Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 02/25/2009

Insta-Poll: Pink's Pirate Moment

By Liz Kelly

(Getty Images)

Yo ho ho and bottle of Pepto. Spunky popster Pink yesterday rocked a French audience in Nice decked out in a confusing mash-up of pirate drag gear.

While Pink's torso and head got the party started in a reasonable facsimile of Captain Crunch's uniform, she was all tarted up flamingo from the waist down. And that's not even including the yards of tulle that made this pirate's booty larger than life.

By Liz Kelly  | February 25, 2009; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Jack Black, Drew Carey Make 'Least Fit Celebs' List
Next: Morning Mix: Passenger Alleges Freeman Drank Ahead of Crash; Britney Spears 'Scared' of Lutfi?

Comments

Thar she blow's.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I said 2. In the words of Michael Kors, "it looks like she's pooping fabric." Who dressed her, Bjork or Baz Luhrmann?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Correction:

Thar she blows.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 25, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It does look like she's trying to smuggle exotic birds out of the country. I'm also concerned that she seems to be holding her shoes on with her tights.

Her actual shoes, that is -- sometimes clarification is needed with this group. :)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure she'll claim she's just M!ssundaztood.

Posted by: northgs | February 25, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Who dressed her, Bjork or Baz Luhrmann?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 25, 2009 10:53 AM

Johnny Depp, channeling Liberace.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 25, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

While her get-up would be wacky if she wore it while getting coffee or something, she is afterall, performing on stage (in Nice, France no less -probably playing on the Napolean theme). I think artists/singers, etc. can get away w/ crazy costumes since it is part of the act.

Posted by: plamar1031 | February 25, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

This outfit could have worked if:

1) The exotic birds on her butt were not there; and

2) the lapels of the pirate outfit were pink not orange.

If she did this, then the outfit would be a pirate top with pink tights, and the lapels would not clash. It would be quirky not "OMG what she was thinking" bad.

Posted by: epjd | February 25, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I know her name's Pink but there's a limit....

Thanks again, Liz Kelly, for getting a poll format that I can participate in at work!

Posted by: memphis1 | February 25, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I agree with plamar. Wouldn't be my first choice of things to wear, but it is a concert and she is putting on a show. Compared with some of her other concerts I've seen, it doesn't surprise me, especially for a European concert.

Definitely a hideous getup, but Pink has never claimed to be a fashion icon.

Still adore her, though.

Posted by: eet7e | February 25, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Um - did the celebritology writers skip history class? This costume has nothing whatever to do with pirates. It is the (interpreted)uniform of a Napoleonic soldier, which is appropriate as she is in France. I guarantee everyone there recognized it. Chalk up another one to the failing US school system -

Posted by: KEB1381100 | February 25, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Yes it is a hot mess but Pink will say "So What! I'm a rockstar!"

Posted by: hodie | February 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Outfit= fugly
shoes (the ones on her feet)= awesome and I want a pair.

Posted by: Osteph | February 25, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I get the french napoleon reference. I'm just not sure that it was necessary. Also, is this the best way to make that costume reference? The butt feathers? The jacket that covers to much and yet oddly reveals the arm, but not the wrist?

Posted by: ideallydc | February 25, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

My first thought was Ostrich. Specifically the one ridden in the Swiss Family Robinson.

Posted by: ideallydc | February 25, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memphis1 | February 25, 2009 11:17 AM

Here, here.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 25, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

One quibble I have with Pink (who I don’t totally hate) is this whole “rock star” thing. Since when is she a rock star? When I think rock star, I’m thinking along the lines of Hendrix, Cobain, Jack White. You know, folks who play instruments and write their lyrics. Is Rihanna a rocks star? That Cyrus chick? From the way I see it, rock star is not just about being able to act like a bratty clown, it’s also someone who inspires and is cutting edge in the field of Rock music. Man, they’ve sure watered down the club requirements if it includes a 30-plus year old pop chick who thinks it cute to make a music video that features her being nasty to folks as part of getting over a broken marriage. I’m just sayin’.

Posted by: jinez1 | February 25, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I understand the whole Napoleonic thing but I don't understand the flamingo part. Yes, her name is (allegedly) Pink, but it would have made more sense if she had worn red tights and feathers or whatever those floaty things are supposed to represent.

Posted by: pras40 | February 25, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Elton John has that Exact. Same. Outfit.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 25, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 25, 2009 10:53 AM
=========
Well, if you're going to raise the spectre of Project Runway, clearly, that's a Blayne number if I ever saw one.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 25, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The rest of the outfit is pretty hid'jus even for stage performance (clashing colors, clashing themes, she looks like a flamingo from the waist down)...but that hat is pimptacular. YES.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 25, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

You guys have it all wrong. All she was trying to do is blend Napoleon (the emperor) with a napoleon (puff pastry). On second thought, guess that still doesn't work.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 25, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't Bonaparte of her.

Byoolin, do you suppose that Pink rented the costume from Sir Elton?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 25, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, it's PINK. She's not exactly a "Stupid Girl," ya know? I'd be more surprised to see her in trendy designer wear.

Posted by: PostReader4 | February 25, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I think the costume is as entertaining (hopefully) as her concert is; it's all part of a SHOW.

I also suspect that the poofy pink garbage bag/stuff is actually meant to look more like a skirt (as compared to a tail, as some have suggested) when she's not striding full speed across the stage.

Liberté, égalité, fraternité . . .

Posted by: pfallsgirl | February 26, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse