Posted at 9:45 AM ET, 02/18/2009

Morning Mix: Terrence Howard's Abusive Past Surfaces; Mom Tells Lindsay Lohan to Eat More McDonald's

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday

Headlines: Octomom Nadya Suleman says she's not obsessed with Angelina Jolie... Tom Hanks to re-start repaired Large Hadron Collider... Paris Hilton celebrates 28th birthday in New York... Dina Lohan tells scary thin daughter Lindsay to eat more McDonald's... Seth Rogen to appear on Playboy cover... MC Hammer scores A&E reality show... Marlon Jackson invests in planned Nigerian slavery theme park... Ashley Judd calls for end to mountaintop mining... Don Johnson sues for "Nash Bridges" profits.

Crime Watch: Details of Terrence Howard's 2001 domestic violence charges surface... Judge refuses to dismiss Roman Polanski case... Gary Collins charged with driving an RV under the influence.

Rumor Mill: Rihanna allegedly "appalled" by Chris Brown's non-apology; torn over helping police... TomKat to skip Oscars... Angelina Jolie scouts out New York apartment... "Heroes" stars Hayden Panettiere and Milo Ventimiglia split... Katy Perry denies Benji Madden hookup... Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen engaged?

Chat: Former "Daily Show" correspondent Rob Riggle takes your questions about his two seasons with Jon Stewart, his work on "SNL" and "Human Giant" and his former life as a Marine. (2 p.m. ET)

Video: Paris Hilton "raps" for Snoop Dogg...

By Liz Kelly  | February 18, 2009; 9:45 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Weighty Issue: Celebrities by the Pound
Next: Celebs Storm New York Fashion Week

Comments

Is Paris burning? What's she looking for here: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fashion/popupV2.asp?subID=4608&page=64>itle=Celebrities+at+New+York+Fashion+Week&pubdate=2%2F17%2F2009

Posted by: kabuki3 | February 18, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how Queen Liz could miss the Jerry Springer Stimulus Bill!

"Jerry Springer Set to Star in London Production of ‘Chicago’"

Subtitled "Employing Trashy People Worldwide!"

Posted by: elias_howe | February 18, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Okay, that link doesn't work. Go to SeattlePI.com, go to Celebrities at NY Fashion Week, go to photo #64. Or not, it's just Paris looking for something(s).

Posted by: kabuki3 | February 18, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Sorry the mix was so late this morning. The main post will also be slightly delayed -- up around 12:30 p.m. ET.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | February 18, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

There are profits from "Nash Bridges"?

Posted by: pras40 | February 18, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Don Johnson sues for "Nash Bridges" profits... in small claims court.

Jerry Springer to portray Billy Flynn in West End production of Chicago. Tom Wopat, currently starring in the Broadway production and best known for his portrayal of Luke Duke on television's "The Dukes of Hazzard," is far embarrassed by this association than he is by his "Dukes" history. Jerry Orbach, who originated the role, is spinning in his grave.

Marlon Jackson demonstrates the financial aplomb that has so successfully guided the Jackson family's investments over the past 30 years.

Seth Rogen on the cover of Playboy? I guess Heff is taking the nerd-gets-hottie fantasy to its logical extreme...?

Posted by: northgs | February 18, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

elias
"Jerry Springer Set to Star in London Production of ‘Chicago’"

I'd prefer him starring in the Chicago production of "Jerry Springer: The Opera."

Liz
Sorry the mix was so late this morning.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Liz; you're not the only one. Heck, I missed Celebritolgy yesterday entirely.

TomKat to skip Oscars.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now who else would we like to see skip the Oscars? For starters, everyone on the Lizard Island Manhattan Project.

Tom Hanks to re-start repaired Large Hadron Collider.

I was all prepared to snark on this, till I read the article. Now I've changed my mind, and commend Tom for lending the prestige of his celebrity to drawing public attention to this international scientific endeavor (especially after eight years of our own nation waging war against science).

Judge refuses to dismiss Roman Polanski case.

Good. Illegitimi non carborundum, your honor.

Dina Lohan tells scary thin daughter Lindsay to eat more McDonald's.

There are healthful ways to gain weight, for those like Lindsay who seem to need to, but I doubt they're what Dina has in mind. Perhaps Dr. hodie could weigh in (groan) on this topic.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 18, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

northgs
I guess Heff is taking the nerd-gets-hottie fantasy to its logical extreme...?

Did anyone else catch "Big Bang Theory" this week, where two of the nerds track down the "America's Next Top Model" house in LA? I hated BBT at first, but now it's starting to grow on me. Don't know whether the show's getting better, or my tastes are becoming less selective.

Please don't snark on Tom Wopat's musical comedy chops. He's really good, held his own and garnered a Tony nomination on Broadway as Frank Butler in "Annie Get Your Gun" opposite the awesome Bernadette Peters on Broadway (think for example of their duet "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better"). Guess "Dukes of Hazzard" was just a gig he took for the money and fame early in his career. (His ex-co-star John Schneider also croons nicely).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 18, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Michael Jackson can donate something to brother Marlon's new venture. Surely there's SOMETHING at Neverland that might be appropriate.

But a "luxury resort and slavery theme park"? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron? Or did I miss something from when I watched "Roots" all those years ago?

And THIS?! -- "This will be an adventurous ride giving you an historical overview of African music . . . from 300 years ago where music began leading up to the biggest African group in the world, The Jackson Five."

You gotta be kidding. An "adventurous ride" with the Jackson family is reviewing their bank statements. When were the J5 "the biggest African group in the world"? Sometime between "I Want You Back" and "Torture"?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 18, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else read that TomKat news as "TomKat SKIPS to the Oscars?" Cause I did & boy did it make a great mental picture!!LOL!!

Posted by: wadejg | February 18, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

TomKat skips the Oscars??? Wasn't getting for the Oscars why Kat presented one of the bigger Golden Globes award?

Tom Hanks starts LHC. Great promo for your new movie. If you haven't read Angels & Demons, you won't know why I said this.

A slave theme park??????????? Oh don't get me started.

Rihanna, dear, if you are truly "appalled" by his alleged apology, then cooperate with the police. It's the only way to get it through this jerk's head. Too bad I am not licensed in California or I would represent you.

Posted by: epjd | February 18, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

"Hayden Panettiere and Milo Ventimiglia split..."

Yay!

"Rachel Bilson and Hayden Christensen engaged?"

Boo.

I was so hoping for a Hayden Panettiere/Hayden Christensen match up.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 18, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Paris Hilton sure has got it going on. For her 28th birthday, she got to choose between hanging with the "surprisingly svelte but unsurprisingly greasy" Brandon Davis and Mickey Rourke.

Blondes really do have more fun, I guess.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 18, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

This Mix was worth waiting for. (The news about Marlon Jackson alone is both fascinating and horrifying enough to keep me agape through midafternoon.)

I do wonder how Tom Hanks will restart the LHC. Will it be like a ball game? Do they give him a lump of anitmatter and let him throw out the first neutron?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 18, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Paris Hilton is only 28? Talk about rode hard and. . . .

So she was born in 1981 then. Man, do I feel ancient. At least I can comfort myself in the knowledge that the NYPost never called me, "surprisingly svelte but unsurprisingly greasy," as Brandon Davis was at Paris' party. Ouch.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 18, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

(Sorry, mdreader. Didn't see you'd scooped me re: greasy Brandon.)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 18, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Four comments about the Marion Jackson investment in Nigeria:

#1 So that's what all those e-mails from Nigeria are all about!

#2 Nothing says more about the collective triumph over the horrors of slavery than hanging out in a fancy resort that has greener grass and cleaner water than anywhere else in the nation.

#3 "[The] goal is to make Nigeria a "major world player" in African tourism. Gary Loster, former mayor of the city of Saginaw, Michigan, who is involved in the project, said the group hopes that the project can eventually be turned over to Nigerian owners."

When I think "major world player in tourism," Saginaw, Michigan does not spring to mind.

#4 "from hologram images, concert footage, a state of the art recording facility, to robotic figures displaying the rhythmic beats" And how is this different from Branson, Missouri?

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 18, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

ep

Apparently Oscar people are trying to deflate the Globes' popularity with its attendant publicity by threatening to refuse to allow Globe presenters to present Oscar awards. So maybe Katie's being punished.

Bawlmer, Tom Hanks is just flipping a switch. It's less physically or intellectually taxing than, say, presiding over the opening of a session of the NYSE or whacking a bottle of champagne against a ship's hull, both of which activities celebs routinely manage with reasonable aplomb. But I commend Hanks for bringing his fame to this project.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 18, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the moniker "Greasy Brandon" is bound to stick.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 18, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I was so hoping for a Hayden Panettiere/Hayden Christensen match up.

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 18, 2009 11:40 AM
-----------------------------
As what? Some sort of worst actor eugenics project?

Posted by: yellojkt | February 18, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

There are two very good reasons to watch The Big Bang Theory:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 18, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

"Angelina Jolie scouts out New York apartment" -- I hope the kids are getting tour t-shirts with the names and dates of all their homes printed on the back.

Either that or those travel stickers you see on luggage in old movies.

Maybe Frito-Lay can print and send them some of both along with the next 24-pack Cheetos shipment. Throw in a few passport covers as well.

Sorting photos into albums must be a nightmare for this family. "Brad, was this from when we stayed with George at Lake Como or that stroll at Cap Ferrat with The Edge?" "Which time, Ang? Ask one of the nannies."

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | February 18, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

TomKat not attending Oscars ... woo hoo!! One more reason to watch. Here's hoping Brangelina does too ...

Clown Car Vagina is obsessed with having babies. That we know. As for Brangelina, they are just obsessed with moving from house to house.

If what we read about Rihanna is true, that girl needs some help. Classic abuse case. Very sad.

Posted by: Californian11 | February 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Salma Hayek marries her ex-fiancee:

Posted by: Californian11 | February 18, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Terrence Howard and Marlon Jackson - 2 poster boys for the JWs.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer to see Jerry star in a off- Broadway production of "Death of a Salesman." Saginaw strikes me a an excellent venue. This way, I don't think we would every hear of him again.

Of course, Jerry would play Linda Loman, Jerry just loves drag!

Posted by: elias_howe | February 18, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Come on! I love Saginaw, Michigan - so remote, so undiscovered, so quiet - the Dune buggy rides are fantastic. Never a line - never a bunch of annoying tourists...oh. Maybe the mayor shouldn't be giving out tips to attract tourists after all?

Why not have Brangelina move to Saginaw when they're done with their New York apartment - by say, next week or the week after?

Posted by: Amelia5 | February 18, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the URL, yellojkt. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad I read that again. Originally I thought it said, "Tom Cruise to start Large Hadron Collider." But that is illogical TC does not believe in Hadrons.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 18, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and come home, Roman. There's a nice spot in San Quentin just waiting for you to check in.

Posted by: reddragon1 | February 18, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

If only it had been the four nerd characters of "Big Bang Theory" starting the Large Hadron Collider!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 18, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Folks, please spell carefully when writing about that Collider. It's the Large Hadron Collider, not the Large Hardon Collider.

Thank you.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 18, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 18, 2009 2:06 PM

Tee-hee. We need a hardon spell checker.

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 18, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Thank you.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 18, 2009 2:06 PM

Maybe that was why the Mix was late this morning?

Posted by: northgs | February 18, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

RIP, legendary jazz drummer Louie Bellson, who died this past weekend. A peer of the late Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich (although apparently much pleasanter than either of them), his work spanned over 60 years. E.g., early in his career he played with Washingtonian Duke Ellington's band, before switching to bebop and other genres.

Bellson's wife of many years, the late Pearl Bailey, turned DC on its ear in the 1970s when in mid-life she enrolled at Georgetown University, to get the higher education she'd missed out on during her youth. I recall Bellson and Bailey appearing together on Channel 5's midday talk show "Panorama," with then-youthful host Maury Povich.

(Sas, dear, before you ask: no, I can't recommend a CD or two of Bellson's for you. The man was a prolific musician, so there'd be too many to choose from.)

BTW, Pearl Bailey also dazzled at the KenCen in the title role in a Black production of "Hello Dolly," with Cab Calloway as Horace. The night we attended, VP Rockefeller and his wife were in the audience, so after the show Pearl and Cab performed several other numbers for their honored guests (as well as us poor kids up in the nosebleed seats), for a positively magical, memorable evening.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 18, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I was an undergrad when Pearl Bailey was. Shows my age.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 18, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Sas
Shows my age.

A silvery cryptid?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 18, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I was an undergrad when Pearl Bailey was. Shows my age.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 18, 2009 2:58 PM

Was it kinda like "The Human Stain" in reverse?

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 18, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I was an undergrad when Pearl Bailey was. Shows my age.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 18, 2009 2:58 PM

"All the Fine Young Cannibals".

Posted by: jezebel3 | February 18, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...I'm not sure to whom the "Human Stain" and "Fine Young Cannibals" references apply.

Pearl Bailey didn't hide her identity, but she didn't act like an A-List Diva, either. By all reports, she was happy to be Pearl bailey, undergraduate.

I was able to blend into the college crowd as a human. But I had a little trouble with the Jewish part. All my NY-NJ peeps busted my Jewish roleplay immediately.

Silvery Cryptid? Yes. In patches and spots. Last time I grew a beard one of my managers told me I looked like Santa Claus.

Take my word: Do NOT tell a Quatchi Silverback that he looks like Santa Claus.

Posted by: angelos_peter | February 18, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I could care less about the Large Hadron Collider, particulary because now that Hayden Christensen is engaged, all my hopes for a Large Hayden Collider with Hayden Panettiere are dashed.

Perhaps Tom Hanks can steal away Rachel Bilson. His wife, Rita won't mind. It's for science!

Posted by: mdreader01 | February 18, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

There are two very good reasons to watch The Big Bang Theory:

Posted by: yellojkt | February 18, 2009 12:17 PM

If you haven't watched this show, start with the Christmas episode and you'll be hooked.

Posted by: jes11 | February 18, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse