Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 03/27/2009

Insta-Poll: Who Makes the Best Marilyn Monroe?

By Liz Kelly

Scarlett Johansson was once rumored to be in the running to play Marilyn Monroe in a big screen biopic about the iconic actress. That never materialized, but ScarJo is undoubtedly channeling Monroe in Dolce & Gabbana's latest ad campaign:

Scarlett Johansson in the new D&G campaign. (Image courtesy Dolce & Gabbana)

Since Johansson is only the latest in a string of starlets to cop Monroe's style, I thought I'd ask who makes the best Marilyn. Take a look at these pictures, then cast your vote below:

Clockwise: Lindsay Lohan (New York Magazine), Madonna (Reuters), Mira Sorvino (HBO), Christina Aguilera (Reuters), Drew Barrymore (AP), Anna Nicole Smith (AP).

If I missed other faux Monroes, share your faves below. And tell me... who else would make a smashing Marilyn?

By Liz Kelly  | March 27, 2009; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Insta-Polls
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Madonna Files Papers for Second Adoption; Britney Spears Roadies Arrested in Detroit Dust Up
Next: Madonna Adoption Ruling Moved to Friday; Natasha Richardson 911 Tapes Released

Comments

It's a tough choice between them, but hard to see Christina Aguilera as Marilyn when she's making that candid face. =)

Posted by: JaMSw | March 27, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

None of the above. The territory's been ceded to the drag queens.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 27, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

ScarJo is hott, but not Marilyn. Sorry, it's Mira, and Drew is 1st runner up. Of all these chicks, Madge is the only one with a chance of actually remembering Marilyn. As mdreader points out, none of 'em really make it.

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 27, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

My vote (if the internet nazis allowed it) would also be for mira

Posted by: memphis1 | March 27, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Back in the day, Madonna did a pretty good impression. Now, not so much.

I know Kate Winslet was going for Catherine Deneuve in the Vanity Fair shoot last year, but I think she'd do a good Marilyn if so inclined.

The pic of LiLo reminds me of a young, angry Helen Gurley Brown.

Posted by: northgs | March 27, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

i'm going to go with Anna Nicole... since they're both dead.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | March 27, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure about the best, but LiLo is the worst, hands down, followed by Anna Nicole.

Marilyn might have been a train wreck in real life, but it never showed in her movies-LiLo and Anna Nicole, on the other hand, I just see a train wreck no matter the context. Also, LiLo bears literally no physical resemblance to Marilyn. The only resemblance comes from the hair, which is absurdly fake-looking.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | March 27, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

How about Dina Martina, Seattle's fav drag queen.

Posted by: kabuki3 | March 27, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Anna Nicole gets bonus points for marrying J. Howard Marshall, who was a contemporary of Joe DiMaggio. Now THAT is dedication to following in Norma Jean's footsteps. Unless there was some other reason she married him...

Posted by: karmadrome | March 27, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The late Kevyn Aucoin did a beautiful job making up Lisa Marie Presley as Marilyn Monroe in "Making Faces" (see http://www.ms-monroe.com/celebs2.html - 3rd item down).

The Liza Minelli version in "Face Forward", not as successful.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | March 27, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Scarlett Johansson "actress"actually is a clone from original person,who has nothing with acting career.Clone was created illegally using stolen biomaterial.Original Scarlett Galabekian last name is nice, CHRISTIAN young lady.Original family didn't authorize any activity with stolen biomaterials,no matter what form it was created in,it's all need to be back to original family control in Cedars-Sinai MedicalCenter in LA.Controlling clones is US military operation.Original Scarlett never was engaged,by the way

Posted by: ABHFGTY | March 27, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow, ScarJo a clone in a US military operation -- sometimes the trolls come up with better stuff than the regular celebritologists.

I voted for Anna Nicole since she went so far as the obligatory early death by drug overdose, but there really is no topping the original. Update your Netflix queue if you missed the fun.

Posted by: 44west | March 27, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Marilyn was a size 12. Of the choices, only Mira Sorvino is anywhere close...unless we go with the option of exhuming Anna Nicole.

I'm with mdreader. Let's go with the drag queens.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 27, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Yikes! LiLo is fugly in that photo!

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 27, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Debbie Mazur as Marilyn. She would have to dye her hair or wear a wig, though.

Posted by: cjbriggs | March 27, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

How about Ashley Judd as norma jean?

Posted by: metatext | March 27, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I go with Mira. She has the expression down. However, ScarJo can come over to my house and pretend to be whoever she wants.

Posted by: yellojkt | March 27, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

LiLo bears the closest resemblance, since she, too, looks quite dead in that photo. Must be the white lipstick.

And why do some women feel the need to channel a whackadoodle neurotic who committed suicide ... ?

Posted by: Californian11 | March 27, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Marilyn seemed to exude an innocence and sexuality that isn't picked up in any of the pictures you've posted. If only Dorothy Stratten were still alive, she was a gorgeous Marilyn in a 1980 Playboy shoot.

The movie producers probably need to find an unknown, with that innocence about her to fulfill the role of Marilyn.

Posted by: sa11ee | March 27, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: yellojkt | March 27, 2009 1:18 PM

Ha, ha! Wonder what ScarJo is like in real life...

Posted by: jezebel3 | March 27, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Marilyn would probably wear a 6 today. She was actually quite wee. The size-12 cited was British and tailored down.
If you watch her in one of her dramas, she has this sweet, lost presence that is a lot like Drew Barrymore. Her breathy voice -- I don't know if ScarJo could do that. She's so much more earthy and has a very different presence.
You know, that Poppy Montgomery movie, Blonde? She did a freakishly good impression.
Wow. I'm kind of a MM fan, aren't I?

Posted by: otherliz | March 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

AsinMoCo, obviously you have never seen "The Misfits."

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 27, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Definitely Mira.

I feel about ScarJo as Liz does about Diane Keaton, so just on principle I'd never vote for her for anything. However, that photo of her just creeps me out -- can skin really be so pale on a person who's actually alive? She looks like she's been dead for six weeks.

-The Poster Formerly Known As Snarky Squirrel

Posted by: 7900rmc | March 27, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Otherliz is right. Poppy Montgomery did a very good job playing Marilyn.

Posted by: pras40 | March 27, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Lohan looks like monroe, only if marilyn had been a meth addict.

Posted by: nobdy | March 27, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

late posting: only one marilyn, wackadoodle or not. others merely poseurs, including the drag queens. do not understand the need/desire to imitate dead people. here in arizona, we have more than our share of elvis clones roaming about. possibly an example of more military clones.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 28, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Time to let Marilyn rest in peace.

However,if we must choose, I'm also with midreader: a drag queen.

One thing you have to say for Marilyn Monroe is that she was original, and a very funny actress.

Posted by: cococo | March 29, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I voted for Drew Barrymore because I think she's one of the few who can carry off that sexy yet innocent vibe that Monroe had.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | March 30, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse