Posted at 8:07 AM ET, 02/ 6/2009

Morning Mix: Kellogg Drops Michael Phelps; Miley Cyrus Apologizes for Pic

By Liz Kelly
Friday

Headlines: Angelina Jolie asks Thailand to welcome Burmese refugees... Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, and Kim Cattrall signed for "Sex and the City" sequel... Kellogg Co. drops Michael Phelps contract... Pregnant M.I.A. to perform at Grammys on her due date... Renee Zellweger gets Harvard's Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year award... Etta James says her Beyonce bashing was meant as a joke... Vanity Fair digitally alters photo of Heath Ledger... Miley Cyrus apologizes for racially insensitive pose... Bret Michaels says Jennifer Aniston could "rock my world;" says "Rock of Love" is no scam... Wyclef Jean plans to open school in Haiti... John Cleese ex reveals intimate details... 50 Cent wins suit filed by mother of his child... Olivia Newton John sued by Florida couple over failed real estate deal.

Pix and Video: Katie Holmes models for Miu Miu.

Rumor Mill: Audrina Partridge denies dating Benji Madden... Lindsay Lohan moves out of Samantha Ronson's place and rents her own apartment.

In Case You Missed It: Stephen Colbert spoofs Christian Bale, with an assist from Steve Martin...

By Liz Kelly  | February 6, 2009; 8:07 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Lost' Dueling Analysis: 'The Little Prince'
Next: Catching Up with 'Lost's' Michael Emerson

Comments

"Python 'package'" John Cleese feels betrayed because his ex-squeeze is actually 10 years older than she said she is?

Owe, the humanity!

Love,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | February 6, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

What do you think of Stacey Garfinkle's blog today? Is she serious? Do you guys talk to each other? Does Stacey read this blog???

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 6, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Am I a terrible person because I enjoy (guiltily) watching Rock of Love Bus? *sigh

The Colbert Report w/Steve Martin was hilarious.

Posted by: jelo | February 6, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Phelps learns that hash is not the breakfast of champions.

Vanity Fair digitally enhances Heath Ledger photo to make it more lifelike. (with apologies to one Lindburgh baby).

Brett Michaels... can I just say ewwww!

Hodie also denies dating Benji Madden. Am I supposed to know wtf Audrina Partridge is?

Lilo moves out. I can only say, 'bout time, girl, 'bout time.

Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this offer from Bret means that Jennifer has finally sunk to the bottom of the barrel.

Posted by: petalceleb | February 6, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I think Katie's pictures are great! I'm not a big fan, but her pics are pretty.
I'm hoping Etta James was on something when she bashed President Obama and Beyonce.

Posted by: earlysun | February 6, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

The Prez has not named Angelina ambassador to anywhere yet? Must be because she wants to keep making movies/adopting children. (Hey, I know where there will be 8 candidates in a couple months).

SJP et al. will make a new movie I won't see, even though I think older women are hott.

Both Etta James and Miley need to look up "joke" in the dictionary. Miley's faux pas can be attitributed to youth (see Michael Phelps) but Etta is old enough to know better.

Mr Michaels thinks Jen is "on top of her business" and he wants to be there, too. Second the "ew".

Thought the item said "Katie Holmes models muu-muu." Turns out that probably would have been better.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 6, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah! The progress of Lilo's Anne Heche epiphany continues.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 6, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Katie Holmes in those white plastic-frame glasses and up-do looks like an extra from the party scene in the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The DJs one of the rock-radio morning shows here in NYC were debating this morning whether the "ladies" on the Rock of Love Bus are hookers or just strippers. "I don't think he pays 'em for their work on the show, does he?" "No, don't think so." "Okay, so they're strippers." Cut to the traffic report.

Posted by: northgs | February 6, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Vanity Fair digitally enhances Heath Ledger photo to make it more lifelike.
Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 9:28 AM

Too bad Miu Miu didn't do that for Katie Holmes.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 6, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The 2009 Grammy Awards, featuring M.I.A., who is about to give birth at any minute...
Natalie Cole, who needs a kidney transplant... and Travis Barker, who is recovering from injuries he sustained in a fiery plane crash...

brought to you by Pfizer, Novartis and AFLAC.

Now, here's our host, Dr. Sanjay Gupta!

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 6, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey Liz, when will you be posting the Michael Emerson interview?

Posted by: caltexona | February 6, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Octomom looks like she's chanelling Angelina Jolie!! So Saturday Night Live's sketch wasn't that far off!

Posted by: Amelia5 | February 6, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

JOIN KELLOGG BOYCOTT:

Posted by: a_DC_denizen | February 6, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Wait - you're telling me photos in magazines are digitally touched up! Get outta here!

Actually, you know what bothers me about that photo? That VF chose to use Heath Ledger with Christopher Nolan.

Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale (not to mention, Michael Caine) have worked together as a unit over three movies and are moving into a fourth. Yes, Heath Ledger was incredible in "The Dark Knight" and his untimely death was sad, but between the rebooted Batman franchise and "The Prestige", I think it's obvious that Bale is more of a muse to Nolan than Ledger was.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | February 6, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Jelo - Re: Rock of Love, No. I watch too! And I watch the new episodes on Sunday mornings so I don't have to wait to see what happens until they air later on in the evening!

Posted by: suzannepdc | February 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

How does SJP have time to do another SATC movie? Isn't she too busy performing in Equus?

By the by, why do I associate the cast of SATC with the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

Kellogg's drops Michael Phelps, but not to worry, I hear Funyons is offering him an endorsement deal.

Oh Miley, I love when people apology for others feeling insulted rather than apologizing for actually insulting them. Maybe the OCA should have its members wear buck teeth and mullets and take pictures of themselves. Then the OCA can apologize for the Cyrus family feeling insulted as well.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Forget about Vanity Fair making Heath Ledger look more alive. US Magazine managed to find the exact picture of Brett Michaels that makes him look like Jennifer Aniston's uglier older sister.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 6, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks dc_denizen, I am so not eating fruit loopos when i get the munchies anymore.

Posted by: memphis1 | February 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I am so sorry that Kellogg's has dropped Michael Phelps from the Corr Flakes box. I had fun drawing a bog in his outstretched hand while having my morning bowl. I suppose that I'll now have to content myself with drawing psoriasis patches on Leanne Rimes.

The working title for the next Sex and the City movie: "Men-o-pause."

Katie Holmes for Miu Miu. David Bowie for Diamond Dogs. Separated at birth?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 6, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Spell Check:

Corr -> Corn
bog -> bong

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 6, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

With all Tom's money, you'd think poor Katie could at least afford a sandwich. Or twenty.

For what exactly is this Hasty Pudding award given?

Posted by: Californian11 | February 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

In that Vanity Fair photo, Kate Winslet looks like she's a million miles away and trying to escape. Considering she fawned all over Leonardo di Caprio and pretty much ignored her hubby at the Golden Globes, one wonders ...

Posted by: Californian11 | February 6, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I see Wyclef Jean is finally opened the school his charity supposedly opened years ago. So nice when celebs actually get their charities functioning after getting caught that they are not.

I still don't get the big deal with the Phelps photo. It was taken in NOVEMBER. It is now February. Obviously, this is not a common thing with him or it would have come out sooner. In fact, WHY did it come out now?

So, there is a step down from John Mayer -- it's Bret.

Posted by: epjd | February 6, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

So much for that Michael Phelps/Tony the Tiger "Wow, dude these Frosted Flakes are greeeeeaaaaat" ad. Bummer, man.

In 2002, little 10-year-old Miley was probably wearing one of those racist? really? Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirts of the "Wong Brothers Laundry Service."

Hey, Olivia's back in the news! Excellent! You have to believe we are magic. Nothing can stand in her way.

How do you pronounce Miu Miu, by the way. Me-yoo Me-yoo or Moo Moo?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 6, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Next up, Heath Ledger as the Joker dances with a Dirt Devil.

And wait, is that Heath Ledger dueting with Natalie Cole on "Unforgettable"?

The man is amazing! And dead!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 6, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

That explains Katie's weight loss -- she's modelling for Prada. Judging from their ads, Prada designs specifically for anorexics.

John Cleese, I dunno, having your lover tell the world that you've got a nice package and you're in good shape might be worth the hair plug thing. After all, she is a comedienne and your hair has been receding since the Flying Circus days.

And did anyone else read the comments on that LiLo story? Stalker central. Snark is all in good fun, but trying to figure out which house on the street LiLo's renting is downright creepy.

Posted by: Questioner4 | February 6, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

That Colbert Report was a good one. I also liked the "read-off" competition. Steve Martin was good but Stephen was clearly the winner. Hope he gets the Emmy too. Wouldn't be great if Kareem actually accepts it for him?

Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Questioner4, made me look. Liz, if we have to get items from a blog citing a "Lucy Spillerguts," we need new sources (Rumor Mill or not).

50Cent pays "$6,700 a month to [Shaniqua] Tompkins to support their 11-year-old son, Marquise." $6,700 a MONTH for Marquise?! Some diamond!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 6, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

i am never buying another kellogs product again! legalize the drug that has never killed anyone (unlike tobacco and alcohol), let it bring in much needed revenue to the economy bush pushed into depression, and call it a day! we love you michael!!

Posted by: cing123 | February 6, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm in. But I AM gonna miss Cheez-Its & Pop-Tarts.

Posted by: bobsewell | February 6, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm still gonna eat my Cheezits and Pop-tarts.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 6, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

(See, now is where I'd love to be able to comment with the Posted by: luvpoptarts. Sigh. I miss the good ol' days.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 6, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I luvpoptarts until I saw the nutritional label deviousness. Its just too many calories for what you get. The Chocolate Frosted and Strawberry Frosted make Toaster Strudel taste like cat crap covered in wallpaper paste.

"Will you stay on the bus and continue to rawk my world?" Inanity at its best.

Posted by: jelo | February 6, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The Thai don't need to take in the Burmese refugees, Angelina will just adopt them all.

Now, I have criticized Angelina for her kid collecting. But, at least she supports the kids herself. Unlike the octopuplet mom who needs mental help (I wanted to make up for my dysfunctional childhood). Children are NOT accessories to your baggage. And they are not the responsibility of other people to support. Her mother is a piece of work too. Oh poor thing, she can't finish her master's degree now because of the babies. Hey lady, this was as planned a pregnancy as you get. It was no accident these kids will interfere with her education.

Hodie, medical question. If they were embryos when implanted, could there be further division to add babies? She is now claiming she only had six implanted (because that would be sooooo much better for a single mom with no job to have than eight).

Posted by: epjd | February 6, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

ep, yes that is probably what happened. so 2 sets of the babies are actually identical. If they're not, then we'll know she lied.

Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Ooo...ooo. Just actually read the Lilo report and found out she VEHEMENTLY DENIES that any splitup with SaMANtha is in the works. We lizards know what that means. The epiphany is imminent.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 6, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Ann Curry is interviewing the octopuplets' mom:
"Today" denies having paid the mother for the exclusive rights. Yeah, sure.

Meanwhile, a poll of Pookie's online chatters this afternoon refealed that 86%would indignantly not watch a show with the mom & her litter, and another 3% would regretfully not watch (whatever the heck that means). So stay strong and stick by your principles, Lizards, don't give in now, hang in there, bunkies...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

reVealed. Ack!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm betting that ep will watch w/huge buckets of popcorn, half butter-half salt.

Posted by: jelo | February 6, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I feel the same as everyone else here about the octopuplet's Mom. But I do hope she gets some freebies and help from someone. It's not the poor babies' fault their Mom is a moron. I just hope if any money comes to her that it is in a trust only to be used on the kids. Can that be arranged, ep? Would hate to see her get more collagen pumped into those lips. (Ok, that was mean, probably swelling like the rest of her due to the massive strain placed on her heart to carry those kids. Time will tell).

Oh, shout out for the Swayze. Looks like Justice Ginsberg has joined the club.

Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Based on Ann Hornaday's review, I have a feeling the male Lizards will bustle out to support "He's just not that into you". To wit, "Scarlett Johannson's predatory voluptuousness takes over every scene she's in, as if a Macy's Thanksgiving Day float constructed entirely of lips, breasts and hips had suddenly barged into the frame."

Have fun, guys!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

How likely are LA County's child services to allow Octopuplet Mom to keep any or all of her kids?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh, sorcerers_cat, poor Dorkus will be beside himself if he reads that!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

So, the whole having a litter thing was really only meant for cats and dogs and pigs, and it really annoys me when any human does it. But this lady does seem like a nimrod for adding that babies to her already overly large family.

My question for anyone who knows is this:
I thought fertility treatments, IVF or whatever were insanely expensive. How did this supposedly poor, single, already-kid-having nutcase pay for the treatment that resulted in the litter? Anyone?

Posted by: VaLGaL | February 6, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, the typing disease seems to be contagious...

make that "for adding that MANY babies"

Posted by: VaLGaL | February 6, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh Nosy, I was planning on seeing that movie since I saw the swimming pool scene in the trailer. My date may feel ignored.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 6, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

But didn't anyone else see the physical resemblance between octomom and Angelina??

I think octomom wants to look like or BE Angelina.

And, her reasons in the interview for having so many children amount to "I had an unhappy, lonley childhood."

Where have we heard that before, Angelina wannbe??

Posted by: Amelia5 | February 6, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

ValGal, I had the same thought--I mean, my sister had to do in vitro twice to have her two children and it was 10 grand per procedure. The paper did say she had received 170k in workers compensation over the course of a few years, but I would think expenses for six kids would have eaten up most of that.

The woman is sick. It's a pity they can't legally require someone to get a psych evaluation prior to receiving treatment. She claims only six embryos implanted, but in any case that is still insanely too many, in my opinion, especially if she's checked the box saying she won't do any selective removals if they all take.

Nosy, I had that thought the other day. I think part of the point of all the publicity is to make it near impossible for Child Services to remove some of her kids--can you imagine the uproar? Personally I hope that there is a case worker assigned to the family that does regular visits, thus an airtight case built over time in the event the kids are suffering from neglect.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

val gal, not likely children's services would have a case if there is no evidence of neglect or harm to these children.

I wonder if her Mom and Dad had anything to say about this since she lives with them.

As far as where did she get the money...It was said on the Today Show she received a settlement a few years back when she was injured during a psychiatric hospital riot where she worked.

Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

oops that was Nosy's question. sorry.

Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat

Not really. I think the public is awfully disgusted with Octomom (thanks for that coinage, Amelia! Mudge, please consider for our glossary).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I guess a trust for the 14 kids could be set up. With a trustee that tells Mom to go suck it. Along with her enabling parents.

But child protective services will not take the kids away just because mom is poor and a nimrod. Kids used to be taken away for those reasons, but it was realized (rightly so) that you just can't break up families like that. Now, if there is neglect or abuse, they could be taken away. Something tells me that a home visit is already in the works.

I heard, completely unsubstantiated so take it for what you will, that she used her student loan money to pay for the IVF. Now, student loan money can be used for your living expenses while in school (you gotta eat or you tend to faint in class). Necessary medical bills too since we don't want sick people in class. However, I doubt IVF treatments constitute reasonable living expenses or necessary medical bills. So, I hope the federal goverment is looking into the use of her school loan money.

Sorry about the long answers. It is an afflication of baby lawyers. The only cure is not caring anymore.

Posted by: epjd | February 6, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Amelia, Octomom is a great nickname! Sounds like she is a supervillain from a Spiderman movie.

Posted by: hodie | February 6, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The only cure is not caring anymore.
Posted by: epjd | February 6, 2009 4:52 PM

Don't worry ep, it won't take as long as you think...

Posted by: VaLGaL | February 6, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Amelia, there is some resemblance, but really, comparing arguably one of the most beautiful women in the world with this freaky looking girl? I'll buy that she wishes she was Angelina (and she'd have a lot of company), but it stops there.

I was thinking this story puts the Angelina and Brad big family story in context--they are stinking rich, so long as they can give the kids enough attention I don't care if they have ten because the kids certainly won't lack for anything else. Not the case with the octopuplets or the preceding six.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 6, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

First baby mommas, then baby daddies, now baby lawyers?

Owe the humanity!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 6, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I also assign a bit of blame to Ann Curry, for doing the interview. She could've mustered a little spine and refused, as her colleague Meredith Vieira did re the Natalee Hollaway story. I doubt NBC would've punished Curry had she declined.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus, that's your virtual sweetie ep whom you're bad-mouthing.

Personally, I agree with ep, and besides sometimes children need their own legal representation if the parents/guardians aren't behaving in the kids' best interests.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but Curry has a "reputation" now for doing multiple birth stories, she wouldn't refuse the ultimate addition to her resume. Not that I'm condoning it, I think giving this woman any attention at all is a mistake.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 6, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat
Curry has a "reputation" now for doing multiple birth stories

Yeah, but I'd think that would be all the more incentive for Ann Curry to dodge this bullet. To take the story kind of puts her in an analogous category to how many people Baba Wawa can reduce to tears on camera.

Which reminds me: Friday shout-out to the Swayze (and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, Dorkus has seen a picture of me, I don't think I am his virtual sweetie anymore.

Although children do need their own attorney (guardian ad litem), baby lawyer means a brand new lawyer. Which I am. Less than 2 months and I had to argue several discovery motions last week.

So, the Octomom is the mother of the Octopuplets?

Posted by: epjd | February 6, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh gag. Check this out:

Just when we thought we were in the clear, having managed to make it through this week almost entirely Jessica Simpson-free, she had to go have a mini breakdown during her opening set for Rascal Flatts in Grand Rapids, Mich.

According to the Grand Rapids Press, she kicked off the whole mess by lamenting how much she missed Tony Romo right after the opening song. "I'm so excited, I get to see my boyfriend tomorrow," she informed the crowd. Tony came up again later when she dedicated "You're My Sunday" to him, telling everyone, "I love him so, so much!"

Then it got bad...

Apparently, Jess lost her place in several songs including "Pray Out Loud," which the band had to start over after several measures. And then "Come On Over," where she mouthed "sorry" to the monitors.

She explained tearfully, "My voice is weak tonight and I feel so vulnerable onstage." And just before she closed the 38-minute set, she mentioned how sometimes, like this particular disastrous night, she wished she could just walk off the stage. She then thanked her band for not going all Christian Bale on her and appeared to wipe tears away as she exited the stage.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 6, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

s_cat

I agree that Octomom looks weird, BUT she just had all kinds of meds, etc. with the in vitro stuff.

I bet as she normals down, Octomom will try to look more and more Angelina-ish.

Perhaps a Brangelina trend?

Remember "copycat criminals?" I think Octomom is a copycat child collector!

Posted by: Amelia5 | February 6, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

ep, in the virtual world all female Lizards resemble ScarJo. And Dorkus looks like George Clooney.

sorcerers_cat
Then it got bad...

You were right. Unfortunately.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 6, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, as we suspected--I hope he or she loses their license:

LOS ANGELES – The fertility doctor who helped a California woman have 14 children, including octuplets born last month, is now facing a state investigation on top of harsh criticism from medical ethicists.

The Medical Board of California did not identify the doctor who helped Nadya Suleman, 33, of Whittier, become pregnant with the six boys and two girls born on Jan. 26., even though she already had six other children.

"We're looking into the matter to see if we can substantiate if there was a violation of the standard of care," board spokeswoman Candis Cohen said Friday.

Suleman, a divorced single mother, told NBC's "Today" show that the same fertility specialist provided in vitro fertilization for all 14 children.
....
Doctors say the norm is to implant two or three embryos, at most, in women Suleman's age.

"The revelation about one center treating her makes the treatment even harder to understand," said Arthur Caplan, bioethics chairman at the University of Pennsylvania. "They went ahead when she had six kids, knowing that she was a single mom ... and put embryos into her anyway."

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 6, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I, too, hope this fertility hack loses his/her license!!!

Octomom is good, but I prefer the moniker my coworker coined for her: "Clown Car Vag!ina."

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, as I think Angelina Jolie is exceedingly unattractive. Granted, I'm not her target market.

Posted by: Californian11 | February 6, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Correction: "Clown Car Vagina"

Posted by: Californian11 | February 6, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Michael Phelps set fire to more than a joint of marijuana when he lit one at that wild and raucous South Carolina party last fall. Also up in smoke went his multimillion dollar endorsement contract with Kellogg, the world's leading producer of cereal and a leading producer of convenience foods, including Keebler®, Pop-Tarts®, Eggo®, Cheez-It®, Club®, Nutri-Grain®, Rice Krispies®, All-Bran®, Special K®, Mini-Wheats®, Chips Deluxe®, Sandies®, Morningstar Farms®, Famous Amos®, and Murray®.

Seems that Kellogg is a little touchy about placing pictures of lawbreakers on its cereal boxes. And pot smoking is a criminal offense in South Carolina, even if you are a gold medal winner . . . or even the winner of many gold medals.

And people who do crimes don't belong on Kellogg's cereal boxes, or so thinks Kellogg.

Phelps offered up the usual celebrity defenses to his actions: regrettable behavior, youthful indiscretion, bad judgment, lapse of judgment-and the real biggy: "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

I think this role model thing is way over-blown. Phelps is not a national institution, and he's certainly not a saint. What he is is a long, lean, lucky coordinated piece of human muscle who won acclaim as an athlete. But in doing so, he didn't take on our kids and grandkids to raise or mentor. He doesn't owe you and me and ours anything.

If a morally instructive lesson for children has to be forced out of this incident, tell your children something like this:

"Michael is a grown man, responsible for his actions. All things we do have consequences. What the photo shows him doing is wrong, a violation of the law. He's going to lose a lot of money as a result of what he did, and he may even be prosecuted for it. Being a famous athlete doesn't make him better than anybody else.

What the photo shows him doing, however, doesn't mean that he's a druggy. Most likely, he is not. If he were, he couldn't have passed all those Olympic drug tests.

Now, kid, shut up and eat your Pop Tart!"

Posted by: jazbo1 | February 7, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey, guys, can we pull back a little venom for the mother of octupulets? Regardless of what you think about her, these kids are children. Terms like "litter" and "puplets" are offensive and demeaning.

I though we were talking about celebrities.

To paraphrase a line from "Sister Act," if this becomes a let's-bash-anyone-involved-with in vitro/multiple births/etc blog, I'm outta here.

Restrain yourselves. There's snark, and then there's meanspiritness. Some of you are crossing the line.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 8, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse