Posted at 8:40 AM ET, 03/12/2009

Patrick Swayze Denies He's Close to Death; Chris Brown Withdraws from Kids' Choice Running

By Liz Kelly
Thursday

Headlines: Chris Brown drops out of Kids' Choice Awards running; manager denies sending Grammy night text... Patrick Swazye debunks tabloid reports of his imminent death... George Clooney-flavored tofu, anyone?... Will Smith and wife Jada Pinkett-Smith open private elementary school... E! donates money to Brangelina charity foundation (and yet Seacrest was still snubbed)... Michael Jackson adds dates to sold out London shows; set list released... Lindsay Lohan set to launch self-tanning product line... Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas lunch in D.C. with former defense secretary William Cohen... Mickey Rourke confirmed for "Iron Man" sequel... Bristol Palin and fiance Levi Johnson split... Mandy Moore and Ryan Adams marry... Anne Heche gives birth to son Atlas Heche Tupper.

Pix: Scrubs' Zach Braff snapped researching medical marijuana at a New York club?

Rumor Mill: Jennifer Aniston and John Mayer off again?; Jeweler says she's not designing engagement ring for the couple... Tabloid claims Angelina Jolie busted Brad Pitt getting cozy with nanny... Joaquin Phoenix jumps fan at Miami hip-hop show... Amy Winehouse spends $26,000 on new wardrobe... John Stamos to star in "E.R." spin-off... Jennifer Love Hewitt dating "Ghost Whisperer" co-star Jaime Kennedy?

Video: John Hamm goes bald in "Funny or Die" clip...

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's 60 minutes in heaven, Celebritology Live. Then switch gears for the "Lost" Hour at 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | March 12, 2009; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Material Girl: Madonna's Stuff on Display and Up for Sale
Next: Catching Up with Charlie Murphy

Comments

Yet another reason to love Jon Hamm. Doesn't take his pretty boy image so seriously that he won't wear the bald cap for a laugh.

Posted by: pras40 | March 12, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

"Anne Heche gives birth to son Atlas Heche Tupper."

She named her other kid Homer......

"Tabloid claims Angelina Jolie busted Brad Pitt getting cozy with nanny"

Where do I send my resume?

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 12, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

How fantastic to watch that Hamm clip after a soggy, crummy commute. Even in a cheesy bald-cap, Jon Hamm is a total fox.

Clooney Tofu--aka CloFu. There are so many things that could be said. . .

Posted by: jelo | March 12, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Amy Winehouse's $26K wardrobe:
Old Navy sweatpants (Boys', medium) - $15
T-shirt, found on road - $0
Cocaine, spilled by Amy of front of t-shirt - $25,985

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 12, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

And don't Levi & Bristol properly belong in the "Two More Teenagers Too Dumb To Use Condoms" blog, and not C-tology?

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 12, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I wonder how many pairs of ballet slippers can be bought with $26,000...

Posted by: MzFitz | March 12, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Bristol Palin and the father of her child Levi Johnson have officially broken up. I'm shocked. I thought the Palins were good Christian conservatives that believed in family values and the sanctity of marriage.

Posted by: buffysummers | March 12, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Here's a quote from Jada Pinkett Smith:

The student body is ethnically and economically diverse, she said, "which is a very difficult thing to find in Los Angeles, Calif."

Posted by: 44west | March 12, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

What could have caused Bristol and Levi's split. Hmmm its a mystery! Because it can't be that they were forced into a shotgun engagement after Bristol announced she was pregnant and paraded all over the country to prove that a vice presidential candidate had strong family values.

Nope there must be some other reason those two crazy kids can't work it out.

Posted by: sjcpeach | March 12, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: buffysummers | March 12, 2009 9:21 AM

Bristol's taxpayer provided health coverage would have gone down the tubes if she got married. Gotta love those kind of Palin Christians!! Can you say hypocrites?

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 12, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Mmmm...I love me some Hamm for breakfast. Thanks Liz!

Posted by: beaker1 | March 12, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

I adore the Clooney but I will not partake of clo-fu. I draw the line at eating his sweat. I'm also uncomfortable with the thought that PETA seems to be serious about this.

I'm absolutely stunned that the Palin kid is now an unwed teen mom. Stunned, didn't see that one coming at all.

Fingers crossed that Amy's new wardrobe includes a clean pair of ballet flats and accessories such as: combs, mirrors and assorted perfumes.

Lilo's first self tan shade Oompla Lumpa orange. That was entirely too easy.

Posted by: petalceleb | March 12, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Those PETA people are insane!! Literally. Leave George Clooney alone and give him back his sweaty towel. Or just wash it. Ew.

Posted by: msame | March 12, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

We can just take some comfort knowing that teenage parents Jamie Lynn and Casey are still together and going strong! :)

Posted by: suzannepdc | March 12, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Here's a quote from Jada Pinkett Smith:

Posted by: 44west | March 12, 2009 9:22 AM

Here's another pithy quote from Nitwit Smith:

"More and more parents were like, 'Can we come?'" she said. "Then my house started to fill up. We had like 20 kids and I said, `We might as well start a school.'"

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 12, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"I'm no Californian, but, um, I sort of had the opposite impression of LA. Isn't it the epitome of ethnic and economic diversity?"

Jada had a brain fart - she meant to say Beverly Hills, Malibu, et al and not LA...

Posted by: itsagreatday1 | March 12, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

So much good stuff and all I can muster is a half-hearted "meh". Don't know what's up - I'm fresh out of snark.

HELP!!

Posted by: jaybbub | March 12, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Oh dear, according to mAnn Coulter Bristol's child is now destined for the slammer.

How long before Levi accepts money to spill the beans on the real story of the Palin family?

Posted by: jes11 | March 12, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't mind tasting Clooney's sweat but flavored tofu was not what I had in mind, if you know what I mean. ;)

Patrick Swayze's comments remind me of Monty Python plague character's line "I'm not quite dead yet" as they heft him into the body cart. But I must say, Way to be strong, Patrick!

The Pinkett-Smith school uses Scientology methodology in their teaching which includes repetition until 100% achievement. Average age at graduation...30.

Good job, Anne Heche, give your child the weight of the world at such a tender age. Jeez!

Posted by: hodie | March 12, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

jaybbub there is always sending out some love to the swayze a day early....

I hear you though, I am meh too...

Posted by: LTL1 | March 12, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

You're right, LTL1.

Love you Patrick! Stay strong.

Posted by: jaybbub | March 12, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

LiLo to launch a self-tanner line? PETA should be happy; we've all seen plenty of photo proof that she used herself, not fuzzy cuddly bunnies, as a test subject.

Posted by: northgs | March 12, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

You want meh, i'll give you meh!
Yesterday in Memphis it was 80. Today it's 34 and raining w/occasional ice. It's supposed to continue raining until Sunday. Seriously.

Back to the lovebirds, I think Levi broke up with Bristol because NOW she gets that whole abstinence thing.

Posted by: memphis1 | March 12, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking the same thing, jes. My parents adore Coulter - which is why I don't go home very often. My mom always recites from her last book that "there is no excuse for unwed mothers. Divorcees and widows are a different story, but unwed mothers are the cause of all the hooligans in society." I wonder what she'll say now that her girl's now the grandmother of a bastard child.
Way to stay classy, Palin family.

Much love to the Swayze. I think I'll watch Keeping Mum tonight to show my support.

Of course Zach Braff is researching medical marijuana, it's for a role, duh! :P

Posted by: eet7e | March 12, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

It should be pretty clear that I'm a big fan of Clooney, right?

I was so horrified by the CloFu story that I spilled coffee all over my pants.

(fists upraised, a la Shatner) PETAAAAA!

Oy. I don't even know where to start with the wrong on this one. This might be worse than their plan to convince Ben and Jerry's to use human breast milk in their ice creams; at least breast milk is meant to be consumed. Leave it to PETA to take weird celebrity obsession to a whole new level.

(I am kind of amused by the thought of an Ocean's Eleven variety tofu platter, though. Maybe you could fry up some CloFu and PittFu, wrap it with rice and nori, and call it a Sweatlodge Roll.)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 12, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

eet7e, I just saw Keeping Mum the other night. Had it DVR'd and finally got around to watching it. Loved Swayze as the smarmy overly tanned American golf pro and the scene in the maintenance shed was my favorite.

Posted by: milesdy | March 12, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

From Eonline:

Lost: A Major Character Death Is Coming

Inside sources spill that a major character death is coming—and that the person who is leaving the show was not the first to know.

So, could it be Evie? If not, who is it?

Here's what I can tell you about this death:

A current series regular is getting killed before the end of season five.

The character who will die is someone who is much-loved by many of you fans.
This is a real leaving-the-show death, à la Shannon or Charlie, not a quick-fix time-travel death like Jeremy Bentham/John Locke.
The character getting killed off is not, I repeat, not Evie's character Kate Austen.

And a source close to the show tells me that the person who's being killed off just learned of their character's fate late last week, and the news hit hard. "Unfortunately, [he or she] found out after the script treatments were sent out to some of the crew on the set," says my source. "So it wasn't the best timing."

As for the timing of when this death will happen onscreen, I can only tell you that while the character's end is still a ways out, it will go down this season.

Posted by: facey1 | March 12, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: facey1 | March 12, 2009 10:59 AM

My IQ just dropped 10 points.

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 12, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

PETA is marketing CloFu in order to do what PETA does best - attract attention to the organization.

That said, I'd kind of like that job where you sit around and think up crazy stunts, like CloFu, and sending naked people to Capital Hill, and such.

Posted by: trichobezoar | March 12, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Here's a quote from Jada Pinkett Smith:

Posted by: 44west | March 12, 2009 9:22 AM

It's not the ethnic or economic diversity that will be difficult to find. It's whether or not the ethnically and economically diverse kids will pass muster and get the "Scientology Approved" brand on their backside!

Posted by: ChaoticCracker | March 12, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Actually the schools aren't that diverse in LA...you get schools with mostly white, or mostly black, or mostly rich, mostly poor, etc. The city is diverse but the schools reflect the neighborhoods they are set in and they tend to be limited in diversity.

Posted by: mlc2 | March 12, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

"Rugged Leading Man Is a Little Bit Broadway, a Little Bit Country"

Rave review for Tom Wopat's gig in the Oak Room at NYC's Algonquin Hotel, proving that it IS possible to live down "The Dukes of Hazzard"!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

So much snark, so little time! Where to even begin?

Don't know who Charlie Murphy is, but my eyes are still stinging from the atomic bomb blast of looking at his overly whitened teeth.

Will Amy Wine-o's wardrobe include some real shoes and will she finally toss those gross, filthy ballet shoes?

WTF is up with celebs not being able to keep their hands off the nanny? Didn't Robin Williams marry his nanny, then we have Jude Law, Ethan Hawke, and the list goes on and on.

Private Scientolocult school?

Bristol Palin and her "fiance" split. There's a shocker. How's that abstinence and forcing your kid to get married working out, Sarah?

Atlas?!? Atlas TUPPER?! Oh, that poor kid.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 12, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I just checked out the Bristol Palin story and this is what I found amusing, a source said,'it's unclear what precipitated it (the breakup)'.

Really? It's unclear? Anyone here want to take a stab at it?

Posted by: jes11 | March 12, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

What does baby Tupper wear?

Will we know when Atlas shrugs?

So Bristol Palin takes away mother Sarah's M|LF title. Given a choice between doing an 18 year-old and a 40-something year-old who's popped out 5 kids, which would you choose? (This assumes that you like women.)

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 12, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, male or female to me it's "ugly on the inside, ugly on the outside".

Posted by: Californian11 | March 12, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, male or female to me it's "ugly on the inside, ugly on the outside".

Posted by: Californian11 | March 12, 2009 1:15 PM
--------------------------------------------
Hmmmm....good point. Let me add to the assumptions:

You are a hard-core, Jesus-lovin', gay-hatin', gun-totin Republican who previously thought that Sarah Palin was $h|t hot.

Or you're Kenny of South Park who's heard about this girl who gives BJ's in the parking lot of TGI Fridays and wants to get one before he dies...again.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 12, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

jes

Really? It's unclear? Anyone here want to take a stab at it?

Well, jes, far be it from me to defend a member of the Palin clan, but in this case I wonder if Bristol's shown more inclination than Levi toward completing a high school education, and might even be harboring aspirations to attend college afterwards (her mother and maternal grandfather are both college grads, after all, so it's not entirely far-fetched). Levi doesn't strike me as academically-inclined, and might even have tried to dampen any interests Bristol has in that direction.

I could be totally wrong on this, of course...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mlc2 | March 12, 2009 12:00 PM

Not always the case, there are a lot of specialty schools (I forget what they're actually called and I have one practically next door, Magnet? Charter? something else?). I live in a predominantly white neighborhood near the Marina and the student body out in the schoolyard is 90% black and latino. Just sayin'.

I was watching an episode of the hilarious and risque Friday Night Project (what the brits get away with on television occasionally blows my mind--I'd forgotten) from 2007 on You Tube yesterday and Amy Winehouse was the musical guest. She is UNRECOGNIZABLE as the same woman today except for the hair and makeup. She was pretty, funny, with-it and very cool. It was a serious bummer. What a waste.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 12, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, I agree. Bristol seems to have her act pretty much together, whereas Levi looks like a frat-boy jock who has yet to grow up. I gained a lot of respect for her after she came out and said that teen motherhood is not something young women should aspire to.

I really wonder what Mama Palin thinks of all this.

Posted by: northgs | March 12, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Michael Jackson's "bosses were concerned [he] might veer away from his greatest hits."

And veer off into country and western, like all the other comeback kids these days?

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 12, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 12, 2009 2:02 PM

No, they were afraid he'd veer into Raffi-land.

Posted by: northgs | March 12, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake today (must caffineate), but can someone give me a comment-acceptable clue as to how to read something into the Brit song title? I've said it out loud, still am not getting the entendre or whatnot. (I have not listened to the video, if that is required to "get it" I suppose I can force myself to do it, but I'd prefer to keep my stores of brain bleach topped up.)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 12, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, dear, it's like this:
If = F
SeekA = C K

Now go get that brain bleach, stat!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

sorcerers_cat, I suspect your problem was that you were looking for something far more clever and subtle. But remember, this is Brittany...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

er, Britney. Sheesh, she can't even spell her own name right.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks nosy--I actually did *try* a variation of that formula but thought it was so unbearably lame it had to be something else!

Coffee with a dollop of brain bleach coming right up.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 12, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

cat
so unbearably lame

Word!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 12, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I gained a lot of respect for her after she came out and said that teen motherhood I gained a lot of respect for her after she came out and said that teen motherhood is not something young women should aspire to.

I really wonder what Mama Palin thinks of all this.

Posted by: northgs | March 12, 2009 1:49 PM

That was a good line but to me, she really earned respect when she directly contradicted Mama Palin by saying that abstinence only programs don't work.

Posted by: jes11 | March 12, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Why is Britney asking us to f*** her?

Is it because her career is already pretty well f***ed?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 12, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse