Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 05/19/2009

Are Paris Hilton's 15 Minutes Up?

By Liz Kelly

Have you seen this woman? Paris Hilton at Cannes on Monday. (Getty Images)

Is the woman for whom the term "celebutante" was coined, like, no longer the content rich target from which paparazzi careers are made?

In the world of celebrity, bad behavior (which can mean anything from acting like this around your kids to an allegedly wind-aided wardrobe malfunction) builds buzz. And, of late, Paris has been less buzz, more zzzz.

Since we tend to forget easily in the fast-paced world of celebrity snarking, let me remind you all of the bad (good?) reasons why we paid attention to Paris at all.

First there was the sex tape as path to stardom play (later adopted successfully by Kim Kardashian and unsuccessfully by Dustin "Screech" Diamond). Then, the reality show. Then the Nicole Ritchie feud, the Lindsay Lohan feud, the catchphrase ("that's hot"), the regrettable album, the whole jail thing followed by one of the least illuminating "Larry King Live" episodes ever (and that's saying a lot) and, significantly, Paris was also the first celeb to have her own category here at Celebritology.

But what has she done for us lately? Her reality show, "My New BFF," hardly moved the needle in a TV lineup saturated with the genre she once pioneered (but that hasn't stopped VH1 from ordering up season 2). And despite a tendency to have a few loud friends over from time to time, she seems to have settled into domesticated routine with boyfriend Doug Reinhart -- a guy so achingly boring he probably hasn't even suggested a sex tape and, let's face it, he's just another minor reality show star. Perhaps most telling of all, though -- she's been spotted hanging out at the Kennedy Center.

Paris has fallen off our radar while one-time contemporaries like Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears -- who once worked overtime to match her exploits-- have kept themselves relevant by taking their messy sort-of break-ups way public and lip-synching one's way through a world tour. Meanwhile a new crop of potential tabloid princesses (Miley Cyrus, I'm talking to you) continues to claw its way up the paparazzi pay scale.

I'm conflicted. Do I hope for a return of the dizzy party girl or should I be happy that she's managed to find a relative level of stability at the advanced age of 28)? What say you?

By Liz Kelly  | May 19, 2009; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Paris Hilton
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Penelope Cruz Recovering from Food Poisoning; Lisa Rinna Comes Clean About Lips
Next: Sarah Jessica Parker Says Surrogate Threatened; Rep Debunks Swayze Death Rumor

Comments

"Are Paris Hilton's 15 Minutes Up?" posted at 10:42.

First comment posted at 11:18.

Q.E.D.

Posted by: byoolin1 | May 19, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

LieLow is relevant?

Posted by: kabuki3 | May 19, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Your lips to God's ear, as the saying goes.

Posted by: jes11 | May 19, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

What jes said.

I would also add that I am incredibly disturbed by the fact that Paris's legs are the same color as the carpet she's standing on in that photo. Ew.

Posted by: ASinMoCo | May 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Is Paris Hilton done?

Not until Doug Reinhart comes.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 19, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

what byoolin said.

Posted by: pras40 | May 19, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I hate Paris in the springtime.
I hate Paris in the fall.
I hate Paris in the winter when it breezes.
I hate Paris with the swine flu, when she sneezes.

I hate Paris in the autumn.
I hate Paris in the spring.
I hate Paris in the summer when it sizzles
I hate Paris when her latest project fizzles...

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 19, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

If Paris Hilton fell off the face of the earth, the only people who would worry are the astronauts who would have to avoid her space junk.

Posted by: epjd | May 19, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

It would be wonderful if she would fade out and become a footnote in pop culture history.

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | May 19, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

WHAT color is she?! Is radioactive the new black?

Posted by: Californian11 | May 19, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Well, she's obviously going the extra mile to try to stay relevant . . . I mean an ensemble made out of flexible air ducts and tin foil, that's effort.

Posted by: 44west | May 19, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

She looks like Olive Oyl with those giant feet of hers.

Posted by: wadejg | May 19, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I'd say she's jumped the shark, but given how she came to our attention in the first place, that's probably not a good visual. Or maybe it is.

As Liz points out, there's a whole new group of publicly ditzy starlets to consider, but none of them is an rich as Paris, and therefore cannot foist their ditziness on the rest of us with either the breadth or the consistency that Paris has.

It is remotely possible that maturity has set in to a certain extent. That may not turn out to be the best career move for her, although it is better for her personally.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 19, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

PS If she really has matured, all that tinfoil won't keep her fresh.

Posted by: reddragon1 | May 19, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Ditto to pretty much everyone's comments. What in the world is she wearing? The head thing, the giant bow, the bad hair, the funny skin color. Wow, just, wow.

Liz, I think you should be happy she's found some sort of stability and is no longer dominating the celeb head lines. Part of the fun is that they eventually fade away and someone new and more disturbed fills the void!! Miley anyone?!

Posted by: Vienna8425 | May 19, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Just a prediction (but please don't shoot the messenger): Paris Hilton will be around forever on the society party scene, at trendy restaurants and boites, sitting in the front row alongside the catwalk at fashion shows, etc., just because her name and money are Hilton. I can envision her in X number of years, following innumerable cosmetic procedures (Lizards, start stockpiling on brain bleach now).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 19, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Dress appears to be made of a metallic lace fabric, partially lined (although not enough).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 19, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Who?

Posted by: LNER4472 | May 19, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, Nosy is correct. We'll never truly be rid of Paris Hilton. It's a shame, really, I've so enjoyed her lack of visibility.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | May 19, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

It's time to take Paris out of the oven. She's nicely browned and the breast meat will be moist thanks to the strategic placement of foil.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 19, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

She does look like a well-roasted ,stringy Cornish game hen in a tiara (she's a princess, ya know.) I mean, has anyone stayed in a Hilton lately? And she probably had all her money in some weird hedge fund that's gone belly-up so possibly she's not an heiress at all anymore but a highly paid prostitute, which is what she looks like anyway.

Posted by: possum_pouch | May 19, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Did Paris pay the press to never mention her lazy eye? How come no one ever mentions this?

Posted by: Trumance1 | May 19, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

possum
I mean, has anyone stayed in a Hilton lately?

Lotsa guys.

Oh, Possum, you just brightened my afternoon. Thanks!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 19, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

LOL, Trumance1!! I have always wondered this too! Just like Teri Hatcher's uneven eyes and crooked nostrils, which she didn't have on her Seinfeld guest appearances so I'm guessing are a result of cosmetic surgery.

Posted by: Californian11 | May 19, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse