Posted at 11:32 AM ET, 03/13/2009

Hollywood Intervention: Nipping the Next Lilo in the Bud

By Liz Kelly

Actress Bella Thorne, age 12, at Wednesday's 'Race to Witch Mountain' premiere in Hollywood. (AP)

Dear Whoever This Child's Mom May Be:

Look out! Your daughter, one Bella Thorne, is in mortal danger of becoming the next Lindsay Lohan. While I understand visions of reality shows and Mother of the Year Awards are dancing through your head, that's not actually a good thing.

Take a look back at Bella's short -- yet crowded career trajectory: Modeling at 20 weeks, Christian Slater's canceled show and an upcoming role opposite Crispin Glover and Judd Nelson in a second-rate horror flick? And when does she have time for school? This is not good.

Act now or your still somewhat innocent spawn (although she's clearly got her red carpet schtick down cold) could end up hawking leggings and self-tanning lotion before a decade is out. Is that really what you want?

I'm not suggesting you take Bella off the screen or out of the limelight; just asking that you re-think your strategy. A few minor image adjustments, some rational management and a little time to grow a sense of herself outside the industry and she could move into Dakota Fanning territory: cute, precocious and in striking distance of crossing over into an adult career. And instead of working with Judd Nelson, Dakota's starring in the next "Twilight" movie.

I know it's probably difficult to see past all of the casting agents suddenly telling you that young Bella is on the brink of blowing up big, especially since things don't seem to have worked out for your previous projects.

But trust me -- Bella's missed the Disney boat and it won't turn around to get her once they get wind of the Glover project. So go with plan B -- a few modest roles in indies and this nightmarish outfit (enclosed) will be a footnote rather than a harbinger of hellacious years to come.

You're welcome,

- Liz

By Liz Kelly  | March 13, 2009; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miscellaneous
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Anna Nicole Smith Ex Charged; Aniston and Mayer Reportedly Split Again
Next: Despite Arrest Warrant, Lindsay Lohan Parties with Nicholson, Bickers with Ronson

Comments

What have we here?

Frank Sinatra. Cool.
Tons of jail bait. Yuck.
Cheezy bottom half of
recital costume. Ick.
Tons of jail bait. Yuck.
Can't make out the thingy on her pink bag. Ick.
Tons of jail bait. Yuck.
The leggin's are weird. Yikes!

Really disturbing and creepy.

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 13, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Jez, that looks like a Juicy Coture bag. As much as it adds to the cheap-and-tacky, at least it's not plastered across her backside.

The jailbait/come-hither factor is seriously yucko; surely Disney has some adult in the vicinity who can tutor her in more age-appropriate behavior.

Posted by: northgs | March 13, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

She looks like she could grow up to be Rachel Zoe. If she's lucky.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 13, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

you know my thought was, I appreciated that her outfit looks like she has the freedom to be a kid and pick her own clothes out, I'd hate to think she has a stylist at 12 or a momzilla monitoring her ensembles... At 12 I probably would have thought I was incredibly 'cool' and 'fashionable' wearing something like that.

Posted by: LTL1 | March 13, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Also, looks like the Family Values Nazis were right. Disney sells sex to kids.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 13, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Jez, you see Frank Sinatra. I see Diane Keaton.

In the whole scheme of things, which is more disturbing?

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 13, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope to god she doesn't go the way of Lilo, but I must confess that I always liked the ad she did where she said "it's not magic, it's the mirrors!" for HP (though, that was probably a voice over). And before I seem like a freak, I only found out that was her from her imdb page that Liz linked to!

Posted by: bryang0906 | March 13, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

OK.

I went back and re-read all the links. She's not the next Lindsay Lohan. There are far too many siblings. I think the Thornes are higher on the showbiz family index.

Brother Remy's resume is just as long as sister Bella's.

Dani worked with Miley Cyrus, Hillary Duff and the Jonas Bros.

Kaili worked with Miley Cyrus and on "The O.C."

No, I think the Thornes are poised to be the next Baldwins.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 13, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The ubiquitous hand-on-hip-with-elbow-turned-out pose is a dead giveaway ... this kid wants to be Paris Hilton. God help us!!

Remy, Dani, and Kaili? Sounds like Bella's the most normal of this Spears/Lohan/Kardashian-sounding family.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 13, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I agree with LTL. Had Lilo worn this outfit(and she probably has very recently), we would say it is more appropriate for a 12yo. Now a 12yo wears it and we say she is a train wreck waiting to happen. I would say this might be a problem at 16 or 17, but at 12, bad taste is expected.

Sincerely,
Hodie-who recently let her 13yo son leave the house in baggy red baskeball shorts, a bright orange hoodie, blue/black hightops and unwashed/combed hair. Let them learn on their own. They won't listen to us anyway about fashion.

Posted by: hodie | March 13, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Jez, you see Frank Sinatra. I see Diane Keaton.

In the whole scheme of things, which is more disturbing?

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 13, 2009 12:20 PM

LOL!

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 13, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, you made me laugh out loud. As an educator who regularly goes to middle schools and high schools, I have to tell you they mostly do learn what goes together by high school.

Posted by: earlysun | March 13, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

hodie, it sounds like your 13-year-old still just wants to be a kid, rather than growing up too soon. Count your blessings.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 13, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LTL1 | March 13, 2009 12:14 PM

They won't listen to us anyway about fashion.

Posted by: hodie | March 13, 2009 12:37 PM

LTL, me too, but my mother would have had some wise words for me re: clashing colors and patterns. Hodie, no, I wouldn't have listened to my mother either, but that's what peer ridicule is for. Something tells me this young lady doesn't have a lot of that in her life.

Posted by: northgs | March 13, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

earlysun, I think for the boys, they learn what goes together (and how to wash their hair) about the time they discover girls. Should be anyday for mine but I won't rush that.

Nosy, I count my blessings everyday, that I have two healthy, very intelligent, and mostly well-behaved boys.

Posted by: hodie | March 13, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

sorry, sounds like I'm on the wrong blog. (but I'm not a mean mommie!)

Posted by: hodie | March 13, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

hodie
mostly well-behaved

Yep, too well-behaved is probably as scary as not well-behaved enough.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 13, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Oh this is all so funny, our battle is to make sure our boy washes his feet, at 11, the stank on them is horrifying. And he has a little girlfriend - I can't believe it...

Ok back to celebrity snarking...

Oh yeah and her 'come hither' pose is so kid like, my sister's 3 year old stands like that - Evil Disney...

Posted by: LTL1 | March 13, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I'd guess Bella dressed herself (hodie jr. would probably approve of her taste!). But at least Bella didn't wear anything too revealing, and her short skirt was partially compensated for by the leggings.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 13, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

LTL = LOL! Thanks for that one.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 13, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I like to think that I had better style when I was 12 thanks to the fact that my sister is 11 years older and liked to pick out my clothes when we went shopping. But then, I look back at the school pictures I rediscovered over the weekend and can't believe I wore those things...

That Thorne girl really has already mastered the waif look and pose. And what's with that dye job?!

Posted by: eet7e | March 13, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow. I had no idea that come-hither pose was popular. I saw my cousin's teenage twins posing like that for a photo and about lost my lunch ... ICK!

Posted by: Californian11 | March 13, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I thought this kind of gossip was saved for high school. As a teacher, I learn something new everyday. I wasn't aware that ADULTS sit around and ridicule children. I am one of Bella's teachers and I will say that you have it all wrong. As for school, the child is two grades ahead of herself. Her reading is of a high school student and she is in elementary. She is in advanced study. As for the failure of a show, I don't think that has anything to do with the child's performance as it is an ensemble cast. Do you have any idea how many shows are cancelled every year or how many shows don't get a series order. She is a child and she picks her own clothing, I'm glad that her style still reflects her youth. She is a bright, talented child with her own fashion sense and she is always a joy in class. I am shocked by your report and lack of knowledge. I don't see any mention of all the charitable work she is involved with on a daily basis. I guess it's easier to sell trash as opposed to truth.

Posted by: teachme1 | March 13, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

teachme1--

Perhaps as a "teacher" you could work on your grammar skills before passing them on to your hapless students. "Her reading is of a high school student and she is in elementary." Really? You couldn't come up with better structure than that?

And I don't think anyone is foolish enough, least of all this young woman, to think her age will spare her from any gossip. It might not be fair or right, but its a price to pay for fame in our celeb-obsessed culture.

Posted by: jelo | March 13, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

teach does have a point, I thought we agreed not to snark about kids, so lets move on.....

So teach, how is it you have time to visit Celebritology in the middle of a school day????

Posted by: hodie | March 13, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of the sentence in question, I did not think that mature adults sit around and criticize children.

I find it unfair to publish information that is misleading or untrue.

I think all facts should be included in an article.

I am sure that the child isn't even aware of the gossip.

The most childish thing about the article is all the catty adults.

Posted by: teachme1 | March 13, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, is it too late in the afternoon to get a good BKD going??

I kinda like the t-shirt.

Posted by: 44west | March 13, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

(Okay, I know feeding trolls is dangerous. I'm chalking it up to the copier fumes filling my office.)

Teach, you also need to learn the difference between an article and a blog post (hint: one's opinion).

And speaking to an earlier point of mine, since you claim to be her teacher, perhaps you can try to teach her that a come-hither pose like that is inappropriate public behavior for a 12-year-old? If she wants to be a public figure, that's a personal-safety issue. Her academic skills are irrelevant to this point.

Posted by: northgs | March 13, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

To hodie: Today is a 1/2 day and the article was brought to my attention. Bella is a LOVELY child and a diligent student. Obviously, I was moved to comment.

Posted by: teachme1 | March 13, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

glad you're looking out for her teach and note Liz's article was addressed to the parents, not the child.

I think the article pokes more fun at Lilo, insinuating she dresses like a child. Good reminder though to watch comments where actual children are the subject.

northgs also has a point. Hope you are also helping to guide these children (if you really are her teacher) and intervene when behavior is not appropriate. Too often tragedy occurs when children try too soon to act like adults and are not prepared when they get treated like one. (granted we lizards will freely admit we often act like children).

Anyway, if you agree to lighten up, we (at least I) agree to quit picking on children (but not including stupid baby names-my own pet peeve).

Someone show teach to the tiki bar....

Posted by: hodie | March 13, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Teach - I don't know this child at all, and I wouldn't criticise a kid (as you can see from my posts) however, the one questionable thing to me is that their parents seem to have made this a family business. Which in and of itself makes me question that they are looking out for the best interests of their children. All of their children have the exact same interest in acting? Anyone who knows kids would find that pretty laughable, which to me suggests that the parents are pushing the acting agenda...

As you could guess most of us save our distain for those showbiz parents who clearly care more about their self interests (money or fame) than their child's welfare... One would worry that this child is on the same track...

Posted by: LTL1 | March 13, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

This particular child and her siblings are already engaged in a major career. Fashion sense (or lack, thereof) aside, that is a topic for discussion right there.

Since her career involves entertaining other youth, her influence on them, fashion-wise and lifestyle-wise, is also a topic for discussion.

I think it is reasonable to ask whether children should be engaged in full-time acting careers.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 13, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Liz, Bella Thorne's film career was never focused on the Hannah Montana age group. Her mother is a photographer and her siblings felt comfortable in front a lens very early. As a model Bella has the "it" factor at an early age - the camera likes her. Its up to her agents and mother to follow the best path.

Watch her interview on YouTube:

Posted by: PCHwy | March 13, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

For the Disney comment: One look at the new it girls in the same age group on the carpet and Bella is conservative!

Family comment: If you know any of them you know that they all aren't as invested in the acting career. The one sister is a youtube fan and photographer like the mom and does acting for fun. The brother was the first actor. The oldest sister never did modeling and started on her own in LA. The mother dislikes the acting business. I've known them since they were very young in FL. The only reason they stayed in LA was because their dad was killed in an accident and it was too painful to go back home.

For the picture: The child is from the fashion world as is most of the family. I find it funny that this picture was used when she had so many smiling and fun. So what the outfit was kooky, she's a kid. At least it wasn't revealing.

As for the career: This is not a full time gig for any of them. Bella is a dancer and excellent student. She also does tons of charity work involving kids and animals. The older sisters only act part time and have both graduated early and starting college. Kaili is a writer and developing a screen play that she wrote at the age of 14. Remy is a budding writer as well. Dani interns with name photographers and is concentrating on a fashion career.

There is much hatred on this blog towards this family, particularly Bella which is astonishing. The achievement and warmth they've shown is not reflected in anyway. It is REALLY shameful.

Posted by: FYI143 | March 14, 2009 2:21 AM | Report abuse

We all love Disney.

It should have an teaching sense in these films. We should go to the rights not the wrongs.

Thanks

Posted by: marcy20046 | March 14, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Well, it seems that Liz did not know whereof she spoke on this one. Bella seems to be just a nice girl making an unfortunate pose that she probably has seen tons of women make on red carpets. There's no scandal here, folks. Move on.

Posted by: msame | March 14, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse