Posted at 10:50 AM ET, 03/24/2009

D.C. Now Hip Enough for Vampires

By Liz Kelly

Author Chris Farnsworth thinks Clive Owen would make a smashing vampire. (Photo Illustration by Liz Kelly/AP Photo)

No doubt about it: Since the changeover in administrations, Washington, D.C. has become a veritable magnet for celebs, for once actually earning it the moniker "Hollywood on the Potomac." So it isn't too surprising to find that in the wake of the star-studded inaugural events, first lady Michelle Obama's high-wattage White House visitors, TMZ's arrival in town and tomorrow's planned TV-magic 20-foot fireball over the Potomac that D.C. has reached the ultimate in hip factor: vampires.

In a deal announced yesterday, author Christopher Farnsworth has signed a three-book deal for his "Blood Oath" series of books about a vampire "sworn to protect the U.S. president against supernatural threats." Think of it as "Twilight" meets "In the Line of Fire." And, not surprisingly, the series has already attracted some attention from Hollywood, though a movie deal has yet to be announced.

I talked to Farnsworth via e-mail about his inspiration and what a vampire could do for the Obama administration:

Liz: What motivated you to put together politics and vampires?

Chris Farnsworth: This is based -- very loosely -- on an actual historical event. President Andrew Johnson, during his term in office, pardoned a man accused of vampirism. Since I've got sort of a twisted mind, I wondered what would have happened if the man was actually a vampire, and what could have motivated Johnson. From there, it snowballed. To me, it makes a weird kind of sense: this is the President of the United States of America, the leader of the free world. Of course he has his own vampire.

Liz: Any interest from Hollywood?

CF: Justin Manask, who specializes in placing books with producers to adapt them, has the novel and is making the rounds with it. We've had some strong interest from some big names, but nothing is finalized yet.

Liz: Who would be on your pie-in-the-sky wishlist to play the main characters?

CF: I'm really bad at these questions. In the time I've been a screenwriter, this always comes up in meetings: "Who do you see in this role?" And I usually go back to actors in classic films. I once answered "Steve McQueen" for a story I was pitching, and the producer responded, "I meant someone not dead."

That said, I always pictured the President's Vampire as Clive Owen back when he was in "Croupier," or Matthew MacFayden, who was in the BBC series "MI-5."

Of course, if Will Smith wants to play him, that's cool, too.

Liz: What's the target age for your books? Is this something Sasha and Malia can read or is it more Barack age-appropriate?

CF: More Barack age-appropriate. Definitely. This vampire is sworn to protect the United States and the President, no matter what. He's not a sensitive guy. He leaves a lot of bodies in his wake.

Liz: What kind of help could a vampire lend President Obama?

CF: A couple midnight visits, and the AIG executives would beg to give that bonus money back.

By Liz Kelly  | March 24, 2009; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  Books
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: David Letterman Marries; Octo-Mom Fires Nannies
Next: Lindsay Lohan Blames Fans for Lackluster Career; Britney Spears Racks Up $2.7 Million in Legal Fees

Comments

Everytime the Obama family farts, it makes the news.

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 24, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I would love to know how you got from Federal vampires to complaining about Obama coverage. No, wait, I wouldn't.

In any case, thanks for featuring this author. Honestly, the photomanip of Clive Owen would make it a winner anyway, but this series sounds like a lot of fun. Will definitely give it a look.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 24, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Great "plausible deniability". Who's gonna believe the opposing pundits when they claim the Prez is wasting other party members with the help of a vampire??
Clive is a very good choice!

Posted by: hodie | March 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like Buffy fanfic. Spike goes on to do good works. Not that I'd know... *ahem*

Posted by: WDC2 | March 24, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

why not cast dick cheney in the role... it was his job for 8 years afterall

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | March 24, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Vampires leave me cold, dead, and lifeless.

Posted by: pras40 | March 24, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I thought all the blood suckers in this town were K Street lobbyists.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 24, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I thought all the blood suckers in this town were K Street lobbyists.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 24, 2009 11:27 AM

Too true! And all of the regulatory agencies are filled with zombies.

Posted by: northgs | March 24, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I thought all the blood suckers in this town were K Street lobbyists.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 24, 2009 11:27 AM

Too true! And all of the regulatory agencies are filled with zombies.

Posted by: northgs | March 24, 2009 11:41 AM

~~~~~~~~~

I was told that if you walk through Capitol Hill at lunchtime on a weekday and close your eyes, you can hear the Flying Monkeys theme from the Wizard of Oz. (Your wallet will probably also be stolen.)

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 24, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I think K-Fed would make a great vampire. Seriously. He wouldn't have to act that much, really ... he could just take the Bela Lugosi approach, which set the bar for all vampire roles. Main thing is getting that wide-open stare look down.

Posted by: rashibama | March 24, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Simmer down jez...it's not that serious.

Clive Owen as a vampire? He could definitely take a bite out of me! :) And I guess the good acting helps too.

Posted by: linda1413 | March 24, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 24, 2009 11:50 AM

Tee hee. I've seen a lot of Blanche DuBois clones in the Beltway.

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 24, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I like vamp fiction as much as the next person - but it sounds like these books haven't even been written yet. Why bother writing the books, just write screen-plays if that's where they're going?

And I figure Spike and K-fed wouldn't work because the idea would have the vamp look like he could pass for Secret Service. I support Clive in anything he does and the man can wear a suit.

Posted by: sjcpeach | March 24, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjcpeach | March 24, 2009 3:31 PM

You're totally right. It would have to be Angel. After all, he's already playing the part of the overprotective Fed on Bones.

Posted by: WDC2 | March 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse