I have not only A, B and C list celebrities to cover here, but an exponentially multiplying list of wannabes spawned by the sweet scourge that is reality TV. Who else have I to thank for that endlessly entertaining gift, Tiffany "New York" Pollard, or the images of Aubrey O'Day's ("Making the Band") fashion fiascos forever burned into my retinas? And without "The Hogan Family" would we even live in a world where Linda Hogan's dalliances with a teen-aged boytoy give us plenty of opportunities for a little snarky fun?

Today, we check in on Alex McCord -- one of the stars of Bravo's "Real Housewives of New York" (returning for a second season next month) -- and her husband, the effeminitely pretentious Simon Van Kempen. You may remember Alex as the one from Kansas who named her sons Francois and Johan and spends ridiculous amounts of money on designer clothes in the hope of eventually shouldering enough debt to be considered a New York society name. No? Perhaps the story about her suspiciously-leaked nude photos of McCord will jog your memory.

It isn't clear, from the scene pictured below, if the onlookers even know who Alex Mccord is, let alone that her kids can order lemonade in French. What is obvious, though, is the revulsion the couple's very presence inspires to anyone within a 10-foot radius:

McCord and husband Simon Van Kempen at New York's Bruno Jamais Restaurant yesterday. (Getty Images)

Is it the over-the-top public display of affection? McCord's Pepto-Bismol hued dress (that doubtless set her back at least a thou), Van Kempen's cropped military jacket (who knew he shopped at Hot Topic?) or perhaps some intangible -- like the acrid smell of desperation -- that has soured these onlookers?

No? Maybe they just learned a new season of "Real Housewives" -- including McCord -- will return to Bravo next month.

By Liz Kelly  | January 28, 2009; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Reality Check
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Brangelina Debut Twins; Joaquin's Rap a Hoax?
Next: Morning Mix: No Wrestlemania for Rourke; Jolie's Backward SAG Gown

Comments

If you're gonna promise nude pics, could you at least link to them?

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 28, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I thought this would be about actor Alex Cord. Never mind.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 28, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'll bet most of us are wearing the same expression on our faces as the woman in the inset.

Posted by: hodie | January 28, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Not since the infamous Michael Jackson - Lisa Marie Presley liplock has a kiss evoked so much revulsion.

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 28, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Scratch that, I forgot about the David Guest - Liza Minelli vomit lollipop.

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Even without context - why are they kissing? - this just seems all kinds of inappropriate. Especially for a snooty Upper East Side French supper club.

Posted by: northgs | January 28, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

But Liz, think of all you still have to look forward to:

"Debt Workouts of the Overextended"

"Real Housewives of the Central Florida Ghost Towns"

"Bankruptcy Lawyer Matchmaker"

"New York with Former Investment Bankers on $20 a Day"

Okay, maybe that last one is a book.

Posted by: 44west | January 28, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Ha, vomit lollipop. Good one, M Street.

Re Alex McCord: That fatty needs to carm down.

Posted by: Caitlin41282 | January 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Everyone's just looking disappointed because he doesn't have his hand up her skirt in a full grope. Also the man is wearing a t-shirt under his jacket.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 28, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | January 28, 2009 11:29 AM

LOL! The woman in the inset looks vaguely familiar. Streisand in her brunette days? The Jo chick from the "Facts of Life"? The tranny in my building?

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 28, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The one episode of this show I watched showed the two of them going to the opera and discussing how her dress cost more than? as much as? the tickets and I kept thinking, couldn't you have spent a *little* less and had your hair done and teeth fixed? Those two things would do so much more for her appearance than any OK-looking supposedly designer dress. And the next day they are all smiles because a photog caught the back of her and the pic makes it into the society pages.

Posted by: tanyaballard | January 28, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

People from Kansas dare to name their kids names other than Billy or Bobby Sue?

What is the world coming to?

Posted by: supersonic1 | January 28, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 28, 2009 12:09 PM

Could that really be America Ferrara with new glasees? Perhaps she is from the cast of Wicked?

Posted by: hodie | January 28, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

having never watched any of these shows, I went flipping past one last night and paused long enough to see that one of the wives and son of another wife were groping on each other.

It was so bad as to not even be train wreck "can you believe these people are real" snarkably funny. It was just depressing. Depressing that these people have money when other folks are losing their jobs, depressing that they are allowed to vote, depressing to see just how shallow, vapid and narcissitic humans can be.

meh.

someone cheer me up, please...

Posted by: LTL1 | January 28, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

someone cheer me up, please...

Posted by: LTL1 | January 28, 2009 12:56 PM

________________________

In all likelihood, the episode you saw was filmed *before* the economic meltdown. So, there's a chance that they now penniless beggars in the OC. Or they were screwed by Madoff.

Posted by: MStreet1 | January 28, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

someone cheer me up, please...

Posted by: LTL1 | January 28, 2009 12:56 PM

*******************************************

LTL, try this...

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 28, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking the woman in the inset looks more like Andrea Martin as one of her old SCTV characters (e.g., Edith Prickley without the leopard hat?).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 28, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 28, 2009 1:33 PM

Bingo!

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 28, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus thank you from the bottom of my heart.

That was pure gold. From Rick G'astly's jeans with a higher waist than yesterdays pix of Jessica to the memory of my sister telling me 'how is this a love song, he says 'then I'm gonna give you up, then I'm gonna let you down, then I'm gonna run around and desert you'... I feel so much better.

*contented sigh*

Posted by: LTL1 | January 28, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

PS Dorkus - I work for the Red Cross and one of our major national suport programs is called Support to Armed Forces. Its a bunch of different support type things for military folk and their families. I work for our Disaster program, but sit right near the SAF team, so you can be sure I'll be thinking of you every day...

Thanks for doing what you do (which will hopefully involve helicopters!).

Posted by: LTL1 | January 28, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh and MStreet - I can only hope!!!

Posted by: LTL1 | January 28, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

LTL1,

Not sure why I'm defending Rick Astley, but it's "Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and desert you." I have an odd affection for that song, that I can't logically explain to myself. I can't look at the link here at work, so I hope it's still funny and cheering!

:) tl

Posted by: talleyl | January 28, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

That chick looks like Mrs. Carmen who drove School Bus 29, wore double-knit pants over her Norge butt and frequently took us down to "Bulldog" the supervisor for a lecture so he could give her a big grope in the bus office.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 28, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 28, 2009 2:34 P

------------------------------------

Possum, that sounds like the start of a good story. Got more?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 28, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

One time some one threw a nail file at the back of her neck (we were almost home) and she turned the bus around and took us to "Bulldog" who yelled at us for about an hour. Our parents didn't know where we were.
She wasn't all bad, though. One year on the last day of school, she let us have a paper wad fight.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 28, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Possum
One time some one threw a nail file at the back of her neck

Ouch!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 28, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus:

Thanks for the Rick Astley rickroll! Love him.

Posted by: JLRGG | January 28, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, I spent only 5 wonderful days in New York last spring and even I know that she could get a better grope in the East Village.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 28, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, I see a trend today with my vocabulary, which leads me to wonder, why doens't some one use "Gropius Maximus" for their handle?

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 28, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 28, 2009 2:34 P

------------------------------------

Possum, that sounds like the start of a good story. Got more?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 28, 2009 2:36 PM

Here, here.

Fugliness must be part of the job description for the bus aides in my city. These cussing bow-wows practically throw the kids off of the bus at the stops. That Darwin dude knew what he was talking about.

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 28, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse