Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 04/24/2009

Susan Boyle's Wins Again, Terrence Howard Digs Himself Deeper -- This Week's Winners & Losers

By Liz Kelly

A new semi-regular feature in which we hand out accolades and, umm, the opposite of accolades to the celebrities who made this week memorable.

Winners

Boyle outside her home in Blackburn, Scotland on Friday. (AP)

Susan Boyle
For going ahead with a mini-makeover (hair dye, eyebrow wax and heels) despite critics who say she's in danger of being Hollywood-ized. It's her body, let her do what she wants with it.

Jorge Garcia
Not only is he a founding cast member of arguably the coolest show on TV, he's unapologetically crafty. In this video from "The Bonnie Hunt Show," Garcia shares his DIY Halloween costumes (bonus points for incorporating a toilet seat in a non-gross way) and talks about his passion for vegetable gardening.

Gwyneth Paltrow
Bear with me. In another example of how I am slowly succumbing to Paltrow's brainwashing, this week I tried Paltrow's recipe for a sweet potato lentil salad (scroll down) and have to label it one of the best uses of lentils ever.

---

Losers

Jackie Chan
Although his rep says Chan's comments were taken out of context, I'm not sure there's a positive spin for suggesting that the Chinese people may not be able to handle freedom:

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not. I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

Terrence Howard
Someone shut this guy up. Continued whining about being low-balled out of "Iron Man 2" won't endear him to the industry. And speaking for oneself is fine, but I doubt former co-star Gwyneth Paltrow wants you invoking her name in this rant. (This isn't even to mention your creative uses for human waste.)

Joan Rivers
What hath thou wrought?

(Getty Images)

By Liz Kelly  | April 24, 2009; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Winners & Losers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jay Leno Hospitalized; Madonna and Jesus, Together Again?
Next: 'Lost's' Henry Ian Cusick Charged with Sexual Harrassment; Madonna Named Hardest Working Showbiz Mom

Comments

As long as Susan Boyle doesn't go the Joan Rivers route on makeovers, she should do just fine.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I second that emotion on Susan Boyle's makeover. She looks quite nice.

RE: Joan Rivers...I was watching a rerun of Without a Trace and they showed a dead body who had been beaten and whose features were disfigured and bloated. It looked like Joan.

Winners:
Beyonce--the hoax of her bad singing is great publicity.

Loser:
Lindsay Lohan, again, for her pathetic turn on Ellen. Please someone who claims to love her, get her some help.

Posted by: pras40 | April 24, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Did Joan have a face transplant?

Posted by: northgs | April 24, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

So over Terrence Howard. He is waaaay overrated and not the brightest bulb on the tree.

Posted by: hpDC | April 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is Susan Boyle starting to look like Mrs. Doubtfire's younger sister? Dude looks like a lady indeed.

Posted by: jes11 | April 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I think part of the problem with Lindsay Lohan is that the people who claim they love her love themselves and the publicity she brings more.

If she were out of the spotlight, what would they do for attention.

Posted by: mcleve | April 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Loser: Rob Blagojevich, when a judge rules that he cannot go to Costa Rica to participate in a reality TV show.

Winners: TV viewers everywhere.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 24, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Loser: Madonna, who fell off a horse in the Hamptons last week.

Winner #1: The horse, who successfully extricated the annoyance on his or her back.

Winner #2: The New York paparazzo who was falsely accused of snapping the shot that spooked the horse. He did manage to sell the shot of Madonna on her keister with the relieved horse looking on.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 24, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Loser: "Life According to Jim" which dropped from ABC's 2010 line up.

Winner: TV viewers everywhere.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

was i the only one who thought katherine helmond in brazil?

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | April 24, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

RE: Susan Boyle. I will admit I'm a fan, but when they made her over, who made the decision to photgraph her in front of an old shack and a trash can? Can't they put her in front of something a little nicer?

Like a bowl of sweet potato lentil salad perhaps?

Posted by: Osteph | April 24, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh wait, just read the caption. Sorry Susan, didn't realize that was your home. I am going to hell now.

Posted by: Osteph | April 24, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"Joan Rivers
What hath thou wrought"

Liz, yesterday was 'Talk Like Shakespeare Day', I can't believe you missed it.

Posted by: milesdy | April 24, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Still no word on Boyle's source of income for the 20 years she did not work? Parents? Inheritance? The dole? What was her occupation when she did work?

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 24, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I second that emotion on Susan Boyle's makeover. She looks quite nice.
Posted by: pras40

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Quite NICE? Are you blind? A makeover won’t help that mutt anymore than putting lipstick on a pig.

Posted by: russ_broadway | April 24, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

russ, I believe you mean a pitbull.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 24, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think Ms. Boyle looks nice. It just enhanced what was there without really changing anything. I think she got new glasses too.

Losers: Lindsey Lohan

Winner: Her publicist. She will always have a job defending her latest stunts.

Posted by: epjd | April 24, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Loser: Michael Jackson
On top of mismanaging his own fortune and having to sell Neverland and contents, having bad plastic surgery, he has to go to the hospital again for some unknown reason. On top of that, he has to leave the hospital via the back door where he has been waiting for his nutcase driver for at least 10 minutes, who arrives in such a panic he does not stop when he sideswipes a parked ambulance. Hell no, he's not stopping, the King of Pop is waiting. Talk about worst week ever!

Winner: the lucky buyer who gets to take that neato Camelot throne home.

Posted by: hodie | April 24, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Susan Boyle looks great- still very much like herself, but presented in a way that lets her assets shine. Thumbs up!

Terrence Howard continues to do a great service to us all by issuing insane quotes. Popcorn for all!

And I still think Paltrow needs to take herself much less seriously. But those roasted tomaters do look good.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | April 24, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: russ_broadway | April 24, 2009 12:36 PM
============
Au contraire. I am amazed at the power of a good eyebrow plucking, which, to recap, I had previously said took Susan from John Lithgow to Julia Child.

Well, I stand corrected. A good foundation, lipstick and hair color have taken her from Julia Child to my high school history teacher, Sr. Colleen.

Had she chosen to go blond, I would have said Senator Claire McCaskell.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 24, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Had she chosen to go blond, I would have said Senator Claire McCaskell.

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 24, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

yes, but if she does that and wears too much make-up and dresses in a brightly colored dresses with a bow in her hair, she'll look just like Mimi from the Drew Carrey show. Stop now, Susan, you look good.

Posted by: hodie | April 24, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Gwynnie, your fuzzy match has my brain to GOOP! First you say

"Four of these beautiful antipasti can be served at room temperature, which almost eliminates the stress of cooking for friends"

Then, I have to boil artichokes for #1, slow roast tomatoes for #2, grill zucchini "slowly on a not-too-hot grill, rather than just char them quickly" for #3, roast sweet potatoes and boil lentils for #4 and grill bread over a medium flame, which you remind me to keep on for the zucchini in #2.

Or was that vice versa? I'm stressing out just thinking about this menu!

Also, I like how she says that artichokes have a "unique taste." This is also known to many of us as "yucky."

Posted by: mdreader01 | April 24, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

mdreader01, may I please have your artichoke ration on Lizard Island? 'Tis the season...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 24, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Post-makeover Boyle kinda reminds me of Hyacinth Bucket..

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 24, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, would you mind sharing that unwanted artichoke ration? One of my favorite things, yum. Also, one of those foods I look at and think back to whatever indian tribe or whatever first looked at this overgrown thistle and thought to themselves, "there's got to be some way to eat that"...

How do you like 'em? If you like them with melted butter, try sprinkling a little bit of Spice Islands Beau Monde in the butter. Else dip in a remoulade of mayo, dijon and lemon juice, which is my current fave. ;-)

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | April 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

That's Buck-ay, jezebel3!

Nosy, you can have my artichokes, too.

Posted by: 7900rmc | April 24, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Nosy, you might have to fight me for it. :) Artichokes are my #1 favorite veggie.

I'm guessing Jacko went into the hospital because his face is falling off. Why else would he wear a surgical mask?

"Did Joan have a face transplant?" -- If so, she should ask for a refund. It obviously didn't take.

Posted by: Californian11 | April 24, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Hyacinth Bucket ("Boo-kay") would NEVER wear pants!

Posted by: Arlington3 | April 24, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

That's Buck-ay, jezebel3!

Nosy, you can have my artichokes, too.

Posted by: 7900rmc | April 24, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm also tossing the sweet potatoes - yuck! - and the lentils - disgusting mess! - in the dog's dish.!

Hyacinth Bucket ("Boo-kay") wore pants in at least one episode.

Posted by: jezebel3 | April 24, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, does anyone know if Hyacinth set out artichoke forks, or some comparable implement (if such a thing even exists!), at her famous Candlelight Suppers or Riverside Picnics with Riparian Entertainments?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 24, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Ack! Meant to post the following on this page, not the morning mix.

Readers' poll results on Susan Boyle's makeover:
Love it - she looks great! 80%
Hate it - she should have stayed the same. 9%
Don't care. So over her. 11%

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 24, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

bizarro how joan was able to make all of her face look younger except her mouth.... her mouth tells her age pretty well....

Posted by: memphis1 | April 24, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

****
of course, she did, while her sister w/a pony and bruce were frolicking about.

Posted by: frieda406 | April 24, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

If memory serves, sister Violet had a husband, a Mercedes, a sauna, but did not actually have a pony, merely space enough for one. Oooh, Frieda, we said "pony"!

(Hugs to Frankie the hospice dog).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 24, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Recently I found a hot club -- SeekingTall . c o m -- just for sexy tall gals and guys to find their cupid. Come on, tall singles. Don't miss your love.

Posted by: salawhite08 | April 25, 2009 3:38 AM | Report abuse

Let's be grateful Joan Rivers was available to take Heath Ledger's place for the Dark Night re-shoots.

Posted by: MStreet1 | April 25, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Susan Boyle looks good.

Posted by: KateSaunders | April 25, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

RIP Bea Arthur.

Losers: The rest of us.

Posted by: northgs | April 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Yes, northgs, you're so right. Bea was Yente in "Fiddler on the Roof," best friend Vera Charles to Angela Lansbury's (and, alas, Lucille Ball's) "Mame," and had gotten her big break as Lucy Brown in "The Threepenny Opera" (starring no less an icon than Weill's widow Lotte Lenya). Her TV career, which made her famous, didn't really start till she was 50.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | April 25, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

That's not Joan Rivers. Who snuck into the wax museum to thake this photo!?!

Posted by: cfow1 | April 27, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse