Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 02/ 3/2009

A New Psychic Friend: Vivica A. Fox

By Liz Kelly

I'm feeling super-conflicted this morning. Last year, I was all into Vivica A. Fox's season-long cameo on "Curb Your Enthusiasm." It was the best possible way to mount a comeback (she was arrested for driving while intoxicated in 2007) -- do an edgy show known for fast-thinking improv and totally hold your own with Larry David and J.B. Smoove.

But Vivica just couldn't keep a good thing going and, as you'll see below, she's now followed Dionne Warwick (and Gary Coleman) into the shame spiral that is shilling for the Psychic Friends Network (PFN).

Take note, Vivica -- Warwick was the butt of many jokes for her association with PFN, but most especially when the now re-vivified company declared bankruptcy a decade ago:

The big loser in the demise of Psychic Friends is, of course, chanteuse Dionne Warwick, who's been the key spokeswoman for the network for almost five years now. You might have thought that Warwick would have seen this coming two decades ago. (Slate.com)

The only thing that could possibly be a bigger sign of an imploding career would be sharing top billing with Corey Haim in a straight-to-DVD movie. Uh oh.

By Liz Kelly  | February 3, 2009; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Hollyweird
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Badu Twitters Child Birth; Bale's On-Set Rant Captured on Tape
Next: Morning Mix: Bobby Brown's Fifth Kid on the Way; Kelly Clarkson Denies Gay Rumors

Comments

If only they would advertise on "The Mentalist."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 3, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Or Psych...

Posted by: memphis1 | February 3, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I just finished watching the Little Britian USA dvd and she played the First Lady, it was only for a couple minutes and only in one sketch. Considering some of the other cameos, I didn't think it was a step down, but now I'm reconsidering.

Posted by: milesdy | February 3, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

quick, tell me what I'm thinking....

Posted by: hodie | February 3, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

I like how they referenced the Mentalist on Psych last Friday. :)

So, Vivica, Dancing with the Stars wasn't good enough (or bad enough?) for you? In what color coffin do you want your career buried?

Posted by: eet7e | February 3, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

PFN would also be a natural for "Lie to Me." Who needs a lie detector when you have psychotic....errr....psychic friends?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 3, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The saddest part is that during hard economic times, some people who are already down on their luck will turn to a money-suck like this out of desperation.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 3, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm more concerned about the logo in the lower right hand corner. What on earth is going on there?

Posted by: petalceleb | February 3, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Can't see the video here, but suddenly I am having visions (ha) of a "That's So Raven" episode where Raven is channeling Miss Cleo ("Call me now!").

Can Vivica compare to Miss Cleo? (Or even to the Artist Formerly Known as Raven-Symone?) I kinda miss Miss Cleo.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 3, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we could have Psychic Heroes....

"No! Don't save the cheerleader! She's really a .."
"Kaboom!"
"I knew that..."

Posted by: memphis1 | February 3, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Would she know this was a career killer?

Or if she is not a psychic but a user of their services, would they have warned her this was a bad idea?

Posted by: epjd | February 3, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I think the logo is ejaculating.

Posted by: possum_pouch | February 3, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

madam hodie sees all, tells all,

Vivica, I see it clearly, zee people surround you smiling, zare is much joy, WAIT! zee scene has changed. Now zee people laugh and point, some are spitting on their glowing boxes. Oh Vivica, zee scene has changed again, now zee people walk away. you are crying. Madam hodie sees all. (by the way, Madam hodie saw a similar scene recently with a skinny girl with yellow hair and some goop)

Posted by: hodie | February 3, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse