Posted at 10:57 AM ET, 03/ 3/2009

For Cosmo's 'Fun, Fearless Males,' Career Stagnation Awaits

By Liz Kelly

(L-R)Aaron Eckhart, Ali Larter, Mario Lopez, Timbaland, Blair Underwood, Maria Menounos, Chace Crawford, Bradley Cooper, Rainn Wilson and Adam Levine arrive at last night's Cosmopolitan Fun Fearless Males of 2009 event in Beverly Hills. (Getty Images)

Last night, the diabolical minds over at Cosmopolitan magazine handed out this year's "Fun Fearless Male" awards. When you successfully stifle down the bile you'll be heartened to hear that Cosmo -- the mag that brings us indispensible relationship advice (Sex position of the week: "Sensual Spoon.") -- recognizes a handful of celebrated men each year who they deem to be, umm, fun and fearless.

This year's honorees include actors Aaron Eckhart, Mario Lopez, Blair Underwood, Chace Crawford, Bradley Cooper, Rainn Wilson, producer Timbaland and Maroon 5's Adam Levine.

But this year's winners may want to consider the cautionary tales of the honorees of yesteryear -- whose fun, fearless personalities led to career stagnation and other undesirable outcomes:

You may remember Chris Brown as the guy who allegedly beat up girlfriend Rihanna after a pre-Grammy party last month. But a year ago Brown was honored for his ability to turn out chart-friendly albums and box office friendly movies. Said the honoree: "I'm looking for a girl who can deal with how energetic I am. Also, it might be nice if she could dance with me."

The bottom was already falling out for Dane Cook when Cosmo included the comedian/actor in the 2007 honors. A rumored romance with Jessica Simpson had ended and a pair of box office duds -- "Employee of the Month" and "Good Luck Chuck" -- scuttled his attempt at becoming a solid rom-com leading man. In April 2008, Cook picked up another superlative: Unfunniest Comic. Ouch. (And don't forget Cook's inclusion in the official Celebritology glossary.)

2006 co-honorees included one-time Jessica Simpson spouse Nick Lachey (who was last seen at Houston radio station KRBE's Jingle Jam 2008.), but Terrence Howard really deserves notice for what he claimed was his most fearless act ever: "Stepping out of the womb and saying, 'I can handle this' was pretty fearless. Out of half a billion sperm, I got to that egg, hijacked my mother's body and greeted the world."

Although Howard was widely acclaimed for his performance in 2005's "Hustle and Flow," his momentum has stagnated of late -- especially after he fearlessly negotiated himself out of the upcoming "Iron Man" sequel. Earlier this month, documents surfaced detailing Howard's 2001 arrested for allegedly assaulting his estranged wife.

In 2004 "Friends" star Matthew Perry was described as "the epitome of a hot Cosmo male." It made sense when he was riding the crest of "Friends" last season mania. But five years and one failed NBC show later, Perry appears to be mired in career purgatory.

Look out Rainn Wilson -- mediocrity is coming for you.

By Liz Kelly  | March 3, 2009; 10:57 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sean Penn Wants 'Milk' Day; Rihanna and Chris Brown Reportedly Return to L.A.
Next: Britney Spears Tour Kicks Off; Jennifer Aniston's $50K Haircare Regimen

Comments

Has Cosmo taken to throwing darts at a board to pick its "fun and fearless males?" I had to do a search to find out who the heck Chase Crawford is and I'm still confused as to why the others are in there.

Terrance, wow dude, wow. Sentiment like that should warm your mom's heart.

Posted by: petalceleb | March 3, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Mario Lopez's career is already stunted and dead. Those with hot careers do not host Extra or do DWTS. But have to admit, I did choke when he appeared shirtless on a segment of Extra.

Posted by: hodie | March 3, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Rainn Wilson, run! Blair Underwood and Adam Levine, what are you doing here? Follow Rainn!

What's a Chase Crawford? From the pic above, he looks like Ashton Kutcher's little brother.

What's a Bradley Cooper?

Posted by: northgs | March 3, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what's more stupid, the idea of this list or the fact that these guys showed up for a group photo to celebrate their inclusion.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 3, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

They doubtless only nominate people who would actually show up. So, obvy, no A-listers.

Posted by: otherliz | March 3, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

kind of like those dinners where the honoree is only the honoree because he/she can arm-twist a few hundred friends/acquaintances/future enemies into donating money to a charity.

Posted by: memphis1 | March 3, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Maria Menounos is one of Cosmo's Fearless males of 2009!? No wonder!!! He looks sooo fine in drag!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 3, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Hodie took the words out of my mouth about Mario Lopez. DWTS can be a career killer right there, just look at Misty May and Helio "Tax Evasion" Castroneves. Though Mario did also look damn fine on Nip/Tuck.

Rainn Wilson will be ok as long as The Office holds out. Timbaland will be fine once he finds a new young "artist" to prey on...I mean groom for stardom.

My condolences to the rest.

Posted by: eet7e | March 3, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought Chace Crawford was one of the gay characters in "Doonesbury." Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 3, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

As long as there are movies featuring creepy predatory men, there will be work for Aaron Eckhart.

Posted by: trichobezoar | March 3, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I am soooo gay for Bradley Cooper:

Posted by: yellojkt | March 3, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Hello, Where Kirk Cameron ? I know he wouldn't tell us that was there at the Awards.

But you know what...Did you know that Kirk Cameron got nominated for Fireproof from 17th Christian Film Festival?

Check it out yourself.

I think it is great for Kirk.

He is approaching 40.

Silver Spring Maryland

Posted by: marcy20046 | March 3, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I love the fact that Terrance Howard is bragging because 1. he thinks he's special because he was born (last time I checked, something ALL of us reading this did) and 2. he doesn't seem to know basic reproductive genetics.

Posted by: candle96 | March 3, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Chris Brown said, "I'm looking for a girl who can deal with how energetic I am." A female crash test dummy?

-The Poster Formerly Known As Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | March 3, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

They had better be fearless if their careers are about to tank. I personally hope to see much more of Bradley Cooper, Blair Underwood and Aaron Eckhart, so let the Cosmo curse be selective, please.

That Kirk Cameron mention was way random.

Posted by: msame | March 4, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse