Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 04/23/2009

Lindsay Lohan Says Split was a Surprise; Jolie to Play Kay Scarpetta

By Liz Kelly

Fergie poses at Wednesday's annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards in Hollywood. (Reuters)
Thursday

Headlines: Lindsay Lohan says Samantha Ronson split took her by surprise... Dad says Beyonce's lackluster "Today" performance was doctored... Usher makes unannounced White House visit... Angelina Jolie to star as Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta... Jim Carrey takes up anti-vaccination cause... John Travolta makes solo visit to Tahiti... Evan Rachel Wood signs on for guest role on HBO's "True Blood"... Arnold Schwarzenegger may appear in new "Terminator" film (kind of).

Crime Watch: Police clear father of "Slumdog" star Rubina Ali... Shots fired at Dog the Bounty Hunter in Colorado.

Pix & Video: Kate Moss and Fergie go for futuristic chic... Justin Timberlake jumps on girlfriend Jessica Biel at Lakers game.

Rumor Mill: Jennifer Hudson pregnant?... Britney Spears pregnancy rumor surfaces on Twitter... Michael Phelps dating controversial Miss California?... Madonna-employed nanny still caring for Mercy James... Octomom was a stripper called "Angelina" for a year, claims tabloid... Salma Hayek to renew wedding vows this weekend in Venice... John Mayer dating 24-year-old model?... Gwyneth Paltrow gives free gym membership to plump pal Mario Batali... Phil Spector's son shopping tell-all memoir... Robert Pattinson and Kristin Stewart spotted holding hands (OMG!).

Say What?
"That was made as a joke! Never been kissed? I've never stopped." -- Newly-plucked "Britain's Got Talent" insta-star Susan Boyle, who says she was just kidding about the whole chaste thing.

Chat Day: Join me at 2 p.m. ET for this week's edition of Celebritology Live. Then, switch gears for The "Lost" Hour at 3 p.m. ET.

By Liz Kelly  | April 23, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celebrity Life Lesson No. 1,254: Terrence Howard, Escape Artist
Next: Britney's Not Pregnant, Y'All. Calm Down.

Comments

Lindsay, if you want to avoid any more surprises, start reading Celebritology!

"Usher makes unannounced White House visit... " In the old days, a brother shows up at the Whizzle Hizzle without an invite, brother's got the Secret Service waaaay up his ass, you know what I'm sayin'?

Angelina Jolie as Kay Scarpetta. The Lovely Mrs. byoolin, a fan of Cornwell's books, reacts: "She's PERFECT... Not." (I confess to caring not even a little bit.)

"Phil Spector's son shopping tell-all memoir." Good. I, for one, would like to know what the hell he was thinking when he was mixing the album version of "Let It Be."

"Never been kissed? I've never stopped." And so the remaking of Susan Boyle begins. We await with bated breath the cellphone sex video.

Posted by: byoolin1 | April 23, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

i was laughing about beyonce's board mix nightmare most of the day yesterday... doctored? i seriously doubt it. Her father's outrage is guaranteed to spread the story - great job dad - lol. The fact is that now that we have on the fly pitch correction software (hell, there's stuff out there that will fix components in chords on the fly) we're just going to have to get used to the idea that entertainers dont have to be very good. Beyonce can sing - but i think they get used to being allowed to lipsynch to a prerecording that's been 'cleaned up'. That's the pablum the Today Show really wants to deliver - which is why that behind the curtain board tape is so very funny.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 23, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Two unhappy things in today's column:

1. Angelina Jolie is not Kay Scarpetta. Besides being blond, Kay EATS.

2. Oh put Susan Boyle back the way she was. If the makeover comes with bursting the bubble, I'll live without the makeover.

Posted by: epjd | April 23, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Re Phelps' new friend:

"During the pageant, [Perez] Hilton asked [Miss California Carrie] Prejean if every state should follow Vermont in legalizing same sex marriage....

"Hilton... said his question was relevant and that Prejean should have 'left her politics and her religion out because Miss USA represents all Americans.'"

So Perez asks a *clearly* political question and wants the respondent to leave her politics out of it? Sounds like he wants to have it both ways. (Which, I would assume, Ms. California also opposes.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | April 23, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice on the Daily Mail site that she done been plucked?

Posted by: milesdy | April 23, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"Gwyneth Paltrow gives free gym membership to plump pal Mario Batali... "

"Mario is the only fat friend she has, and wants him to change."

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 23, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Jim Carrey is dumb AND dumber. While I give some credence to his comments about there being no comprehensive study of every medicine ever, that's kinda life, pal. Accept it. He's like Oliver Stone looking for a second shooter.

Plus, comments like, "isn't it possible that profits may play a part in the decision-making?" shows a tremendous naivete. Jim and others never talk about the fact that drug companies spend millions on drugs that never hit the market.

The revenue from drugs that do make it to market helps fund R&D for that future cancer cure. Jenny hasn't been good for him. If only they'd harness their powers -- and bank accounts -- for good instead of evil, maybe the industry could complete a few more studies. Put that in your syringe and shoot it, Jimbo.

And I love this: "In all likelihood the truth about vaccines is that they are both good and bad." And if I use Pledge as a dessert topping instead of using it to clean my coffee table, I might feel sick too. Thanks, Einstein.

Let's just refer to him as "rubberfaced comedian Jim Carrey" (like every lazy journalist always does) and leave the medical expertise to the experts. Put down the pen, Liar Liar.

Sheesh, first Julia Stiles and the Mets. Now Jim Carrey and Vaccines. What's next, Melissa Joan Hart addressing the U.N. about Afghanistan?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 23, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The fact is that now that we have on the fly pitch correction software.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 23, 2009 9:04 AM
=============
Sounds like something the Natinals, I mean Nationals could use.

Posted by: byoolin1 | April 23, 2009 9:08 AM
===========
Perez is an idiot. California's problem was not that she expressed her opinion but that she doesn't have a firm grasp on what "Americans are able to choose."

"Arnold Schwarzenegger may appear in new 'Terminator' film (kind of.)"
===========
What? Is someone doing a documentary on his term as Governor of Ca-leaf-horn-nee-ya?

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 23, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to see Fergie recycling Tilda Swinton's Oscar frock from last year for an Earth Day red carpet appearance.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 23, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"Justin Timberlake jumps on girlfriend Jessica Biel at Lakers game." -- Has that boy ever met a camera he didn't try to hog?

"John Travolta makes solo visit to Tahiti" -- who's this Tahiti person? Male model?

"Michael Phelps dating controversial Miss California?" -- I hope it's true. At least she can wear heels with him. And she'd better wear her sash so he doesn't get her confused with her identical twin Miss North Carolina.

"Phil Spector's son shopping tell-all memoir" -- I guess "tell-all" means it's not about the trips to Disneyland and meeting Ronnie Spector. Was the man behind the Wall of Sound more Bing Crosby or Joan Crawford? Wait and read.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 23, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Today's Morning Mix fills me with hope for humanity.

That Madonna's nanny can still care for Mercy James (any chance that "Slumdog" actress can acquire her services?)

That Barack Obama receives unannounced visitors. It helps to be a celebrity who owns a successful basketball team, but nonetheless...

That John Mayer has found the perfect accessory for his "rented home in Calabasas, California," which is full of beer and food-- a girl who modeled for Doritos and "was a runner-up in a Hawaiian Tropic Pageant."

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 23, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Semi-unrelated. Happy Birthday to Kal Penn, DC's latest celebrity addition.

Posted by: eet7e | April 23, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Lindsay, when you coked up, *everything* surprises you.

Whenever Obama stands-up an entertainer, it makes news.

With some certitude, I can declare, "Ryan Seacrest, you are NOT the father."

If Miss California offered to date me, I'd put on my best Rodney King show her how we can all get along.

Shots fired at Dog the Bounty Hunter? Perhaps the shooter was a confused mullett hunter.

Seeing as Justin Timberlake and Jecsica Biel were at a basketball game, should not she have been the jumper? Why do you think they call it a Jump Ball?

So Octomom was not only a stripper, but reported "very worldly". Time for her to buy the rights to OctoPussy.

Thanks a helluva lot, Salma. not only do you get married, but you have to re-stage the ceremony, just to rub our noses in it.

Given a choice between a comedian I can't stand (Jim Carrey), and Big Pharma, I'll go with the lessor of two evils and believe Jim Carrey. Perhaps when Big Pharma stops using shareholder money to send me letters twlling which Presidential candidate to vote for, maybe then I'll find their propaganda about research budgets a bit more believable.

Big Pharma needs to die.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 23, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else notice on the Daily Mail site that she done been plucked?

Posted by: milesdy | April 23, 2009 9:30 AM
=============
I'm always shocked over the transformation a little eyebrow plucking can make. In Susan's case, it took her from John Lithgow to Julia Child.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 23, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Rut-roh! Salma's already renewing her wedding vows? Bring on the matching tattoos!

Posted by: jaybbub | April 23, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Jim Carrey is dumb AND dumber." Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 23, 2009 10:20 AM

He's also about as funny as his "report"; gawd is that Jenny McCarthy screwing the crap out of him. Why else would he feel compelled to write a REPORT on the ills of vaccinations.

As a mommy of two, I'd rather they be vaccinated against diseases that could cause needless suffering and/or death. I'm sorry about Jenny's son's autism but I'd rather have a healthy child than one suffering from a disease that could kill them.

Posted by: plamar1031 | April 23, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

right on, td about the Jim Carrey comments. Jim is not going to find a study on childhood vaccines that does not involve a pediatrician. What is his gripe with the AAP? He is wrong if he thinks there are no studies. There just aren't any legit studies that support his claims. I doubt there will be. Although, I do believe it is always healthy to have a dose of skepticism, one should not discount good scientific evidence because it doesn't support his anecdotal proof.
We are all vested in this Jim, and thank your parents if they had you vaccinated. The benefits far outweigh the risks, real and imagined.

Posted by: hodie | April 23, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Lilo, what part of "get the hell out of my life" did you not understand?
(ok I'm feeling mean now)

Wow, Fergie rocks the Glad Bag! Just not sure if the suede boots go.

Gwynnie, haven't you ever heard the saying "you can lead a horse to water..". I'm sure Mario can afford his own membership if he wanted.

Careful with the makeover, Susan, you don't want to start looking like Mimi. (and byoo, pass the brain bleach after that 8:56 comment)

Posted by: hodie | April 23, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

How interesting that Jenny McCarthy is aghast at the risks of childhood vaccinations, but apparently didn't mind the risk of having those silly cone boobies for several years.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 23, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

You know, I think Jolie would be fine as Scarpetta, since they're both so creepy.
I'm a little surprised that she's willing to be associated with Cornwell's politics, however.

Posted by: otherliz | April 23, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Lilo, epiphanies have a way of sneaking up on you.

Mrs. byoo, and others, are absolutely correct. Angie cannot be Scarpetta. Lilo could clearly play her niece, tho.

As a guinea pig in one of the first public polio vac trials, I have to say I always thought the vaccine scare was in the "pop rocks can kill you" category of rumors. Unfortunately, only people in the third world seem to have a clue about what childhood diseases can do. And I am with sas (and others) on how much the drug-industrial complex sux.

Posted by: reddragon1 | April 23, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

From a NY Times story about the dearth of Yankee fans sitting in the rich people seats right behind home plate:

"Bill Scheft, a writer for “Late Show with David Letterman,” posed an instant solution.

“They’re desperate,” he said. “They just sent the Octomom nine comps.”"
------
Lindsay Lohan looks really bad. I hope Ellen was serving sandwiches on the set.
------
Surely Gwynneth wouldn't be so presumptuous to give a fat person a gym membership.

Posted by: pras40 | April 23, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Jim Carrey... please keep yours/Jenny's nonvaccinated kids in a bubble so when the do contract the measles, they don't pass it on to the people that don't have a choice about the vaccination. There's a reason those diseases went away when the vaccines started, and there's a reason the vaccines are mandatory for kids to go to school.

Posted by: franchiseinATL | April 23, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Jim Carrey just needs to shut up. Because of people like him, diseases that were almost gone in the US are popping up (weren't there a bunch of Mumps cases in VA this week)?

When he becomes an MD, I'll listen to him, until then, I'll believe my sister, an infectious disease pediatrician, who in now way, is part of "Big Pharma" but is very well versed in the many, many studies done by the CDC to figure out the doses and when to give them to make them the most effective. AGH! This crap just makes me mad and I don't have any kids!!!

Posted by: suzannepdc | April 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Someone should let Jim Carrey know that the shoot for "Yes, Man" ended a while ago. Unless now he's in training for the sequel "Yes, Maam."

Posted by: MStreet1 | April 23, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Wow - if I had know that Obama was open to unannounced visitors, I would have popped over this weekend when I was in town. I think he might have been out of town, but I would have been cool to play with the dog.

Posted by: suzannepdc | April 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

"weren't there a bunch of Mumps cases in VA this week" - Measels cases in MD, DC and NOVA reported this week.

"there's a reason the vaccines are mandatory for kids to go to school" - Sadly, I'm pretty sure you can basically write a letter to the school saying you don't vaccinate for whatever your reason is and your kid goes to school.

Sorry, but I really hate when Celebs turn into experts. Especially when it comes to medical stuff.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | April 23, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"Sadly, I'm pretty sure you can basically write a letter to the school saying you don't vaccinate for whatever your reason is and your kid goes to school."
Sad but true, Vienna. That makes me so angry. My sister did that and now that her daughter is 11, I am sending her info on Gardasil as heavy hints to get a clue and vaccinate her daughter against HPV/cervical cancer.

On a lighter note, it's always a good day when we have a link to the Daily Mail. That site is a hoot!

And there is NO WAY that anorexic model (sidebar story) eats at all, let alone well.

LiLo. Shut. Up. The poor-me whining is so borrrinnnngg.

The plot thickens against Clown Car Vagina ...

Does Angelina Jolie ever stop working? She may well be the workingest actress in movies.

Wow, Salma Hayek's marriage is on the rocks ALREADY?!

Posted by: Californian11 | April 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Californian11

It's a pattern with Angelina. Constant work - constant moving - constant adding children. Totally in character.

Posted by: Amelia5 | April 23, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be interesting to see how they adapt the Scarpetta books. I myself kind of bailed on them a few years ago because it seems to me all the main characters are so damned depressed all the time--seriously, I wanted to get them all prescriptions to snap out of it. Granted, murder and mayhem aren't "happy" topics, but lugubrious characters make for slow heavy reading.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 23, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so Basic Training is not as fun as advertised. Just a quick hello from everyone's favorite island chieftan.

There's no more Lilo and SamRo? How can I go on with life now?

Two more weeks and I'm done Lizards!

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | April 23, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Re: Terence...A black man complains about producers backing out of a deal & you call that whining??? Really?

Posted by: slysly77 | April 24, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse