Posted at 8:10 AM ET, 04/ 8/2009

Madonna Donates to Quake Victims; LiLo Opens Up About Split

By Liz Kelly

Keanu Reeves arrives at the Hollywood premiere of 'Anvil! The Story of Anvil' on Tuesday evening. (AP)
Wednesday

Headlines: Madonna donates to Italian earthquake victims... Father of Madge's potential adoptee surfaces... Kal Penn leaves "House" for White House... Talbots sells out of dress worn by Michelle Obama on magazine cover; wax first lady unveiled at Madame Tussauds... Lindsay Lohan opens up about breakup... Hugh Jackman "heartbroken" about "Wolverine" leak... David Alan Grier eliminated from "Dancing with the Stars"... Jessica Simpson's Nashville career cut short?... Eminem mocks Simpson, Amy Winehouse, Bret Michaels in new video... Economic downturn forces Nicolas Cage to sell Bavarian Castle... Charlie Sheen's twin boy released from hospital.

Crime Watch: Anna Nicole Smith case arraignment postponed... Redmond O'Neal charged with heroin possession... Actor Jamie Waylett ("Harry Potter's" Vincent Crabbe) arrested for alleged drug possession.

Rumor Mill: Octo-mom Nadya Suleman's reality show to chronicle child-rearing, search for soulmate... Lindsay Lohan downed vodka on Monday night out, claim club-goers... Scarlett Johansson working with Gwyneth Paltrow's trainer?... Pamela Anderson headed to the altar again?

Say What?
"Marry someone you'd want to be divorced from." -- "Real Housewives of New York's" Jill Zarin on shares her secret for marital success.

By Liz Kelly  | April 8, 2009; 8:10 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kanye West's Sneak(er) Attack
Next: Drew Barrymore on the Brink?

Comments

Harold and Kumar go to the White House?

Eminem mocking Jessica Simpson, eh? Way to stay current and edgy there, Em.

Do we know yet what Network caved and stooped to giving Octomom a show yet? I'd like to get on my Boycott of said network and it's advertisers as soon as possible.

The first two comments were snark, the last one was serious.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 8, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

"Talbots sells out of dress worn by Michelle Obama on magazine cover"

Every time the Obama family farts, it makes the news. The dress is fuggggly.

"Octo-mom Nadya Suleman's reality show to chronicle child-rearing, search for soulmate"

Please stop shining the spotlight on this train wreck.

Liz,

What's the deal? Why do you focus so much on parenting stories? They are usually not appropriate targets for snark, so they don't belong on this blog.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 8, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Kal Penn! Dude! So much for that Kal Penn/Sean Penn remake of "Rain Man" I was secretly hoping for.

David Alan Grier is 53?! No way! But to me he'll always be Don "No Soul" Simmons. Apparently the DWTS voters felt the same way.

Anytime I see the word "wax" I cringe (cf. Jack Black, Ashton Kutcher). Fortunately we are talking about something else today (Shelley O at Madame Tussaud's).

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 8, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Keanu looks like he spent the night sleeping on an anvil. And what's up with the wizard hat?

Em, so nice to see that you're just as cutting-edge and current as anything else coming out of Detroit these days.

LiLo downs vodka, opens up about breakup - must be a slow news day in celebrity-land.

I like the Michelle Obama Talbots dress, but then again I'm a frump.

"Marry someone you'd want to be divorced from." Well, that's one way to plan ahead, I guess.

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Every time the Obama family farts, it makes the news.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 8, 2009 8:59 AM

Hey, Jez! Do you keep quoting this as part of some endorsement deal? Or are you looking to justify why u bought the shirt w/this quote on it still hanging in your closet?

Posted by: MrKPrez2U | April 8, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

"Wax first lady unveiled at Madame Tussauds" - can I have this one, Jezebel? Every time the Obama family melts, it will make the news.

Nicolas Cage to sell Bavarian Castle - that neat restaurant that sells those miniature strudels? What a shame - I love that place.

Aren't the words "Octo-mom" and "reality" mutually exclusive?

"Marry someone who, if they were to disappear, the cops wouldn't spend much time looking for." -- "Real Housewives of New York's" Jill Zarin's husband.

Posted by: byoolin1 | April 8, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

The entity known as J-Simp is in its death throes thank god. Maybe she'll get some kind of normal life.

Must say, jezebel3's consistent persistent disdain for O-news is puzzling.

Posted by: jelo | April 8, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"Every time the Obama family farts, it makes the news."

jez, we get it, you're Obama'd out, but can you at least come up with something newer, more clever. Just sayin'

Posted by: milesdy | April 8, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I have to imagine that the Obama family has farted *way* more than what is being reported in the news.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 8, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Re: the Obamas - what is poor Jezebel going to do once their vegetable garden comes in?

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

What happened to Keanu?!

VT-Definitely with you on the boycott!! I steer clear of any ocot stories. Sad sad sad situation. IMO.

LiLo, will the drama never end. Go buy a big piece of property somewhere and stay there before you have no money left. Take Ali with you. And your brother while your at it. I'm sure he'll start popping up in the tabs at some point.

Good lord Pam, stay away from the marriage. Doesn't seem to work for you.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | April 8, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 9:39 AM
-----------------------------------

For those of you that can't access. . .its the "famous" scene from Scanners.

Posted by: jelo | April 8, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Poor Hugh, I am here to comfort you, but only if Viggo is otherwise occupied...

Posted by: LTL1 | April 8, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Per Michelle Obama -

Like it or not Jez, she's a celebrity. As for her fashion choices - I don't know if her style is quite raised to the level of Jackie Kennedy's, but she is young, attractive, fabulously groomed and has a sense of what she likes to wear (as opposed to the endless generic suits worn by Laura Bush, Barbara Bush, even Hillary Clinton).

Mrs. Obama wears clothes that other 40 somethings with a little taste and money would actually wear. Hence her popularity, and that of the clothes. This is not the DaVinci Code, it's sociology.

Per Octomom:

STOP. GIVING. THIS. WOMAN. PRESS. ATTENTION.

Per Scarlett:

Men fell in love with you because you were a "Lemon Tart", not a "Social X-ray". Tone up for the Iron Man movie, and then once it's safely in theaters, go back to your lovely curves. Because there's not *that* much to your acting talent - you have some, but mostly, you are marvelously photogenic.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | April 8, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 8, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

jez, I think referring to anything octomom related as a 'parenting' story is a bit of a stretch. I think Nadya is the perfect target for the beginning snarker. Noone should start w/anal cancer or dead aviator progeny.

Posted by: jes11 | April 8, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

This is advice Pam Anderson has never taken.

Still, a Heatherette wedding dress could be quite....well...

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 8, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

jez doesn't want any blog posts on the obamas, on octo-mom...

is it them as celebrities you object to? or is it.....

the letter O?

and if that's the case, then what about oprah? ozzie osbourne?

Posted by: memphis1 | April 8, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Her work out pants almost show her "stuff." Plus, her body remindes me of a short Ken doll.

Posted by: supersonic1 | April 8, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Liz,

If you insist on mentioning O-mom (or is someone forcing you?) in your blog, I have to suggect the following: for each O-mom mention you have to give Andy a treat. At the current rate, he'll be the fattest cat in the world.

Please. No more stories on O-mom. Judging from the other posters, I'm not alone in this request.

Posted by: Section416akatheAlps | April 8, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"Okay, after looking at the pic of Gwennie and her trainer does anyone else not want to be trained by her?"

Posted by: supersonic1

supersonic1, I believe our very own Queen Liz has attested to the Tracy Anderson method.

Posted by: milesdy | April 8, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps if we ignore certain posters, they will go away? While I do miss epjd (and hope she returns), at least she had the good sense to voice her concern about Obama stories and then, well, stop voicing it repeatedly (unlike someone else who just seems to like fanning her own sad little flame; just sayin').

Seeing "Amy Winehouse, Bret Michaels in new video" got my hopes up -- was hoping for "Every Rehab Has Its Thorn" kinda mashup -- but then I read the previous line. Bummer.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 8, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Keanu Reeves is starring in "Anvil! The Story of Anvil!"

He looks more like he should be starring in "Coyote! The Story of Wily E. Coyote."

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 8, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Can't see Michelle O's dress due to IT nazis, but let me guess....a sleeveless shift!

Jez, I think a more accurate quote would be " Everytime Lilo farts, she twitters and it makes the news". Really, could she "open up" any more?

Ok all you single guys who are not afraid of diapers, who want to rear 14 kids with a psycho-Angelina-wannabe in front of America, now's your chance. Anyone?

Posted by: hodie | April 8, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone here suggested that Octo-mom move in with Madonna?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | April 8, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Are you sure that photo is really Keanu Reeves. It looks like a homeless person.

Posted by: buffysummers | April 8, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

lol - from the Hugh Jackman article 'the film was downloaded an estimated 100,000 times'... no. i saw 120k seeds on ONE site on ONE day - with another 220k downloading (and that was on public trackers). This thing easily went out to a million folks (no i wasnt one of em).

So if 100k makes him sad, 1m will make him nigh despondent. Now's your chance LTL1...

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 8, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Re: Jackman - I've heard from a friend who's "one in a million" (thanks Quintilius) that the flick is great. So here's hoping the illegal downloaders a) get viruses, and b) decide to see it on the big screen.

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

all the parts in a torrent get checksummed - there's no stuffing a virus into them (and with everyone seeding the same file there's not an opportunity for someone nasty to get something ugly into the middle of it). I was discussing this event with one of my hollywood friends the other day - the real problem is that the studios really actually have no idea how this technology works. You would think after seeing AT&T longlines destroyed by flat rate long distance services that someone might say 'we need to get in front of this' - but it's easier to push the problem out to the next guy (current banking crisis anyone?) I've got my popcorn out - watching these industry giants destroyed by '12 yr old johnny in his garage with an encoder' is going to be better entertainment than any film hollywood has made in a long time.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 8, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

The dress is fuggggly.
***
in your humble opinion. i would respectfully disagree. i like the way michelle obama dresses. it's fresh, interesting and frequently priced reasonably. she has a good eye and probably had/has good teachers who helped develop that good eye. in addition, she's intelligent, attactive, a good mother, spouse and all around excellent representative for our country.
and as to the content of the column, people snark about everything. not much is off limits. so maybe if you don't like it, go somewhere else and play.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 8, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

p.s. saw no mention in today's column of the delicious news that kate moss wants to write a kosher cookbook. says she'll be the first model to write a cookbook. tears of laughter running down my face.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 8, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps if we ignore certain posters, they will go away
***
no, td, they won't.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 8, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hodie | April 8, 2009
========
You forgot the cardigan.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 8, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frieda406 | April 8, 2009 11:33 AM
===============
Save those tears. That's how you season the cup of broth that goes with the spoonful of poached chicken and all the asparagus you can eat. Crumple your postage stamp-sized matzoh and finish with a slice of apple.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 8, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frieda406

frieda, I'm afraid you're a day late, it was in yesterday's Morning Mix.

Posted by: milesdy | April 8, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

So, Kate Moss, how much blow does one have to do to counteract a serving of liver and onions fried in schmaltz?

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Noone should start w/anal cancer or dead aviator progeny.
Posted by: jes11
___
New keyboard please...:)

***

Posted by: mdreader01

___
Good Lord! Another new keyboard please...
My IT department is going to be so mad at me!

***
Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 8, 2009 11:27 AM
___
Um, what? Dude, are you on the wrong blog?

Posted by: VaLGaL | April 8, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Chasmo
This is not the DaVinci Code, it's sociology.

SPLOOT! Thanks, Chasmo, I needed that.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 8, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

VaLGaL, no, he was responding to me. Paraphrasing, his post says: Idiot - you can't get a computer virus by downloading from BitTorrent. But since Hollywood doesn't understand how internet technology can be made to work for them and can't be bothered to learn, they're going to get run over by people who do understand how to make it work. (He compares it to long distance telecommunications, but I'd compare it to the recording industry.) Pass the popcorn, this one's gonna be good.

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm against DLing the new Wolverine flick. I mean really, how could my teeny puter screen or even the largest of flatscreen TVs show me the true glory that is Hugh Jackman's nekkid, well-toned butt in action? :-)

Hugh Jackman was MEANT to be seen on a big theatre screen, whether clothed or unclothed.

Posted by: wadejg | April 8, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

lol - you can get a virus from a bittorrent - but only if the virus is in the original file... (usually there's a comment to that effect on the public tracker sites - something like 'TROJAN IN HERE' or 'THIS ISNT REALLY THE FILE IT PURPORTS TO BE' - posted by the brave first downloaders who scan the things)

as to your other point - it is a lot like the recording industry - in that when broadband penetration rates were low people were trading files that were small (mp3s in the 3-5mb range) vs movies (more in the 400-700mb range) - and the film industry had plenty of time to see where this was going... but they went for DRM as the answer. When 2 guys cracked the mpaa encryption key (and posted that famous F9-09-11 post) they proved that 2 guys in a garage can easily subvert a billion dollars worth of research and effort. It should have been obvious to anyone involved this was going to happen. The transport cost of information has approached 0 - so the original value of that information (even if high) multiplied by the transport cost still ends up at 0.

Yes - this is a big deal - it will hurt the industry as we see it today - but there are ways to make the model viable - if only the industry were paying attn.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 8, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Octomom is just beneath contempt. Some nutball who uses IVF to produce 14 kids is a poster child for what NOT to do; those poor kids, getting a nutball lunatic of a mother and probably some equally crazy man in their household pretty soon, through no fault of their own.

Now a reality show about locking up the doctor who did the IVF on her ... that might be worth seeing.

Whoa, I second the comments on Gwynnie's trainer. That is one scary ... person. Can't really tell which gender, nor can I tell how those pants stay up. And speaking of masculine, is turning Madonna in to the scary bag of man-like veininess really something to brag about? I'm going to have nightmares about those arms ... YUCK.

Posted by: Californian11 | April 8, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I suspect Pam is trying to beat Elizabeth Taylor for most marriages.

Dang it, VTDuffman beat me to it. I wonder if they're going to take the wonderful Neil Patrick Harris with them.

Lilo needs a cup of tea and some time in the psych couch. She also needs to stay away from her toxic family. I heard mom already had her in a club.

Keanu sweetie, you should shower before leaving the house. Just rolling over and walking out is not good.

Wait, the Obama's farted. I didn't read about that. What publication is that in?

Posted by: petalceleb | April 8, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Hodie, not just a sleeve-less shift but also a cardigan! I'm guessin', having not really seen it either.

Posted by: BigAlinMD | April 8, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Quintilius, like I said, I'm an idiot. I do understand that companies whose business is impacted by technology need to keep up or die, I'm just not great on the specifics of the technology. Thank God I'm in academia where I can't do any damage. :)

All tech issues aside, I totally, 100% agree with Wadejg.

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Note to Free-Ranger B'More Cat and Asparagus Lover

I like to serve "spider-grass" buttered and topped with fresh-squoze lemon juice (not as rich as Hollandaise, but slightly evocative).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 8, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I put piracy on damn near the same level as plagerism. Lost revenues = lost residuals for the writer (and everyone else, but I'm mostly concerned with my colleagues). It's theft, plain and simple, and it affects a lot more people than just a corporation.

Nosy, I mix butter, lemon juice and a dash of oregano for my asparagus ;-)

Keanu looks like a beatnik after a thick night. But then, he ALWAYS looks like a beatnik after a thick night. Sounds like one too. Never understood the appeal.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 8, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I was going to guess that Keanu was getting into character for "Joaquim Phoenix: The Movie." Someone hand that man a pair of sunglasses.

If you think about it, farting doesn't make for good print news. You at least need audio.

Posted by: trichobezoar | April 8, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Does talking about farting make for good print news? There's an actor I adore who's on record several times saying he thinks farting before performing is an essential "clearing out" before going on. Cracks me up.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 8, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Dear ScarJo, if you continue to lose your beautiful curves, Producer Paul will leave you for another celebrity love, like Beyonce.

Who would train with Tracy Anderson? Well, I hear that LiLo is out on the street without a gal pal.

Here Hugh sits, broken hearted. His movie's $h!t and the Obamas farted.

Seriously, Power to the Pirates! The MPA has seen the demise of the RIAA's business model, yet stands there, scatching its collective crotch, saying "My DRM and my lawyers will protect me." Then again, Hollywood types never had much use for history, aside as settings for costume epics. If they bothered to read history, they would know that DRM was discredited during the 1980s when cracked versions of all manner of software were passed around the office.

If you want to see my sympathy for Hollywood's business model, you'll have to find yourself a first rate electron microscope.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 8, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

oooh, that clip on the hugh jackman link has him nekkid--yummilicious.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 8, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

All tech issues aside, I totally, 100% agree with Wadejg.

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 1:50 PM
==
Note to Free-Ranger B'More Cat and Asparagus Lover

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 8, 2009 2:20 PM
================

I would put lemon juice on both my computer viruses and my asparagus, but it makes my fart and I'm afraid of offending jezabel3. Although I suppose she would only be offended if I got media coverage for it. While wearing a cardigan and caring for my dozens of IVF children.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 8, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

And, for the record, let it be noted that I have NEVER participated in any piracy of any music, movie or video.

The movie industry is going down the same toilet as the newspaper industry. The difference is that, unlike newspaper executives, MPA executives don't realize that the chain has already been pulled and that they're spiraling down the hole.

They need a new business model. However, the Powers That Be are too wedded to their economic leverage and lavish lifestyles to admit that their days are numbered.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 8, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

If you want to see Hugh Jackman's, ScarJo's, Beyonce's, or anyone else's ass-ets on a big screen, get yourself one of these:

and a Netflix subsctription. You're good to go.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 8, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

of course everyone is turning on poor lil lindsey- that's what happens when you're coked up and dillusional. glad sam ronson woke up from that nightmare and called it quits.

Not the biggest ScarJo fan but she was so cute in her prior pic as opposed to the "veering too close to thin" goth-look that she's now created for herself.

Posted by: plamar1031 | April 8, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Sorcerer's Cat, I agree that it's theft. "Content" producers deserve to be paid for their work. That's why I wished bad things and a desire to fork over $$ to see it on the big screen upon all those who downloaded illegally. But also the studios need a new business model that works with technology, or they're gonna get flattened. Expecting DMR and intellectual property law to sustain the current/old business model is magical thinking.

Posted by: northgs | April 8, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, you guys gleefully awaiting the downfall of the studios due to their lack of tech savvy are basically cheering me on to unemployment, so have a little heart!" sorcerers_cat

i did say i had a bucket of popcorn... and sure, rubbernecking the trainwreck is a little rude, but then, this is celebritology - we do a lot of that around here ;)

the right sort of model will come out of this eventually... people will be happy to pay to see movies and buy digital versions - but there will be some adjustment to costs and a lot of media executive/middlemen and retail channels will evaporate... eventually (just waiting on blockbuster). In the mean time there's still plenty of money for A&R guys to buy lots of cocaine (you should have seen SXSW) - so it'll take a couple more years for things to really fall apart (if they dont figure it out)...

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 8, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I agree the business model has to change, but there's no way I'm going to cheer on the pirates. Bad enough having my work stolen before it gets made, having it stolen after is NOT a compliment, it's money out of my pocket.

Believe me, the system as it currently stands is hugely aggravating. Most studio execs are business majors or lawyers, and they all desperately want to keep their parking space which means they only greenlight safe projects, ie, tentpole, comic book, established "star" directors and writers, etc. with extremely rare exceptions. The indie world is crashing along with the economy so that's not a great route to go anymore either.

okay. now i'm depressed.

Gwynnie's trainer looks like a fire hydrant. Yuck. Wouldn't train with her for free.

Whoever works out Hugh Jackman, on the other hand--just wow!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 8, 2009 2:41 PM
=====================
Wait...if everyone resorts to illegally downloading movies, then where will we go on dates? Will all our kids end up like Bristol Palin, hanging out with boyfriends in their room, with the romantic glow of the computer screen...

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 8, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, I needed a little fluff break, so I read that article about LiLo "opening up" ... dang, these people all seem to have the emotional maturity of a junior high school girl clique. LiLo just comes off sounding totally pathetic, and it's quite a feat to make cokehead DJ SamRo look like the sane one. LiLo back staying in the Chateau Marmont with her mother and sister? Nice. Nicole Richie and Drea De Matteo walking by her and making little snide comments? Junior high school!

Sheesh.

Posted by: Californian11 | April 8, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Hermespal, I hear where you're coming from. However, the Powers That Be in the MPA care as much about your ability to earn fair compensation for your work as the Powers That Be in other industries care about their employees and consultants. They'll marginalize us as much and as often as they can. it's nothing personal. It's just business.

Meanwhile, movie stars like Nicholas cage get squeezed so hard that they have to give up one of their many villas. Poor babies. People like we Lizards don't register on their radar. And they wonder why we snark.....

As it is, at least one of our illustrious Lizards has been pink-slipped, and there are Lizards like me who are wondering when we are going to get called into the boss' office and told, "It's nothing personal. It's just business." And that's in addition to Ms. Snatchquatch having been out of work for several months after getting pink-slipped just before Thanksgiving. Life is just effin' lovely around here.

If you think it's bad out there in Hollywood, you don't want to know what's going on in the offices of Lockheed-Martin, Northop-Grumman, Boeing and other federal contractors after SecDef Gates' press conference yesterday.

It's official: the Recession has hit the fan in and around the Beltway.

Forget about popcorn. Buddy, can you spare a dime?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | April 8, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid you're a day late, it was in yesterday's Morning Mix.
***
and here i thought i was so alert. sigh. once one hits age 50, reflexs slow from thought to action. sorry to be repeating a story....

Posted by: frieda406 | April 8, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear that, sas. I think that's why I enjoy my celeb snark. We all need a distraction from the constant negative news about the economy, and our friends and family losing their jobs. I don't know a single person who hasn't been affected by this recession. :-(

Posted by: Californian11 | April 8, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 8, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

****

Surely you've heard the one about the guy who goes into a talent agent's office.

Agent says, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, what is it you do?"

The guy says, "I can fart The Star Spangled Banner."

The agent rolls his eyes. "Look, I'm very busy here. I don't have time for this."

"Please, mister," the guy says, "I can do this, and all I really need is for someone to give me a break."

"Alright," says the agent. "You got thirty seconds."

So the guy gets up on the agent's desk and pulls down his pants. And he starts crapping on everything - all over the desk, the agent, his papers, the phone, the walls, the curtains, the furni-

"HEY! HEY! HEY!" screams the agent. "WHAT IN GOD'S NAME DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!?!?!?!"

"Well," says the guy, "I gotta clear my throat first."

Posted by: byoolin1 | April 8, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse