Posted at 7:49 AM ET, 04/20/2009

Madonna Blames Paps for Tumble from Horse

By Liz Kelly

David Hasselhoff and an unidentified guest attend the Coachella music festival in Indio, Calif., on Sunday. (Getty Images)
Monday

Headlines: Photog says paparazzi not to blame for Madonna's weekend tumble from horse... Spencer Pratt challenges Ashton Kutcher to Twitter race (does Twitter have the best marketing dept. ever?)... Son says Farrah Fawcett is down to just 86 pounds... Brooke Hogan says dad's O.J. comment was taken out of context... Mickey Rourke vows revenge on "The Soup's" Joel McHale for Loki jokes... Julia Stiles pens WSJ article about new Mets stadium... Kate Hudson celebrates 30th birthday with pals Gwyneth Paltrow, Eva Mendes -- but no Owen Wilson... Bill Murray hits woman with golf ball during tournament... "Grey's Anatomy's" Ellen Pompeo expecting first child... Mel Gibson's lawyer has judge in divorce case replaced....Father denies he tried to sell young "Slumdog" star.

Crime Watch: Woman arrested on Britney Spears's property says she was just filming a documentary.

Pix & Video: Jake Gyllenhaal greets paparazzi at Coachella music festival | More celebs at Coachella... Drew Barrymore's White Out... Sarah Jessica Parker thinks pink... Kim Kardashian's tan line.

Rumor Mill: Rep denies reports that Amy Winehouse plans to adopt from St. Lucia... Upcoming unauthorized bio claims Paul Newman was an alcoholic, womanizer... Lindsay Lohan reportedly flirts with Leonardo DiCaprio at L.A. club... Former colleague says "Real Housewife" Kelly Bensimon stole her jewelry line concept.

Say What?
"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not. I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want." -- Jackie Chan speaking on Saturday at a business conference in China's Hainan province.

By Liz Kelly  | April 20, 2009; 7:49 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jamie Foxx, Hulk Hogan Lose; Barrymore and Boyle Win -- This Week's Best and Worst
Next: Jake Gyllenhaal, Ab-solutely Cheezy

Comments

"If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want." -- Jackie Chan"

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Jackie "Yogi Berra" Chan. Sounds like Mr. Chan has been spending some time in North Korea.

And as an aside, for jez and everyone else fed up with the Obamas' farts, check out today's "Close to Home" comic. The spittake count for the week is at 1.

Posted by: eet7e | April 20, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

"Brooke Hogan says dad's O.J. comment was taken out of context." (Kind of like how O.J.'s killing his ex-wife and her friend was also taken out of context, I guess.)

If I knew Gwyneth was going to be at Kate's b-day thing, I probably wouldn't go either. Come to think of it, if I knew Kate was going to be there, that might be a dealbreaker too.

Congrats to Ellen Pompeo. Here's hoping the baby weight helps her break that elusive 100-pound mark.

"Mel Gibson's lawyer has judge in divorce case replaced." New judge's name: Oksana.

Sarah Jessica Parker thinks pink... which reminds me - when I read that Madonna was injured riding a horse, I asked myself, "rehearsing for a role in a Catherine The Great biopic, perhaps?"

Maybe Amy Winehouse should call Rubina Ali's father and work out a deal. (Although one doubts that a nine-year-old would be interested in leaving the squalor of Mumbai's slums for more of the same at Amy's place.)

Posted by: byoolin1 | April 20, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"Upcoming unauthorized bio claims Paul Newman was an alcoholic, womanizer"

Common knowledge.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 20, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Lilo flirts with Leo, opening Chapter 3 of her Anne Heche Epiphany.

byoo, if Madge was rehearsing for Catherine the Great, it would have been the other way around. Altho she'd be perfect for the role.

Mr. Chan, the US has been dealing with the same conundrum for over 200 years. And we still seem to be of two minds about it.

Posted by: reddragon1 | April 20, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"Kim Kardashian's tan line"

Ok, can someone remind me, why is she famous?

Posted by: milesdy | April 20, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Amelia5 | April 20, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Jackie Chan
"If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

Owe, the humanity!

"Grey's Anatomy's" Ellen Pompeo expecting first child.

OMG, a celeb becoming pregnant after getting married, rather than before (or not at all). What's this world coming to?

Upcoming unauthorized bio claims Paul Newman was an alcoholic, womanizer.

Even people who do many good things in life can be imperfect in other ways, alas. Newman's good works still stand on their own merits, however.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 20, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

btw, if I get a camcorder and sneak onto Penelope Cruz's property, can I claim to be making a documentary too? td, you can be my soundman.

Posted by: reddragon1 | April 20, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone else think that picture of Hoff was Chevy Chase at first?

Joel McHale, be afraid. Be very afraid.

I was ready to consider becoming a martial arts expert so I could then go and teach Jackie how to use his freedom of speech (yeah right) but then I saw he was actually in China when he was speaking. Although he probably should have kept his mouth shut and said nothing, I know from experience how the Chinese government still frigten and bully former Chinese nationals when they return, and non-Chinese as well.
I was with a friend, former Chinese National, in Tianamen Square in Beijing, and as he was telling us what he knew of what happened on the day of the massacre, he abruptly changed the subject and started speaking about Peiking Duck. We were confused a bit until we realized we were being followed. It took us quite awhile to get rid of what he was convinced was a plain clothed police officer. Another story, another friend of mine (non-Chinese) who studied in Beiing in the 80s, was quarantined for monthes in what they called a hospital. They claimed he had infectious mono. Later, when his family with the help of our government got him home, he said he was never sick and he thinks it was due to his big mouth. He was definitely an activist. The massacre happened only months after he came home. So for that reason, I'll reserve judgement on Jackie unless he continues spouting these views when he is safely out of China.

Posted by: hodie | April 20, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Fascinating point, hodie. Thanks for illuminating the issue.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 20, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

"Hey, Madonna - remember how Guy's lack of sympathy over your last riding accident made you leave him? We're not sympathetic either, so please leave the US."

Oh Amelia, snap and double-snap! I bow to you.

Posted by: jaybbub | April 20, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Leo was just helpfully pointing out to LiLo that she got the Marilyn quote wrong on her tattoo.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 20, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Jackie Chan needs to be careful... They might think he wants to stay in China and refuse to let him leave.

I refuse to think ill of Paul Newman.

Instead of blaming the paps, maybe Madonna should consider riding lessons. From an actual instructor of equestrian technique, that is.

Posted by: memphis1 | April 20, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I am going to defend both Jackie Chan and Paul Newman.
Jackie was probably told to say what he did, and was threatened he would be arrested on some made up charge if he did not.
Paul lived a very long and healthy life. If we was an alcoholic there is no way he would have lived as long as he did and still been that healthy. Liver disease, pancreatic problems, etc., would have surfaced long before he died.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | April 20, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

SJP's getup must have been quite something, as it was blocked here at work. Hee hee.

Amen, Nosy. Ellen Pompeo and her husband sound ... refreshingly sane. As does the fabulous Julia Stiles.

And then we have LiLo. Doesn't she know Leo only dates models?

Posted by: Californian11 | April 20, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I am going to defend both Jackie Chan and Paul Newman.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | April 20, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Newman admitted the boozing.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 20, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to believe anything bad about Paul Newman. He was the sole person to make our unsnarkable list.

As for the selling his kid story, sorry, not buying the denial. Too explicit with his complaints about Hollywood didn't pay them tons of money. Sadly, many children are sold in India every day. Usually, it is matter of sacrificing one kid to save the others (no birth control so don't say don't have so many). It is not usually a case of a dad exploiting his kid this badly though. He's just greedy, not interested in protecting his family.

Posted by: epjd | April 20, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Paul Newman came from a different era. He had the studio system to hush any affairs that would have damaged his career and made sure he either was never out driving drunk or never got caught.

Then again, the studio owned you, too.
Perhaps Jackie Chan meant to say "Hollywood" instead of "China."

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 20, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: epjd | April 20, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

There was opposition to Newman's inclusion on the list; no one is unsnarkable.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 20, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Pink horseshoes with 4-inch heels! I guess if you live long enough, you do get to see everything.

Perhaps Newman's Own can come out with a new line of organic beauty products called, Newman's Own Womanizer."

As for comics, the reasons for my Pick of the Week will be obvious as soon as you see it:

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 20, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Not a fan, but much as I hate to admit it the Hoff looks pretty good. Saw him last week walking down Main Street in Santa Monica with (I think) his daughter (and he was carrying a cute little Yorkie ;-) and immediately said to myself that he was looking pretty damn good for his age--whatever work he's had done is pretty subtle up close in person.

Lilo flirting with Leo...BWAAAHHHAAAAAAAHAHA! Dream on you freak girl, he's WAY outta your league.

Madonna. Horses. I have no words.

It's such a shame we don't use the wonderful Britishism "prat", as in "he's such a prat" because it is such a pure aptonym for Spencer.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 20, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, that's a good one Sas! Frame that puppy!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 20, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorcers Cat, thanks much for the detailed postings (last Friday) about what does and does not work for a biography screenplay.I now realize that magnitude of difference between a story that can pretty well be told in 3 minutes (Susan Boyle) and a story that needs at least 90 minutes for the telling. There's nowhere near 90 minutes worth of material in the Susan Boyle story.

Interestingly, Ms. Snatchquatch didn't think there was 120 worth of material in Grey Gardens on HBO this past weekend. She turned off the set about halfway through the movie and said it was not very interesting. She didn't find Drew Barrymore's performance to be very impressive.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 20, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Madonna. Horses. I have no words.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 20, 2009

------------------------------------------

I do:

NEIGH!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 20, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Glad you liked the movie bio info Sas. I'll give you ten points if you can figure out who the subject was of my failed foray into contemporary biography ;-)

Missed Grey Gardens as we cancelled our movie channels in a big household expense cut a few months ago (I'm really good at churning my Netflix membership, so value for $ definitely went that way). I love Drew, but honestly really don't care about these women and have not understood why there have been SO many books, plays and now movies about them. Except maybe due to the explanation on Friday--they're nutty enough to be "extreme" as characters. But so what. JMO.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 20, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

------------

Sane? Julia Stiles? She's a Mets fan.

Posted by: pras40 | April 20, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Sane? Julia Stiles? She's a Mets fan.

Posted by: pras40 | April 20, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Better than being a Yankees fan!!!!
Cleveland Rocks!!

Posted by: hodie | April 20, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Newman admitted the boozing.
but did he ever say he was an alcoholic? much in print tht he enjoyed his beer, but no whiff of being AA material. he made many, many movies after the days of being w/a major studio so the argument the studio covered it up is weak. and i've never read he missed a day of filming due to drinking, etc. ditto w/the driving. he drove sports cars, for pete's sake, in real races.
i dislike this trashing of dead people, who on the whole, lived admirable lives. what he did or did not do with other women matters only to him and his wife, who stayed married to him. move on to someone alive, please.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 20, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Newman admitted the boozing.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 20, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

He had ALL of the classic signs of alcoholism. You are very naive.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 20, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Paul Newman admitted to this much in an interview with Nancy Griffin for the AARP Magazine in June 2005:

"But Newman's life has not been the fairy tale some people imagine. He admits that in his younger years he indulged in enough scotch and cigarettes to nearly kill him. (Today he drinks only Budweiser.) Then, in 1978, he lost his son, Scott, to an overdose of drugs and alcohol at a time when father and son were estranged. 'In the early part of my parenthood, I didn't pay the proper kind of attention,' he says. 'There were terrible, terrible misjudgments.'"

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 20, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Cat, I'm drawing a blank on your biography subject. Even did a couple of online searches. No luck. Meanwhile, the cosmic workplace sphincter has evacuated itself into my office.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 20, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

He had ALL of the classic signs of alcoholism. You are very naive.

***
something wrong w/being naive? better than than other things that pop to mind.

***
and in response to another writer, yes, in his early days he admitted that. his early days.
and my other point was he's dead. what's the deal about trampling over a dead person, esp. one who did a great deal of good?

Posted by: frieda406 | April 20, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Madge fell off a horse that was spooked when a pap jumped out of the bushes to take a picture? You're kidding me, with those thighs she's been sporting she couldn't hang on?

Posted by: jes11 | April 20, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jes11 | April 20, 2009 4:55 PM

--------------------------------------------
She couldn't hold onto Guy Ritchie, A-Rod or Jesus.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 20, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Sas, meanwhile WHAT?

S'okay, I probably didn't give quite enough clues on the biography subject. I am one of the many many writers in this town that have taken a crack at writing a screenplay about Rachel Carson and Silent Spring and the birth of the environmental movement. My guess is there are maybe 5 or 6 Carson projects at any given time in some stage of development and frankly it would take a miracle for anything other than a TV movie to get made, and even that is not a sure thing.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 20, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

This is a S*** Happens day at the office. At least I've got some billable work, so I'm thankful. Just difficult to get my head around some of the organizational hurdles that have been put in my way on the current project.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 20, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Poor baby cryptid. There, there...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 20, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Well, as you're buying at the Tiki bar, give yourself a double too...

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 20, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Poor baby cryptid. There, there...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 20, 2009 5:14 PM |

---------------------------------------------
Hey Nosy, I know where to find sympathy. It's in the dictionary, listed between Sh** and Syphillis.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 20, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow, they can't get a biography of Rachel Carson done????? Wow. I read everything you wrote last week. But Wow. If you can't get a biography of her done, I am amazed any biography gets done.

Posted by: epjd | April 20, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Sas

Poor furry baby, so bitter. Yo cryptid, carm down.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 20, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey ep--there are several problems with a Carson biopic in addition to the ones I mentioned on Friday. First, her estate is extremely litigious, so scripts based on "public domain" materials are going to have a problem. Getting the rights to either her work or biographies on her has been a tug of war between competing projects. And again, her personal life was just so small and full of tragedy it is a tremendous downer despite all she achieved. As I said, writers make for difficult film subjects unless they're, say, Hunter S. Thompson, you know? There's a fabulous documentary called Silent Spring narrated by Meryl Streep that is probably the best thing out there, if you're interested.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 20, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

***
i saw that years ago. years. fabulous documentary.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 21, 2009 1:54 AM | Report abuse