Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 01/27/2009

Spector Trial Watch: Now Hair This

By Liz Kelly

And now and update on a story Celebritology first brought you in 2007:

The forecast for Phil Spector's hair? Continued freakishness with a chance of fake-itude.

The legendary music producer is is in the midst of a retrial on charges that he murdered B-movie star Lana Clarkson in 2003 (his first trial ended in a hung jury in 2007). But the real headline remains Spector's ever-in-flux hairdo, which has has gone way past outré to arrive at the creepy Hobbitt stage. To be precise, he conjures Gollum mixed with a little Bruce Vilanch who accidentally got caught in an aerosol Scotchguarding chamber:

I'll continue to monitor this story as the trial progresses. Review Spector's past questionable coifs in this gallery.

(Photos: Gollum courtesy New Line Productions, Spector and Vilanch - AP)

By Liz Kelly  | January 27, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion, Hollyweird
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Matt Damon to Debate Bill Kristol? Donnie Osmond Set for 'DWTS'
Next: Morning Mix: Brangelina Debut Twins; Joaquin's Rap a Hoax?

Comments

Very scary. Very scary, indeed.

Posted by: hodie | January 27, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Do I have to review the hairstyles? Is there gonna be a test? Because if there isn't, I would rather not. I already have enough nightmares, thank you.

Posted by: epjd | January 27, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Is Phil Spector the celebrity spokesperson for Joi Wigs (DC-area wig firm)

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 27, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Does he have to crate his hair at night to keep it from pooping on the carpet?

Posted by: memphis1 | January 27, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The fact that he says that he considers himself " a little insane" tells you that he certainly is not. I think the wild hairstyles are intentional to give the appearance of mental instability in case they convict him (which I hope they do). Ep, you don't think he can cop an insanity plea do you?

Posted by: hodie | January 27, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Hodie, I don't know quite what the standard is in California, but basically you have to prove you didn't know what you were doing was wrong. Since he tried to cover it up by claiming Ms. Clarkson committed suicide, he knew that killing her was wrong.

Posted by: epjd | January 27, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

If I were Bruce Vilanch, I'd feel insulted by this.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 27, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I think my fave Spector hair-don't is his Hair Bear Bunch look.

That's Spector there in the middle

For those that are too young to remember them:

Posted by: wadejg | January 27, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Phil Spector looks like an amalgam of 1) Martin Short in "The Big Picture," 2) Barry Manilow (pre-"plactaed"), and 3) Peter Perfect. Bizarre.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 27, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

All I remember about this trial is that she was at his house and he allegedly shot her. As such, I keep confusing this tragedy with the legal subplot of "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." So if I mention The Lady Chablis in reference to Phil Spector, please correct me. Thanks in advance.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 27, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

These pictures are weirding me out. He reminds me so much of an old B horror movie villain. You know, the creepy rich guy who lives in the dilapidated house on the hill that you have to take shelter in from a raging thunderstorm, who later tries to put an ax in you. You know, his look is not helping his case any.

Posted by: hodie | January 27, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Further to ep's comment about the insanity defense, most states (including California) require that the defendant 1) be able to understand the nature of the act; and 2) be unable to distinguish between right and wrong. Every jurisdiction I know of requires the defense to inform the court before trial that they plan to raise an insanity defense. Each side then has the opportunity to do its own psychological testing (which universally produces the following results--defense: "He's batcelinedion crazy!"; prosecution: "He's compeletely sane and completely EEE-VIL!").

Contrary to conventional wisdom, insanity pleas are very, very difficult to mount and have a very low success rate. And that's when "success" just means you get to spend many, many years in a state-run mental facility rather than a prison.

Now back to the snarking on Phil's hair, which looks rather like a large rodent died on top of his head.

Posted by: Wikijen | January 27, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

He and Blagojevich should quickly find new hair stylists. The hair makes it seem like they are hiding something (literally or figuratively).

Posted by: kvs71 | January 27, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Facially, does Spector look like Blagojevich's uncle?

Posted by: advocate2 | January 27, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Spector and Blago must have been separated at birth....hint: tree, nest, acorns, bushy tail.

Posted by: possum_pouch | January 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Actually, if I were gollum I would feel insulted by this.

Posted by: jcm4 | January 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Owe, how the mighty have fallen . . .

(I wonder if Phil has fake dandruff, too?)

Philosophically yours,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | January 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Give him a better haircut and he looks a little like Ben from Lost after Saiid just beat the crap out of him.

Posted by: hodie | January 27, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

He looks like one of those troll pencil-toppers we used to have in grade school. Guaranteed his is acrylic, too.

Memphis1, that is freakin' hysterical!

Posted by: northgs | January 27, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I love Bruce Vilanch! I'm w/Nosy, I wouldn't be too happy to be compared with Looney Tunes up there.

Posted by: jelo | January 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Wikijen

jelo, I think even rodents could claim defamation!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 27, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Alfred E. Neuman is a kissin' cousin.

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 27, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

You know, his look is not helping his case any.

Posted by: hodie | January 27, 2009 12:36 PM

His look didn't sink him in his first trial.

Posted by: jezebel3 | January 27, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

jezebel
His look didn't sink him in his first trial.

Not exactly. He wasn't acquitted then, either.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | January 27, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

If I was facing a trial I would not want irrelevancies being brought into the equation and turning the process into a circus before, during or after the trial.

It seems that the Media feels that it is entitled to be irresponsible or, put otherwise, it does not have an obligation to be decent.

Posted by: robertjames1 | January 27, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse