Posted at 12:30 AM ET, 03/18/2009

Conflicting Reports on Natasha Richardson's Condition; Lilo's Driver in Fender Bender

By Liz Kelly

Jack Black and wife Tanya Haden arrive at the premiere of 'I Love You, Man' Tuesday night in Hollywood. (Getty Images)
Wednesday

Headlines: Natasha Richardson in New York hospital; unconfirmed reports say actress is brain dead; family gathers at bedside... John Mayer tweets "this heart didn't come with instructions"... Lindsay Lohan's driver gets into early morning fender bender (with Lilo on board)... Rihanna makes solo New York visit... Diminutive Christina Ricci engaged to giant... Go-Go Belinda Carlisle cut from "Dancing with the Stars"... Ellen DeGeneres to play Mother Nature in upcoming comedy... George Michael paid $2 million for one hour of work... Stacy Keach hospitalized... Actor David Prowse (Darth Vader) treated for prostate cancer... Oprah's 8-week-old puppy dies... Neighbors complain about outdoor toilet on Bob Dylan's Malibu property.

Pix & Vid: A-Rod admires himself in Details magazine... Gwyneth Paltrow and Madonna fete Valentino in New York.

Crime Watch: Amy Winehouse pleads innocent to assault.

Rumor Mill: Married LeAnn Rimes hooking up with Lifetime movie co-star?... Reese Witherspoon and Jake Gyllenhaal engaged?... Nick Cannon denies he's hard up for cash... Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen to have second wedding ceremony... Miley Cyrus calls the paparazzi herself, says one photog... Justin Timberlake developing tequila brand?... Mel Gibson demanded X-rated sushi sculpture, says chef.

Say What?
"My YouTube recommendations would have me believe I only like watching street fights and combustible flatulence." -- A random thought from John Mayer

"I get texts that say things like, 'Don't wear the velvet jacket because it's weird and embarrassing.'" -- Clive Owen on his harshest critics: daughters Hannah and Eve

"She is a ridiculous old bag, jumping around on stage at her age." -- Jesus Luz's 18-year-old ex-girlfriend on Madonna.

By Liz Kelly  | March 18, 2009; 12:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Julia Roberts: Comeback Kid?
Next: Who is Rashida Jones?

Comments

John Mayer's tweets: now we know where he jots down his lyrics.

Belinda Carlisle cut from "DWTS" - I guess when we band broke up, Kathy Valentine got custody of the beat.

"George Michael paid $2 million for one hour of work," prompting yet another episode of "Andrew Ridgely gets roaring drunk and smashes furniture."

I wouldn't want to be the doctor who had to say, "Lord Vader, please turn your head and cough."

The neighbors' chief complaint about Bobby's outdoor toilet: The pump don't work 'cause the vandals took the handles.

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 18, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Kind of a downer of a news day with the Richardson accident(hope the brain dead reports are premature), David Krouse's prostate cancer and Stacy Keach hospitalized. I only saw Stacy Keach just about two weekends ago when he was in Cinci doing Frost/Nixon. I was very pleasantly suprised by the production and Stacy stole every scene he was in. He was excellent as Nixon. Wish him a speedy recovery.

I think it is too soon to say what kind of recovery Richardson will have. If there is significant edema(swelling) of the brain, it may look worse than it actually is and hopefully there will be some recovery after the swelling goes down. If she does recover, she will likely have a very long road ahead of her and she may not be the same Natasha they knew yesterday.

Ok, seriousness aside...
Did Lindsay hire her driver from the Britney School of driving? How does one crash into a wall??

Watched about 10min of DWTS two nights ago and caught Belinda's dance (that's why I could watch no more). Did anyone besides me think that she has the same plastic surgeon as Pricilla Presley?

Writer for the Bob Dylan piece took my joke with the Blowin in the Wind line.

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 18, 2009 10:07 AM

LOL!! Could also be awkward during the cardiovascular exam when you have to ask "Lord Vader, can you please hold your breath, I can't hear your heart over your heavy breathing".

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Just a comment from a troll - hasn't B. Carlisle always looked like a bad plastic surgery victim?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 18, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I fervently hope the Richardson reports are untrue and that, if they are, those irresponsible media outlets will apologize for their lack of sensitivity. (Ha!)

The picture of A-Rod is priceless. He will NEVER live it down; not in any major league stadium. What a tool.

Posted by: pras40 | March 18, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, Kathy Valentine got the beat, and Jane Wiedlin got all the royalties. Belinda should spend more time on her voice anyway; last time I heard her try to sing it was pretty rough.

(It was a "Today" show appearance of the Go-Gos while Katie Couric was still there. KC mispronounced Jane Wiedlin's last name and Jane was HOT but Katie rolled right over her. The band sounded great but Belinda? Not so much.)

Scary Mel Gibson pic! Was he posing as the Joker for a deck of cards?

Oprah's puppy died and this was not the headline? For SMAME, Liz Kelly! I wonder who just got fired because of this event.

Tom and Gisele's second wedding means separation is imminent.

Isn't Nick Cannon still married to Mariah Carey? If so, how could cash possibly be an issue for him? (Personality and charm, sure, but cash?!)

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 18, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Hodie, since we don't really know anything at all about Ms. Richardson's condition other than that it's bad, it's way too soon to be saying anything. She may have edema that will resolve, she may have ruptured an undiagnosed aneurysm, we have no idea. But I definitely agree that whatever recovery she makes (please God, for her kids' sake), it will be a long, difficult road, for her and her family.

Posted by: northgs | March 18, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

I had to laugh like hell at the comment from Madonna's boytoy's ex-girlf.

I didn't see how old she was, and I'd guess Jesus' predicliction for much older women probably has to do with this particular woman, but can you imagine being asked, at what is likely 17-20 years old (think how comfortable and self-assured you were at that age) to comment on why you got dumped for a woman who has been an international superstar for longer than you've been alive?

Posted by: capecodner424 | March 18, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Various geeks are running a 'Vote The Worst' style sympathy campaign for Woz. Not that I watch DWTS, but just sayin'.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 18, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

it's a sad day. i've always admired natasha richardson, her talent and the fact that she seems to be a terrific person. lots of speculation in the press, but from the looks on the faces of her mother and others at the hospital last night, the reality is terrible. what a shocking situation.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

on the proverbial lighter note: just what the heck is wrong w/a-rod? talk about a narcissist. and an insecure narcissist. the reporter said he'd had a few shots of tequila. well, that was a path better not taken. he has never improved a team. his individual stats are decent, but he's not a team player. eek. can only imagine the atmosphere in the yankees locker room. his teammate and team captain is off playing for the usa in the current world baseball classic. much better use of time than smooching oneself in the mirror. double eek.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 18, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"Diminutive Christina Ricci engaged to giant." As a friend of mine once said of dating a much taller partner, "Sure, dancing's awkward, but everything else works out just fine."

Pras40, even his teammates are going to give A-Rod a hard time over that pic. And the fans in Boston are going to crucify him.

So if Mel Gibson has a thing for cold fish, what *was* he doing with that bunny on that Costa Rican beach?

Ellen DeGeneres to play Mother Nature, will reveal that global warming is a symptom of menopause.

Posted by: northgs | March 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I would like to incorporate "this heart didn't come with instructions" into my daily life, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be clear enough I was being ironic.

Posted by: paujwill | March 18, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Re: Mr. Mayer's heart not coming with instructions -- perhaps he should have looked more closely at the listings; most resellers will tell you when items don't come in the original box or with the manual.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | March 18, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Based on the A-Rod picture, I can't wait to see what he does when someone in Fenway yells, "Hey A-Rod! Go f@#$ yourself!"

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 18, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Jesus's ex-girlfriend has it right.

Madonna is ridiculous.

Posted by: kjohnson3 | March 18, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I think "this heart didn't come with instructions" is the perfect caption for that A-Rod picture.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes out as the first openly gay professional athlete. It would certainly explain the Madonna fascination.

Posted by: MStreet1 | March 18, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Here's an unscheduled Wednesday shout-out to Natasha Richardson and her friends and family. We're all hoping for the best.

And that report on Mel Gibson is worth checking out if only because he looks like Snidely Whiplash in the accompanying photo. I'm voting for Mel Brooks to play Dudley Do-Right.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 18, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Time for the Dragon to charge out and defend Madge again (you don't know how painful this is). She may look like an old bag jumping around on stage to an 18-year-old, but we should all be so lucky to have that kind of energy at that age. Mick Jagger immediately comes to mind on the male side of the equation. Both of them look well-used, but (ho) can still sing, and dance.

Woz dances like Penn Gillette, only shorter.

I'll bet the talk in the Yankees dugout is always interesting, though not as much as is was when Yogi Berra was there. The Mets dugout, if they hold to tradition, doesn't have much talk because they are ignoring the "No Smoking" sign.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 18, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Plus Mel Brooks is clearly Inspector Fenwick. Looks like Owen Benjamin could be Do-Right.

Plus where is the full-length shot of Jack Black and Tanya Haden? I want to see where his hands are.--Never mind, he always looks like he's got his hands in a naughty place.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hmm - the only positive takeaway from the Madonna/Gwyneth article? I want that dress Claire Danes is wearing.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | March 18, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

chamosaur, Claire Danes OK, but Anne Hathaway will always be Richard Nixon to me.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 18, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Dear John, apparently your brain didn't come with instructions, either.

Dear Alex, your liver may not have come with instructions, but replacing steroids with shots of Patron is NOT a good idea. Geez, at least hold out for Justin Timberlake's tequilla.

Wow. How many ex-girlfriends does 18-year old Jesus have? His heart must have the same lack of instructions as John Mayer's.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 18, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Trivia quiz: Who's Jack Black's famous father-in-law?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Is A-Rod-in-the-mirror more "I Feel Pretty" ("West Side Story") or "I Believe In You" ("How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying")?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The A-Rod in the mirror shot reminded me more of what happens when my dog catches a glimpse of himself in the mirror and runs up to challenge the other dog.

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, it's definitely the "I Feel Pretty" scene.

Posted by: pras40 | March 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Is there any other place besides Hollywood where the geekiest, sweatiest, fattest, most unattractive men can marry physically attractive women? Really sets regular geeks up for failure.

Why is Natasha Richardson being moved around so much? Third hospital in as many days ... is that risky for a head injury?

Well, I get it re. Christina Ricci. Small women often like big men. Her beau is one tall drink o' water!!

Posted by: Californian11 | March 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

What shade of radioactive is Valentino's face?

Posted by: Californian11 | March 18, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of nothing, and because I feel like this is the only place to ask this kind of question: has anyone else been getting the ad for Consumer Reports Health that appears to be two animated pill capsules riding stationary bikes? Is anyone else momentarily startled each time it pops up because it looks like, um, personal massagers riding bicycles? Anyone? Just me, then. Hokay.

And on topic, I sincerely hope the reports about Natasha Richardson are exaggerated. She seems like a genuinely decent and warm person, and you hate to see bad things happen to good people.

Posted by: Wikijen | March 18, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The new Yankees locker room is supposed to be the best thing ever, very spacious and fully equipped with the latest luxuries, but something tells me his teammates will make sure #13's has a larger-than-standard-issue mirror.

Any takers for a wager on how long it'll take an opposing team's sound guy to play "Man in the Mirror" before Alex comes up to bat?

Reddragon, the Mets dugout may be catching up to the Yankees in terms of interesting convo. With the addition of A-Rod and Damon, the IQ of the Yankees bench dropped a few points. Cumulative points.

Posted by: northgs | March 18, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked Natasha Richardson because she and Liam Neeson keep their kids' lives out of the public eye, which I'm sure isn't easy to do. What she and her family are going through is very, very scary. Oy.

Posted by: jaybbub | March 18, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 10:20 AM

YES!!!! I thought the exact same thing! Also, check out Cheryl Tieg and Paulina Porizkova. They look the same! Don't even get me started on Lisa Rinna vs the Octomom.

And I'm a huge Yankees fan and I wish they would just trade A-Rod for Zimmerman already. But I can't take the tangent off onto baseball. This is a celebritology chat! That picture is pretty funny! I bet that's the real reason he and Madonna split. Their narcissism competed too much.

Posted by: eet7e | March 18, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering what sort on injury Natasha Richardson sustained. Beginners normally are not going too fast, so the potential for trauma is usually low. However, reports of the incident -- if true -- are suspicious. An instructor would call the ski patrol only if it appeared that the pupil had fallen hard and possibly sustained an injury. Was she going very fast? Did she fall very hard? Did she fall at an odd angle, such that the impact was in the area of the brain stem? Did the impact rupture an aneurysm? Did the impact cause an embolism to break loose? Or did one of these things trigger the fall? The accident report and any diagnostic reports that are released will be very interesting.

I can't fathom the feeling of getting a phone call saying that your spouse is brain dead.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 18, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

It's too bad that Linsay Lohan doesn't dress butch. If she did, the headline could have read, "Gender Bender in Fender Bender"

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 18, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Sas, when you get that phone call, you just go all numb, in denial. Then it gets worse.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I was referring to loved ones in general, not to Mr. P, who was still very much alive and kicking last I checked a few hours ago.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Sas,

I'm also filled with questions. According to some neurologists, for some people, it doesn't take much of a bonk to the head to cause swelling. A "normal" tumble off of skis could cause it.

From everything I read, the ski patrol tried to convince her to seek treatment. She agreed to be hospitalized after she started feeling poorly.

I read one neurologist comment that said that sometimes, with some trauma, there is nothing you can do. That's why neurologists suggest we wear helmets. Perhaps the DWTS "celebs" should be wearing helmets. Who knows?

From all accounts, it was a freak occurance. If the worst outcome is realized, it is a horrible thing to happen to such a nice person.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 18, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to hear that the "you" is colloquial.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe an aneurysm caused Natasha's fall?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

nosy, no question about it - the winner is "i feel pretty, oh so pretty...". kudos to you for thinking of it.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 18, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

***
normally, you're right. it's very risky. however, she's not going to recover and they wanted to get her home so all family and friends could be w/her.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 18, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Podiattrist-turned-songwriter Jack Lawrence has died at age 96. For younger Lizards he might be most famous as the lyricist of the song "Linda," written for Linda Eastman when she was a young child (she grew up to become Linda McCartney). He penned many other hits in the Big Band era.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

ACK! Podiatrist

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Wikijen,

Ack! Not until you mentioned it, and then. . .yep, personal massagers!

Posted by: talleyl | March 18, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Someone earlier reported that the slopes were very icy, even a fall from just standing up and wacking one's head on ice could cause significant injury. Ice is why I hate eastern skiing. Helmets are a good idea.

I would bet she was transferred to be at a facility where they had more advanced neurosurgical services. The first hospital was probably a local hospital that couldn't handle that type of injury.

Posted by: hodie | March 18, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Sas,

Forgive my dwelling in the morbid for a moment, but when you get the phone call, some of the decisions to be made are whether to keep the body on life support and whether to donate organs. A brain-dead person with a beating heart is an excellent organ donor.

And yes, I've had to make that decision. I found releasing the body for organ donation to be a strangely comforting act, although the paperwork involved is burdensome.

If this is, indeed the case with the Neesoms and Richarsons, this will be their last moment to gather, consult and grieve in private. The neurologists I dealt with were amazingly patient and supportive.

The fact that the family has not released a statement yet indicates to me that either they are still waiting to see some recovery or that they are making donation decisions. Our whole process took 3 days.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a former Prime Minister of Israel comatose and on life support?

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 18, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Natasha Richardson might have just hit her head in exactly the wrong place. A friend of mine died when he fell roller-blading and hit his head ... such a seemingly innocuous thing, it was hard to believe. Yet other people bonk their heads and are fine. Scary! You just never know. Having witnessed a horrendous car accident occur directly in front of me on the freeway yesterday, I can't help thinking how important it is to cherish every moment.

Sorry for the non-snark, but it shakes me up to remember how things can change just. like. that.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 18, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 3:06 PM
============
He also wrote, "Never Smile at a Crocodile," "All or Nothing at All," and "Tenderly."

It was the last song that was featured in one of the Muppet Shows, performed by Animal. Still cracks me up.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 18, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

columnist liz smith is reporting that natasha richardson has been taken off life support. no mention of any organ donations. very, very sad to lose such a vibrant, intelligent and beautiful person. she did not receive any active treatment at lenox.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 18, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Mont Tremblant is notorious for icy conditions. The statement from Tremblant's rep seems weird, she fell and was ok, but they walked her to her hotel room and stayed with her for an hour? I have fallen plenty of times while skiing, including at Mt. Tremblant, and nobody walked me to my hotel room. Of course, I'm no movie star. There must have been something about the fall which had them concerned. So sad.

Posted by: newengland1 | March 18, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the tip, frieda, sad though it is.

Liz Smith is also reporting that "60 Minutes" creator Don Hewitt has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (seems to be an epidemic of it lately). DC connection: Marilyn Berger (now Hewitt) was a reporter for the defunct "Washington Star."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Californian, I had a friend in school (only child of a widowed mother) who took what seemed like a fairly minor fall one morning, but as a precaution they took him to the ER, where he lapsed into a coma within 12 hours and died the next day. He was a nice guy, and it was so tragic for his mom.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 18, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: newengland1 | March 18, 2009 4:15 PM
==========
She was receiving a private lesson. Her instructor called the Ski Patrol.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 18, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

She was receiving a private lesson. Her instructor called the Ski Patrol.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 18, 2009 4:52 PM

----------------------------------------------
There must have been something about the fall that made the ski instructor take precautions. Normally, a fall during a lesson is nothing. This fall must have been pretty bad. Tremblant is currently reporting loose granular over a hard pack base. So the beginner section could well have been an ice rink.

I've been known to eat the price of the lift ticket after 30 minutes if I find that the runs are ice rinks. I value my limbs too much to try to ski on that stuff.

From experience and observation, I note that some particularly nasty falls can occur on beginner sections because the slope is so gradual that the skis become nearly impossible to turn at low speed, and getting up after a fall without assistance is just about as (im)possible.

Lesson learned here: when you have the opportunity to wear a helmet, take it.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 18, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse