Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 03/30/2009

Madonna Adoption Ruling Moved to Friday; Natasha Richardson 911 Tapes Released

By Liz Kelly

Madonna arrives at a Malawi court on Monday. (AP)

Monday

Headlines: Malawian judge delays Madonna adoption ruling to Friday; son David Banda reunited with biological father... Natasha Richardson 911 tapes released; Liam Neeson returns to work... Some Twittering celebs, including 50 Cent, use ghostwriters... Britney Spears's father forces fan site to shut down... Steve Wozniak to walk "Dancing with the Stars" partner Karina Smirnoff down the aisle... Candy Spelling doesn't speak to daughter Tori or grandkids... Katherine Heigl says she has no plans to leave "Grey's Anatomy."

Pix & Vid: Paula Abdul at this weekend's Kids' Choice Awards... Amy Winehouse's pink ballet slippers come out of retirement... Cruise host John Mayer rocks short shorts... Christina Aguilera fetes Perez Hilton in leopard print leotard... Paris Hilton at the launch of her new sunglass collection... Video: Ashton Kutcher gets waxed (slightly NSFW).

Rumor Mill: Angelina Jolie wants two more kids; Brangelina living apart during "Salt" production?... "Bromance" star Frankie Delgado says Rihanna is just a friend... Tommy Lee (46) dating 24-year-old reality show contestant?... Christian Slater splits from Jimmy Choo founder Tamara Mellon... Mariah Carey spotted sipping red wine through a straw (second item).

By Liz Kelly  | March 30, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Insta-Poll: Who Makes the Best Marilyn Monroe?
Next: Should Madonna Adopt Again?

Comments

I'm always happy when I get a new oxymoron to add to my lexicon!

Today, it's: "Bromance" Star

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 30, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Why do we need to hear the 911 tapes from Natasha Richardson's accident?

Katherine Heigl may not have plans to leave Grey's, but that doesn't take into account any plans the producers might have for her.

John Mayer is definitely cruisin'.

Posted by: northgs | March 30, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe that Malawian judge. Doesn't he know who Madge is? It's like that "former cheerleader" on Amazing Race, who was really po'ed that the guy who runs a traditional herb shop in Thailand doesn't even speak English.

Woz and Karina? Ew.

Any chance Amy's pink ballet slippers will end up in the Smithsonian like Dorothy's Ruby Slippers did? Guess not.

Movie stars living apart during filming! Stop the presses! (Altho they WERE in DC at the same time.)

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 30, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Steve Wozniak a regular on celebritology... it's like a plague of frogs.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | March 30, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm just cranky, but there seems to be a high "ick" factor this morning. Madonna, Candy Spelling, Amy Winehouse, John Mayer, Paris Hilton, Ashton Kutcher, Tommy Lee - whole lotta "ick" going on!

Posted by: jaybbub | March 30, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Katherine - Didn't you say earlier this season that you wanted off of Grey's? What happened? The movie offers not quite pouring in?

Posted by: JLRGG | March 30, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Not much snarking here, but I would like to request a moment of silence. I have lost the ability to view the dailymail website thanks to the surf-blocker at work.

Hours of counterproductivity down the drain!

Posted by: eet7e | March 30, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"David Banda reunited with biological father" - and let's all hope Madonna gets her deposit back.

Liz Kelly, I am shocked - shocked! I tell you - that Fiddy and others use ghostwriters.

"Katherine Heigl says she has no plans to leave 'Grey's Anatomy.'"
"What is, Things Isaiah Washington said first, Alex?"

Mariah Carey sipping wine through a straw: at least she didn't tear a corner off with her teeth and drink straight from the box like she usually does.

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 30, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Not that I'm a Mariah fan or anything (I'm not) but she's probably drinking red wine through a straw so her teeth don't get stained. That's what they say to do so you don't ruin your teeth whitening.
It strikes me as a tacky thing to do in public though.

Posted by: JLRGG | March 30, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

i hate to be heartless, but izzy stephens must die, and i wouldn't be sad if she took alex karev with her.

Posted by: memphis1 | March 30, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Hours of counterproductivity down the drain!

Posted by: eet7e | March 30, 2009 10:11 AM

****

Three words for you, eet7e: Non carborundum illegitimatus.

If they cut off access to your favourite sites, you must redouble your efforts to imagine what those sites have on them that is so offensive. With a little work, you'll be so busy with the virtual internet in your head you won't even know you have a real job. (Possible non-optimal outcome: you'll be so busy with the virtual internet in your head you won't even *have* a real job.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | March 30, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, why on earth do they release 911 tapes? What possible good does that serve? In fact does it deter celebrities or other prominent folk from calling 911 in order to avoid this?

Posted by: Snowball2 | March 30, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Haha, thank's byoolin! I actually have that saying written on a post-it stuck to my computer screen (I have it as Illegitimi non carborundum... :) )

I'm just glad they haven't blocked darkufo yet. And wapo.com will never be blocked because we actually use it for work! haHA!

oh! And a tad bit of snarking. I was almost sure she'd be drinking from a bottle with a straw, not from glasses.

Madonna has thrown the gauntlet, and Angelina has taken the challenge. It's going to be a rumble, Octomom style.

And Jimmy Choo was founded by a woman!? I'm so disillusioned.

Posted by: eet7e | March 30, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

So a 50-year-old bottle blond in the midst of an acrimonius divorce while simultaneously touring the world wearing black underwear and a tophat on stage AND having casual sexual relationships with a married baseball player and a practically underage male model is a good candidate to adopt another child?

Madonna should never have been permitted to adopt the first child from Malawi. And, in fact, if she were a decent human being, she would have spent some tiny fraction of her hundreds of millions of dollars on keeping that boy with his family who, clearly, didn't want to give him up but saw no option.

Instead of taking him from his home, his father, and everything he knew, she should have helped the family keep him instead of grabbing him up as the latest rich celeb accessory. That would have been the truly humanitarian choice -- especially if she had kept it secret. But that would have meant no photo ops, no sound bites.

Madonna is a loathsome woman, and I hope the government of Malawi holds firm and refuses her another "accessory."

Posted by: kjohnson3 | March 30, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

kjohnson3, yeah, but the ho can sing!

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 30, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Candy Spelling probably never talks to Tori because she could never find her in that huge mansion and as such, got out of the habit of conversing with her.

("Is she in the bowling alley? The cinema? Maria, have you seen Tori? She was around here somewhere. I think I ran into her around 1993. Or was it 94? Those 90210 years all run together for me. I don't even know what her hair color is these days, come to think of it. Well, let me know if you see her. I have to tell her that I'm selling the house. Thanks. I'll be in the salon.")

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 30, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

td, I suspect Candy was in the Botox room.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

"Ghost twitterers": Could anyone possibly BE more lazy? Unless you've lost the use of your hands, perhaps, what is the point of hiring someone to type such necessary bon mots as "Saw Ashton being waxed" and click Send?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 30, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"Britney Spears's father forces fan site to shut down" -- One hopes that the cease-and-desist letter ended with, "I'm doing this for you, really. Now step away from the PC and get a real life." Though I suspect not.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | March 30, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

What kjohnson said about Madonna. I, for one, am not opposed to international adoptions in principle, or even to celebrity international adoptions in principle. If you want to adopt an orphan who clearly would have nearly no chance at a decent life, fine by me. However, if one of the kid's parents is very noticeably alive and wishes he/she could keep the kid but simply doesn't have the means, and you feel strongly enough about the kid to want to adopt him, set parent and child up with a trust fund that allows them to live a decent life-have them send progress reports, I don't care. But don't take a kid away from an obviously loving parent who is too poor to be able to provide even a basic standard of living. Especially not if you plan to expose that kid to what is, by all reasonable standards, a completely effed-up home environment. End of rant.

Meanwhile, re Wozniak and Smirnoff-reddragon, they're not getting married; they've become such good friends that Woz is walking her down the aisle at her wedding to that other dancing guy. That's not icky. Actually, it's so cute that I can't even snark on it. Good for them.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | March 30, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

reddragon, agree with you completely on that redhead nfl cheerleader on TAR. She is one mean be'atch!
Too bad the short guys got penalized for their airpump stunt. I thought it was a little ingenious, myself. My sis-in-law and I had it planned if we ever get on TAR, we were going to take all the car keys from the cars lined up and throw them together in one big heap so people would just have to keep trying keys to get their car to start. Guess we'll have to rethink that strategy.

Posted by: hodie | March 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

oh totally agree on that redhead on TAR - we were watching and even the boy made a comment about how they were not nice to the man in his shop...

I was incredibly moved by how they all reacted to being in India last week, of course for the red heads it was all about that 'they' felt uncomfortable with animals in the road and stuff, whereas with the other teams it was totally different. The mother and son were very upset seeing children eating trash.

I have to say I hated seeing the tiger chained up in the zoo - I hate zoos. It isn't right.

Anyway - I am totally rooting for the mom and son - I wanted the father and son to stay on - they seemed like such good peeps..

Posted by: LTL1 | March 30, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

there seems to be a high "ick" factor this morning
****
you are spot on, jaybbub. gross.
i hate it that the 911 info was released. so private and devastating, her struggle.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 30, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

My local paper had more quotes from the Katherine Heigl interview linked to above, including this gem:

"I don't know if I want to continue for five years working 12 months a year, but I can take at least another year or two," she said.

Yes, we've said it before, but it bears repeating: Katherine Heigl, keep your motuh shut!

Posted by: newengland1 | March 30, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"The Love Boat/Soon we'll be making another run/The Love Boat/Promises something for everyone/ Set a course for adventure/Your mind on a new romance..." sings John Mayer, channeling Gopher.

Posted by: clw96 | March 30, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Katherine Heigl
"I don't know if I want to continue for five years working 12 months a year, but I can take at least another year or two"

Never thought I'd be leaping to Heigl's defense, plus we really need for sorcerer's_cat expertise. But, my impression is that working on a TV show or movie isn't usually a 40-hour work-week, but rather a 6-7 day week, 15-18 hours/day. Five more years of that, especially if she wants to spend more time with her husband, or if they want to have a child, is a whole lot more demanding and stressful than the sort of lives most of us Lizards lead.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Was Amy Winehouse sucking her thumb in that picture??

Posted by: Osteph | March 30, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

My heart just breaks for Liam Neeson. So, so sad.

Red wine with a straw? Whitened teeth protection aside, wine aficionados everywhere cringe ...

I am laughing uncontrollably at the meathead wrestler's poem to Robin Quivers ... oh, man. If you have to say you're great in the sack, well, you probably aren't, dude.

Is Amy Nutball sucking her thumb? And I didn't realize the gross ballet shoes were ever IN retirement.

Xtina has a great bod, except for those painful-looking watermelons bolted to her chest, but good gracious girl, scrape off some of that Day-Glo makeup you applied with a garden trowel! Surely there is an attractive woman under all that glop.

Anyone up for starting a campaign to convince Crazy Angelina to get her tubes tied? Or just stop already? Or get some much-needed counseling?!

Posted by: Californian11 | March 30, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Osteph ... we must have posted at the same time!

Posted by: Californian11 | March 30, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Osteph and Californian, I believe this comes under the rubric of "Great minds think alike"!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: buffysummers | March 30, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Whythankyou, Nosy. :-)

"Am I the only one who thinks Christina Aguilera is looking more and more like a drag queen?" No...

Posted by: Californian11 | March 30, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Is Christian Slater a heel for spiking his romance to baby doll Tamara Mellon? Or was she too soleful for him? Are the tabloids trying to pump up this story?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 30, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Sas: SPLOOT!

BTW, did you see the commentary "Pun for the Ages"? If not, I think you (and most of the other Lizards) might enjoy it:

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Sas
Are the tabloids trying to pump up this story?

It seems to be a wedge issue. Or else they're vamping for time till something more in-step with the times comes up.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: buffysummers | March 30, 2009 1:18 PM

========
A drag queen would wear more outlandish, but opaque hose (for obvious reasons.)

she's probably drinking red wine through a straw so her teeth don't get stained....It strikes me as a tacky thing to do in public though.

Posted by: JLRGG | March 30, 2009 10:24 AM
=========
Even tackier when you've told everyone that you're trying to conceive a baby, which was the whole point of the article.

Candy Spelling says, "Someday my grandchildren will know who I am because of the trust funds I've set up."
==========
Yeah. You'll be the rich woman who left them money.

50 Cent uses a ghostwriter for Twitter. Wonder if he's also available as a lyricist.

"Tommy had kegs of Jagermeister everywhere"
===
Let's hope someone had bottles of Pepto-Bismol everywhere else.

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 30, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Did Tamara Mellon give Christian Slater the boot, or did he merely slipper the key? Didn't Tarama Mellon sling back Christian's charge that she was a loafer by calling him a sneaker? Will they clog the tabloids with charge and countercharge? Perhaps they should take a Sandals vacation and ride the mules to see if they can reconcile.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 30, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

The best thing about the Christine Aguilera snippet is that part of the caption stating "...she headed to the Viper Room in West Hollywood."

Betcha that there are more than a few one-eyed vipers stalking her in there.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 30, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Page Six reports that Natasha Komis was following Tommy Lee like a puppy dog. What does he have that she so badly wants?

Besides that.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 30, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Was Amy Winehouse sucking her thumb in that picture??

Posted by: Osteph | March 30, 2009 12:50 PM
-------------------------------------------
Yes, but the bodyguard was trying to persuade her to suck something else.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 30, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Sas
Betcha that there are more than a few one-eyed vipers stalking her in there.

But I doubt that Xtina's their, um, type.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

If you have to say you're great in the sack, well, you probably aren't, dude.
****
how true, how true. i fell for that line. once. in college. many, many light years ago.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 30, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

You'll be the rich woman who left them money.
****
and who (whom?) they never had to take the trouble to get to know. in this case, sweet.

Posted by: frieda406 | March 30, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

But I doubt that Xtina's their, um, type.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 3:17 PM
--------------------------------------------
Nosy, are you saying that Christina would rather munch the red carpet than walk on it?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 30, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Nope, Sas, just that many WeHo residents prefer men.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 30, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse