Posted at 8:11 AM ET, 03/19/2009

Family, Fans Mourn Natasha Richardson; Rihanna and Chris Brown Taking a Break?

By Liz Kelly

Director Pedro Almodovar and Penelope Cruz at the Wednesday premiere, of their new movie 'Los Abrazos Rotos' (Broken Embraces) in Madrid. (AP)
Thursday

Headlines: Family, friends, fans mourn death of Natasha Richardson; paramedic says first ambulance was turned away from ski resort; Post obit... Jessica Lange injured in fall at Minnesota cabin... Ex Adnan Ghalib ordered to stay away from Britney Spears for three years... Angelina Jolie movie ad ordered off U.K. TV because of gun play... Audrina Patridge leaves 'The Hills' to star in her own reality show... NBC chief calls Jon Stewart's criticism "unfair"... Stacy Keach recovering following mild stroke... Sean Stewart calls dad Rod Stewart "cheap" on TV court show.

Pix & Vid: Angelina Jolie arrested (on "Salt" set).

Crime Watch: Kanye West charged in Sept. 2008 airport scuffle with paparazzo... "Project Runway" finalist Kenley Collins arrested for throwing cat at fiance.

Rumor Mill: Rihanna and Chris Brown "taking a break?"... Britney Spears turns down $3 million book deal... John Mayer calls rumor that he's penning a tell-all Jennifer Aniston book "disgusting"... Eddie Cibrian denies affair with LeAnn Rimes... Russell Brand and Anthony Hopkins set for "Arthur" remake?

Say What?
"Let me work just a little bit first. Let me get a couple things out there... one song, one movie, something." -- Jennifer Lopez on why she's not ready for more kids yet.

"You have to do a lot of tweaking and airbrushing to get the same from a celebrity that you would get from a model." -- "Make Me a Supermodel" host Tyson Beckford explains why actors and musicians should stop doing fashion mag covers.

Chat Day: Don't get pulled into "work" meetings this afternoon. You're already booked at 2 p.m. ET for this week's installment of Celebritology Live, then at 3 p.m. ET for The "Lost" Hour.

By Liz Kelly  | March 19, 2009; 8:11 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Natasha Richardson Dead at 45
Next: 'Lost' Dueling Analysis: 'Namaste'

Comments

Britney Spears turns down $3 million book deal.

Says Spears, "I ain't readin' no book no matter how much you pay me!"

Posted by: MStreet1 | March 19, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Actors and musicians will stop doing fashion magazine covers when the fashion magazines stop asking actors and musicians to pose for their covers. I'll bet Jack Black never did a fashion magazine cover.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 19, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

1st: RIP Natasha Richardson. What an absurd tragedy.

2nd: Jeff Zucker is an idiot.

3rd: If Kenley Collins's marriage goes through after the cat- and laptop-throwing incident, her name will be Kenley Penley. Whoa.

4th: Tyson Beckford is also an idiot.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | March 19, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Audrina's new series "will follow Patridge's personal and professional life." Since originality is clearly not a watchword here, why not get her a psychedelically-painted bus and call it "The Patridge Family" while you're at it?

Gee, Jeff Zucker, I'm pretty sure a better definition of "unfair" is manipulating the markets for your own personal gain, something your boy Cramer is on tape as saying he's done. No, wait, that's "illegal."

I see a tv series here: "Kenley Collins & Naomi Campbell in 'Deadly Model Attack Squad.'"

Rihanna and Chris Brown "taking a break?" Maybe Ri should call up her girl Kenley and open a cat of whup-ass on Brown.

"Russell Brand and Anthony Hopkins set for "Arthur" remake" - I'll alert the media.

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 19, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Rod Stewart wishes now he'd paid the money for a condom.

So sorry about Natasha Richardson. Thinking helmets are a good idea when skiing.

Posted by: mat00 | March 19, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"cat of whup-ass". Well played, sir. Well played.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | March 19, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The pic of JLo in the linked article is a face shot, and therefore does not provide me enough info about her "coffee shelf" to see if I think she should make another movie or not.

Thanks for the pic of Penelope Cruz. This message sponsored by td in baltimore.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 19, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

John Mayer has probably never gotten as much ink in his career as he has in the past year or so that he was involved with Jennifer Aniston.

RE: Gun violence/Angelina/British tv...I'm glad someone is holding the actors accountable for the work they do. We've had this discussion on the chat before but, as much as I admire Angelina's work for peace & helping children, et. al., many movies she makes either glamorizes or at least desensitizes audiences to gun violence. Whether there's a direct causal link doesn't really matter, it's the perception that becomes reality. I'm not saying she's responsible for all the gun violence in the world, but I will say I think she's inconsistent in the message she brings through her work.

Get well soon, Stacy Keach!

Posted by: pras40 | March 19, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Who throws a cat? Honestly.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | March 19, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

It is so sad about Natasha. My heart goes out to her family.

Posted by: supersonic1 | March 19, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"...will follow her personal and *professional* life?"

Pardon me for asking, but isn't Audrina Patride's "profession"..."Being on a reality show?" Is her new reality show going to be about making her new reality show?

If so, I think we've finally hit the bottom: a reality show about a reality show.

Seriously, this chick doesn't "do" anything, are they going to manufacture "jobs" for her to do to see how she handles challenges (like speaking in a complete sentence?)

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 19, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

I hope Rihanna can leave Chris Brown for good, but I know how hard it is.

It took me four years to leave my abusive husband.

I wrote about this a lot for "On Balance."

My story is on YouTube under Leslie Morgan Steiner. Thanks!

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsElsHrvC0

I chose to use my real name because I don't want anyone to think you should be ashamed of being a victim of abusive love.

It helps me a lot to share my story. If you want to share yours (anonymously or with your actual name) visit The Crazy Love Project. It's on my website at www.lesliemorgansteiner.com

Posted by: leslie4 | March 19, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Sean Stewart - When you grow up and stop being such a sponge, then you can complain about Rod. In the meantime, you are 28 years old. Pay your own bills.

Posted by: JLRGG | March 19, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Penelope, hello there. I...er... wow.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 19, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

DCCube - I just totally guffawed uncontrollably on public transit... Thanks!

Posted by: Trumance1 | March 19, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

and now for something completely different, a woman who's cat flies across the room and lands on her boyfriend's face.
'by herself'
'no - i fling her'
'well that's extremely interesting - Ladies and gentlemen i give you Miss Kenley Collins and tiddles'

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | March 19, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Who throws a cat? Honestly.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | March 19, 2009 9:42 AM

****

Mr. Don Savage, for one, at about the 5-minute mark of "Interesting People": http://tinyurl.com/d6uq87

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 19, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Wouldn't it have been great if they captured that police run for the Henley-Penley fight for COPS? Wish I could have seen the cop's reactions when that shell of a man whimpered "she threw her cat at me!" Rrrrr!

Lopez has one year old twins, geez! Who expects her to have kids again, already?? Now weren't she and Marc A on the divorce watch list recently???

Posted by: hodie | March 19, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

From today's NYT, very interesting article about teen girls reaction to Chris Brown/Rihanna.

You gotta wonder where are these girls' mothers that should be explaining to them that there is no reason in the world for a man to hit a woman...even if she throws a cat at you.

Posted by: milesdy | March 19, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Obviously the guy is not a cat person cause who wouldn't love to get awoken by a cat to the face?

And seriously, who calls 911 because of a cat and some apples to the face?

Another query: Do we know if the cat was declawed because, if so, the cat can no longer be considered a weapon of meow-destruction.

Posted by: IrishFox | March 19, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Ken-e-ley Pen-e-ley
Kenley the Dressmaker
attacked her fiance
by throwing a cat.

Should Zak call the cops or a
veteranarian?
How does one respond to a
toughie like that?

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 19, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Krap. Let's try again:

Ken-e-ley Pen-e-ley
Kenley the Dressmaker
blitzed her fiance
with one well-thrown cat.

Should Zak call the cops or a
veteranarian?
How does one respond to a
toughie like that?

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 19, 2009 10:53 AM

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 19, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Sean, your father is Scottish. That's not cheap, that's thrifty! Just be glad he didn't give you a set of garden tools and tell you to tidy up the back yard if it's a little exercise you want.

Posted by: 44west | March 19, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

IF the reports about Kenley Collins are true, it seems to undermine an implicit assumption that a lot of you make: that abuse is defined as a male partner attacking a female partner. When a female slams a door on a male partner's head, is that not abuse? Or is it foreplay?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 19, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Depends on who's naked, mr. sasquatch.

Posted by: IrishFox | March 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Sean Stewart, the fact that your father is making you reimburse him for covering for your deadbeat behavior is not being cheap. It's better characterized as refusing to enable an alcoholic. Time for you to return to the bottom step and start again.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 19, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Jeff Zucker, I think that ingesting several boxes of Ex-Lax can solve your problem.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 19, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Depends on who's naked, mr. sasquatch.

Posted by: IrishFox | March 19, 2009 11:38 AM
-------------------------------------------
Little Sasquatch's head getting smashed in a door is NOT foreplay.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 19, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"Lopez has one year old twins, geez!"

Actually, I think she has two:-D

Posted by: bobsewell | March 19, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I am so sad about Natasha Richardson. A shoe designer emailed me today saying she was the only celeb of all that he designed for who would call and thank him whenever she received her new pair of shoes. I am just so sorry for all of her family.

Posted by: FantasticToe | March 19, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Okay, anyone who throws any animal for any reason needs to be locked up for felony animal cruelty. Is any law enforcement doing anything about prosecuting the scum who threw the cat?! Or at the very least taking the cat away from her and ensuring she cannot adopt another animal ... ever!!!

And here I thought I was too shocked and sad about Natasha Richardson to snark.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 19, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'll second you on all fronts there, Californian.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 19, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Thirded, californian. Animals are not intended to be used as projectiles. (They can make themselves into projectiles, as anyone who's been hit in the knees at a dog park will tell you...but that's another thing entirely.)
Perhaps Kenley Whatserface should be sentenced to doing laundry at the SPCA for a few years. I'm sure she can find new design ideas in hairball stains.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 19, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Shouldn't there be a lower size limit on that prohibition? I mean, if you throw a cricket or an ant, you're not liable to do them much harm. And what if you need to quickly move an animal out of harm's way? Still risking a felony prosecution if you fling it?

Posted by: bobsewell | March 19, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

bobsewell, That's just so stupid it doesn't merit a reply.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 19, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

My cat does throw himself at my ankles regularly, Bawlmer51, as an inducement to play chase. I consider that consensual behavior. ;-)

I just read this on Google News about Natasha Richardson and it pretty much sums up how I feel about the situation: that ya just never know sometimes:

"About noon on Monday, Natasha Richardson did something that just about every novice skier has done. She took a spill on a beginner’s slope — a “bunny hill”— laughed, dusted herself off and insisted that she felt fine.

An hour later, she was in an ambulance. Two days later she was dead, from a brain injury whose exact nature has not been disclosed."

Posted by: Californian11 | March 19, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

My first thought on hearing that whatsherfanny got arrested for throwing a cat at her boyfriend was, "For what? Animal cruelty?" Didn't even occur to me that the police would charge her with domestic assault rather than animal cruelty. (Then I heard the rest of the story. Domestic abuse does go both ways, folks - in fact it goes all ways.) The boyfriend needs to move out of psycho's place and take the cat with him, 'cause she'll hit him again if he gives her the chance. And SPCA and other organizations def. need to add her to the No Adoption list.

Posted by: northgs | March 19, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

AP is reporting that the NYC medical examiner determined the cause of Natasha Richardson's death to be epidural hematoma, bleeding between the skull and the membrane covering the brain, caused by blunt force trauma.

Posted by: northgs | March 19, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Halftime: Guess most everyone's watching the Maryland-Cal game too.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 19, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Wait, Maryland's playing?!!? To the sportsticker, Robin!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 19, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

And good quote, Californian; I think that's part of why this terrible news is getting such coverage- it's one of those random occurrences that reminds us how little control we can actually have over what happens to us. It's scary.
The majority of the coverage, though, seems to be because Natasha Richardson was very skilled and admired by her professional peers, and because she was (according to everyone who met her) a genuinely good human being. I wish I could have known her.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | March 19, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Brain injuries are freaky and sad. Lost my sister to a tbi from a car accident, and remember well how lucid she was in the hospital emergency room in the hours right after the accident.

And having had a couple of falls/concussion/temporary amnesia episodes, yes, it can happen to anyone in seemingly innocuous accidents.

Posted by: trichobezoar | March 19, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and what's that thing on Pedro Almodovar's head? (Over there - to the left of Penelope. Yes, there's someone else in her picture.) Did someone smack him with a Persian?

Posted by: trichobezoar | March 19, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm just sick about Natasha Richardson. Such an incredibly lovely person.

Hubby and I keep shuddering to think. He hit his head rollerblading one afternoon and I was in a dither all evening, didn't want to let him go to sleep that night. I hit my head on a marble countertop hard enough to nearly knock myself out and got a black eye the next day (which was weird, as I hit the top of my head) and keep thinking that was definitely hard enough to do some damage. It's a scary thought.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | March 19, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse