Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 05/21/2009

Darn You Gwyneth Paltrow -- I Like GOOP

By Liz Kelly

GOOP guru Gwyneth Paltrow. (AP)

I have a confession. A confession that may brand me as a flip-flopper of the highest order, a woman who isn't able to stick to her snark or, worst of all, a victim of star dazzling.

So here it is: I like Gwyneth Paltrow's insouciant little weekly lifestyle newsletter GOOP.

After months of resistance and several hundred words expended in derision of said site, I have arrived at the undeniable conclusion that GOOP has improved my life. Yes, as much as it aggrieves me to admit, my "inner aspect" has been nourished.

That felt really good.

Gwyneth has been taken to task by everyone from, well, me to the New York Times for her allegedly vain attempt to impose her privileged life lessons on the rest of us poor saps. And she did have some early missteps -- for instance, the time she recommended Tod's boots as an affordable wardrobe staple and that whole thing about toxic shampoo.

But despite my early derision, I kept reading GOOP to, you know, find more to deride. That's how it started. I found myself surprised by a recipe (Lentil & Sweet Potato Salad) that looked yummy, healthy and easy and, on making it, found it to be absolutely so. Then there was the introduction to Gwyneth's trainer, Tracey Anderson, whose mat exercise DVD I now use four times a week. And so I can no longer in good conscience continue to spew vitriol at a woman from whom I've reaped a fair amount of benefit.

Surely you can join me in forgiving Gwynnie her newbie mistakes? Now that the dust has settled and she's has gotten into a groove with her weekly missive, it's nothing if not an unassuming and often genuinely helpful weekly digest. Not only that, but GOOP reveals to us the real Gwyneth -- the warm, conversational tone of the newsletters contrasts sharply with her long-time public image of an untouchable self-important poseur.

And, as celebrity Internet participation goes, Gwyneth shows herself to better advantage than some of her peers, like that twit(terer) Ashton Kutcher and his Demi Moore butt shots.

Take the parts that make sense for your life -- whether it be surprisingly simple, yet tasty recipes culled from her celebrity chef friends, travel tips or Gwyneth's suggestions for keeping in shape -- and consign Sam Ronson's iPod playlist to your trash bin if you're not interested.

By Liz Kelly  | May 21, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spencer Pratt Releases Rap Single; Simon Cowell's Ex Attacked After 'Idol' Finale
Next: Sean Penn Calls Off Separation (Again); Alec Baldwin Banned from Philippines

Comments

No. I will not join you on this trek into all things GOOP-y. She is and will always be the "insouciant one."

Posted by: pras40 | May 21, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

She still annoys me. But, hey, if you found parts of her advice that work for you, more power to you. Just be careful since some of her spoutings are potentially physically dangerous.

Posted by: epjd | May 21, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I also like GOOP. Great product. I've used it for years to clean up after dirty jobs.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | May 21, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me you got brainwashed by an ingredient or two in that Lentil & Sweet Potato Salad. Either that or the toxic shampoo is Kelly Ripa's SNL brand "with just a trace of crack cocaine." Quick! Find a photo of GP in pleated pants! Snap out of it!

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | May 21, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

After you gave a good review of the sweet potato and lentil salad, I made it as well- and it was oh so delicious. Still not willing to give gwenyth a complete pass though. any schmo can have a good recipe. stick to your guns liz. you are being brainwashed!

Posted by: skitch00 | May 21, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

somebody quick! check her basement for pods!

Posted by: memphis1 | May 21, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I like Martha Stewart's website. There's a lot of useful information on it. Does that make her snark-proof to me?

Not on your life!

However, I'm not above tipping my hat to a celebrity blogger who is trying to use her powers for good and not evil.

Posted by: mdreader01 | May 21, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

It's the Tracy Anderson thing that really bothers me. Her fraudulent business practices & padded resume (dropped out of dance school, wasn't in some of the plays she said she was) are bad enough, but I think some of her ridiculous physiology & anatomy claims are setting the women's fitness movement back 50 years (starvation diets, don't ever lift over 3 lbs, etc.) She gets a free pass because she trains Gwyneth, even though Gwyneth was just as small before meeting her.

Posted by: sarahabc | May 21, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh my. This is how it starts. Gwyneth's master plan to take over the world, or at least to bring the snarkiest bloggers, columnists, etc. over to the light and sweetness that is Gwyneth's universe. Goop, indeed. Ick. Nast.

Please, Liz, say it ain't so! Gwyneth is way too snarkworthy to lose as a target!

Posted by: jlessl | May 21, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Is Diane Keaton next?

Posted by: kabuki3 | May 21, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

come'on Liz, She made her husband say that changing diapers is mind cleansing. Please don't tell me you tried that Koolaid recipe.

Posted by: hodie | May 21, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Liz! One recipe and workout DVD do not a reputation make. There are other DVDs (try Miranda Esmonde-White. Mr Liz will thank you.) And I find the sight of Jamie Oliver massaging marinade into a chicken inspiring. That doesn't mean he's going to be my guru (although I wouldn't mind.)
A REAL guru would figure out a way that we can all get a workout and cook a tasty dinner at the same time.

Posted by: possum_pouch | May 21, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Nope I think she sets the standard for snobby, privilaged celebs. I can't stand her, which is really weird because her mom seems so darn nice.

Posted by: supersonic1 | May 21, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I'm highly disappointed in you. You called it right the first time-insouciant.
You must be going through a little spell of boredom to find that blog even remotely interesting. Stay smart.

Posted by: KMRH | May 21, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Liz luh-uhvs Gwyneth, Liz luh-uhvs Gwyneth.

Liz and Gwyneth
Sittin' in a tree
G-O-O-P-I-N-G

Posted by: mat00 | May 21, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh come on, now, don't go piling up on Liz...jeez.

My guess is that Gwyneth is probably a well-meaning person who tends to put her foot in her mouth sometimes. It happens.

And how is her blogging any worse than, oh, all the people who constantly fiddle with their facebook/twitter/whatever pages? You know who you are...

Posted by: owl1 | May 21, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

(and at least she's not out posting pictures of her butt! )

Posted by: owl1 | May 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

"Surely you can join me in forgiving her newbie mistakes?"

Gwynnie is hardly a newbie. She's been saying dumbass things as a celeb for YEARS.

Posted by: jezebel3 | May 22, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I too have fallen under the GOOPy spell of Gwyneth. There are some really good ideas and I do think she works hard at her life. Thanks Liz for getting me hooked!

Posted by: avidwpreader | May 22, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

People. Please don't pile on our Liz for finding some small pearls of wisdom in GOOP.

Liz, because we are friends, we will be here for you when you snap out of it.

In the meantime, enjoy those lentils!

Posted by: TDolla | May 22, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Awww, Honey, "Take the parts that make sense for your life ...and consign (the rest) to your trash bin if you're not interested".
That's what I do with your blog already!

Posted by: memcneill | May 22, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

OMG....Liz had gone over to the dark side!!!

Posted by: irishone | May 22, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDolla | May 22, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I get it. Common sense from a celeb becomes "pearls of wisdom". Liz has it bas, real bad. We'll be here with open arms when she checks out of celeb tedox.

Posted by: jezebel3 | May 22, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Liz luh-uhvs Gwyneth, Liz luh-uhvs Gwyneth.

Liz and Gwyneth
Sittin' in a tree
G-O-O-P-I-N-G

Posted by: mat00 | May 21, 2009 2:57 PM

I should have added, "not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact, it's GOOPtastic!"
Confession: I added a website link to my Favorites that I found on GOOP. It's the one to those really nice French t-shirts.

Posted by: mat00 | May 22, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I've always liked GOOP. I couldn't figure out why you made such fun of her. She's putting herself out there and sharing what she likes in life. You may say her tastes are too expensive, she has no understanding of non-celebrity life, she is spoiled. But she's making an effort - a consistent effort - despite her busy life to share things with others. Not only that, the site is visually appealing, understated, and subtle.

Posted by: lolyla | May 24, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I've always loved Gwyneth and I do enjoy GOOP. So sue me!

Posted by: primakate | May 25, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse