Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 03/11/2009

Material Girl: Madonna's Stuff on Display and Up for Sale

By Liz Kelly

An argument could be made that the last quarter century has been utterly owned by Madonna. And now, in a new London exhibit, items that still carry an afterglow from coming into contact with her Madgesty are on display in the biggest ever retrospective of her on-stage and on-screen personas.

Step right up and see the world's most pointed bustiers. Gaze in wonder at the coral pink "Material Girl" dress used to great effect in drawing comparisons between herself and screen icon Marilyn Monroe. And you won't believe your eyes when you see the rather pedestrian wedding dress Ms. Ciccone wore on-stage in her "Like a Virgin" days. Still, when combined, the 300-item show does serve to remind us that Madge -- despite Jesus, Kabbalah and the lot -- is a massive honking star and a self-made star, at that. (Gallery: Madge's Material Goods)

If a peek isn't enough, several of the items will go on the auction block in early April. Get your capital together now if you'd like to bid on the "A League of Their Own" baseball uniform, one "owned and worn" black slip or some signed legal docs from Madonna's first marriage to Sean Penn.

And, no, Madge herself has nothing to do with the auction.

Image courtesy Marquee Capital.

By Liz Kelly  | March 11, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Fashion
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brown's Text Buddy Revealed; Katie Holmes's New Look
Next: Patrick Swayze Denies He's Close to Death; Chris Brown Withdraws from Kids' Choice Running

Comments

So when does she file the lawsuit against the auctioneer?

Posted by: mdreader01 | March 11, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

FYI folks, a very loud advertisement pops up prior to the gallery.

I've always loved the Material Girl dress. Now I'm adding the Eva Peron clothing to my wish list. Love that stuff.

Posted by: pras40 | March 11, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Watching the Material Girl video, a few random thoughts...

She's WAAAAYYYY too skinny now. I mean, I've been thinking that, but wow - she really was rather pretty back then - very "Lemon Tart". What the hell happened, Madge?

Girl knows how to record a catchy, catchy tune. I now have an earworm for today.

Even though that dress screams "1980's", I think a lot of girls wearing strapless these days need to look at the way that dress fit her. No side spilling out of cleavage at all.

Okay, it's 3 degrees. I'm not thinking in a linear fashion...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | March 11, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Agreed pras, those Evita dresses are the best out of the whole bunch.

Oddly enough, without Madonna in that stuff, most of it looks pretty good. Even the bullet bras.

Posted by: wadejg | March 11, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Woo-hoo! A document with Sean Penn's autograph!

Posted by: reddragon1 | March 11, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I think I speak for many when I say that I wish Madonna's "stuff" wasn't on display so much these days.

Posted by: MStreet1 | March 11, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Agreed about the Evita clothes. I ADORE the inauguration ball gown, that neckline is so unique. In the more day-to-day wear, my first reaction was "Wow, I can't believe Madonna would wear something so classy." It made a lot more sense when I read the caption and found out it was wardrobe from Evita.

on an unrelated note, but related to yesterday's comments....Nosy and hodie, totally missed the after-5 comments about categories of DWTS celebrities. It seems that they always have (in addition to the ones you mentioned): the football player, the olympian/athlete, the model/actress/bombshell, the "comedian," the washed-up singer, the "thick" girl (not fat, just not rail skinny - like Sabrina Bryan and L'il Kim), and the sob story. It seems like Wozniak is a mix of the old one and the nerd. The sob story/challenge in the past has been Marlee Matlin, Heather Mills, etc. This year it seems like a tie between Steve-o's rehab and the bachelor chick.
Also, there's the unknown who comes from behind - a la Helio and Giles, and the "youngest star ever to compete on DWTS." Last year, Cody Linley was the youngest, now it's Shawn Johnson.

Posted by: eet7e | March 11, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Queen Liz writes:

"An argument could be made that the last quarter century has been utterly owned by Madonna."

So that's who is behind the credit-mortgage bubble meltdown!

MADGE, YOU BEYOTCH!!!!!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | March 11, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I dunno. The staging of the exhibit is weirdly blah. And those mannequins don't come close to filling out the bullets.

Posted by: jelo | March 11, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse