Posted at 10:33 AM ET, 03/25/2009

If U Seek Britney Mania, Look No Further Than Verizon Center

By Liz Kelly

While the brave Josh DuLac covered the main event of last night's stop of the Britney Spears "Circus" tour at Verizon Center (Question: How long can the human ear survive in the face of piercing shrieks?), I was all over the outside, armed only with hard-hitting questions and an intrepid videographer. Fans were fired up, scalpers circled and expectations were high for a visit from pop's resurgent princess.

And, because one should never squander the chance to learn something (even from girls with fake tans and boys with fake boobs), here are a few things I picked up last night:

1. Britney is big in Baltimore. Out of the scores of people I talked with outside the Verizon Center, one in three copped to being from Charm City. Though I also talked to one fan who trekked here all the way from Australia just to see Brit on stage.

2. "Anyone have any tickets?" is the clever scalper's way of communicating "I have tickets to sell." Apparently I am naive and the last person to get a clue, but this actually makes me feel better about the horde of middle-aged men working the crowd outside Verizon Center. Well, most of them.

3. If you ask her fans (and I did), Britney Spears is not a role model. Depending on who I talked to, Brit was variously described as "awesome," "hot," "so cool," "rockin'" and "a great lip-syncher," but not someone fans consider mentor material.

4. The Spears faithful feel no pain. Despite temps falling into the low 40s as the sun went down over the corner of F and 6th Streets, gangs of girls -- some disturbingly underage -- did a great job of looking nonchalant while slowly turning blue in their mini-skirts and halter tops. (Note to fans: Today's temps are expected to top out at 52. Break out the bikinis!)

5. Parents of tweeners are, like, so out of touch. In a survey of four different sets of parents escorting their pre-teen girls to the show, none knew about the R-rated message suggested by the title of Spears's latest single, "If U Seek Amy." I'm sure this costume change was an eye opener, though.

By Liz Kelly  | March 25, 2009; 10:33 AM ET
Categories:  Britney Spears
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan Blames Fans for Lackluster Career; Britney Spears Racks Up $2.7 Million in Legal Fees
Next: Natasha Richardson's Organs Donated; Dolly Parton Denies She's Gay

Comments

Who is this "Britney Spears" person you keep taking'bout?

Posted by: ileschinder | March 25, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

My IQ just dropped 10 points.

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 25, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

So THAT'S what was going on at the Gallery Place Metro station last night. I could have sworn it was a young hooker convention. I saw a girl in metallic silver tights. I saw another girl in an acid yellow...sweatshirt (?) that barely covered her keister...and nothing else until you got to her shoes. Lots of black nail polish, half chewed off. Lots of spiked heels and very overteased "hair."

Had I known, I would have worn my pink wig in solidarity.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 25, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I think the whole point of teen, and now 'tween, music is that it is so loud and obnoxious the parents can't stand to listen to it long enough to catch the words.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 25, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Where were Joe Francis and his camera crew last night? What a wasted opportunity! Show us your ta-tas, wild girls! Betcha that the cross dresser would have flashed if asked.

Liz, you should have asked the a capella group to sing "Oops! I Farted Again!"

I didn't realize that Britney has a committed gay male following.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"If you ask her fans (and I did), Britney Spears is not a role model. Depending on who I talked to, Brit was variously described as "awesome," "hot," "so cool," "rockin'" and "a great lip-syncher," but not someone fans consider mentor material."

OMG, who could possibly be mentor material to Brit's fans?

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 25, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I fear for the future of the world....

Posted by: memphis1 | March 25, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Wow. The little girl wearing the oversized hoop earrings reminded me of Jodie Foster in "Taxi Driver." And that's not good.

Posted by: pras40 | March 25, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

pras, that girl freaked me out, too! At first I thought it was just a...little person (pc?). But no. It's a child.

Posted by: aesully | March 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

See? This is proof that humanity is devolving. Someone has to tell Al Gore not to worry, after all... before the polar caps melt and planets come crashing... well, BEFORE all that happens... the world will be managed by people like the attendants to last night's show.
When does the next rocket for Saturn take off? Yeah, i want a ticket it for that. Thanks, coach is fine. Bye everyone.

Posted by: ileschinder | March 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

My personal favorite was the guy who said he was hoping to cry.

That's dedication.

Posted by: Liz_Likes_Celebs_Not_Baseball | March 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Liz_Likes_Celebs_Not_Baseball | March 25, 2009 11:33 AM
------------

Hahahaha! That's a funny screen name! Though I know she claims to not know much about the game, Liz did say she had a good time at a Nats game last year.

Posted by: pras40 | March 25, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If history repeats it course, perhaps someday (sooner rather than later) BritBrit will wind up like those erstwhile Spice Girls appearing on versions of "Dancing With The Stars" in the US and England. Or, like another Spice, she could marry a wealthy fading athlete.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 25, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Yike-ers! What Pras and Aesully said about the girl with the hoop earrings.

Also, all of the girls who know the lyrics to "Oops I Did It Again" - how old were they when that song was a hit (2000)? Eight maybe? Granted, I probably knew a few too many suggestive song lyrics when I was 8, but at least the videos for those songs didn't sexualize underage girls.

Posted by: northgs | March 25, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Rather than make a request for "brain bleach", I'm just going to run down to the corner for a fifth of Wild Turkey to wash that clip from my head.

Posted by: jelo | March 25, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

tip: Scalpers also ask that so they can buy your unwanted tickets and sell them for more to another person.

Posted by: ah___ | March 25, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

One step closer to Idiocracy...**sigh**

Posted by: wadejg | March 25, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

One step closer to Idiocracy...**sigh**

Posted by: wadejg | March 25, 2009 12:48 PM

Good. Less competition for the kids in my family.

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 25, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

All of you criticizing Britney's fans and her music. I am in my 40's and let me introduce you to some of "our" music.
Metallica
Aerosmith
Run DMC
Vanilla Ice
Milli Vanilli ETC, ETC, ETC
Every generation says the music kids listen to today is crap. Every generation says the way kids dress is bad. Every generation says the world as we know it will end soon.
For everyone of you saying those things, I have only one thing to say to you. You are getting old and have become exactly like your parents.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | March 25, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

My favorite is that her fans are saying how awesome she is because she is "a great lip-syncher"

Thanks for the laugh, Liz!

Posted by: Osteph | March 25, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier: Exactly!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 25, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm not ashamed. I went to the concert and thought it was great. (minus the screaming girls) Kind of half Cirque de Soleil half burlesque show. Singing, schminging, the girl can put on a good show!

Posted by: daytripper | March 25, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier, did you send that message from one of your new cars, from your new home addition, or from your latest vacation?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 25, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daytripper | March 25, 2009 2:42 PM

Pass the bong, trippy.

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 25, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Jez, Michael Phelps called. He wants his TokeMaster back.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 25, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

sas,
Actually I will be on another one of my MANY vacations next week! My 6th vacation in the last 24 months. Ain't life grand with no debt, a great wife, and a nice high paying job.
All it took to acheive this life, was for me to pay 100% of my own college expenses by working full time while attending college full time, then working 2 full time jobs for 3 years after college.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | March 25, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

While Iowahoosier speaks for me, I still want those damn kids off my lawn!

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 25, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Iowahoosier makes a valid point. I would however, posit that the fact that most of today's rock and pop performers are hindered by the fact that they grew up listening to OUR garbage music. The earliest rock n roll musicians grew up on gospel, jazz, blues, which in turn influenced their own creative abilities. Those influences are not held by many current performers, and it shows in the banal, anemic dreck that is forced upon us. Clone of a clone of a clone of a clone etc.

Posted by: jelo | March 25, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

sas,

Posted by: Iowahoosier | March 25, 2009 3:19 PM

------------------------------------------
And such a [cough-cough]humble man, too.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 25, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------
And such a [cough-cough]humble man, too.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 25, 2009 3:48 PM

Ha! Or it could be "great debt, a nice high paying wife, and no job."

Posted by: jelo | March 25, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Jelo and Iowahoosier both have valid points. The music industry is also at some level of fault here: like the movie and TV industries, record companies and radio conglomerates respond to what's popular, and then produce more of it. This is why we're on our (approximately) 27th Saw movie, and why Journey/Chicago/Boston/Nickelback/Train/Daughtry are all practically interchangeable.

I disagree with Iowahoosier on one point: Run DMC. You may not like rap, or its kissing cousin hiphop, but it's as genuinely American a musical form as jazz, and a major cultural force in this country.

Posted by: northgs | March 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Posted by: angelos_peter | March 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

iowahoosier... every generation has crap music, but that doesn't make it NOT crap. Madge was and is vile - it hasnt gotten better at all with age (ask Jesus).

As a fellow person in my 40s - for me having spent the better part of 4 days at SXSW listening to, hmmm, 14 acts i can name and maybe a hundred more i cant - the music of the 'kids today' is just fine by me. There was tons of crap - but tons of spectacular stuff that reminds me that it isnt all Britney-esque pablum.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | March 25, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I like her; she has a lot of catchy songs. Showing the skin is fine. You see more on the beach everyday, so the would be prudes should stop feigning indignation. It's all about the show and the event.

Posted by: dougx | March 25, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

sas,

Posted by: Iowahoosier | March 25, 2009 3:19 PM

------------------------------------------
And such a [cough-cough]humble man, too.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 25, 2009 3:48 PM

And he doesn't know how to spell!

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 26, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse