Posted at 7:53 AM ET, 02/23/2009

Morning Mix: Nicole Richie Pregnant Again; Brangelina Snub Ryan Seacrest a Second Time

By Liz Kelly

Best Actress nominees Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep share a moment at the Vanity Fair after party. (Getty Images)
Gallery: Oscar Fashion
Monday

Headlines: Kate Winslet, Sean Penn take top acting honors | Full Oscar Coverage... Brangelina snub Ryan Seacrest yet again... Mickey Rourke delivers expletive-laced Spirit Award acceptance speech (NSFW)... Nicole Richie and Joel Madden expecting second child... Paris Hilton wins worst actress honors at Razzies... Rihanna assures fans she's "remains strong;" Kenan Thompson says Chris Brown still welcome at "SNL"... Miley Cyrus says there's nothing weird about her relationship with dad... J.Lo ad Marc Anthony's twins celebrate first birthday... Robert Wagner dishes about his Hollywood conquests... Terminally ill British reality star Jade Goody marries... Lawyer says Peter Falk's care is adequate.

Pix: For 30th birthday, Jennifer Love Hewitt channels Holly Golightly (FWIW, you still don't look like Hepburn)... Madonna at the Vanity Fair Oscar party.

First Lady Watch:
-- Mrs. Obama arrived in a glittering, off-the-shoulder gown by Chicago designer Peter Soronen and a multiply-looped faux-pearl necklace by Tom Binns. (Governors Get a Taste of Obamas' Style, Style, Feb. 23)
-- As she eases into her role, the first lady chose a purple sleeveless dress while previewing the evening's menu.

Rumor Mill: "Slumdog" stars Frieda Pinto and Dev Patel deny they're dating... Stylist Rachel Zoe makes a scene at pre-Oscar party... Lauren Hill pregnant with sixth child?... Robert Pattinson signs on for third "Twilight" movie... Will Smith and family to star in "Swiss Family Robinson" remake?... Chris Brown trying to get back in Rihanna's good graces, says source... Larry David dating "E.R." alumna Sherry Stringfield?

By Liz Kelly  | February 23, 2009; 7:53 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Dozen Questions for Ricky Gervais
Next: Oscar's Class Acts

Comments

When I grow up, I want to be Robert Wagner.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 23, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Odd that Wagner's version of the song "To All The Girls I've Shtupped Before" didn't include a verse about Natalie Wood.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 23, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

(Oh, there is. Separate article. My bad.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 23, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Can Kate Winslet's dad whistle, or what?

Sean Penn's acceptance speech was good, but one got the sense he'd like to have delivered one like the one Mickey did. (The Lovely Mrs. byoolin wanted Sean to knock himself on the head with Oscar and say, "That was my skull! I'm so wasted!")

Brangelina snubbing Seacrest is getting old. How about a right cross to the jaw that knocks him out cold, Angie?

"Adequate"? Apparently Peter Falk's health plan is the one with the motto, "The most adequate care money can buy."

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 23, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Huh.

It seems as if the recently developed Oscar shoo-in notion (i.e., if you wear face altering makeup in a film you are a great actor) has finally been kicked to the curb.

Too bad, Brad. Nice try though.

VTY,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | February 23, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Watched the Oscars last night. I did enjoy it, even the dress horrors. (Tilda! Please get yourself a stylist that cares about you!) However, something seemed to be missing: where was the obligatory close-up of Jack Nicholson leering at the proceedings?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 23, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Why is it strange Brangelina snubbed Seacrest but talked to Tim Gunn? I would say they got it just right.

And how awkward was it that Jennifer Aniston had to present her award 3ft away from them in the front row? The camera man very obligingly panned over to Angie during Jen's and Jack's banter ( come'on, we all wanted to know what Brangelina thought) and saw her smiling and laughing. Was she laughing at Jennifer's jokes or at the fact that she was sitting with Brad, and Jennifer was with Jack Black?

Question. What is the status of J.Lo's and Marc Anthony's relationship? I thought it was over.

Sorry Miley, your relationship with your father is weird even for Kentucky.

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Hodie, I thought Jennifer Aniston's whole presentation was awkward. She seemed really uncomfortable/angry the whole time.

On the whole, though, I actually enjoyed the show. I laughed out loud at the opening number. It was so bizarre and ridiculous, particularly the sparkly spandex-suited "Craigslist dancers" singing about "The Reader". Major props to Hugh Jackman for being willing to go to those lengths to get a laugh. Also loved the fellow who said "domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" in his acceptance speech. Classic.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | February 23, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Jennifer Love Hewitt looks like I imagine Suri Cruise will look like as a teenager. Too thin, wearing dark classes, and with a tiara on her head.

Kenan Thompson, how far we have fallen since the carefree days of Kenan & Kel on Nickolodeon. Focus your talents on those cartoon voiceovers instead.

"Rachel Zoe makes a scene at pre-Oscar party" -- I'm surprised she could make a shadow or anything beyond a stick figure.

"Paris Hilton wins worst actress honors at Razzies" -- Clearly she didn't include that McCain ad in the best-of clip DVD she sent to voters.

Will Smith in "Swiss Family Robinson"? Please. I'd much rather see Eddie Murphy star in "Swiss Family Robinson's Neighborhood."

Not sure what to make about Yvonne DeCarlo picking up younger boys (Robert Wagner and Tony Curtis). Not that, per sé, because the age difference wasn't that great. Still, now I'll never be able to watch "The Munsters" reruns again without wondering if poor Eddie never had a chance.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 23, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I was a little puzzled by Angelina's ring last night. When I first saw it, I thought, "Well, that's nice -- Brad bought her a ring pop before the show so that she wouldn't be hungry." Was that a real stone or just a very large hunk o' plastic?

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 23, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Centreville Mom, those were big honkin' emeralds that matched the big honkin' emeralds in her ears. I too thought it was a bit gaudy but if anyone can pull it off....

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

We get it Angelina, you hate walking the red carpet. Here's the thing -- it's your freaking JOB. Do you think Liz likes finding all those brain bleach worthy photos for us to gasp over? No. But, she does it, because she is a professional. You on the other hand think you are too good to do your job right. Part of your job entails walking the red carpet, smiling and talking to inane reporters. This is the job that lets you adopt a chunk of the Third World and move every 10 minutes. You are allegedly an actress, why don't you try -- I don't know -- ACTING like you enjoy being there.

Okay, got that off my chest. Loved Kate Winslet's speech. Especially asking her dad to whistle so she could find her parents. Did not like Sean Penn's. Thanks for beating us over the head about your politics -- again. Try talking to Hugo Chavez that way sometime why don't you? Oh and he so did not thank his wife. When he said he'd like to thank his best friend, he then read a name and it was NOT Robin. He then mentioned his circle of advisers and listed names. So, I am going with "not thanking his wife." What a jerk.

Most of the dresses last night were lovely. The Slum Dog Millionaire girl's dress was GORGEOUS. There were some unfortunate choices -- Jessica Biel -- a diaper is not appropriate Oscar attire.

Yeah, so much for a toned down Oscars due to the recession. Between Angelina's huge rocks and Heidi Klum's 80 pound earrings (all I could think was "how long are her earlobes gonna be by the end of the night) to the collar necklaces, there was a lot of expensive jewelry on display.

Posted by: epjd | February 23, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Loved all the dresses last night (even Tilda's), loved that Slumdog won, loved Hugh as host even though he seemed to disappear a lot. Good times.

Posted by: msame | February 23, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Didn't watch the big show last night but I did (of course!) look at some red carpet photos online this morning. Frieda Pinto - very nice! Different, classy, suited her frame. Beyonce - yawn. Same old, same old. This girl needs a do-over.

Don't even know what to think about Tilda Swinton, so I'll try not to think about it at all.

Now, about this morning's snark - haven't we all had just about enough of the Will Smith family? Or am I only speaking for myself here?

Posted by: jaybbub | February 23, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

My favorite gown of the evening was Anne Hathaway's. And who knew that girl could sing?

Very impressed with Hugh Jackman's performance in the opening number. Loved the low tech props that was a nod to the recession, however, that was almost unnoticed because like a bird that likes shiny things, my attention kept going to that dazzling Swarovski crystal curtain. Yeah, what recession?

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Well we didn't get to see Hugh with his shirt off so the whole thing was a fail!!

(I really loved it even though it ran waaaay too long)

But seriously folks, why did Marissa Tomei have all those folded napkins all over her? Did she stay too long at a pre-party & fell asleep & the waitstaff played a practical joke on her or what?

Posted by: wadejg | February 23, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

SJP looked like Glenda "the good witch."

Posted by: MzFitz | February 23, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

-td

Just spit out my coffee.. Damn, I miss those old SNL days.

Posted by: Trumance1 | February 23, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, hodie. The only time I've seen emeralds that large were in displays at the Smithsonian. :0

We had a running joke for the comic book geeks on Twitter last night: "If you're running long on your speech and you hear a *snkt* behind you, wrap it up; Hugh wants you to move along."

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 23, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Loved:

Hugh Jackman - funny, bright, gorgeous, uber-talented - very fresh

Most of the dresses; SJP and Whoopi - what were you thinking?

Liked:

The fact that most of the women looked that they actually brushed their hair (or their stylists did) for a change.

Wondering:

Whether or not Cuba Gooding's snarky remark to Robert Downey Jr about his (RDJ)next role as "Shaft" was scripted or just uncontained jealously.

Hope they ask that Australian who played an Australian in a movie called "Australia" back again next year!

Posted by: BraleyPJ | February 23, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Was it just me or was anyone else offended by Ryan Seacrest's comment to one of the child actors from "Slumdog." I cringed as I heard him exclaim, "She speaks good English!" WTF???

Can Angelina not be bothered to SMILE once in a while on the red carpet? Geez! Also, emeralds notwithstanding, I found her outfit to be a little...meh.

LOVED Kate Winslet's dad whistling -- awesome! She looked fabulous, as usual.

Props to Hugh Jackman -- I knew that he has a Tony, but had no idea that he was as witty as he was last night. Nice job, especially with the opening number.

Yawns to: Beyonce "one doughnut away from blowing up like a can of biscuits" Knowles -- She continues to wear the same hip-hugging/mermaid silhouette. We know you have curves already, try something new.

Miley Cyrus -- can ANYONE explain to me what the sam hill she was doing at the Oscars?

Jessica "WTF were you thinking with that dress" Biel

Posted by: clw96 | February 23, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

i missed everything up to tina fey and steve martin, am hoping a video of hugh jackman's opener shows up somewhere. i rather liked jackman as a host, but thought some of the presenters' lines (esp. jen and jack) were pretty lame. Steve Martin and Tina Fey were hilarious, but everybody else, meh. a little will smith goes a long, long way.

interested in what everybody else thought about the apatow video thing w/seth rogan, james franco and the unpronounceable guy.

i love to hear queen latifah sing, but using her in the memorial segment didn't work. they should have let her do her thing from "chicago" during the "musical is back" bit.

and jerry lewis did. not. look. well.

Posted by: memphis1 | February 23, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

ep, while I can appreciate your disagreements with Sean Penn on politics (and I have issues with some of his positions, myself), as with the scorpion who stung the turtle, it's his nature.

Did notice the failure to thank his wife, too, though. Bad form. Buttercup deserves more respect.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | February 23, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

miley cyrus made me think of an upside-down artichoke.

faye dunaway was on grey's anatomy last week and now whenever i see a pic of madonna, a picture of her pops into my head. the resemblance is starting to become unsettling.

Posted by: memphis1 | February 23, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

So, Miley sez there's nothing weird about her relationship with her dad.

Whew.

Thanks for clearing that up for us, Miley.

And, why would she not know the trut?

From the horse's mouth, I am.

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | February 23, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

We were also hoping last night that during Sean Penn's shout-out to Mickey Rourke, Mickey would come back with a, "I love you too, man; now hand over that *#$(&% Oscar!".

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | February 23, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

"By the way, keep a close eye on those adorable slum dog kids. If one turns up missing, we know where to look."

zing, hodie, i would have complimented you sooner but i've been busy cleaning coffee off my monitor!

Posted by: memphis1 | February 23, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, the In Memoriam was ruined. Not by Queen Latifah singing. She did a wonderful job but by the camera cut aways from the IN MEMORIAM SCREEN to her. Not her fault.

That was what was different last night -- everyone brushed their hair. How nice they discovered that concept.

I really did not like the stage. It was far to cluttered. I like a clean stage that lets the focus be on the awards, not noticing the cool props on stage. Also, please tell me someone removed Ben Stiller's gum and disinfected the podium. That was just GROSS.

It was a mostly lovely night. No Oscars are perfect. But, in general, they did a good job this year.

Posted by: epjd | February 23, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

thanks! memphis,

Agree, thought Steve Martin and Tina Fey were hilarious. Steve had some great one-liners, especially when he reintroduced himself after Tina got all the applause and he didn't. Also loved the line to Tina, "don't you fall in love with me!". His deadpan delivery reminded me why we love him.

Stopped watching after awhile and switched to my dvr'd episode of the Amazing Race. Who wants to be my partner for the next race? Wouldn't it be interesting to have a couple of internet friends who have never actually met be partners?

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Really Kenan, you should just shut up.

Congrats to Nicole and Joel, you've surprised me again.

I actually like Tilda's outfit. However, I think Jessica Biel and Beyonce should have stayed home if they didn't really want to go.

Posted by: tdcreader | February 23, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Late to the party this AM, so all the low-hanging snark-fruit has been plucked. Oh well...

Really liked Queen Latifah's singing during the In Memoriam segment, in her Dana Owens incarnation (sistah has a set of pipes!). Sad that much of the audience didn't seem to applaud much for some of the oldest performers who died since the last Oscars (Evelyn Keyes, Van Johnson); too young to remember who they were, I guess.

Most annoying feature: Interspersing clips of the Best Movie nominees with snippets of supposedly comparable scenes from classic films; this seemed just plain confusing, at least for a viewer whose bedtime it was already past (yawn).

Hugh Jackman is welcome to host the Oscars again. Laughed so hard at the utter implausibility of Anne Hathaway portraying a musical Nixon (sublime surreality!).

Also liked Whoopi's comment re playing a nun in a movie.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 23, 2009 8:50 AM
--------------------------------------------
Wagner's story of skiing with David Niven is quite funny, particularly the part with the brandy.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I definitely enjoyed the oscars last night, for the first time since I was first allowed to stay up and watch it. I loved Hugh Jackman's interview with Baba Wawa (except for the lap dance part, bring the brain bleach). I loved his humility and grace. And I didn't realize, that man can SING! He definitely grew on me last night. Still, I don't really think he's the sexiest man alive.

I liked Latifah's singing, but thought the concept as a whole was cheesey.

Fave dresses: Anne Hathaway, Amy Adams, Natalie Portman, Diane Lane, Kate Winslet

Least fave: Beyonce, Miley, Amanda Bynes, the chick from Frozen Winter, Sofia Loren, Reese Witherspoon.

The most tear-jerking part for me: The mastercard commercial where the dog gets left behind and finds his way home. Best ad of the Super Bowl and Oscars combined, even beating out the crystal ball ad.

And why is the daily mail surprised that Madonna is "aging in reverse?" Haven't they ever heard of botox...er...I mean "Kabbalah water?"

Posted by: eet7e | February 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I tuned into the Oscars as Steve Martin was walking off the stage and saw:

Aniston/Black presentations
* Painful
* His limited shtick was safe
* She seemed uncomfortable and flustered

SJP/Craig presentations
* What color Ultresse was that hair?!
* The born-in-a-trunk set pieces were overcomplicated
* The sound was off (plus they both kept tripping over their words, perhaps due to the sound difficulties?)
* It looked like SJP's stylist slammed a too-small dress over the top of her head and that's the place on her body where it jammed stuck and wouldn't budge any further down so they just said, "Oh well, there it stays; we'll cut you out of it later. Just try not to breathe."

Jackman/Beyoncé number
* Horrific
* Bad song choices
* Off-pitch ("Mariiiiiiaaaaaer")
* Wildly disjointed
* Overall just BAD BAD BAD
* The movie musical died at 10 p.m. last night. RIP.

And that was enough for my wife and me, so we changed the channel to "Patton" on AMC and reclaimed our evening.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 23, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh! And..

Tilda Swinton shouldn't be allowed to come back ever again if she continues to dress like that. Bedsheets aren't suitable formal wear, my dear.

And hodie, I'll be your partner on TAR. I'm such a klutz, it'll be great to have someone who can stitch me up after I fall down the steps on the Great Wall of China!

Posted by: eet7e | February 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Joining the acclaim for Pop Winslet whistling when Kate called out to her folks in the audience. First Mom won an onion-pickling contest, now this. Definitely a red-letter week in the Winslet family! (Also noticed that Kate mentioned hubby Sam multiple times, after gushing over Leo and others at the Globes. Agree with others that it was a shame Sean Penn didn't mention wife Robin).

WTF was that on Philip Seymour Hoffman's head? A do-rag?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

td, one could say that SJP's dress was, um, over-the-top.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Note to Ben Stiller: It was funny when you came on-stage as JoPho à la Letterman's show, but it got tired really fast. After the first couple laughs, you should've pulled off the beard and shades, then reverted to your real self.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

There's a Curious Case of Will Smith's Button.

I have HDTV at the casa de snarky, however, HD has its limits. I could make out that Will was wearing a white Greek (equidistant arms) budded cross on his left lapel.

Did anyone else notice? Is this his "I am not a Scientologist" cross? Or perhaps his "I don't care what you think about Prop 8" cross?

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 23, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

mdreader, There are rumors that Will has a house in the San Fernando (or San Gabriel?) Valley where he has rough trysts with males. Maybe that's the hold that $cientology has over him, blackmailing him the way they do Wee Tom and Travolta. I got this from a gay friend in WeHo, whom I find to be a reliable source on such matters.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

And where, oh where, is sorcerer's cat when we really need her? Still sleeping off a post-Oscar party, dear?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

great eet7e! I'll be team doc if you navigate. Mr hodie will tell you I can't find my way out of a paper bag but that's a bit of an exaggeration!

Seems like either you loved or hated Tilda's ensemble. Personally, I'm in the hate it camp. Didn't care for Meryl's gown either. The matte grey dress next to her daughter's dull brown dress looked like they were puritans in ball gowns.

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Perfect, hodie! I've got great direction and I'm really good with maps. :)

Even as a straight female, I have to admit, I was expecting - and kind of hoping - to see SJP's "shoes" come flying out of her dress. After all her insistance about not doing a nude scene in Sex and the City, it would've been terribly hilarious.

Posted by: eet7e | February 23, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

SJP looked like Glenda "the good witch."

Posted by: MzFitz | February 23, 2009 10:42 AM

****************

Yes! I said the exact same thing. I also wondered if her handlers were off in the wings to give her a sugar cube or a carrot when she galloped offstage.

Posted by: MStreet1 | February 23, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

eet7e, I had the same thought as you, although I know that on dresses like SJP's, double-sided tape is applied at all the critical places to minimize the risk.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

When I first read the caption on the photo of Jessica Biel's dress, I read it as "White satin with bow tie pasta." And yes, I've had lunch

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eet7e | February 23, 2009 12:53 PM

----------------------------------------------
Horseshoes?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Sas
Horseshoes?

SPLOOT! The cryptid strikes again.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eet7e | February 23, 2009 12:53 PM

----------------------------------------------
Horseshoes?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 1:04 PM

Yes, can be very dangerous if SJP throws a shoe!

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

SJP looked like Glenda "the good witch."

Posted by: MzFitz | February 23, 2009 10:42 AM

--------------------------------------------
How appropriate for SJP to dress like Glenda Good Witch when her husband is rumored to be a Friend of Dorothy.

Follow the Yellow Brick Road, folks.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

WTF was that on Philip Seymour Hoffman's head? A do-rag?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:06 PM

-------------------------------------------
The Do-Rag-Rag-Rag
The Do-Rag-Rag

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"I also wondered if [SJP's] handlers were off in the wings to give her a sugar cube or a carrot when she galloped offstage."

Excellent, MStreet! Maybe Daniel Craig had sugar cubes in his pocket to keep her animated long enough to announced the whinniers ... er, winners.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 23, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

At least SJP's blue veins on her arms and legs weren't visible on the TV screen.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Oops! On her arms and HANDS!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

oooo!! NosyP - about Will Smith! That's juicy! and I believe it.

re: Sean Penn's acceptance speech - Didn't he and Robin Wright split within the last couple of years?

re: Robert Wagner - Can I turn back the clock, and date him? He seems so classy. (& appreciative of we of the fairer sex.)

I'd just like to interject my 2 pennies on Angelina: Since the red carpet is not your scene, and beneath you. Think about retirement.

Do the real "get your hands dirty" work to help stuggling children like Audrey Hepburn did, and just stop collecting them as a means to employ more nannies and other domestic help.

Miley, your relationship with your dad is normal for someone whose father doesn't want to let go of his 15 minutes, and is trying to leverage his daughter to re-launch a public career that should have ended a while ago. This while making sure the family can milk the cash cow while they still can....

(I'm in a mean mood today - I'll pony up to the tiki bar as soon as it's opened. Once I have my mojito, I'll be better.)

Posted by: anonymouslurker | February 23, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

anon, Robin split from Sean a year or so ago after he cheated on her, but now they're back together. A shame he didn't mention her by name in his speech. However, I differ with my esteemed colleague ep re his comments on the anti-gay demonstrators en route to the theater; they presumably realized that their presence would provoke Penn to comment against their view.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I think Queen Latifah singing was to keep the tacky cheering for dead stars and deafening silence for all other dead folks in check. Since even that didn't work they should just drop it and let the audience act like they've just crowned the king at Hell's Prom.

Posted by: jes11 | February 23, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

but Sas, didn't SJP's cloven boots last week establish she is descended from goats and not horses?

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

On the Octomom front, I read speculation this weekend that her fertility doctor's motivation might've had something to do with Nadya improving his pregnancy success statistics.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 2:28 PM

If that's true, Nosy, that guy ought to be disbarred, declared anathema, or whatever they do to horrid doctors.

VTY,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | February 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

BTW, why would a wonam with 6 living children need a fertility doctor?

Sounds like Medicare ought to investigate.

'sigh',

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | February 23, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, the problem I suspect is with actually proving intent (rather than merely inferring it from the results). Perhaps Dr. hodie or epjd Esq. can help clear the waters re this a bit.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

BTW, why would a wonam with 6 living children need a fertility doctor?
Sounds like Medicare ought to investigate.
'sigh',
Curmudgeon
Posted by: bmschumacher | February 23, 2009 2:52 PM
====
It's even worse than that. All of her previous six were conceived in vitro.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 23, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 2:17 PM

--------------------------------------------
Dammit, Jim...errr...Hodie! I'm a cryptid, not a veterinarian!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

BTW, why would a wonam with 6 living children need a fertility doctor?

Sounds like Medicare ought to investigate.

'sigh',

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | February 23, 2009 2:52 PM

--------------------------------------------

I was going to riff on the closing stanza of the poem "Two Tramps in Mud Time," but couldn't bear the thought of sullying such poetry by using it to poke fun at f@#$ing wacko OctoMom. That woman is such a nutcase that I could probably pin half a dozen DSM IV diagnoses on her in half a dozen minutes. The children need to be made wards of the state, pending their adoption by families that care about each child as an individual instead of as a piece in a large collection.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I wouldn't mind if they placed them with other families in pairs, so the twins among the 14 children could be kept together.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Mudge,
If it is true he did it to improve his statistics,he is indeed scum. Hard to prove it, however, and nothing you could do about it if you did. Surgeons pick and chose cases all the time to improve their outcome statistics. By refusing hi-risk cases, they improve their outcome statistics. That is also why some very good hospitals may have bad outcome statistics--because they take the most difficult cases. That is why I HATE statistics. You can make them say whatever you want.

Also, Medicare is for people over 65 and for the disabled so doubt she is on Medicare. You might be thinking of Medicaid. Trust me they won't care, they cover anything but I don't think she is on Medicaid either.

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Dammit, Jim...errr...Hodie! I'm a cryptid, not a veterinarian!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 23, 2009 3:00 PM

LOL! Sas, do cryptids see doctors or veterinarians? By the way, what do you do for a living? I see you know what the DSM IV is.

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Sas, do cryptids see doctors or veterinarians?

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 3:19 PM

I believe they see whoever the hell they want. By the way sas, how long did it take to watch your paint dry last night?

Posted by: jes11 | February 23, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Sas, do cryptids see doctors or veterinarians?

Posted by: hodie | February 23, 2009 3:19 PM

Well, just as long as they don't see mechanics, or embalmers.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I tried to post a long entry about the Oscars but it's being held for review by Liz--first time that's happened so I guess it was a length thing. I guess I'll just go over to my iTunes directory and watch "Presto"! ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Or taxidermists.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | February 23, 2009 3:41 PM

===

I propose we send the entire script for the 2010 Oscars to Liz for review next year. Maybe she can manage to pare the telecast down to something shorter than the length of "The Amazing Case of Benjamin Button."

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 23, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Not a lot can be done to the OctoDoc. The best bet would be to bring him up before the Medical Board. But, fertility treatments are NOTORIOUSLY unregulated. Also, apparently, lots of docs violate the standards of implanting only 2 embryos at a time. So, he would have a good case to escape punishment.

With how broke CA is, I can see MediCal going after her big time. There is tape of her shopping at Nordstrom's for goodness sakes. The folks of CA who can't cash their refund checks should not be paying for her shopping sprees.

Posted by: epjd | February 23, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

td, one could say that SJP's dress was, um, over-the-top.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 12:09 PM

Just barely...

-The Poster Formerly Known as Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | February 23, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

On second thought, dress wasn't over-the-top. SJP was.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 23, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse