Posted at 7:00 AM ET, 02/24/2009

Morning Mix: Nicky Hilton Makes Citizen's Arrest; Clooney Meets with VP Biden

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Nicky Hilton makes citizen's arrest at Los Angeles IHOP... George Clooney discusses Darfur with Vice President Biden... Jennifer Aniston moving (temporarily) to New York... Sean Penn says he left wife Robin Wright Penn out of his Oscar acceptance speech on purpose... Former manager Sam Lufti denies harassing Britney Spears... "Slumdog's" Frieda Pinto to star in next Woody Allen film... Sienna Miller's clothing line makes debut at London Fashion Week... Madonna donates son's outgrown clothes to Malawi orphanage... Spice Girl Mel C gives birth to baby girl.

Pix: Katie Holmes's prison break chic.

First Lady Watch: Obama scores high approval rating... Designer Thakoon Panichgul hopes we'll all take fashion more seriously now that the first lady is an obvious devotee... The first updo.

Crime Watch: Charles Barkley gets 10 days in jail on DUI charge.

Rumor Mill: Octomom facing eviction in early March... Kathy Griffin lands $2 million book deal... Mario Batali unleashes stream of obscenities in front of Spanish royals... Evan Rachel Wood and Marilyn Manson back together?

Video: Lindsay Lohan on stress, her new spray-tan line and her once-a-week yoga routine...

By Liz Kelly  | February 24, 2009; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oscar's Class Acts
Next: Did She or Didn't She? Beyoncé Becomes the Newest Target in Backing Track Debate

Comments

Liz,

911 your tech support. Some of your links are on the fritz.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 24, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I can see the tv credits now: "Nicky Hilton, Beat Cop." (In episode one, she uses the taser on her sister.)

"George Clooney discusses Darfur with Vice President Biden." And with a little tuck of Clooney's chin and a turn of his head, America changed its policy.

Good luck on your move, Jennifer Aniston, although I doubt you'll be lucky enough to get *another* apartment that offers a view of Naked Fat Guy.

How do we know it's Sienna Miller's clothing line? Most of them are topless.

Designer hopes we'll take fashion more seriously now? Dude, this is America, and your name is "Thakoon Panichgul" - a third of the country is laughing at that and another third thinks you need to "go back where you came from" - and the rest of us are just trying to find pants that fit.

Surely a $2M book deal for Kathy Griffin is mentioned somewhere in Revelations?

LiLo, sweetie, you look like you're jonesin' for a little pick-me-up.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 24, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Gently lower the syrup and put your hands over your head. No more blueberry pancakes for you, sir. I'm taking you downtown. In my limo.

Good for Madonna. I can't snark on anyone donating clothes to orphanages. (Autographed copies of her book, however. . . .)

Robin Wright Penn (wow, two Sean Penn exes in one Morning Mix) is a class act. I wish she'd act again. How Joanne Woodward of her.

I can't wait to read Kathy Griffin's book, "Suck it, J_sus, Ballantine Is My God Now." (C'mon, it sure as all get-out won't be called "Life on the NYT Best Sellers List.") Expect lots of recycled stuff from her Bravo show.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 24, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Why does Madonna have to wait until little snatched David has outgrown some clothes? I seriously think they could afford to send some unused clothes to the orphanage.

Posted by: msame | February 24, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear that Frieda Pinto is going to appear in the next Woody Allen movie. He has basically become an old perv who lurks around the Hollywood equivalent of the bus station looking for the fresh young girl to become his new muse. Ugh.

Posted by: buffysummers | February 24, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

True, buffy, but actresses in his movies tend to win academy awards. See: Mira Sorvino in Mighty Aphrodite and Penelope Cruz in Vicky Christina Barcelona (and many many others, I'm sure, that I can't pull off the top of my head right now).

I can't access the perez hilton site. What is the reason for Sean leaving Robin out of his speech?

Posted by: eet7e | February 24, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I love that pic of Katie Holmes. Like those flats she's carrying are gonna make those pants soooo much better looking that the Uggs. LOL!!

Posted by: wadejg | February 24, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Frieda Pinto is a month older than ScarJo, so at least the Woodster is working the calendar the right direction.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Kat(i)e, did you steal those pants from a homeless guy?

Hate Madonna, but I'm not going to quibble about her donating used clothes to the orphanage rather than buying new. It's probably the most down to earth thing she's done in decades. Although I guess asking the help to pack up clothes and ship them to Malawi isn't really that down to earth is it?

Posted by: jes11 | February 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

From imdb.com:

Woody Allen

Directed 15 different actors in Oscar-nominated performances: Diane Keaton, Geraldine Page, Maureen Stapleton, Mariel Hemingway, Michael Caine, Dianne Wiest, Martin Landau, Judy Davis, Chazz Palminteri, Jennifer Tilly, Mira Sorvino, Sean Penn, Samantha Morton, Penélope Cruz, and himself. Keaton, Caine, Wiest and Sorvino won Oscars for their performances in one of his movies.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 24, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Ooops. Looks like imdb.com didn't see Cruz win an Oscar.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 24, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Nicky Hilton makes citizen's arrest at Los Angeles IHOP

Was Barney Fife off smooching with Thelma Lou?

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 24, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Getting Jennifer Tilly an Oscar nomination makes him a near genius in and of itself.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

eet7e, supposedly Sean left the wife out of his speech on purpose so he could have more time to address the plight of the gay community and his wife was completely understanding of that. I didn't see his speech but I wonder did he thank others or use the entire time as a soapbox?

msame, I'm sure little David's clothes are probably brand new. Most stars shudder at being seen in the same thing twice. Except Katie Holmes, her outfit looks like she got it at a secondhand store. I will be glad when Uggs go away.

Is Lilo wearing a bedsheet? Hey, Micky, when you're done with that bottle of shampoo we got you, pass it to Lilo.

Lacking details on the Nicky Hilton citizen's arrest. Just how was she able to do this? Let me guess, she had borrowed Paris' purse which just happened to have a pair of handcuffs inside.

Congrats Mel C and I do like the name of the baby (Scarlett). Unfortunately your spice friend, Geri, was less sensible with her baby name choices and named her child Bluebell. I'll bet the poor girl is going to be taunted with mooing noises for her entire school years.

Posted by: hodie | February 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Evan, honey, NO. Stay away. You are looking so beautiful and classy and lovely and classic recently. Do not go back to that weirdo.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | February 24, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

That has got to be one of the most unflattering images of LiLo ever. The cute little girl has grown into an entirely average woman.

And I agree w/Chasm--step away from the Manson Evan. You're much healthier w/o the ghoul.

Posted by: jelo | February 24, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | February 24, 2009 10:06 AM

You may be on to something. I can't understand a word that comes out of Penélope Cruz's mouth.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

“These clothes are funky, and there’s something for anyone.” Or, as Savannah tells Style.com the collection is “Pirates of the road meets Grace Jones.”

So if you want to look like Grace Jones dressed like Mad Max, buy Sienna Miller's new line of clothes. I'm sure Evan Rachel Wood will be a customer now that she's back with her ex.

==

Posted by: hodie | February 24, 2009 10:06 AM

Hodie, I doubt there will be much mooing, however, I'm pretty confident that the second "e" will be placed by an "a."

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 24, 2009 10:28 AM

Well there goes her social life...

Posted by: hodie | February 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jez, I can't get to imdb from work, either. It's one of my favorite sites, though.

Yellojkt, Jennifer Tilly, true. Even more true for Mira Sorvino's win. I adore her and have a total girl-crush on her, but her recent repertoire and acting apperances have been..well..really really bad.

Thanks, hodie. Sean definitely took the time to thank other people, including his "best friend," before going on his soapbox. It really doesn't take that long to say "And thank you to my lovely wife, Robin." Good for her for not being upset about it, but I would be pretty livid. IMO, I can understand leaving out every last grip and assistant you've come in contact with, but parents, children, spouses/SOs, etc, are required in acceptance speeches.

Posted by: eet7e | February 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I agree eet7e. How long does it take to say "Thanks, Robin" or at least give her a wink or blow a kiss. Come'on! His excuse is a cop out. Sean, you are so lucky to have such a mature wife but know that she is probably hurt. Better make it up big time.

Posted by: hodie | February 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

That sounds like an excuse after the fact for why he didn't thank you. As has been pointed out, it doesn't take that long to say "thank you to my wife." Plus, the protesters he was complaining about???? The Westboro Baptist Church. The butt ugly people who hate everyone because they have no friends due to being butt ugly and stupid. So, yeah, that was an effective use of one's time.

Can we stop covering the First Lady in Celebritology? For eight years, Laura Bush did not make this column (or only rarely). Let's keep the political people out of it unless they are 1) dating with a celebrity 2) caught in bed with a celebrity (or hooker) or 3) start looking and acting like Mickey Rourke. Okay? Thanks.

Posted by: epjd | February 24, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Was Barney Fife off smooching with Thelma Lou?

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 24, 2009 10:02 AM

I am picturing Nicky Hilton yelling "Citizens arrest! Cicitzen's arrest!" In the voice and accent of Goober. It's really making my afternoon.

Posted by: VaLGaL | February 24, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Apologies to the spelling police.

Posted by: VaLGaL | February 24, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

No worries, ValGal, we're not troubled by the Spelling Po'lice no mo!

Hey everyone, Happy Fat Tuesday! Anyone in Nawlins?

Posted by: hodie | February 24, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

If you are in N'awlins, for God's sake, put down the mouse and go get drunk. There are beads going unclaimed, people!!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 24, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Thakoon Panichgul, I will start taking fashion more seriously when you start looking less like you just got back in from raking the leaves. Don't get me wrong, I like the scarf, but lecturing us about fashion in that outfit seems like showing up to run an AA meeting with a fifth of Jack in one hand.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 24, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

epjd, I think the current first lady is more of a "celebrity" than the previous first lady and like that she is covered here in Celebritology. She was on the cover of Vogue! (Not just pictured inside...)

LiLo, your eating habits might not have changed, but I think you might be back on the drugs, which would explain your weight loss. I agree, she was jonsin' in that interview.

Posted by: aludholtz | February 24, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Baby Blueba/ell:

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 24, 2009 10:28 AM

Well there goes her social life...

Posted by: hodie | February 24, 2009 10:43 AM

-------------------------------------------

Au contraire, Dr. Hodie. I predict that little Miss Blueball will grow up to be quite the tease.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 24, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

OctoMom to be evicted on March 5? Seems to me that local authorities will have grounds to take custody of the kids on March 6.

OctoMom wants the sperm donor to be involved with raising the kids? I realized that she was deluded, but this is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 24, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Responding to some questions from yesterday:

Q: How do I know DSM IV?
A: I got my undergrad degree in psychology, and put in about 2 years of grad school in psych. Both the department head and I agreed that I was better suited to the patient side of the DSM interface, so I left.

Q: What do I do for a living when I'm not watching paint dry?
A: I'm an old, gray IT systems anal-ist who renowned for having the talent to invent original ways of breaking any software application I test.

Q: How did the Sunday paint job go?
A: No painting occurred Sunday. Saturday wall prep revealed necrotic drywall from years of wallpaper and glue, "courtesy" of previous owner. Sunday was spent taking down an 8x12 foot expanse of necrotic drywall.

Remind me to tell you guys what I think about wallpaper. Be prepared to see many #^$%&$%%^ characters in my response.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 24, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

And a belated welcome to the thin-skinned, super-sensitive "Christians" who made yesterday's late blog into a Booby Kennedy Day with rants about Bill Maher.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 24, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Dear sas:
There was a BKD? Huh?
Yrs, Bawlmer

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 24, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Yeah right Sean, in addition to the comments about gay marriage (which were totally appropriate considering the role you won for), you can rant about protesters out in front of the theater (surely a last minute addition to the speech) and thank your best friend who no one's ever heard of, but the two seconds it takes to acknowledge your gorgeous and talented well-respected ACTRESS wife who is sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU would put you over the limit. Sorry pal, comes off like a deliberate snub, especially in view of your much-publicized recent marital travails.

Can anyone imagine Tom Hanks leaving Rita Wilson out of an acceptance speech? Not.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 24, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Must have missed the BKD about Maher. I just commented on how ridiculous (not religulous) his leather tux looked on him. I will have to go back and see what happened. I love a good BKD day!

Posted by: hodie | February 24, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Sas, Octomom GETTING ridiculous?
BTW, I agree with you on wallpaper. We once put up wallpaper from France. Beeg mistake.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 24, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

byoo,

I've seen more marriages ruined by wallpaper application/removal and grad school. So, I'm quite surprised you're married.

Frankly, if the Bible belt were so concerned about the sanctity, defense and preservation of hetero marriage, they'd ban wallpaper and grad school for married couples.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 24, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Last year, in a fit of pregnancy hormone, I insisted that the horrible "old-granny" hearts and flowers wall paper in our kitchen be taken down to expose the bead board walls that I could FEEL but not SEE underneath. Guess what else it exposed? About 40 years worth of lead based paint...Yay! Paging the hazmat team...Hazmat team please report to VaLGaL's kitchen.

Posted by: VaLGaL | February 24, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Val Gal,

I used a soy-based stripper to remove the lead based paint. No fumes. Wear gloves, cover and tape the floor well and dispose of the removed paint goo as if it were hazardous material. Call your local sanitation department to see what they suggest. I removed my paint while I had a contractor working on the exterior. I was able to use his dumpster.

The best technique is to paint a thick coat of goo on, and cover with plastic (like the plastic drop cloths you get at the hardware store). Tape securely with blue tape. Let sit for a while.
Great for new moms as you can let it sit and "cook" until you can get around to it. Remove the plastic and scrape off as much as you can. Let it air dry. If you don't care about how smooth the final result is, you can just clean it off with a damp cloth and paint over it when it is dry.

Keep the crawling kid out of the kitchen while you do it. Remove as much as you can, then paint with a good primer (Kilz) and paint as desired. Low VOC paint, if you're concerned about other fumes.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 24, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse